PDA

View Full Version : Defending on the bh side...

martini1
02-13-2012, 02:23 AM
My opponent is not very strong, but once in while there is a backhand cc angle shot I could not get to. I tried staying on my toes and split step, sometimes even lunging but the most I could get is just a mere contact. Many times the ball would fail to reach the other side, needless to say depth. It should not be an instant winner (too slow, no pace) that easily!

Is there any drills or ways that could help me to get to the backhand side quicker and be able to hit the ball back? I use 2hbh but I could do some basic bh slides. And no, I don't know how to do that 180 bh slide (with my torso facing the back fence).

syc23
02-13-2012, 03:42 AM
Learn to play a single handed backhand slice when you recognise you can't get your DBH onto the ball. I had the same problems as you when I was first learning the game 6 months ago, playing lefties was a real problem returning serves so I've learned to either slice it back, add back spin or block return if my opponent has a rocket serve.

BU-Tennis
02-13-2012, 04:54 AM
It sounds to me like improving your fitness and movement will of course help you in all of your on-court endeavours but what you struggle with is leaving your opponent an easy ball to put away.

One great tip I received during a college match was the sharper the angle I hit, then the sharper the angle my opponent can hit. So my bet is you are hitting CC but you're leaving the ball a little short.

Try adding more topspin which will help kick the ball up higher so its not so easy to attack, along with improving footwork.

02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Ball may be too slow, but seems you are slower.
I expect that ball is better than you want to give him credit for if you can't get
there. I bet you are not really that slow and his ball is a pretty nice shot.

That said, offset and favor that side some like most pros do, especially if you cover better to the Fh side.

LeeD
02-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah, get faster, don't give up sitters, cheat towards your own backhand side, hit 1hbh slice when run hard.

martini1
02-13-2012, 07:33 PM
I think I am reasonably quick on the feet on most occasions. On the FH side I can run several feet outside the side line to hit the ball back CC or DTL. Just can't find myself comfortable hitting bh on the run for some reason.

Yes, I tried the one hand bh slice too. Not great at it on the run so far.

chrisberchris
02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
I second the 1hbh slice on the run.. I love to watch Federer get to those. You just need to get a hitting partner to practice shots like that with

martini1
02-13-2012, 07:37 PM
It sounds to me like improving your fitness and movement will of course help you in all of your on-court endeavours but what you struggle with is leaving your opponent an easy ball to put away.

One great tip I received during a college match was the sharper the angle I hit, then the sharper the angle my opponent can hit. So my bet is you are hitting CC but you're leaving the ball a little short.

Try adding more topspin which will help kick the ball up higher so its not so easy to attack, along with improving footwork.

Yes, sometimes I play my bh a bit too safe. Giving them a chance to hit an angle cc back. I am learning a more open stance bh now I can hit a bh cc winner inside the service line, but I need a short/weak ball coming back first. Still working on that. :)

martini1
02-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys!