PDA

View Full Version : Changing the balance

wao
02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
If I have a current racquet and wanted to make it more head light I know that I would need to add weight to under the grip or remove the butt cap. My current racquet is 6pts HL and I wanted to experment with moving it to 8-9pts HL. How much weight should I have to add? I don't have a balance scale only static weight. Current racquet is 12 oz (320g)
Wayne

prjacobs
02-12-2012, 08:19 PM
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php

wao
02-12-2012, 08:24 PM
prjacobs thanks but I don't know what my ending sw would be to calculate. unless I am missing something.

prjacobs
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm obviously not an expert with this tool, but it seems that you don't need the ending sw. I just arbitrarily put in 325 as your desired weight and changed the balance from 6 points HL to 8 points. It's my understanding that each HL point is 1/8" so your starting balance point is 12.75 and 8 points light would be 12.5. You can start from there and then vary your desired weight.

lgbalfa
02-12-2012, 09:02 PM
by adding weight to the handle to increase the balance, it won't necessary change the swingweight at all right?

prjacobs
02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
If you really want to go old school, just put some strips of lead on top of your grip and see when the balance point gets to where you want it. As lgbalfa says above, the difference in swing weight will be minimal.

ian2
02-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Wayne, do you really know the actual stats of your frame? I mean, 320g does not equal 12 oz. 12.0oz = 340g... to me, 20g is a very substantial difference. Or did you mean 320g unstrung? And how do you know that the balance is 6 pts HL? Did you actually measure the balance (didn't sound like you did, though it's easy to do even without a balance board), or do you go by what the "published" specs say? If the latter, your actual balance could be off by 3-4 pts either way, easily.

But if you don't really care about the specs and just want to change the balance, then here are rough guidelines. Adding 4-5g near the bottom of the handle (i.e. under the butt cap) will result in 1 pt more head-light balance. Or you could put lead tape on the handle just above the grip, but then you'd need approx. 8 gram to change the balance by 1 pt. Or you can add lead under the grip adjusting the weight accordingly... You get the idea.

Regarding swingweight: adding weight at the bottom of the handle (regardless of the amount) will have negligible effect... basically SW will stay the same. Adding (or removing) weight from the top of the head will have most effect. There are many variables here but roughly, 1g lead at the top of the frame (12 o'clock) = 3 pts increase in SW.

wao
02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Wayne, do you really know the actual stats of your frame? I mean, 320g does not equal 12 oz. 12.0oz = 340g... to me, 20g is a very substantial difference. Or did you mean 320g unstrung? And how do you know that the balance is 6 pts HL? Did you actually measure the balance (didn't sound like you did, though it's easy to do even without a balance board), or do you go by what the "published" specs say? If the latter, your actual balance could be off by 3-4 pts either way, easily.

But if you don't really care about the specs and just want to change the balance, then here are rough guidelines. Adding 4-5g near the bottom of the handle (i.e. under the butt cap) will result in 1 pt more head-light balance. Or you could put lead tape on the handle just above the grip, but then you'd need approx. 8 gram to change the balance by 1 pt. Or you can add lead under the grip adjusting the weight accordingly... You get the idea.

Regarding swingweight: adding weight at the bottom of the handle (regardless of the amount) will have negligible effect... basically SW will stay the same. Adding (or removing) weight from the top of the head will have most effect. There are many variables here but roughly, 1g lead at the top of the frame (12 o'clock) = 3 pts increase in SW.ian2 THANK YOU: I have the new Prestige Pro and the specs are

Head Size:
98 sq. in. / 632.26 sq. cm.
Length: 27in / 68.58cm
Strung Weight: 12.2oz / 345.86g
Balance: 6 pts HL
Swingweight: 321

I will give between 6-8 grams and see how that feels.
Thanks again
W

rlau
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
ian2 THANK YOU: I have the new Prestige Pro and the specs are

Head Size:
98 sq. in. / 632.26 sq. cm.
Length: 27in / 68.58cm
Strung Weight: 12.2oz / 345.86g
Balance: 6 pts HL
Swingweight: 321

On paper, yes. But that does not necessarily mean your frame has those specs. You should check them, not just assume they are correct.

I will give between 6-8 grams and see how that feels.
Thanks again
W

That can turn out to be a pretty high amount, depending on where you put it. On the handle it would not make too much of a difference, but if you put them on the hoop I'd advise to start with smaller amounts.

prjacobs
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM
On paper, yes. But that does not necessarily mean your frame has those specs. You should check them, not just assume they are correct.

That can turn out to be a pretty high amount, depending on where you put it. On the handle it would not make too much of a difference, but if you put them on the hoop I'd advise to start with smaller amounts.

Quite true. On both counts :).