PDA

View Full Version : Head vs. Wilson Racquets

WilsonPlayer101
02-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Even though different manufactures might have racquets of similar specs or the same specs, the technology, the design and other factors make different makers of racquets different in terms of feel and playability. I suppose there is not one feel for each brand of racquets because in each brand there are different designs and technologies too but there might be some underlying similarities within a racquet makers racquets which differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

My question is this. I used to use Wilson racquets from about 1993 to 2010 then I demoed at TW some Head brands. I loved the Micgrogel Radical MP so I purchased one from TW. I eventually ended up with a Youtek Prestige MP. But the other day I purchased used at the Salvation Army store a Wilson nBlade MP which I love. I know it's the "honeymoon" phase right now but so far I have been hitting better with this than any Head brand I have had, I am winning more in the past few days too. I have demoed some Wilsons too and liked them but I still went with the Head racquets.

I know my nBlade might not be like the other Wilson racquets but my question is in general do you prefer Head or Wilson racquets and why? Is there a general consensus about the feel of one over the other brand even though within each brand there might be some differences, but overall is there a certain feel about each brand that you can describe that you prefer over the other?

Thanks

ryushen21
02-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Here's the thing with Head and Wilson, they are really competing against each other to make essentially the same frames. They both have a pretty similar lineup and offering in terms of size, power levels etc. with just enough to differences to make them distinctive to their respective brands. Head really focuses on more classic soft feeling player's frames and I think that Wilson is more renowned for having the classic stiff feel to theirs. Wilson also has traditionally had a much wider offering of frames than any other manufacturer I know of.

That being said, I used to hate Wilsons and love Heads. I still love Head frames for their feel and play but I currently use Wilsons simply because I play better with them.

rich s
02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
The majority of my sticks have been Head.... somewhat because of feel and specs but largely due to the fact that Wilson discontinues sticks and changes their line-up so frequently that I don't like having to go thru the demo process to find a new stick whenever I need to replace a racquet or add one to the rotation......

my $.02

Larrysümmers
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
i like them equally. i have a prestige mid in my bag along with a blx 95.

WilsonPlayer101
02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
i like them equally. i have a prestige mid in my bag along with a blx 95.

Not that one has to have a tennis bag by the same manufacturer as your racquet but curious since you have both Head and Wilson, do you have a Wilson or Head tennis bag or some other brand?

WilsonPlayer101
02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Well, I have to hit more with the nBlade to find out how much I like it but I loved playing with it for the past few days. I liked my Head Youtek Prestige when I first got it but after awhile I figured it's not as good for my game as I thought and just by chance I got this Wilson nBlade and I really am playing well with it. So I don't know. I gotta play with the nBlade more and go back to the Prestige and see what happens. I did add some lead to the Prestige recently but did not play with it much at all after the lead. The Prestige in stock form may be a bit too head light for me, that might be the problem so I have to try it with the added weight to it and see if that does it.

I think the nBlade is only 2 points headlight, the Prestige stock is 7 if I recall correctly.

I am looking at the Prince EXO3 Rebel. Similar specs as the nBlade so that makes me curious. Never was into Prince racquets but might try them. There is a Pacific, I think the Force that is similar to the nBlade that I would like to try too.

Cup8489
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, I have to hit more with the nBlade to find out how much I like it but I loved playing with it for the past few days. I liked my Head Youtek Prestige when I first got it but after awhile I figured it's not as good for my game as I thought and just by chance I got this Wilson nBlade and I really am playing well with it. So I don't know. I gotta play with the nBlade more and go back to the Prestige and see what happens. I did add some lead to the Prestige recently but did not play with it much at all after the lead. The Prestige in stock form may be a bit too head light for me, that might be the problem so I have to try it with the added weight to it and see if that does it.

I think the nBlade is only 2 points headlight, the Prestige stock is 7 if I recall correctly.

I am looking at the Prince EXO3 Rebel. Similar specs as the nBlade so that makes me curious. Never was into Prince racquets but might try them. There is a Pacific, I think the Force that is similar to the nBlade that I would like to try too.

the Rebel isn't really close to the blade, in my opinion. The radical series is similar to it, but they have a different feel.

You might try out the LM Radical if you wanted a head equivalent.. the prestige is a different animal, and the Rebel is closer to the prestige in spec than the nblade.

Fed Kennedy
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
I'll go with wilson for power, pws and feel. And gripshape.

The head is good if you want soft and you like to customize.

The wilson is one of the only frames that comes to you box beamed, silicone injected, leather gripped right out of the box. QC is awful on both, if you are anal about specs, have TW match them.

WilsonPlayer101
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
the Rebel isn't really close to the blade, in my opinion. The radical series is similar to it, but they have a different feel.

You might try out the LM Radical if you wanted a head equivalent.. the prestige is a different animal, and the Rebel is closer to the prestige in spec than the nblade.

Cup, I also have a Microgel Radical and altho I liked it or like it, I got the Prestige to have a little more power and alto I like the power of the Prestige after trying the nBlade I like the nBlade more. I like the feel to it when I hit the ball with it. Something special about it.

Wish Wilson would make the nBlade again. I am late to the party on that one. Got it used and it's probably about a five year old racquet. That's how late I am on this.

I really need to try that Rebel. I should demo it from TW in a couple of weeks. Wanna play with my nBlade for a couple more weeks first to get to know it better then compare to the Rebel, the Pacific and see how they are compared.

Thanks

Larrysümmers
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Not that one has to have a tennis bag by the same manufacturer as your racquet but curious since you have both Head and Wilson, do you have a Wilson or Head tennis bag or some other brand?

well i use a wilson super 6 pack, but i also use a head 3 pack bag. lol

sunof tennis
02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Even though different manufactures might have racquets of similar specs or the same specs, the technology, the design and other factors make different makers of racquets different in terms of feel and playability. I suppose there is not one feel for each brand of racquets because in each brand there are different designs and technologies too but there might be some underlying similarities within a racquet makers racquets which differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

My question is this. I used to use Wilson racquets from about 1993 to 2010 then I demoed at TW some Head brands. I loved the Micgrogel Radical MP so I purchased one from TW. I eventually ended up with a Youtek Prestige MP. But the other day I purchased used at the Salvation Army store a Wilson nBlade MP which I love. I know it's the "honeymoon" phase right now but so far I have been hitting better with this than any Head brand I have had, I am winning more in the past few days too. I have demoed some Wilsons too and liked them but I still went with the Head racquets.

I know my nBlade might not be like the other Wilson racquets but my question is in general do you prefer Head or Wilson racquets and why? Is there a general consensus about the feel of one over the other brand even though within each brand there might be some differences, but overall is there a certain feel about each brand that you can describe that you prefer over the other?

Thanks

That's interesting. I believe the NBlades (at least the MP) were to be Wilson's answer to the Radicals. The blades got stiffer with the K and BLX series. Radicals should still play the closest to your old NBlades. If you want a slightly heavier racquet in the Head line, try the Prestige MP.

Lefty78
02-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Sounds like you need the BA 98

ZeroSkid
02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
The Wilson Six One line blows away anything Head has, the prestiges are okay

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-13-2012, 11:57 PM

:shock: HUH?! :confused:

The Wilson Six One line, formerly known and re-introduced as Pro Staff, doesn't blow anything away. The Prestige line are not just okay, they're great.

It's called different strokes for different folks.

cknobman
02-14-2012, 07:11 AM
I will never play with Head simply due to the grip shape. Cant get used to it. Prince, Wilson, Dunlop while all slightly different are fairly easy to get used to unlike Head who is completely out in left field with their grip shape.

rudester
02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
I will never play with Head simply due to the grip shape. Cant get used to it. Prince, Wilson, Dunlop while all slightly different are fairly easy to get used to unlike Head who is completely out in left field with their grip shape.

+1..... wish TK82S pallets were more available.

WilsonPlayer101
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

I believe you when you say the grip shape is different between Head and other company's but I don't notice any difference to me. I am not sure why I don't notice any big differences between grip shapes between the different racquet makers.

cork_screw
02-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I prefer to rally and like warming up with Wilson racquets. I also prefer them when playing doubles and think they make overall great racquets. They're versatile, good at slicing, chipping, blocking and have a nice punch and spin to them. But when it comes to playing sets, mainly singles, I prefer Head. I think I serve much better with head and I get a little more power from them too and it's actually easier to flatten out the ball too.

Blitzball
02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Head
More comfort-based, flexible racquets more suitable for baseliners.

Wilson
More stable, stiffer racquets more suitable for the all-court player.

I personally prefer Wilson racquets simply because I play more consistently with them, but Head is solid too.

sansaephanh
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Prince has their ports + flex + muted feel

Agreed wilson has been releasing racquet lines trying to implement classic feels into modern frames.

Agreed that head is the medium brand for softeness, but I tend to think their rackets feel more powerful then anything else i play with. Second to babo of course.

Babolat has power + stiffness + great spin potential.

I dont much else about other brands. Played some of the old donnays and random tweeners, but I havent tried many of the other brands. Yonex is a interesting one. Someone give me a breakdown of what you think they're all about.

USERNAME
02-14-2012, 11:17 PM

I say the 6.1 is O-K and the Prestige is GREAT. But thats just me.

stormholloway
02-14-2012, 11:41 PM
For me, the last truly great racquet Head made was the i.Prestige mid. It's been awhile for them.

Cup8489
02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Cup, I also have a Microgel Radical and altho I liked it or like it, I got the Prestige to have a little more power and alto I like the power of the Prestige after trying the nBlade I like the nBlade more. I like the feel to it when I hit the ball with it. Something special about it.

Wish Wilson would make the nBlade again. I am late to the party on that one. Got it used and it's probably about a five year old racquet. That's how late I am on this.

I really need to try that Rebel. I should demo it from TW in a couple of weeks. Wanna play with my nBlade for a couple more weeks first to get to know it better then compare to the Rebel, the Pacific and see how they are compared.

Thanks

The Prestige and Rebel are both lower powered than the Radical. The Rebel has a high enough sw that spin isn't as easy to generate as with the two head frames... you really are comparing apples to oranges here.

ZeroSkid
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I say the 6.1 is O-K and the Prestige is GREAT. But thats just me.

Actually I was wrong they are both great but I feel like the Prestige suits a player with flatter strokes

ChicagoJack
02-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I'll go with wilson for power, pws and feel. And gripshape.

The head is good if you want soft and you like to customize.

The wilson is one of the only frames that comes to you box beamed, silicone injected, leather gripped right out of the box. QC is awful on both, if you are anal about specs, have TW match them.

Rruuh? (scooby doo ears at alert). Which wilsons are silicone injected right out of the box?

Robbnc
02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
+1..... wish TK82S pallets were more available.

They aren't that hard to find. I have 2 Microgel MP's with Tk82s grips and love them. It's a whole different racquet with that grip, best of both worlds.

I have a Rebel 95 too with ports and strung with gut. That's one soft sweet hitting racquet but you have to hit flatter for sure, or at least I do.

Fed Kennedy
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Rruuh? (scooby doo ears at alert). Which wilsons are silicone injected right out of the box?

Blx90, psblx90

Power Player
02-20-2012, 01:28 PM

6.1 95 and Pro Open as well.

The Baseline
02-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Here's the thing with Head and Wilson, they are really competing against each other to make essentially the same frames. They both have a pretty similar lineup and offering in terms of size, power levels etc. with just enough to differences to make them distinctive to their respective brands. Head really focuses on more classic soft feeling player's frames and I think that Wilson is more renowned for having the classic stiff feel to theirs. Wilson also has traditionally had a much wider offering of frames than any other manufacturer I know of.

That being said, I used to hate Wilsons and love Heads. I still love Head frames for their feel and play but I currently use Wilsons simply because I play better with them.

Wilson is making some really good frames as of late. Their BLX Pro Open is better than the Babolat Aerodrives and Pure Drives, yet not a lot of people hit with them.

TopspinAce
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm stuck in between these 2 Brands

And Racket
My profile- 1hbn, Flat Forehand (personal preference) Big serves, serve/volley 5.0 NTRP, Prefer 335g or a bit more
Head Prestige Mid
Head Prestige Pro
Wilson-?
Any suggestions

Use a Head Youtek Speed 16/19 at 55 with solinco rev.

Shruf
02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
What's wrong with babolat

Larrysümmers
02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm stuck in between these 2 Brands

And Racket
My profile- 1hbn, Flat Forehand (personal preference) Big serves, serve/volley 5.0 NTRP, Prefer 335g or a bit more
Head Prestige Mid
Head Prestige Pro
Wilson-?
Any suggestions

Use a Head Youtek Speed 16/19 at 55 with solinco rev.

prestige mid gave me some big serves and big flat backhands, and nice volleys. but i feel my blx 95 16*18 does that and gives me more, needed, spin on my FH. plus that extra head size helps.
what didnt you like about the speed? i loved that racket when i demod it, was going to buy it but i got a good deal on a used blx. i personally think that at 5.0 and being SV player you should stay away from the mid size

TopspinAce
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Sampras used an 85sqinch and he sv ...:-?

TopspinAce
02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
prestige mid gave me some big serves and big flat backhands, and nice volleys. but i feel my blx 95 16*18 does that and gives me more, needed, spin on my FH. plus that extra head size helps.
what didnt you like about the speed? i loved that racket when i demod it, was going to buy it but i got a good deal on a used blx. i personally think that at 5.0 and being SV player you should stay away from the mid size

and the prestige pro? I think Im leaning towards the midplus, seems really nice and cant wait to demo it when it comes to Canada

Larrysümmers
02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
he also grew up with wooden rackets and at that time 85 was "big." you can really feel the extra forgiveness and that extra power really comes in handy, even tho its only 5sqin.

and i thought the prestige pro felt funny so i havnt hit with it much.

TopspinAce
02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
he also grew up with wooden rackets and at that time 85 was "big." you can really feel the extra forgiveness and that extra power really comes in handy, even tho its only 5sqin.

LOL this made me laugh, true tho:)

WilsonPlayer101
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
What's wrong with babolat

Nothing wrong with Babolat at all.

WilsonPlayer101
02-20-2012, 09:19 PM

In the '70s I grew up with wooden racquets too and in the '80s I bought a Head Arthur Ashe and an Adidas Ivan Lendl racquet. Not giant heads at all but when I saw Prince I thought man those are giant heads on the tennis racquets. We used to call them cheater racquets but that size is standard now or even smaller than standard now. It's all relative.

Harry_Wild
02-22-2012, 11:26 PM
I just purchased a new IG Prestige Mid! I heading more towards Head's new models then Wilsons.

WilsonPlayer101
02-23-2012, 07:26 AM
I just purchased a new IG Prestige Mid! I heading more towards Head's new models then Wilsons.

Harry, did you demo it first or did you buy it just after reading reviews of it? Do you have it yet?

ryushen21
02-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Wilson is making some really good frames as of late. Their BLX Pro Open is better than the Babolat Aerodrives and Pure Drives, yet not a lot of people hit with them.

And I think this, to an extent validates my claim. Both Wilson and Head are now realizing that Babolat is making a serious impact in the tennis world and both manufacturers are making racquets that mimic frames that Babolat makes. However, with such a large number of offerings, these frames get overlooked as their flagship lines get the most attention.

FWIW, I've been thinking that the reason I love the nCode so much is because it's like the love child of a Head engineer and a Wilson designer. It doesn't have nearly the stiffness that most Wilsons have yet it retains the power and the control and precisions are only matched or exceeded by the Prestige frames. Now the question is whether or not I want to shell out the money to have a custom Head grip shape applied to my beloved nCodes.

spillai
02-25-2012, 07:12 AM
I personally think that Wilson really created a nice line of rackets with the BLX and now the pro staffs. Head's rackets don't feel as nice on groundies

TopspinAce
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I personally think that Wilson really created a nice line of rackets with the BLX and now the pro staffs. Head's rackets don't feel as nice on groundies

I HAVE NO IDEA

ryushen21
02-28-2012, 07:55 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I think that the new Prestige MP feels better (in terms, of comfort, response, touch, etc) than the current 6.1 and Blades. I can hit some really nice shots with that frame.

I think that Head more consistently produces similar racquets while Wilson hits one out of the park every once in a while.