PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Pure Drives including Roddick version

Federerkblade
02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Looking for guidance on what string set up users have found works well with the Pure Drives for 2012. If people do have recommendations that would be great ?

richsox
02-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I always string mine with VS Touch at 57lbs.

Federerkblade
02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
vs touch would add too much power for me to an already very powerful racquet. For comfort yes.

JDMasFCK
02-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Currently have my PDR with full bed of Genesis Black Magic at 54LBS, but for tourneys I go VS 16G (black) in mains and RPM 17G in crosses both at 54LBS.

Drew_a_blank
02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
What is your playing style, and what kind of strokes do you hit? what do you usually look for in your string/racket combination? Any string can work in any racket for one person, and be awful for the next.

I currently use the Pure Drive Woofer, strung with Dunlop's Black Widow at ~59lbs, I'm still fine-tuning my ideal tension. This string has excellent spin potential, and a very unique feel. I recently tried BHBR (big hitter blue rough) and couldn't stand it. Many on the boards here love it though, it just wasn't for me unfortunately.

Post some more details, and we should be able to give you better advise!

Dgdavid
02-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Was thinking about ordering a PD Roddick and was just going to go RPM Blast at mid-tension (which I think is 58lbs).

Federerkblade
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi David and Drew a Blank.

In regards to my playing style it is essentially baseline , only approaching the net at offensive situations which is rare but is increasing.

I have played previously with a hybrid gut and pro hurricane tour combo but that may be too powerful for pure drive.

I am currently playing with a blx blade strung with solinco tour bite 1.25.

I have also previously played with full bed of hurricane tour previously.

I have got my hands on a decathlon pure drive demo from decathlon which im very happy about.

Cheers.

Drew_a_blank
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
There Are a few different options you can take to deal with the PD's power.
You could do a hybrid of Poly mains and synthetic crosses at a higher tension. I used to use Babolat Pro Hurricane with Prince Synthetic, and really liked this setup. it got a bit expensive, because I was breaking strings every 12 hours or so. If you aren't a string breaker, this could be a good option, just go with a higher tension.

You can also do a full-bed Poly. Others can probably help you more with different options for this than I can, but if you like the Solinco, try it with the Babolat at a few lbs. higher than you string the Wilson at? Good Luck!

Nostradamus
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
in my opinion, gut would make this too powerful of a racket. more of low powered multi + RPM team setup would work best. Low powered poly like addiction perhaps.

Federerkblade
02-13-2012, 09:48 PM
what a rpm team set up

LanEvo
02-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I am on the PDR Originals, but I use a Multi. Something along the lines of NXT Control or Hollow Core strung in the Mid 50s, 56-58. It is soft with nice power and control.

Dgdavid
02-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Would RPM Blast at 58lbs be too much?

Federerkblade
02-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Iv just tested the pure drive in stock form with factory excel strings. Its a brilliant racquet with many of the qualities of reviews I have read. Perhaps a bit wild on slice but perhaps a string can sort that out.

I dont know if a full poly would go well or a hybrid or even a good co poly.

Federerkblade
02-14-2012, 07:26 AM
david I suggest you get hold of this of this one.

Yourtenniscoach
02-14-2012, 07:43 AM
I've always had good success using Gosen OG Sheep Micro in PDRs. Its nice soft syn gut that helps to level off the stiffness of the frame.