PDA

View Full Version : New Alpha Machine

Clintspin
02-13-2012, 04:30 AM
http://www.newtechtennis.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=169

Have you seen it? Looks like the side arms and center posts are metal with no hard plastic pieces. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks that way.

COPEY
02-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Slick! Might have to consider selling my Apex II/Wise for an upgrade!

Irvin
02-13-2012, 05:11 AM
My guess is the whole support is plastic and not metal.

Irvin
02-13-2012, 05:13 AM
I hope that crank comes off if that won't catch a string nothing will.

coachrick
02-13-2012, 08:41 AM

Good point...hopefully, the crank arm can be 'released' and positioned in the 12 o'clock setting, thus minimizing the chance of snagging a string.

Also, that's a smooth looking floor base, but my size 14s would be banging into it regularly.

Overall, a sleek looking machine! Some of us live only about 5 miles from their 'store'. Mayhaps I'll drop by and take a look ;) .

COPEY
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM

That would be ideal, but honestly, I don't see it as any more problematic than some of the uprights with reel holders or tool trays that sit below the turntable.

Irvin
02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
...Overall, a sleek looking machine! Some of us live only about 5 miles from their 'store'. Mayhaps I'll drop by and take a look ;) .

If you do go by let us know what you think of the machine up close. It look like the tension is off center from the turntable and it appears the turntable 6 and 12 mounts adjust individually. I do like the single adjustment for the top and bottom outside supports.

Rabbit
02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Apparently the same tension head as the Bairdo. Price to match nearly as well, $3350.

Love50
02-13-2012, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it shares the same manufacturer as the Prince 6000 (or is a good copy). Many of the parts appear to be the same though wrapped in a newer design.

The "crank arm" on the Prince 6000 just pulls off, it is not fixed in place at all. In fact, it will fall off if you try to move the base without taking it off...

The clamp track is elliptical, looks sexier than the straight track on the Prince but would have to try it to decide if it is functionally better. Clamps and tensioning head look the same. 12 and 6 supports are "modified", side supports look the same.

On the Prince, the 12 and 6 supports do adjust independently and it looks to be the same adjustment system, mechanically speaking. There is an extra metal piece that goes into the mounting tower, which I assume helps it to be more rigid against twisting.

@Rabbit, I don't believe it is the same as the Baiardo tension head. Take a look at the Prince 5000/6000 tension heads.

mad dog1
02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Good point...hopefully, the crank arm can be 'released' and positioned in the 12 o'clock setting, thus minimizing the chance of snagging a string.

Also, that's a smooth looking floor base, but my size 14s would be banging into it regularly.

Overall, a sleek looking machine! Some of us live only about 5 miles from their 'store'. Mayhaps I'll drop by and take a look ;) .

the babolat sensor has the same base.

mad dog1
02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
My guess is the whole support is plastic and not metal.

if you mean the upright support, i'd say it's metal. looks very, very similar to the support of the babolat sensor.

Rabbit
02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it shares the same manufacturer as the Prince 6000 (or is a good copy). Many of the parts appear to be the same though wrapped in a newer design.

The "crank arm" on the Prince 6000 just pulls off, it is not fixed in place at all. In fact, it will fall off if you try to move the base without taking it off...

The clamp track is elliptical, looks sexier than the straight track on the Prince but would have to try it to decide if it is functionally better. Clamps and tensioning head look the same. 12 and 6 supports are "modified", side supports look the same.

On the Prince, the 12 and 6 supports do adjust independently and it looks to be the same adjustment system, mechanically speaking. There is an extra metal piece that goes into the mounting tower, which I assume helps it to be more rigid against twisting.

@Rabbit, I don't believe it is the same as the Baiardo tension head. Take a look at the Prince 5000/6000 tension heads.

Rabbit not know. :)

I Googled the machine name, Alpha Phantom, and someone had said that it was the same tension head as the Wilson machine. I just parroted that here.

bigmatt
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I got to try an early model of the Phantom at the GSS Symposium. It comes with quite a few adapters for the 6 and 12 o'clock supports to do a variety of racquets; it appears none were attached to the machine in the picture.
I was told who makes it, but it's slipped my mind. Nothing about the Baiardo that I can recollect, though. At least 3 pulling speeds, prestretch, knot button, and a great lock for 03 frames.
It was a solid machine, quite easy to use. The adaptability for racquetball and badminton was great, and it should be considered by those who do a lot of either/both.

Irvin
02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
if you mean the upright support, i'd say it's metal. looks very, very similar to the support of the babolat sensor.

No I was talking about the four outside supports that are attached to the metal arms that turn in and not the 6 and 12 supports.

jim e
02-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Rabbit not know. :)

I Googled the machine name, Alpha Phantom, and someone had said that it was the same tension head as the Wilson machine. I just parroted that here.

Looks like similar tension head as my Pro Master machine (xtremesportsmachines), which is the same as the older style Wilson machine from 2006-2007 era . Looks like same mounting arms as my machine as well.
Probably only a few different machine manufacturers and looks like those few supply parts or actually make a # different makes rebranded with some minor changes from time to time.

mad dog1
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
No I was talking about the four outside supports that are attached to the metal arms that turn in and not the 6 and 12 supports.

oh, ok. yeah, those are probably made out of some hard plastic/nylon material.

Irvin
02-14-2012, 05:19 AM
That is my guess it looks like there are two screws holding them on the arms.