PDA

View Full Version : Adding power to a Pure Storm GT

tennis_enthusiast
02-11-2012, 11:24 PM
I've been messing around with lead on my Pure Storm GT for quite awhile, and I want to get more power out of it. I used to use the Pure Storm Tour GT which I liked a lot, and got plenty of power on, but it was a little bit too heavy.

What would be the best way to "beef" up the power on my racket? I currently use Solinco Tour Bite 16L at 52 lbs.

Open to lots of different recommendations, would love to hear all of your opinions.

dnation
02-12-2012, 05:09 AM
I modified my PSGT. Put a leather grip and 4grams of lead at both 3 & 9.
Now its 335grams with an overgrip and Babolat dampener.
It feels like a slightly lighter PSTourGT and is still easy to swing fast.

The added weight IMHO makes it more stable, gives more power and more plowthrough.

I love the thing with those mods. Huge improvement. If you do a search on forums a lot of other PSGT users say the same thing.

dnation
02-12-2012, 05:11 AM
oh, i forget to say, I use Luxilon BB Flouro string @ 54lb.
U can beef up the power and feel more by replacing that string with Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17 but that may start to get costly because that X-One stuff feels close to natural gut but doesnt last very long.

tennis_enthusiast
02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
If I were to just add lead to the handle instead of doing a leather grip, how much would I need to add to the handle? I use the skin feel grip, but I'm not quite sure what the weight change would be between the skin feel and leather grip.

aerivus
02-12-2012, 09:34 AM
A Babolat Skin Feel grip is around 16g (according to TW and measured by myself). A leather grip (in my case, Babolat Natural Leather), when I put on my racquet tightly, was around 23~4g. Therefore you are looking at about 7~8g of changes on the handle here.

Speaking of customizing PSGT, I currently have mine set 337. 23g added at the handle with a leather grip (8g), an over grip (5g), and lead tapes directly on the handle (10g). 3g added at 3, 9 o'clock for added stability, little added swing weight.

I like my setting as it shifted a lot more to HL balance, thus i get more maneuverability. I can take faster, bolder cuts at the ball now.

tennis_enthusiast
02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Noob question, but what is the significance of weight at the 12 position?

My last setup had 9 grams in the handle, with an overgrip, and 3 grams at 3, and 3 grams at 9. Just didn't feel the best with that set up however. Maybe putting less weight in the handle will feel better than the last setup.

aerivus
02-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Leads on 12 position will significantly increase the swing weight, the heaviness of your racquet when you take a swing (and more power). If you were to put less weight on(in) the handle and put some weight on 12 position, it would significantly shift the balance toward Head Heavy, thus making it kinda harder to control.

However, if you are strong enough, getting enough maneuverability already that you think you don't need the help of HL balance to keep control, you might as well go for it. Like i said, I have 23g added on my handle because as of the stock, I didn't think PSGT was that maneuverable, didn't like the close to even balance. If you are just looking at increasing power, then added weight at 12 would be the way to go.

Xizel
02-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Noob question, but what is the significance of weight at the 12 position?

My last setup had 9 grams in the handle, with an overgrip, and 3 grams at 3, and 3 grams at 9. Just didn't feel the best with that set up however. Maybe putting less weight in the handle will feel better than the last setup.

Lead at 12 increases spin potential and is a topic of interest in the concept of polarization. You should be able to keep the same swing speed, but with greater mass, you attain greater spin, although keeping up that swing speed throughout an entire match is the drawback.

tennis_enthusiast
02-12-2012, 01:34 PM
So lead at 12 increases spin and power but reduces control? My biggest complaint about my current set up is that there is a lack of power. I may try 6 grams in the handle this time around.

If I take the tape off at 12 what is the biggest change that I will notice?

Torres
02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I'd sell it and buy the Pure Tour (both on the Bay if you're trying to save money).

PSGT doesn't take extra weight that well IMO as its already weighted towards the head. Lead in the hoop and counterbalancing should really be for small tweaks, not major additions of weight that put you into a different category of racquet.