PDA

View Full Version : BLX Prostaff 95 Customization

gplracer
02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
I have started to customize my new BLX Prostaff 95. It was right on spec at 11.00oz brand new. That is too light for me. So far I have added lead tape to the top. Here is the pic:

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt38/gplracer/IMG_0934.jpg

Here is what it looks like after the bumper guard is put back on:

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt38/gplracer/IMG_0938.jpg

aimr75
02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
what is the weight and balance now?

FEDERERNADAL13
02-13-2012, 05:16 PM
MY BLXPS95:

Un-edited: 11 oz unstrung

Edited with an OG, sensation crossed with ALU rough, 2 grams of lead at 3, 2 grams at 9, and I came to:

12.0 oz. 344g

Absolutely peRFect for me :)

gplracer
02-13-2012, 05:23 PM
I will have to weigh it tomorrow when I get to work. I think it will be around 11.4 unstrung.

Funbun
02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a small problem with the feel of my racquet. I got my target weight and swingweight, but the balance is too HL. I'm deciding whether or not to just deal with a slightly more headlight racquet, which isn't a big problem at all, or move the lead towards the tip to optimize the balance point but increase the swingweight.

I already have 14 grams added to the hoop. I can just move it up or down, but doing so will affect the balance and swingweight.

While I don't mind higher swingweights, I've been mostly used to something around the 353 ish range. However, it seems like the balance is what made my previous racquet seem whippy. My BLXPS95 currently matches my previous racquet in all factors except balance, and it makes seems to make little difference except in the feel of the finish on my groundies, not during the swing.

PeterFig
02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
My customization so far:

- 5 grams lead tape total at 3 and 9
- 3 grams lead tape under grip near the top of the grip
- TW leather grip
- Wilson Pro Overgrip
- SPPP mains 1.18 @ 52lb / Gosen OGS crosses 17s @54lb

Have yet to hit with it - but at this configuration it's more head-heavy than my stock PS BLX 90 .... so I might put a bit more lead somewhere in the handle to make it more head-light.

CDestroyer
02-13-2012, 07:10 PM
If I break my current racquets or feel that they are toast for some reason I will get a few of these in a few years when they are heavily discounted.

I would add lead at 12 oclock and at the bottom of the grip to give me a static weight of 355 grams, 9 points head light balance, with a swing weight around 325 or so.

Thank you Wilson for bringing back the box beams in the 90, 95, 100 variations. You guys really deliver what your die hard fans love.:smile:

rofl_copter3
02-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok so i too have began leading up my 95's

So far I have:
5 grams at 12
4 grams at 3 and 9
9 grams in the butt cap
And an overgrip
Started at 310 weight with all adds its now 351 grams and 8.5 pts headlight with string and a swing weight of 333

Am going to move some tape around to try to get the swing weight up closer to 345-350 but it feels great right now...

cueboyzn
02-14-2012, 01:15 AM
I plan on getting one of these and adding an Wilson leather grip and maybe some lead under the grip or inside the handle and finish with an overgrip. Might also put some lead under the bumper guard. Look forward to trying it out. My current sticks are K-90 but am keen to try this one.

Captain Tezuka
02-14-2012, 02:17 AM
I have started to customize my new BLX Prostaff 95. It was right on spec at 11.00oz brand new. That is too light for me. So far I have added lead tape to the top. Here is the pic:

How's the QC of Wilson? Shouldn't it be 11.5oz static weight or is that just TW specs? Also in another thread some guy got his pair of BLX PS 95's to be 12.0 oz or something similar strung so could you have chosen the heaviest one out of the bunch?

cueboyzn
02-14-2012, 02:53 AM
I think the very first thing I would do with this stick regardless of weight customization would be to add a leather grip and overgrip and see how that works to begin with.

gplracer
02-14-2012, 04:01 AM
Ok i weighed mine and after the lead tape, gut and luxilon, a dampner and a wilson overgrip it is 12oz. I think my blx90 was 12.6 strung so I will see how this goes. I could do with a little less weight than 12.6.

benjamins_80
02-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Just got mine yesterday. Right out of the box unstrung it weighed 11.2 oz or 317 grams.

After stringing and over grip I should be right around 340 grams or 12oz.
Thought I was going to have to lead this up but thanks to the racquet coming heavier than spec'd I may not have to.

gplracer
02-14-2012, 05:48 AM
How do I figure the balance or swingweight?

Autumnleaf
02-14-2012, 07:11 AM
How do you remove the bumper guard with a reasonable certainty of not deforming it or twisting it too much?

subz
02-14-2012, 07:26 AM
PJ looks glossy, are you sure you don't have a fake ?

PeterFig
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
PJ looks glossy, are you sure you don't have a fake ?

The red and black part of the paint job on the new ProStaff line is glossy, as is a good chunk of the bumperguard.

rofl_copter3
02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
How's the QC of Wilson? Shouldn't it be 11.5oz static weight or is that just TW specs? Also in another thread some guy got his pair of BLX PS 95's to be 12.0 oz or something similar strung so could you have chosen the heaviest one out of the bunch?

Well i had tw match my set at the highest static swing weight and static weight, both rackets were 310 grams unstrung so about 11.1oz and 287 gram swing weight. Once strung that should put them at about 326 and 306 swing... So very close to advertised specs... That said i have heard of some people getting considerably lighter than spec frames...

corners
02-14-2012, 08:36 AM
How do I figure the balance or swingweight?

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/howto_swingweight.php

If you have an iDevice you can get the RacquetTune app which helps. And if your device has a camera the app can relieve you of having to do the stopwatch part of the swingweight protocol.

Shangri La
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
I wanted a lighter players racquet and the BLX PS 95 seemed to be a good candidate. But the stock swingweight is too low and leading is almost a must. And there comes the problem - by the time sw reaches 320+ (with counter balancing on the handle), the racquet is already 12+oz.

Power Player
02-14-2012, 11:13 AM
5 grams at 12 (2 inch strips layered) will add about 15 SW points.

Then wrap an overgrip and you should be good to go.

The balance will be more head heavy (guessing 5 pts instead of 7), but that is what you will want since the stick will still be rather light at 11.8. and the SW will be over 320.

Shangri La
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
A few points more hh doesnt bother me, but usually I prefer a leather grip. With an overgrip, that's at least additional 15g on the handle...

CDestroyer
02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I think the very first thing I would do with this stick regardless of weight customization would be to add a leather grip and overgrip and see how that works to begin with.

Thats a good idea. I think what Wilson and Head were going for with the lighter weight and swingweight was helping people generate more racquet head speed. The 340 - 345 swingweight is too much for the majority of rec players.

Power Player
02-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Have you tried the Wilson Pro Hybrid grip? It is pretty awesome and gives you that nice bevel feel that leather gives you.

Shangri La
02-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Have you tried the Wilson Pro Hybrid grip? It is pretty awesome and gives you that nice bevel feel that leather gives you.

I haven't although heard good things about it. But unless it's significantly lighter than leather or I use it without an overgrip, I'm not sure how much it will help me here.

sp1derman
02-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I was planning on adding a wilson leather grip w/ over grip and some lead around 10 & 2 to of equal weight as the heavier leather grip+overgrip. Basically I just wanted to make it a tad heavier to aid in hitting the ball deeper on a consistent basis..

This should keep HL balance about the same right? I'm fairly knew to customizing and basically learned from trolling here & the TW how-to's!

all_backhand
02-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I was planning on adding a wilson leather grip w/ over grip and some lead around 10 & 2 to of equal weight as the heavier leather grip+overgrip. Basically I just wanted to make it a tad heavier to aid in hitting the ball deeper on a consistent basis..

This should keep HL balance about the same right? I'm fairly knew to customizing and basically learned from trolling here & the TW how-to's!

The setup you've just described is my preferred setup with most racquets. I think it's an excellent starting point.

sp1derman
02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Should have mentioned that I'm at 11.6 ozs with my wilson overgrip, rubber band and 17g excel strings. Don't give me crap for the Bab string in the wilson, I'm still in the process of converting!

dmcb101
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM

Did you do all that before you even hit with it? Just wondering because putting it under the bumper wold obviously require you to remove it and once you do that it is hard to get back in if you have already hit with it. Just curious.

On another note, has anyone here hit with a ntour 95? I was curious of how this racquet felt compared to that racquet. The ntours swing weight is higher (330) but its static weight it lighter. I was just wondering if it felt easier to swing the PS 95 BlX or the ntour. Thanks in advance!

dmcb101
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
MY BLXPS95:

Un-edited: 11 oz unstrung

Edited with an OG, sensation crossed with ALU rough, 2 grams of lead at 3, 2 grams at 9, and I came to:

12.0 oz. 344g

Absolutely peRFect for me :)

That does not make any sense. Adding strings and 4 grams of lead should not be more than and ounce. Should it?

Funbun
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I haven't tested this out on the court yet, but I managed to closely match the balance and swingweight of my old K Blade 98.

I honestly had no idea my ideal swingweight was around like 365.

So, I got an Gamma Supreme OG, 14g lead at 22 in.

...bringing that to 345g and 362 SW. This racquet will be perfect for a baseline game.

gplracer
02-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Did you do all that before you even hit with it? Just wondering because putting it under the bumper wold obviously require you to remove it and once you do that it is hard to get back in if you have already hit with it. Just curious.

On another note, has anyone here hit with a ntour 95? I was curious of how this racquet felt compared to that racquet. The ntours swing weight is higher (330) but its static weight it lighter. I was just wondering if it felt easier to swing the PS 95 BlX or the ntour. Thanks in advance!

I did all of that before I hit with it. I knew it would be a nightmare to get the bumper back on once the strings stretch the grommets. I have only hit with it a small amount but so far I really like it.

dmcb101
02-14-2012, 06:14 PM
I did all of that before I hit with it. I knew it would be a nightmare to get the bumper back on once the strings stretch the grommets. I have only hit with it a small amount but so far I really like it.

Oh ok. That makes sense then. I just recently got a job as a teaching pro and I the club is going to have me sponsor wilson in which they will give me a couple of racquets and some shoes. I think Ill want this racquet so I might demo it and make sure it's good for me. Like I said I swing a ntour 95. Any thoughts on that transition? I have lead so ill probably try it stock and also with some lead at 3 and 9 for stabilization. Btw, your lead under the bumper looks awesome!

corners
02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
That does not make any sense. Adding strings and 4 grams of lead should not be more than and ounce. Should it?
Nope, it would not.

corners
02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Oh ok. That makes sense then. I just recently got a job as a teaching pro and I the club is going to have me sponsor wilson in which they will give me a couple of racquets and some shoes. I think Ill want this racquet so I might demo it and make sure it's good for me. Like I said I swing a ntour 95. Any thoughts on that transition? I have lead so ill probably try it stock and also with some lead at 3 and 9 for stabilization. Btw, your lead under the bumper looks awesome!

Ntour is a little higher in swingweight, so you will lose some intrinsic power and plowthrough going to the PS95. But the big difference is that the Ntour has about an ounce less mass in the handle.

Power Player
02-14-2012, 07:34 PM
I haven't although heard good things about it. But unless it's significantly lighter than leather or I use it without an overgrip, I'm not sure how much it will help me here.

It's lighter. I believe it comes on the stick stock as well.

So basically you will have 10 grams to play with if you want to stay relatively light at 336 grams. 5 for the Overgrip, and then 5 at 12 to boost the SW 15 points.

That is what I would do personally.

Shangri La
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
It's lighter. I believe it comes on the stick stock as well.

So basically you will have 10 grams to play with if you want to stay relatively light at 336 grams. 5 for the Overgrip, and then 5 at 12 to boost the SW 15 points.

That is what I would do personally.

Very interesting. Yes, without a leather the customization would be very manageable. Can anybody confirm the hybrid grip on the racquet?

klementine79
02-14-2012, 09:03 PM
^ I replaced a wilson hybrid grip with a wilson tru-grip and lost 5grams from the static weight of the frame.

It also depends how you wrap it but at least 5grams will be added.

Doesn't the PS95 come wrapped with hybrid grip?

Nice grip by the way.

gplracer
02-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I used 1/4 inch lead tape. It worked really well and is totally invisible. I am anxious to go out and hit with it. The last two days have. Een so busy I did not have the opportunity to hit with it.

dmcb101
02-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I used 1/4 inch lead tape. It worked really well and is totally invisible. I am anxious to go out and hit with it. The last two days have. Een so busy I did not have the opportunity to hit with it.

Well let us know how it hits. By the way I felt the handle of the Juice and a 1/4 felt like a 3/8. Have you noticed that the grip is running larger?

dmcb101
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Ntour is a little higher in swingweight, so you will lose some intrinsic power and plowthrough going to the PS95. But the big difference is that the Ntour has about an ounce less mass in the handle.

Yeah, that is why I think it would be interesting if I switched. I think it would be easier to swing but the weight would be a lot different. I just want something that I can swing relatively fast and I think this racquet will suit that. I think adding some lead at 3 and 9 too would give it a bit more stability without hurting the swing weight too much. I guess ill give it a try.

benjamins_80
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Alright, just finished up customizing the new frame. After strings and over grip it weighed in at 334 grams.
I have added 4 grams of lead at 11 and 1 as well as 3 grams under the butt cap. Bringing the swing weight up to 334.
I am very curious to see if I can notice a difference. I have never played around with customizing a frame so I am excited to see what it does.

dmcb101
02-16-2012, 03:41 PM
You should be able to notice. My first time I did it at 3 and 9 and I definitely noticed. Hope it helps your game.

gplracer
02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I did not know what tension to string this thing at. I strung my BLX90 with gut/lux at 51,48. I decided on 53/50. Before the demo racket did not have much power. Now at 12oz there is plenty of power. I might need to go tighter with the string.

corners
02-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah, that is why I think it would be interesting if I switched. I think it would be easier to swing but the weight would be a lot different. I just want something that I can swing relatively fast and I think this racquet will suit that. I think adding some lead at 3 and 9 too would give it a bit more stability without hurting the swing weight too much. I guess ill give it a try.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you. I've always played sticks with heavy handles but been curious about how rackets like nTours would be.

dmcb101
02-18-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you. I've always played sticks with heavy handles but been curious about how rackets like nTours would be.

I really like the ntour. I think it plays well for players ranging from 3.5-5.0. Just an all a round great racquet. I think the PS 6.1 95 is a nice step up with out too much of a change. I will let you all know my thoughts after I demo it.

Captain Tezuka
02-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Alright, just finished up customizing the new frame. After strings and over grip it weighed in at 334 grams.
I have added 4 grams of lead at 11 and 1 as well as 3 grams under the butt cap. Bringing the swing weight up to 334.
I am very curious to see if I can notice a difference. I have never played around with customizing a frame so I am excited to see what it does.

Can't wait for the review of the customised stick. Hope it works well for you. :D

asekaran
02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Has anyone tried to use the Pro Staff 100 as a starting point? There's about 1 ounce extra to play around with.

I noticed the feel was a little different than the 95 when I was demo'ing, but I might try it out anyway for my starting point.

corners
02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Has anyone tried to use the Pro Staff 100 as a starting point? There's about 1 ounce extra to play around with.

I noticed the feel was a little different than the 95 when I was demo'ing, but I might try it out anyway for my starting point.

If for no other reason, the feel would be different due to the difference in weight. Beefing up the 100 should bring the feel somewhat closer to its heftier cousins. I'm quite curious how the 100 would play when leaded up to a heavier spec.

benjamins_80
02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Definitely starting to find my rhythm with the 95. It has taken some tweaking but I am getting it where I want it. After adding 4 grams of lead at 11 and 1 and 3 grams under the butt cap it added a little more depth on my shots. It still didn't have quite the punch I was wanting so I am experimenting with the strings now. I took out the full bed of RPM Blast 17g and put in a hybrid setup with NRG2 16 in the mains and RPM in the crosses. I think that may be just the right combination. The feel of the racquet with the extra weight and hybrid setup is a thing of beauty. It is so soft and gives me a good amount of power. I have been using full poly for so long I forgot how nice it is to play with multifilament. Hopefully it will give me decent durability.

dmcb101
02-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Definitely starting to find my rhythm with the 95. It has taken some tweaking but I am getting it where I want it. After adding 4 grams of lead at 11 and 1 and 3 grams under the butt cap it added a little more depth on my shots. It still didn't have quite the punch I was wanting so I am experimenting with the strings now. I took out the full bed of RPM Blast 17g and put in a hybrid setup with NRG2 16 in the mains and RPM in the crosses. I think that may be just the right combination. The feel of the racquet with the extra weight and hybrid setup is a thing of beauty. It is so soft and gives me a good amount of power. I have been using full poly for so long I forgot how nice it is to play with multifilament. Hopefully it will give me decent durability.

I agree with experimenting with the string and different tensions. I have done the same thing and it can drastically change the way a racquet plays. I bet you could lower the tensions on this racquet to the mid 40's and it would play nice especially with all the flex. What tension did you string yours up at?

PigPen
02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
If one were to add 5g at 12, would the grame be more difficult to volley or serve with? Would the touch be affected?

dmcb101
02-20-2012, 03:46 AM
I would think it would be a bit less maneuverable with the volleys and a little less whippy for the serve but not too much. I think it would just fine! Touch would also probably stay around the same.

rlau
02-20-2012, 03:56 AM
If one were to add 5g at 12, would the grame be more difficult to volley or serve with? Would the touch be affected?

5 grams at 12 would add about 15 points in swingweight, so it will be quite a bit more sluggish, which will affect serves, volleys and groundstrokes.

dmcb101
02-20-2012, 04:18 AM
5 grams at 12 would add about 15 points in swingweight, so it will be quite a bit more sluggish, which will affect serves, volleys and groundstrokes.

Wow, really? That is a bit more for sure. I guess putting it at such a polarized position will really do that. Do you know about how much SW would be affected if say you put 6 grams total at 3 and 9?

benjamins_80
02-21-2012, 05:48 AM
I agree with experimenting with the string and different tensions. I have done the same thing and it can drastically change the way a racquet plays. I bet you could lower the tensions on this racquet to the mid 40's and it would play nice especially with all the flex. What tension did you string yours up at?

I strung the NRG2 mains at 53 lbs and the RPM crosses at 48. I may try taking it down 5 lbs on each next time but so far I really like it where it is at.
I am surprised at the amount of spin I get with this hybrid setup. I have actually tried the reverse with the RPM in the mains and the feel was obviously not as soft and the spin was not as good either.
With the NRG2 in the mains I am not seeing any drop off in spin production vs a full bed of blast. We will see if that holds up as the NRG2 gets worn a little more.

gplracer
02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
As you can see in my picture I put a good ount of lead at 10-12. The racket now has more pop on first serves and I can really go after se ond serves. It feels good but still not quite the sweetness of the BLX90.

jjs891
02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I strung the NRG2 mains at 53 lbs and the RPM crosses at 48. I may try taking it down 5 lbs on each next time but so far I really like it where it is at.
I am surprised at the amount of spin I get with this hybrid setup. I have actually tried the reverse with the RPM in the mains and the feel was obviously not as soft and the spin was not as good either.
With the NRG2 in the mains I am not seeing any drop off in spin production vs a full bed of blast. We will see if that holds up as the NRG2 gets worn a little more.

I play a similar set up in my n95's with nrg 17 main and silver string or PL II in the cross. I really like the way it plays also but durability is very poor. It lasts about 5 hrs of hitting. Recently i tried the full Solinco TB and like the way that played but I'm afraid that it may be too harsh for my arm

gplracer
02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I might have too much lead tape.....

O.fa
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Can anyone compare this to the original 6.0 95?

sunof tennis
02-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Not really that comparable. Both are good racquets in their own way. The old 6.0 was stiffer, more powerful, heavier and therefore more stable.
The new one is softer and more flexible. It is also considerably lighter. You can change the weight of the new one, but it won't really play like the old 6.0.
I like it anyway.

sp1derman
02-29-2012, 01:38 PM
So what are your guys string tensions. I have never used a players stick like this before. I have been going 57 poly mains & 58 multi crosses. I was starting to feel like I should reduce tensions to get some more power but am worried about sacrificing control...How low can I go with this headsize and not sacrifice control?

dmcb101
02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
So what are your guys string tensions. I have never used a players stick like this before. I have been going 57 poly mains & 58 multi crosses. I was starting to feel like I should reduce tensions to get some more power but am worried about sacrificing control...How low can I go with this headsize and not sacrifice control?

I go as low as 47 48. I uise full poly on a 95 and have great control. I think should be at least below the recc. tension with poly, especially if it is stiff.

sp1derman
02-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I go as low as 47 48. I uise full poly on a 95 and have great control. I think should be at least below the recc. tension with poly, especially if it is stiff.

Thanks, I am seeing that I can definitely go much lower!

dmcb101
02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks, I am seeing that I can definitely go much lower!

Yeah I know people that are in the low to mid 40's. I play 4.5 tennis so maybe as you get better in the ratings the higher in tension you will need to go just to control the pace.

sunof tennis
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM

I have gut in the mains and a soft poly in the crosses, so my tensions won't be directly applicable, but they are 55 in mains and 52 in crosses.
I would think about going slightly lower with this racquet as it is somewhat low powerered.

dmcb101
02-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I have gut in the mains and a soft poly in the crosses, so my tensions won't be directly applicable, but they are 55 in mains and 52 in crosses.
I would think about going slightly lower with this racquet as it is somewhat low powerered.

That is exactly what I was thinking. With all that flex I think going lower is probably needed to produce a bit more pace. Don't be scared and just give it a try, especially if you have a stringer.

corners
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. With all that flex I think going lower is probably needed to produce a bit more pace. Don't be scared and just give it a try, especially if you have a stringer.

I think stiffness is overrated in terms of power. The TW playtesters said the new IG Radical Pro was ridiculously flexible and yet their power rating for it was nearly as high as the new Pure Drive Roddick, which is ridiculously stiff. The TWU data for these two racquets backs them up too. The Roddick is a bit more powerful, but only a bit.

dmcb101
02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I think stiffness is overrated in terms of power. The TW playtesters said the new IG Radical Pro was ridiculously flexible and yet their power rating for it was nearly as high as the new Pure Drive Roddick, which is ridiculously stiff. The TWU data for these two racquets backs them up too. The Roddick is a bit more powerful, but only a bit.

Strange. A lot of people seem to point at this spec as the reasoning behind the low powered-ness of the new PS. I still am a little suspect of all these people hating. I think this racquet needs to be looked at in a different light.

neesun
02-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Is there a discussion/customization thread on the BLX PS 6.1 90? I can't find one on this site.

dmcb101
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Is there a discussion/customization thread on the BLX PS 6.1 90? I can't find one on this site.

try searing that in your browser as: site:tt.tennis-warehouse.com PS 6.1 90. I do that in google chrome and get better results than searching in the forum itself

neesun
02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks dmcb101.

I've currently got a demo of the PS 6.1 90 and also the PS 6.1 95.

I've only been able to hit serves with both of them and I really enjoyed the 90over the 95. For a racquet in stock form with cheap Wilson strings it was a lot of fun to hit.

I imagine if I apply an overgrip and some lead tape at 12 both should perform even better.

But right now I'm liking the stock 90 over the stock 95. I think it has to do a lot with the extra weight in the 90.

Hopefully I can hit some ground strokes with both today to see how they perform.

Funbun
02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Stiffness is rarely a good indicator of the power level of a racquet. The PT57A is very flexy, yet pros can still lead it up to be quite powerful.

I personally think you can get much more power by modifying the racquet. Changing the tension only does so much, and plus you get the benefit of the better plowthrough.

dmcb101
02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks dmcb101.

I've currently got a demo of the PS 6.1 90 and also the PS 6.1 95.

I've only been able to hit serves with both of them and I really enjoyed the 90over the 95. For a racquet in stock form with cheap Wilson strings it was a lot of fun to hit.

I imagine if I apply an overgrip and some lead tape at 12 both should perform even better.

But right now I'm liking the stock 90 over the stock 95. I think it has to do a lot with the extra weight in the 90.

Hopefully I can hit some ground strokes with both today to see how they perform.

whats you current frame? playing level?

neesun
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
whats you current frame? playing level?

I currently use Babolat Pure Storm Ltd with lead tape at 12.

I also have a Head Youtek Prestige Mid Plus which was an impulse buy and now I regret it because I don't like it. If anyone is interested in buying it let me know, it's had maybe 1 hour worth of hitting.

If I use the NTRP rating scale I would be a 4.0-4.5 player.

I've grown up playing with my Dad's old racquets which were your classic, heavy, small headed, thin beamed type. This is why on first impressions I really liked the PS 6.1 90 over the PS 6.1 95.

TaihtDuhShaat
03-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Look, the stock 6.1 ps blx 95 is not a useable racquet. It has a sw of 305, you can hit the ball with your hand and get more pace. This frame needs 25 sw points added to even compare it to anything.

dmcb101
03-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Look, the stock 6.1 ps blx 95 is not a useable racquet. It has a sw of 305, you can hit the ball with your hand and get more pace. This frame needs 25 sw points added to even compare it to anything.

Well unusable may be a bit over the top, but yeah it could use a little beef.

bbking12
03-02-2012, 04:23 PM
My current racquet is 6.1 BLX Tour 90. I have good serves & happy with my ground strokes & racquet (smaller head) is forcing me to improve my technique as its less forgiving. My NTRP is 3.5.
I need a backup so is it a good idea for me to buy 6.1 PS BLX 95 instead? I think it may be more forgiving than Tour 6.1 BLX NO?
I have never customized a racquet so I'm planning on using stock.

dmcb101
03-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Well boys and girls, finally had my first hit....and it was awesome! I noticed the low power but at the same time I did not see it as being something that could not be easily fixed. the biggest surprise as I have said on another thread was my accuracy on the run. I dont know whether it was because of the low swingweight or what, but I was hitting running winners a lot. The only beef I had with it was the little bit of whimp-i-ness on ground strokes. All I will need to do is add a tiny bit of lead and it should tighten that baby right up.

What have been all of your guys customizations?

I actually like the weight and dont want to add too much weight but I would like a bit more stability so ill probabaly add some lead at 3 and 9. Would you guys think 4 grams would be enough (4 inch strips of 1/4 inch lead)? I am also thinking of adding some right at the top of the handle. Any ideas on how much I should add (to possibly counter the weight at 3 and 9)

Thanks in advance. Hope to hear from ya'll soon.

gplracer
03-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I made my racket too heavy. I really want the weight/balance of my BLX90. Any suggestions on how to do that?

gplracer
03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Ok.... my pictures are the ones at the beginning of the thread. My prostaff was 11.0 oz unstrung. After adding the lead tape and stringing the racket the weight is now 12.00 oz. I downloaded the swingweight tool and it measured 333 for the swingweight. Does that sound about right? All the lead is at 12 o'clock.

dmcb101
03-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Ok.... my pictures are the ones at the beginning of the thread. My prostaff was 11.0 oz unstrung. After adding the lead tape and stringing the racket the weight is now 12.00 oz. I downloaded the swingweight tool and it measured 333 for the swingweight. Does that sound about right? All the lead is at 12 o'clock.

Sounds about right to me but I have not l=done the math for myself. Seems about right. Do you like it?

gplracer
03-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I do like it but it is heavy. I played with 4 different generations of the 6.1 and then the blx90. I think it feels close to those.

dmcb101
03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Alright everyone. So I just got the final perfect specs on my racquet. 11.9 ounces, 323 SW, and a balance of 33 cm (about 3 pts HL). I put lead on the "2 location solution" on the customizing tool for TWU. Here is a screen shot to prove it!

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj566/dmcb101/racquetcustomization.jpg

I am going to play in about an hour and then I will let you guys know how it plays. I can tell you right now it feels really nice in my hands. I was thinking,
"seriously? I cant believe that it actually feels this much better in my hands just by adding a little lead." Hopefully it feels better on the court. Ill keep you all posted.

dmcb101
03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Hello TW readers. Just thought I would update you on my customizing. I decided after hitting with the set up above that I would try something a little lighter as my goal is to keep the weight as low as possible while also having enough plow through to be sufficient when hitting against big hitters. I took off the 2 grams at 7'' as well as another 2 at the 3&9 position. I played with it a bit today and noticed that it felt a bit lighter and easier to maneuver when needing to react quickly. The plow through was a tiny bit less as you might imagine but still easily sufficient. My BH slice felt solid and my volley's were easy to control. I think this just may be my set up. Balance comes out at 9 pts HL and It swings great. I would assume the SW to be around 318-320. Let me know what you guys think.

fundrazer
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
No idea about all of the fancy schmancy specs, but I had a leather grip installed on mine when I ordered from TW. Threw some yonex supergrap on there and it's good to go! I like how it plays so far, not sure if I like it as much as my MG prestige MP's, but I'm really enjoying my time with it so far.

dmcb101
03-07-2012, 05:05 PM
No idea about all of the fancy schmancy specs, but I had a leather grip installed on mine when I ordered from TW. Threw some yonex supergrap on there and it's good to go! I like how it plays so far, not sure if I like it as much as my MG prestige MP's, but I'm really enjoying my time with it so far.

I see. Did you get any impression that it was a bit flimsy on balls that had a bit more pace? I myself felt like the head would almost buckle under the pressure. After adding 4 grams of lead around the PWS, I noticed that the head just plowed through the ball much better and had a more solid feeling.

Glad to hear you are liking yours though.

fundrazer
03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Not that I've noticed, it's felt pretty solid for me. I'm not really hitting with any big hitters though.

dmcb101
03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Not that I've noticed, it's felt pretty solid for me. I'm not really hitting with any big hitters though.

Oh ok, that may be why. I am a former college tennis player so I play with some guys who can hit the ball fairly hard. But I think it is great that others are trying this racquet because the specs are great for a lot of players!

benjamins_80
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I am sad to say I am going to have to give up on this frame. I just can't drive the ball through the court like I need. It feels great and when playing guys that don't move that well I love it but when it comes to playing the upper level players I struggle to put the ball away. I am quite sad, because the feel is the best of the racquets I have played with and that is a pretty extensive list.

Funbun
03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I am sad to say I am going to have to give up on this frame. I just can't drive the ball through the court like I need. It feels great and when playing guys that don't move that well I love it but when it comes to playing the upper level players I struggle to put the ball away. I am quite sad, because the feel is the best of the racquets I have played with and that is a pretty extensive list.

Lead tape.

dmcb101
03-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Same here. When adding lead it just becomes to heavy for me. I think I am a 10.7-11.0 ounce player.

CStennis11
03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
For my racquets with the stock grip, I added two grams at the butt and troat of the grip for a total of four grams. I put four grams at 12 and 2 grams at 9. I got a final weight of 339 grams or 12 oz. the swingweight is 339 and they are 66 points head light. I didn't match them identically to each other so they may be a bit different from each other, but I'm ok with that. I used the RacquetTune app on my iPhone to help me.

TipTopTennisFan
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Hey gplracer, just wondering where u purchased that racquet from? because when i look at the photo at the 'amplifeel' logo on the throat, it's moved up and has writing next to it, but pictures in TW have the logo on its own, any reasons why this would be?

Centryx
04-01-2012, 07:58 PM
hmm anyone been able to put enough lead tape on this racquet to get some of the same pop the regular 6.1 95 has? just wondering I want to add lead tape but not sure where to get the same depth on my shots as the 6.1 95 any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

TaihtDuhShaat
04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
^^^ Yes, with more spin because the flexy box beam! Lead above the top cross string at 12 oclock, since the frame only needs a higher SW because it's twistweight is sufficient.

Counterbalance how you like, but I recommend lead wrapped around under the grip at 7", add it 1g at a time at the racquetball courts until your shots feel perfect.

nhat8121
04-02-2012, 10:19 AM
my stock 95 blx ps strung, then i add 1 gram of lead at 12, a dampener, 1 overgrip, and it comes to a total of 12.0 oz already

corners
04-02-2012, 10:28 AM
hmm anyone been able to put enough lead tape on this racquet to get some of the same pop the regular 6.1 95 has? just wondering I want to add lead tape but not sure where to get the same depth on my shots as the 6.1 95 any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

I would try 6 grams at 12 and 6 grams under the buttcap trapdoor as a starting place. The swingweight won't be as high as 6.1 95 but there will be a huge improvement in pop. If you know the specs of your 6.1 95 you could just go ahead and match your Staff to that.

Centryx
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
hmm with og dampener and strings and ~6 grams of lead from 10 to 2 mine is 11.8 oz now I need about .2 oz more but my balance is around 6 pts hl right now

corners
04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
hmm with og dampener and strings and ~6 grams of lead from 10 to 2 mine is 11.8 oz now I need about .2 oz more but my balance is around 6 pts hl right now

If you like the way your 6.1 95 swings, then stuff about 6 grams in the buttcap and you should be pretty close.

ASH1485
04-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a blx kblade 98 and have thought of switching to the PS 95, i need some help with customizing the PS 95 to make the swing weight and power close to the blade 98 but without adding too much weight overall.

I am satisfied with the blade so far but i need the control and maneuverability of the PS95 as i get the net alot .

Thanks

the Town Sherif
04-07-2012, 04:53 AM
I would add 3-5 grams at 12 o'clock

ASH1485
04-09-2012, 04:46 AM
I would add 3-5 grams at 12 o'clock

do i have to counter that weight under the grip ?
is it going to affect the racket balance if i dont ? cause honestly that would be too much work for me :)

perh4ps
06-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Hey guys, I'd like to know If anyone suceeded in customizing the PS blx 95 to the specs of the 90. I want to do it but I never tried customization... Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Funbun
06-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey guys, I'd like to know If anyone suceeded in customizing the PS blx 95 to the specs of the 90. I want to do it but I never tried customization... Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Why do you like the 90? You'd end up with a rather depolarized racquet, something like a slightly lighter KPS88. Not very conducive to heavy spin. Not even Federer uses those specs, not anywhere near them.

But anyway, just use the TW Customization Tool (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php) to match the specs. Be aware that there may be significant differences in the specs between your actual racquet and the ones on the TW website. Thus, be sure to put in YOUR initial racquet specs first. I just went to my school to measure the weight with a triple beam balance, and used a friend's iPhone to get the SW using a downloadable app. You can probably do the same.

NST
06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Why do you like the 90? You'd end up with a rather depolarized racquet, something like a slightly lighter KPS88. Not very conducive to heavy spin. Not even Federer uses those specs, not anywhere near them.

But anyway, just use the TW Customization Tool (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php) to match the specs. Be aware that there may be significant differences in the specs between your actual racquet and the ones on the TW website. Thus, be sure to put in YOUR initial racquet specs first. I just went to my school to measure the weight with a triple beam balance, and used a friend's iPhone to get the SW using a downloadable app. You can probably do the same.

Fed's actual stick has the same weight,balance and swingweight as the KPS88.

RF_fan
08-21-2012, 11:20 AM
I just strung mine with X-One 17 and RPM 17, added Gamma overgrip, Sampras dampener and some bumper tape (3grams) and the weight is right at 12.0 oz (343g.) I did not check the unstrung weight.
The racquet feels good but a little light. I've been using Blx90 that is 12.8 oz, so I probably need to lead it to at least 12.5 oz. I want to keep the same balance - 7 or 8 HL.
Can anybody tell me the weight of the stock grip, and weight of TW leather grip, the one that's 1.3mm x 22mm? I have ordered it and will do the grip change in a few days, but I'd like to know how much lead to add to the frame.
I'm also a bit concerned about damaging the frame PJ with lead. Has anybody removed lead from this frame and how does it look?

FlyingAce
08-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I have done a lot of tweaking with my 95, and the best place to put a lead, in my opinion, is 2 & 10. I have added 6 grams total and changer stock grip to wilson leather grip, though differnce in weight is insignificant. After puting tourna overgrip and tourna dampner, total weight is 352 gr, 6 HL. Didn't do any SW calculations, Just feels good for me, compared to my other mad experiments lol.
I have also tried several string set ups.
1) Full bed. NXT tour 16, 17. NXT 16,17. They are good for 2-3 hours. Then open pattern kills those strings, they became rocket laucners.
2) Now I'm trying PPA mains/RPM Blast crosses (55/51). Plays great, even though I think RPM Blast not a best choice. I think best poly crosses should be slick and durable( RPM blast one of the worst in this department) Any suggestions on slick and durable polys?

Next I'm going to try Gut/poly, already have champions choice and set of Pacific classic (searching for slick and durable polys to make hybrids)

TennisCJC
08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Hello everyone,
I have a blx kblade 98 and have thought of switching to the PS 95, i need some help with customizing the PS 95 to make the swing weight and power close to the blade 98 but without adding too much weight overall.

I am satisfied with the blade so far but i need the control and maneuverability of the PS95 as i get the net alot .

Thanks

Try this.

Put 2 4" strips of 1/4" lead tape at noon - 1 on each side of the string bed.

Put 2 4" strips at 1:30 - like above.

Put 2 4" strips at 10:30 - like above.

At this point, you have added roughly 6 grams and increased the SW by 16+ grams. The stock balance of 7 HL has probably dropped to around 5.5 HL.

Try it and see if that has enough plow and the balance is OK.

Options:

If you want more plow and power, add 2 4" strips at 9:00 and 2 4" strips at 3:00. This is an additional 4 g (10 g total) and additional 6 g of SW (22+ total). This should make it a pretty solid powerful and stable racket. Balance will have moved to about 4.5+ HL.

Over 4 HL should feel fairly manueverable but if you want more HL balance more HL balance: remove all grips. Wrap lead tape strips around the pallet. Counter the weight at 10:30, noon and 1:30 with strips wrapped around the pallet just above where the plastic butt cap ends. Counter strips at 3:00 and 9:00 with strips around the pallet approximately 7" from the butt end. Example: add 6 g just above the butt cap and add 4 g at 7" to totolly counter balance the weight to the head and restore the original balance. You can layer the strips around the pallet or put them next to each other.

RF_fan
08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
I have done a lot of tweaking with my 95, and the best place to put a lead, in my opinion, is 2 & 10. I have added 6 grams total and changer stock grip to wilson leather grip, though differnce in weight is insignificant. After puting tourna overgrip and tourna dampner, total weight is 352 gr, 6 HL. Didn't do any SW calculations, Just feels good for me, compared to my other mad experiments lol.
I have also tried several string set ups.
1) Full bed. NXT tour 16, 17. NXT 16,17. They are good for 2-3 hours. Then open pattern kills those strings, they became rocket laucners.
2) Now I'm trying PPA mains/RPM Blast crosses (55/51). Plays great, even though I think RPM Blast not a best choice. I think best poly crosses should be slick and durable( RPM blast one of the worst in this department) Any suggestions on slick and durable polys?

Next I'm going to try Gut/poly, already have champions choice and set of Pacific classic (searching for slick and durable polys to make hybrids)
Try Kirschbaum Pro Line Evolution or Signum Pro Poly-Plasma. I haven't tried them yet, but I will try those next as crosses (VS mains). From what I read on these forums, they are softer polys and hold tension well.

gplracer
08-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Hey gplracer, just wondering where u purchased that racquet from? because when i look at the photo at the 'amplifeel' logo on the throat, it's moved up and has writing next to it, but pictures in TW have the logo on its own, any reasons why this would be?

Sorry late response - I bought it at The PGA Superstore.

RF_fan
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
I have replaced the grip with a TW leather (22mm x 1.3mm) and since I had to cut some leftover - my racquet weight decreased by 1 gram. Anybody used other brands of leather grip that's heavier and easy to install?

FlyingAce
08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Stock replacement grip weights as much as wilson leather grip, that i can say for sure. Don't knwo the exact weight of a stock grip, but after changing it for a leather static weight increaed just for 1 gramm.
And wilson lead tape do not damage paint job, did a lot of tweaking with lead

Galdust
08-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Anyone knows the weight of a gamma supreme overgrip?

I use two of those overgrips. I currently have a total of 5g added at 3 and 9 o'clock, and I like it so far, but I want to make the racket a bit heavier. Was thinking of adding 4g underneath the grip and add 3g more at 3 and 9 o'clock.

corners
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Anyone knows the weight of a gamma supreme overgrip?

About 7 grams, installed.

kabob
10-13-2013, 11:08 PM

I just did this and it's incredibly head light. Feels almost as if you're holding a baton and not a tennis racket. Mine came with lead tape at the top of the hoop but it didn't feel particularly balanced when I swung it (bit of a hammer effect). I'm looking at advice in this thread so that I can get the balance less headlight while having a uniform-feeling hoop like the original Pro Staff 6.0 95.

THE FIGHTER
01-14-2014, 04:52 PM
I just did this and it's incredibly head light. Feels almost as if you're holding a baton and not a tennis racket. Mine came with lead tape at the top of the hoop but it didn't feel particularly balanced when I swung it (bit of a hammer effect). I'm looking at advice in this thread so that I can get the balance less headlight while having a uniform-feeling hoop like the original Pro Staff 6.0 95.

lead in the base of the handle to get it more headlight, and lead in the throat/ top of the handle to get it depolarized like original 6.0 line.

or just put lead in the throat/ top of the handle, however, it will be harder to get it feeling headlight this way with lead tape already at 12.