PDA

View Full Version : Most durable tennis shoe ever...

zerojoshua
02-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Well, I am not a pro tennis player, but I am an athlete and wear through my shoes like butter. I started playing tennis, obsessively, 2 years and 3 months ago for 2 to 3 hours a days a week except on vacation, rain, snow, and obligations.

I assure you my tennis form has many flaws which I try to make up for by using athleticism and speed. Before tennis my obsessions were running, basketball, bicycling and whatever excuse I could find to move. None the less, the best tennis shoe I have ever owned by far has been:

1. Rod Laver originals (Around 3 months) :)
2. Stan Smith (Around 2 and a half months)
3. Wilson Pro Staff ( 2 months)
4. Tie , Barricade 6 ( 1 1/2 months with shoe goo on toe)
.. Nike Air Court Ballistec 3.1 ( 1 1/2 month with shoe goo on toe)

I've had quite a few other shoes not worth mentioning. (Ate through all of my basketball shoes before I started purchasing tennis shoes.

Yes, I probably pivot to much, like a basketball player......

I would like to try K-Swiss originals to see how they perform.

What has been the most durable shoes others have used?

NJ1
02-12-2012, 10:37 AM
For your issues, buy the Ballistec 3.3s. They're on sale, have a 6 mos warranty, and are suited to toe draggers due to the large amount of rubber and plastic up front.

frunk
02-12-2012, 10:41 AM
SIKE i wear the toes down on the ballistecs in less than 8 hours! Definitely not enough toe rubber there!

kingofstring
02-12-2012, 11:24 AM
SIKE i wear the toes down on the ballistecs in less than 8 hours! Definitely not enough toe rubber there!

I know I wear them down even faster especially when working on my backhand.

zerojoshua
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
When I modified my Barricades with part of a tennis ball, I was accused of playing tennis wrong. :confused:

Well at least I'm not the only one that "plays tennis wrong."

Kenny022593
02-13-2012, 05:29 AM
When I modified my Barricades with part of a tennis ball, I was accused of playing tennis wrong. :confused:

Well at least I'm not the only one that "plays tennis wrong."

Don't pay attention to what every was saying.... If it was working, why switch it?

babolat king
02-13-2012, 07:07 AM

No Way! There is a difference between worn a little bit and worn down. 8 hours come on? If that was the case then why doesn't Nike offer a 10 hour warranty?

fuzz nation
02-14-2012, 06:42 AM
The big boost in shoe durability happened for me when I got sneaks that matched my foot especially well and gave me good neutral alignment with the court surface. I first found this with a pair of original Diadora Speedzones, but then moved on to the Asics Gel Game. I'm currently rotating three sets and doing fine.

With that neutral alignment, the wear pattern on the bottoms of my sneaks is even across the front half of my treads (under the balls of my feet). Without the right alignment, I'd see greater wear along either the inside edge or the outside edge. Since that friction is well dispersed with the right shoes, I don't get that accelerated wear in just one spot.

That issue of proper ankle alignment usually comes up when we're discussing aspects of knee and ankle comfort and that's certainly a high priority. This extra benefit of even wear and longer shoe life just makes for some bonus points for me.

zerojoshua
02-14-2012, 06:45 AM
The big boost in shoe durability happened for me when I got sneaks that matched my foot especially well and gave me good neutral alignment with the court surface. I first found this with a pair of original Diadora Speedzones, but then moved on to the Asics Gel Game. I'm currently rotating three sets and doing fine.

With that neutral alignment, the wear pattern on the bottoms of my sneaks is even across the front half of my treads (under the balls of my feet). Without the right alignment, I'd see greater wear along either the inside edge or the outside edge. Since that friction is well dispersed with the right shoes, I don't get that accelerated wear in just one spot.

That issue of proper ankle alignment usually comes up when we're discussing aspects of knee and ankle comfort and that's certainly a high priority. This extra benefit of even wear and longer shoe life just makes for some bonus points for me.

You may be right. The best shoes I listed were flat bottom shoes.

anhuynh16
02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
No Way! There is a difference between worn a little bit and worn down. 8 hours come on? If that was the case then why doesn't Nike offer a 10 hour warranty?

It happens all the time, just like people who break strings every hour.