PDA

View Full Version : K90 User Compares K90 to new BLXPS 90

asifallasleep
02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
In comparison the the K90 and to a degree the BLX90, Wilson's new BLXPS90 feels like a toy. It's lighter, easier to use, and more spin friendly. Feels like a tweener frame to me. Like Wilson wants to make it closer to the Babolat line of racquets. You can spin with ease off both sides, but you definitely lose pace, plowthrough and power. The whole point imo of the 90 line was the plowthrough. You had to work a bit harder and get setup earlier, but you were rewarded with the plowthrough. With the BLXPS90, I feel that the only thing you are rewarded with is a rally racquet. Lot's of spin, less depth on your shots, less feel for the ball, easier on the arm, easier to play with, but less rewarding.

If I wanted a racquet that was easier to hit with, that rewarded me with loads of spin, I wouldn't be looking at a 90 inch frame from Wilson. There are a lot of frames by other manufacturers that do that much much better than Wilson. See Babolat.

The 90 line was never suitable for the masses, so what's the point of continually tweaking it to make it "easier" to play with? Perfection was attained with the K90. A tweener 90 frame makes absolutely no sense.

K90
More feel
More plow through
More power

BLXPS90
Less feel than the BLX and definitely less feel than K90
Beam feels thicker
Swingweight lighter and quicker than K90 and BLX90
Less power than both previous models

corners
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
The BLX PS 90 is about the same weight, but with a little higher swingweight, than the Pro Staff 85. Try calling the PS85 a toy.

michaelscoots
02-13-2012, 01:06 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the PS BLX 90's are coming in under spec weight. So, you're starting off with a racquet that has a lower swing weight to begin with, now take into account that the racquet probably weights 11.82 unstrung and it's much lower than a K90.

I brought my stick up to 370 grams, which is what I'm used to with my customized K90's. Even still, the swing weight is a touch too low for me. Other than that, I believe Wilson did a good job bringing the touch/feel back to the racquet compared to the original BLX. To me, the original BLX (while I liked the black paint) was way too muted. I think Wilson overcompensated trying to take the rawness out of the K90. Truthfully, if you string at the mid range or lower in tension, and you're in good shape, there is nothing wrong with K90. To me it's the ultimate stick - a modernized Prostaff 85 on steroids. And yes, it's polarized, but that's what makes it so amazing! Yes, I'm an addict, I admit it!

Next time I string the PS BLX 90, I plan on adding more weight to bring the swing weight up to around 340. Then I think I can make a real comparison.

stormholloway
02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
I think it's generally being called a toy because of the lower swing weight compared to the K90.

To me, it feels like a slightly more powerful, more spin-friendly, more dampened PS85, and that's just about perfect for my tastes.

Less feel than the BLX and definitely less feel than K90

This is where you're wrong IMO. The BLX was completely muted. There was basically zero feedback. The PSBLX is clearly more raw than the previous model, still nowhere near the K90 in terms of rawness, but less muted than the BLX. I own and have played extensively with both.

I'm hitting great with this new frame. I absolutely love it, but I may throw a bit of lead at 3 and 9 if I feel the racquet is tapped for power.

asifallasleep
02-13-2012, 07:44 PM
I've only hit with it for two hours and i may take a few more spins around the block before i completely give up on it. I do still feel the blx had more feel than this. When i bought the blx's i hated them, got rid of them, and went back to my k90's.

stormholloway
02-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I had a honeymoon period with the BLXs and bought three, then realized I liked my K90s much more after extensive playing with the BLX.

With the BLX I just had no idea where the ball was going to go as I could barely feel it on the strings. With the new frame, I find the same amount of comfort with a bit more feel.

The K90 is special though, no question. I prefer the non-polarized design of the new model though. That was always a turnoff for me with the K90.

sixone90
02-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Are you using the same strings in the BLX90 and the PSBLX90?

asifallasleep
02-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I think it's generally being called a toy because of the lower swing weight compared to the K90.

To me, it feels like a slightly more powerful, more spin-friendly, more dampened PS85, and that's just about perfect for my tastes.

This is where you're wrong IMO. The BLX was completely muted. There was basically zero feedback. The PSBLX is clearly more raw than the previous model, still nowhere near the K90 in terms of rawness, but less muted than the BLX. I own and have played extensively with both.

I'm hitting great with this new frame. I absolutely love it, but I may throw a bit of lead at 3 and 9 if I feel the racquet is tapped for power.

I hit my friend's BLX today and I still feel that the BLX has more feel than the BLXPS90. I may be in the minority, but the BLXPS90 feels mushy and less responsive in the stringbed and less stiff framewise when compared to the BLX90. My faves are still 1)PS88 2)K90.

Going to add weight to the BLXPS90 at 3 and 9 to see if it makes a difference feel wise for me. I guess I prefer polarized stiff frames!!

asifallasleep
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Are you using the same strings in the BLX90 and the PSBLX90?

Different strings in my K90 but i compared the BLXPS90 to my friends BLX90 which have the same strings, and I preferred the BLX90. Which says a lot because I don't even like the BLX90 when compared to my K90.

Dgdavid
02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Hi all. I was thinking about getting a PS BLX 90. However, I just found that while I love my IG Prestige Midplus, I find my IG Mid unforgiving in comparison. Is there any point in trying the PS 90 or does my Mid experience suggest the headsize is just too small and I will find the PS 90 similarly unforging?

In trying to fine tune my choice, I can say I do like the Midplus a lot but would maybe like a bit more spin so was thinking PS BLX 90 or maybe a Prestige Pro with its 16x19. The guy in the shop looked doubtful when I mentioned my interest in a 90 inch head and suggest the Prince Rebel 98 and Wilson BLX Blade 98!

ps. sorry if this is slightly OT but I didn't want to start a new thread as you guys seem to be the ones to ask!

sunof tennis
02-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi all. I was thinking about getting a PS BLX 90. However, I just found that while I love my IG Prestige Midplus, I find my IG Mid unforgiving in comparison. Is there any point in trying the PS 90 or does my Mid experience suggest the headsize is just too small and I will find the PS 90 similarly unforging?

In trying to fine tune my choice, I can say I do like the Midplus a lot but would maybe like a bit more spin so was thinking PS BLX 90 or maybe a Prestige Pro with its 16x19. The guy in the shop looked doubtful when I mentioned my interest in a 90 inch head and suggest the Prince Rebel 98 and Wilson BLX Blade 98!

ps. sorry if this is slightly OT but I didn't want to start a new thread as you guys seem to be the ones to ask!

You might still try the PS BLX90. Has an open string pattern which seemed to me anyway to enlarge the sweetspot as compared to the Prestige Mid

Dgdavid
02-14-2012, 02:53 PM
You might still try the PS BLX90. Has an open string pattern which seemed to me anyway to enlarge the sweetspot as compared to the Prestige Mid

Thanks, appreciated.

stormholloway
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I hit my friend's BLX today and I still feel that the BLX has more feel than the BLXPS90. I may be in the minority, but the BLXPS90 feels mushy and less responsive in the stringbed and less stiff framewise when compared to the BLX90. My faves are still 1)PS88 2)K90.

Going to add weight to the BLXPS90 at 3 and 9 to see if it makes a difference feel wise for me. I guess I prefer polarized stiff frames!!

I don't know anyone who didn't appreciate the K90. It's probably the racquet I've played the most in the past 5 years. It's flawless.

I think I just appreciate the softness and the non-polarized setup of the new 90. I never really like how the K90 felt 'top heavy' if that makes any sense. It irked me just a little during racquet take-backs on groundstrokes. I definitely think a few grams of lead in the hoop is in order to bring the swing weight closer to the K90.

I'll see how I feel when the honeymoon wears off.

doodlyd
02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I run out of K90 and bought BLX90 and i put some lead at the top to level the Swingweight of my K90 to the swingweight of BLX90 , my friend has a machine to measure balance weight and swingweight ,so i level them up ,but BLX90 was a bit heavier 2gr and the balance 31.75 K90 31.9
swingweight was the same

but what surprised me is that Blx felt lighter, swing lighter and hit lighter.
With K90 u can feel the power and stability just by holding it u know that plow through is there. .I dont know what to do to make it play like a K90 i run out of ideas =) So i cant mimic the weight distribution of K90 on my Blx90 and the swingweight its not the case.

i guarantee that if i cant make a BLX90 to swing like a K90 iam not talking about the dampened feel , u cant make a PS BLX 90 to play like a 80% K90 with that new weight distribution.

doodlyd
02-17-2012, 12:47 PM
I want to say something about BLX90 not PSBLX90 but its may be the same

I run out of K90 and bought BLX90 and i put some lead at the top to level the Swingweight of my K90 to the swingweight of BLX90 , my friend has a machine to measure balance weight and swingweight ,so i level them up ,but BLX90 was a bit heavier 2gr and the balance 31.75 instead of 31.9 on K90
swingweight was the same

but what surprised me is that Blx felt lighter, swing lighter and hit lighter.
With K90 u can feel the power and stability just by holding it and u know that plow through is there .I dont know what to do to make it play like a K90 i run out of ideas =) So i cant mimic the weight distribution of K90 on my Blx90 and the swingweight is not the case.

i guarantee that if i cant make a BLX90 to swing like a K90 iam not talking about the dampened feel , u cant make a PS BLX 90 to play like a 75% K90 with that new weight distribution

stormholloway
02-17-2012, 02:14 PM
The weight distribution for the BLX is similar to the PS BLX. The K90 has more mass throughout the head. I think you'd need to put lead all around the head in order to get a feeling closer to the K90.

The K90 is the only one of its kind with this polarized mass distribution, so it will be the hardest to replicate with other frames.

doodlyd
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Yes , but why the same swingweight doesnt really help=)

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Every Prestige Mid is actually ~88-89.5 sq in. Having said that, then the 90 will be just as unforgiving as the Prestige Mid. If you're not used to playing with a smaller headsize, it'll be a difficult switch. I have a hard time playing with anything 95 and bigger. I'm just used to playing with 90 and smaller.

Why not try the 6.1 95? Do you have problems generating spin with your 18x20?

The reason I ask is because I think spin has more to do with your technique/timing/strength (not that I'm ragging on you) than equipment. I've been a Prestige Mid user for 10 years and finally switched to the BLX90. I can't say there's a noticeably difference in spin production after switching. However, there is something to be said swinging a Pro Staff. Not that the Prestige feels awkward in my hands, it can't be, I've had it for 10 years. But the Pro Staff is just different.

stormholloway
02-18-2012, 12:08 PM
I find the PSBLX 90 more forgiving than the IG mid because it seems to have a much larger sweet spot. It also feels like it swings a bit lighter despite the listed specs.

asifallasleep
02-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Well i tried adding weight to the BLXPS90 and yep, still hate it. My K90's rule. This baby is going up for sale.

stormholloway
02-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Well i tried adding weight to the BLXPS90 and yep, still hate it. My K90's rule. This baby is going up for sale.

I might take it.

michaelscoots
02-19-2012, 08:28 AM

It's a good thing you have 5 of them! What's your favorite string? Me: I love the Proline II at 55lbs on the K90's. And every now and then I get side tracked with MSV Focus Hex 1.18. It is hard to beat this stick if you have a love for Wilson player frames. Many complain of arm pain, but I think if you work out regularly on your bi's, forearm, tris, and rotator and keep it in the mid's or lower then it's a really nice ride! And the amount of pace you can get on the ball if set up right...that's the real treat with this stick. Saying it's not a modern frame is way off base!

Mick
02-19-2012, 01:38 PM
they play very close to each other but i prefer the middle one, the blx 90
http://i43.tinypic.com/28rcsow.jpg

sixone90
02-19-2012, 02:37 PM

The buttcap on the BLX and K Factor look strange? Are you able to switch between them and play just as well?

Mick
02-19-2012, 02:48 PM
The buttcap on the BLX and K Factor look strange? Are you able to switch between them and play just as well?

nah, they just got the stickers from the tennis shop indicating the kind of string and string tension done.
i have a type of game that doesn't get affected very much by the type of racquet that i use, so yes, i would play about the same with all three :)

asifallasleep
02-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I might take it.

let me know.

asifallasleep
02-19-2012, 09:47 PM
It's a good thing you have 5 of them! What's your favorite string? Me: I love the Proline II at 55lbs on the K90's. And every now and then I get side tracked with MSV Focus Hex 1.18. It is hard to beat this stick if you have a love for Wilson player frames. Many complain of arm pain, but I think if you work out regularly on your bi's, forearm, tris, and rotator and keep it in the mid's or lower then it's a really nice ride! And the amount of pace you can get on the ball if set up right...that's the real treat with this stick. Saying it's not a modern frame is way off base! i'm actually down to three as i found out the two most recent editions were fake!!! right now my favorite setup is babolat vs gut in the mains and babolat hurricane pro in the crosses. sometimes i use volkl cyclone.

stormholloway
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM
let me know.

What's the grip size?

asifallasleep
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
It's a 4 3/8

asifallasleep
02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Grip size is 4 3/8.

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-20-2012, 12:01 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one sticking by the BLX90. :)

Chyeaah
02-20-2012, 12:57 AM
The right one looks the sexiest but D=.

stormholloway
02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Grip size is 4 3/8.

You still have it? I tried to email you but I don't think you're setup for it.

asifallasleep
02-24-2012, 04:41 AM
hey storm i may have to eat my words. i've been hitting with the frame a bit more and am starting to like it more. stay tuned. i don't think i am setup for email. i'll have to check.

asifallasleep
02-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't know anyone who didn't appreciate the K90. It's probably the racquet I've played the most in the past 5 years. It's flawless.

I think I just appreciate the softness and the non-polarized setup of the new 90. I never really like how the K90 felt 'top heavy' if that makes any sense. It irked me just a little during racquet take-backs on groundstrokes. I definitely think a few grams of lead in the hoop is in order to bring the swing weight closer to the K90.

I'll see how I feel when the honeymoon wears off. hey storm starting to like the new frames. i got two more. take a look:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/asifallasleep/wilson%20blxps90/blxps90.jpg

stormholloway
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Yellow grips and heart dampeners. Quite a love story.

Why the change of heart?

asifallasleep
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Yellow grips and heart dampeners. Quite a love story.

Why the change of heart?

lol. hilarious. i bought the volkl grips in yellow a while back and i did think the red hearts were kinda cool.. the combination of them all together on the new white racquets did give me pause for concern as i took the photo, lol. but oh well. yikes.......

i think the lighter weight of the new frames allows me a bit more freedom in preparation. i get more quickness, lose a bit of plow through, but for now am having fun cranking the ball. i still have 3 k90's, 2 ps88's, 4 ps985's, and 2 exo tour's. my problem has always been continually switching frames. i'm going to give these new frames a serious looking over while the k90 and ps88's are put in storage.

i got the new frames from a friend is a pro who is sponsored by wilson. he loves the ps88's so i traded him two of my ps88's for two of the new blxps90's. i bought the 3rd from him for $125. All in all pretty good deals.

this frame does remind me of my old ps85's.

stormholloway
03-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I've been through a lot of frames but always end up back with some form of the box beam pro staff. This one is really sticking for me. I find I think about this racquet less than I do my other frames. In my hand, it feels like a slightly lighter ncode 90. It hits sweeter though.

I bought another along with some 1/4 inch lead tape. I'm gonna throw just a little bit it, nothing extreme. Probably 5 grams at 3 and 9 and 5 in the handle.

The lightweight actually lends itself nicely to customization.

jcarbone
03-21-2012, 05:43 AM
I have played with the new PS90BLX and for me it's a amazing racquet. For me I can't decide between K90 and PS90BLX, but I can tell you that both are much better than the BLX90, I believe the BLX90 is so muted and tends to be more like a babolat racquet. K90 and PS90BLX has more raw feedbacks and give you better few on the ball contact and direction control.
Sure, the PS90BLX is more the taste of the Federer's IMHO, because he likes to add leadtapes on the 12 o'clock (I believe that everybody already seen the P1 pictures of his racquets customization). So because that, it's more polarized. I'm going to add 4grams in the 3/9 o'clock just to bring it closer to the k90, but I can tell that this will be a perfect racquet.

jcarbone
03-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Another info, I'm a fan of dampeners, but this frame is mucher better without them. I'm using Luxion Big Bangers x Sensation with 50lbs

corners
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I have played with the new PS90BLX and for me it's a amazing racquet. For me I can't decide between K90 and PS90BLX, but I can tell you that both are much better than the BLX90, I believe the BLX90 is so muted and tends to be more like a babolat racquet. K90 and PS90BLX has more raw feedbacks and give you better few on the ball contact and direction control.
Sure, the PS90BLX is more the taste of the Federer's IMHO, because he likes to add leadtapes on the 12 o'clock (I believe that everybody already seen the P1 pictures of his racquets customization). So because that, it's more polarized. I'm going to add 4grams in the 3/9 o'clock just to bring it closer to the k90, but I can tell that this will be a perfect racquet.

FYI, the K90 is significantly more polarized than the PS90BLX.

Fliparoni
03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Any of you guys have any other thoughts about this racquet? The two that I ordered from TW just came in a couple days ago and I got a chance to hit with it for a couple hours last night.

My main frames are the KPS88 (also, I've never tried the K90 or the BLX90 either) and when hitting with these, obviously, there isn't as much plow through. However, the lower swingweight lends itself to preparing a little easier and really letting loose on my forehand on a more consistent basis. I've only hit with it once though, so lets see how I feel after a few weeks of serious hitting with these.

stormholloway
03-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Just add lead. I didn't like the KPS much.

asifallasleep
03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Any of you guys have any other thoughts about this racquet? The two that I ordered from TW just came in a couple days ago and I got a chance to hit with it for a couple hours last night.

My main frames are the KPS88 (also, I've never tried the K90 or the BLX90 either) and when hitting with these, obviously, there isn't as much plow through. However, the lower swingweight lends itself to preparing a little easier and really letting loose on my forehand on a more consistent basis. I've only hit with it once though, so lets see how I feel after a few weeks of serious hitting with these. For the last fews years my main two racquets were the PS88 and the K90. PS88 is a different beast and i don't think you can really compare it to the K90, BLX90 or the BLXPS90. Nothing whippy about it, just old school tennis plowing through the ball. K90, BLX90 you can plow through and whip ww shots. K90 will always be my favorite as it has amazing feel and plow through; and you can whip the ball although it can be demanding during a long match. The BLXPS90 is a combination of the PS85 and the K90. Maneuverable with a lively string bed, you can easily whip the ball with crazy spin with ww strokes or drive through the ball. It's definitely easier to hit with when compared to the K90. My backhand slices are way better with the K90, serve better with BLXPS90, Forehands better with K90, topspin backhands better with BLXPS90. More racquet head speed is required with the BLXPS90 than with the K90.

stormholloway
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I threw 5 grams at 3 and 9 and 5 grams just above the butt cap. It plays beautifully, so if you're looking for a setup to beef up this very nice frame without taking it into a weight that wears you out over a few sets this works nicely. I imagine the swing weight is comparable to the K90 if not a bit higher.

asifallasleep
03-26-2012, 03:08 AM
The additional weight you mentioned would probably bring the frame closer to the K90. For some reason I'm insisting on staying stock. So Fed isn't the only user of a 90 on the tour. Grigor Dimitrov also uses the BLXPS90.

sixone90
03-26-2012, 05:11 AM
So Fed isn't the only user of a 90 on the tour. Grigor Dimitrov also uses the BLXPS90.

Grigor Dimitrov uses a 93 square inch head size

klementine79
03-26-2012, 05:04 PM
I think we're splittin' hairs here.

QC could be the main issue here.

I swung a BLX90 that was the same static weight and balance as my 1 and only K90 and I could not tell the difference blind folded.

It still swung and felt like a ProStaff90. I have a K88 that's 13.1oz strung w/o an og. I've measured batches of BLX90's and got all kinds of static weights and I'm sure (but not measured) different balances and swing weights as well.

The differences for me between the K90 and BLX90 were miniscule. Probably the same between the PS90 and other iterations as well.

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-26-2012, 05:28 PM
I think we're splittin' hairs here.

QC could be the main issue here.

I swung a BLX90 that was the same static weight and balance as my 1 and only K90 and I could not tell the difference blind folded.

It still swung and felt like a ProStaff90. I have a K88 that's 13.1oz strung w/o an og. I've measured batches of BLX90's and got all kinds of static weights and I'm sure (but not measured) different balances and swing weights as well.

The differences for me between the K90 and BLX90 were miniscule. Probably the same between the PS90 and other iterations as well.

This, if they were all painted the same color, it'll be really difficult to tell apart.

klementine79
03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
^ I'm thinking the stated specs between the K90-BLX90-Ps90 are pure marketing.

If one was to hit all 3 and all 3 were the same unstrung weight and as you say 'blacked out', I'd be surprised if one could tell the difference.

stormholloway
03-26-2012, 08:17 PM

If you swung those 2 racquets and couldn't tell the difference then you're obviously blind.

Seriously.

klementine79
03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
^ You mean besides the fact that the BLX90 doesn't need a damp to silence the buzz of the K90?

Ok. Sure. But besides that, they're the same racquet. The same balls were coming off the string-bed, pace, spin. Same feel, more or less.

My point was the differences are very minimal and I suspect QC has more to do with how people view all these frames, more so than any 'technology' or changes that wilson is putting out.

And yeah, if they were blacked out, I'm sure even you would have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

klementine79
03-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Sorry if I offended any ProStaff connoisseurs with my comments and I must take the time to disclose that the K90 is not my main stick. I only use it for doubles as it is a brick up at net and on volleys, delivers some nice put away power and just for the sheer blocking ability. But I'm definitely more consistent with something lighter and bigger for singles play.

I owned a BLX90, after scavenging a local shop for one with the exact same unstrung specs as my K90, kept it around for a couple of months, then sold it because the K90 with a rubber band damp is basically the same racquet with minor and negligible differences.

I will say that the newest Ps90 has the sexiest pj out of all of them.

stormholloway
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
It was a joke. You said you were blindfolded.

To me, the K90 and BLX90 are quite different in the context of Pro Staffs. The K is polarized and raw. The BLX is non-polarized and very muted. It's mainly just a feel difference.

coloskier
03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Grigor Dimitrov uses a 93 square inch head size

Wilson doesn't make a PSBLX in 93 (or a BLX for that matter).

PeterFig
03-27-2012, 01:40 PM

They might - I know they make a 65 sq in version:

http://f.cl.ly/items/2Q232V460e2H3E041r0M/blx_wood_ps.jpg

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
^^ That's not a Pro Staff, there are no PWS.

PeterFig
03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
^^ That's not a Pro Staff, there are no PWS.

They use a higher density wood at 3 and 9 to give it the PWS effect. I think it's walnut. :)

stormholloway
03-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Yes they do, because he plays with one.

corners
03-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes they do, because he plays with one.

He only says he plays with a 93. But he came from a Prestige mid, which is listed as 93 but is, in fact, 89.5. One possibility is that Wilson said "this is the same size as your Prestige" when they gave him the Tour 90s to try and he assumed it was a 93.

The other possibility is that Wilson didn't know that the Prestige is really an 89.5 and so made him a custom 93, in which case Dimitrov unwittingly increased his headsize when he switched sponsors.

Fed Kennedy
03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Drakulie said the 90 groms were a little too small for grigors 93...

rudester
03-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Interesting thread and only reinforces the fact that racquet preference is purely subjective. I have used every racquet in the pro staff lineage, beginning with the PS85. Honestly, the PS85 was the best but too demanding for my later years, other than that i enjoyed the Pro Staff Tour 90, thumbs down on the Ncode tour 90, I really hated the balance on the K90, Blx 90 was OK but not great. I have the new Pro Staff BLX 90, still experimenting with strings, but to me it is the best rendition for quite some time. IMHO

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Interesting thread and only reinforces the fact that racquet preference is purely subjective. I have used every racquet in the pro staff lineage, beginning with the PS85. Honestly, the PS85 was the best but too demanding for my later years, other than that i enjoyed the Pro Staff Tour 90, thumbs down on the Ncode tour 90, I really hated the balance on the K90, Blx 90 was OK but not great. I have the new Pro Staff BLX 90, still experimenting with strings, but to me it is the best rendition for quite some time. IMHO

Sadly, not enough people share your view.

klementine79
03-27-2012, 04:48 PM
It was a joke. You said you were blindfolded.

To me, the K90 and BLX90 are quite different in the context of Pro Staffs. The K is polarized and raw. The BLX is non-polarized and very muted. It's mainly just a feel difference.

Gotchya.... must have been on my 'man period' whilst watching Venus play.

It would be interesting to dissect a K90,BLX90 and PS90 into sections and weigh them out to see if there is any difference between these frames.

I'm hearing good things about the PS90. Gotta love P-Staffs. The sound that comes off the string-bed alone is enough to intimidate your opponent.

Matt21
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM

I play-tested the BLXPS90 as well as the BLX90 and the K61. I'd personally rank them in this order: 1. BLX, 2. K61, 3. BLXPS. I didn't dislike the new model, but felt like the BLX (with the right strings) played the closest to the Original PS85 with a larger sweetspot (IMHO). K61 has the most plow-through of the three, but also required the most work to play consistently well with.

Now, my modded Youtek Prestige Mid, IMO, works best for me of the three. I saw you mention the IG Prestige Mid and I play tested that one as well, but would rank it third behind the Youtek and the Microgel. At any rate, this is a Wilson Tour90 discussion so I'll keep my Prestige comments for other threads. Speaking of Wilson PSTour90 (previous model to N90); I'd rank it above the N90, K90, BLX and BLXPS. That was one sweet stick and I hate I ever got rid of mine.

Matt21
03-27-2012, 08:11 PM
I play-tested the BLXPS90 as well as the BLX90 and the K61. I'd personally rank them in this order: 1. BLX, 2. K61, 3. BLXPS. I didn't dislike the new model, but felt like the BLX (with the right strings) played the closest to the Original PS85 with a larger sweetspot (IMHO). K61 has the most plow-through of the three, but also required the most work to play consistently well with.

Now, my modded Youtek Prestige Mid, IMO, works best for me of the three. I saw you mention the IG Prestige Mid and I play tested that one as well, but would rank it third behind the Youtek and the Microgel. At any rate, this is a Wilson Tour90 discussion so I'll keep my Prestige comments for other threads. Speaking of Wilson PSTour90 (previous model to N90); I'd rank it above the N90, K90, BLX and BLXPS. That was one sweet stick and I hate I ever got rid of mine.

In fact, if I had to personally rank the post PS6.0-85 tour frames, I'd rank them as follows:

1. PSTour90 (black and yellow)
2. BLX90
3. K61-90
4. BLXPS90
5. N90 (hated this frame and felt it was one of the deadest and most sluggish feeling of the Wilson Pro Staff line).

klementine79
03-27-2012, 08:42 PM
^Good insight.
----------------

To Dgdavid, re the PresMid vs. the Tour90 (stock comparison)

The PresMid is easier to get around and is all about control. Well suited to someone who hits the ball flat. Balls tend to sit lower, better response/control on volleys and directional serves. Moves through the air quicker.

The tour90 is more versatile and has a very open 16x19 pattern. Sweet spot is sweeter and slightly bigger than the PresMid. Granted it will take more effort getting it moving but if you can consistently find the center and can swing it fast enough, it's a very powerful frame. The sensation of timing a ball in the center is likened to hitting a great drive off the 'T' in golf, you won't even feel the racquet in your hand. Better put away power on volleys, solid.

The Tour90 and PresMid are 'honest' racquets. Whatever you put in, you get out. It will be easier to find the sweetspot on the T90 but the PresMid moves quicker.

Matt21
03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
^Good insight.
----------------

To Dgdavid, re the PresMid vs. the Tour90 (stock comparison)

The PresMid is easier to get around and is all about control. Well suited to someone who hits the ball flat. Balls tend to sit lower, better response/control on volleys and directional serves. Moves through the air quicker.

The tour90 is more versatile and has a very open 16x19 pattern. Sweet spot is sweeter and slightly bigger than the PresMid. Granted it will take more effort getting it moving but if you can consistently find the center and can swing it fast enough, it's a very powerful frame. The sensation of timing a ball in the center is likened to hitting a great drive off the 'T' in golf, you won't even feel the racquet in your hand. Better put away power on volleys, solid.

The Tour90 and PresMid are 'honest' racquets. Whatever you put in, you get out. It will be easier to find the sweetspot on the T90 but the PresMid moves quicker.

Excellent and accurate description of the two Klementine! I love the feeling of the Tour90 line (every iteration except the N90) and likened the feeling of a well-struck shot with them to the feeling of hitting a baseball with a Louisville Slugger. Just reminds me so much of the feel of a wooden baseball bat. I've owned them in the past and in fact, got a good deal on a couple of used ones (K90 and BLX90); I still gravitate back to the Prestige though just because of the difference in swing speed. I often compare the two to medieval weapons: the Prestige being a sharp, heavy sword and the Tour90s being clubs. Both will do damage in the right hands.

corners
03-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Drakulie said the 90 groms were a little too small for grigors 93...

Ah, so Wilson did trick him into going up in headsize;-)

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Glad to see the BLX90 getting some love. It's usually the designated Tour 90 to be shatted on here, just because it plays softer and muter than the rest of the 6.0 lineage.

I switched from a PC600 to the BLX90 and although they're similar spec'd, to me they are worlds apart! They swing drastically different. Both are box beamed but with the Pro Staff being boxier, it swings heavier I believe. After a decade with a Prestige in one form or another (i.Prestige mid, then PC600), it took me several months to get used to swinging a Pro Staff.

Probably wondering why I made the switch, because I enjoyed the open pattern more.

Now you're probably wondering I chose the BLX90 over other Tour 90. Because it reminds me of my PC600 at impact, buttery smooth!

stormholloway
03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah I just don't see a reason to pick the BLX over the new PS. The BLXPS, to me, is just as comfortable but actually has feedback.

klementine79
03-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Some numbers for the 'spec geeks'.

My brother (older than I) purchased 4 new PS90's, manufacturer's specs from the local shop through their wilson rep. He played with the old p-staffs and in the past 6-7 years had moved to babolat, pure drives and storms. All 4 with the cardboard insert and plastic on handle weigh in at 356grams. Unstrung, w/o the insert and plastic, 339grams. Right on spec.

Anyway, he demo'd the PS90 and fell in love with it, ordered them. 3, he decided to keep stock and had them professionally strung. The 4th, he gave to me to tinker with and string up. I just started stringing the past month.

He had me swap out the leather for a white pro hybrid grip, in an effort to move some weight at 12 under the bumper. There's only a 1 gram difference between the leather and pro-hybrid grips! I was stunned, I thought for sure they'd be lighter. Not the case and the 1gram difference is because I have removed the double-sided sticky tape wilson uses to affix their grips. If I had kept that on, they would weigh the same. Not going to weigh the grips but the frame is 338grams unstrung ATM.

I'm hybriding this one. Gamma Pro 16g mains and tour bite 16L crosses. I'll string it up while I watch the Tsonga/Nadal match. Have also snuck 3grams under the bumper.

Will string it up, weigh it, measure and get the swingweight via the 'TW calculator'.

klementine79
03-28-2012, 06:47 PM
CORRECTION: Just took an average of weights from the grips. My digital scale has a mind of it's own at times.

4-3/8ths grip
Wilson Leather trimmed from the factory = 23grams
Wilson White Pro Hybrid grip trimmed w/ minimal overlap = 22grams

The double sided sticky tape Wilson uses does weigh a gram, so now the PS90 is in at 337grams unstrung. 3 grams under the bumper at 12.. 340grams unstrung.

Again, weight w/ cardboard inserts and plastic on handle fluctuated between 356 and 357 grams. Unstrung weight w/o cardboard and plastic was 339grams on the dot. So the cardboard inserts and plastic on handle weighs between 17-18 grams, for those who want to get one on spec.

Just put it on the stringer.

klementine79
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Ok. Just took it off the stringer (40minutes isn't bad for a hybrid job from a novice stringer ;) ) and measured the static weight and balance.

356grams strung. The strings added 16grams. Which makes sense. On my 100sq.in., 18x20 frames, full poly adds 22 grams. So 16grams sounds about right for a 90sq.in., 16x19 frame, multi/poly job.

361grams w/ wilson pro og and 10pts. HL. Which means this puppy would be 11-12pts. HL w/o the 3grams at 12.

Just goes to show. A wilson frame can be on spec weight wise but the balance can be way off spec.

My K90 strung w/ og comes in at 361 and at 10pts.HL, no lead

Just bouncing a ball off the frame I can tell it's less muted than the BLX90. It hums like the K90. This Wilson Pro Hybrid grip feels good in the hand, uniform like many synthetic grips but firm like leather and a little more give in terms of stiffness. For those who like the weight of leather but could do without the exaggerated bevels and want a little more comfort without sacrificing weight and balance, this is the way to go.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play until late july/ early august and with not much frequency, so no review from me on this one.

ZeroSkid
03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
K90 looks better, new BLXPS 90 is plays better

klementine79
03-28-2012, 08:07 PM
^ Kfactor Pj is 'all-time'... but this Ps90 is quite the looker. Looks sharp with a white og. I actually like it better than the K90 but that might be because I've been looking at the K90 for years now and this is something different.

Don't understand why they went with the gloss/matte pj. I couldn't get the lead tape to stick under the bumper for the life of me. Kept moving and sliding. Took the end of a pen and rolled into the frame.

Storm? Is the tape at 3&9 you put on wanting to slide or fall off?

stormholloway
03-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I put it inside the hoop. It stuck fine but occasionally a shanked ball will pull it up. Basically, it sticks fine unless a ball hits it, which is normal. That part of the racquet, as I recall, is not glossy.

miami
04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
BLXPS 90 definitely has more feel than BLX 90. End of story. Also slightly more power while maintaining same level of control.

asifallasleep
04-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Well the love affair ended today as I sold all three of my 2012 BLXPS90's. If I'm going to use a Wilson 90 it has to be my K90's!!! And now i'm off to revisit my Prince EXO Tour 16X18's. And flirting with demoing the Prince Rebel 98.

ssonosk
04-06-2012, 06:44 PM
I haven't played with the k90, but i have played with the blx90 and the blxps90

Their both pretty hard to use honestly.
While the BLXPS90 is easier to swing, like you said you don't get as much depth. So to really be effective with it you have to know how to get more body into your shots to hit deep consistently easily.
But I must say the BLXPS90 at the net is nothing short of glorious. I looooved vollies with this racquet. With it being lighter wilson has made it very maneuverable; thus, making it really easy to get a racquet infront of the ball. I'd also say it has more feel than the BLX90

And with the BLX90 that thing is a whole nother beast. It's heavy and chances are if you're using it most of your shots will be flat and deep easy. I like the uniqueness of the racquet in todays market, but it doesn't really suit a lot of modern players. It's hard to recover if you're behind in the rally or a ball creeps on you; however if you're leading the point and get the short ball it's much easier to put it away and takes less effort.

I say the BLXPS90 suits a lot more players vs the BLX90
,I honestly like it over the BLX90, but the BLX90 is still a good racquet (if it suits your style).

Hollywood2
04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I've been testing the BLX Pro Staff Six One 90 as a demo from my local tennis store it is strung at 58 pounds using mix of gut and polymer. The current racquet I play with is the nCode 6.1 90 and what a difference between the two racquets in terms of balance in the weight and flex. So night and day the nCode handle/grip is longer than the new BLX PS handle or grip. I prefer the shorter grip...now.

My current nCode 6.1 90 is strung at 47 pounds for power and I'm very happy with this string tension, it lacks power strung at 55 pounds...huge difference.

Now with the BLX Pro Staff Six One 90, though the weight is the same the distribution is of that weight is very different. I like the nimbleness at the net but dislike the lack of plow thru especially on the serve and forehands with the BLX PS 90.

I don't understand why my BLX PS 90 demo has strings at 58 pounds when this racquet has enough control technology even if it were strung at low 50's or high 40's. The BLX Pro Staff lacks power, power, power!!

So I'm not completely sold on BLX Pro Staff yet. I like the edge at the net because it's head light and moves fast but at base line rallies you really need to power the shot to get up and over the net and deep! I hope this is a tension issue because my arm would give out after the first set if I had to over muscle every shot for power.

I could play 3 sets with my nCode 90 with a MUCH heavier head strung at 47 pounds because the racquet was doing all the work once I was in position. The BLX Pro Staff after I'm in position I have to do more work on top of my stroke to muscle it to the other side with depth and I'm not a skinning guy either. I'm 6 feet and have solid bicep and forearm strength.

If anyone has played with the BLX Pro Staff 6.1 90 at high 50's tension and mid to high 40's tension please post your results and critic.

I found what Roger Federer and Milos Raonic string their racquets at and it's not in the 50's at all and I can't blame them either with these Wilson racquets mid to high 40's pounds is the way to go for power while still maintaining control.

I've never played with a K-Factor 90 to see if that is a balance between the ncode 6.1 90 and BLX PS 6.1 90 but I can't find a K-Factor to test with anymore...unfortunately. Maybe I should try an Wilson 88 Peter Sampras' racquet for fun and see how that works out.

Cheers, any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Tension: Roger Federer
Roger Federer Wilson Pro Staff Six.One Tour BLX
Wilson Natural Gut/Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Rough 48.5/44lbs

Tension: Milos Raonic
Milos Raonic Wilson Blade 98 BLX
Luxilon M2 44/46lbs

michaelscoots
04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
I've been testing the BLX Pro Staff Six One 90 as a demo from my local tennis store it is strung at 58 pounds using mix of gut and polymer. The current racquet I play with is the nCode 6.1 90 and what a difference between the two racquets in terms of balance in the weight and flex. So night and day the nCode handle/grip is longer than the new BLX PS handle or grip. I prefer the shorter grip...now.

My current nCode 6.1 90 is strung at 47 pounds for power and I'm very happy with this string tension, it lacks power strung at 55 pounds...huge difference.

Now with the BLX Pro Staff Six One 90, though the weight is the same the distribution is of that weight is very different. I like the nimbleness at the net but dislike the lack of plow thru especially on the serve and forehands with the BLX PS 90.

I don't understand why my BLX PS 90 demo has strings at 58 pounds when this racquet has enough control technology even if it were strung at low 50's or high 40's. The BLX Pro Staff lacks power, power, power!!

So I'm not completely sold on BLX Pro Staff yet. I like the edge at the net because it's head light and moves fast but at base line rallies you really need to power the shot to get up and over the net and deep! I hope this is a tension issue because my arm would give out after the first set if I had to over muscle every shot for power.

I could play 3 sets with my nCode 90 with a MUCH heavier head strung at 47 pounds because the racquet was doing all the work once I was in position. The BLX Pro Staff after I'm in position I have to do more work on top of my stroke to muscle it to the other side with depth and I'm not a skinning guy either. I'm 6 feet and have solid bicep and forearm strength.

If anyone has played with the BLX Pro Staff 6.1 90 at high 50's tension and mid to high 40's tension please post your results and critic.

I found what Roger Federer and Milos Raonic string their racquets at and it's not in the 50's at all and I can't blame them either with these Wilson racquets mid to high 40's pounds is the way to go for power while still maintaining control.

I've never played with a K-Factor 90 to see if that is a balance between the ncode 6.1 90 and BLX PS 6.1 90 but I can't find a K-Factor to test with anymore...unfortunately. Maybe I should try an Wilson 88 Peter Sampras' racquet for fun and see how that works out.

Cheers, any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Tension: Roger Federer
Roger Federer Wilson Pro Staff Six.One Tour BLX
Wilson Natural Gut/Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Rough 48.5/44lbs

Tension: Milos Raonic
Milos Raonic Wilson Blade 98 BLX
Luxilon M2 44/46lbs

Many of the BLX PS 90's are coming in under weight. This is good for customization, but if you're comparing a demo and don't know the exact weight it could be hard to make comparisons. As it is, even at spec weight the swing weight is lower than the K90, BLX90, and most likely the N90 as well (not sure about that). I ended up putting lead under the bumper guard to bring the swing weight up and make it closer to 8 points headlight. It then played more like my K90's, but I was swinging a slightly heavier racquet in the BLX PS 90 to accomplish the same task. What I do like about the more recent tours is the more open pattern throughout the sweet spot.

Hollywood2
04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reply...cheers.

richarda_cjn
04-17-2012, 03:59 AM

The BLX pj is so great. Since they feel quite similar to me, I bought my favourite, blx 90