PDA

View Full Version : Replacing broken racquet = Fine ?

tdnxxx444
07-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I was watching a match between Federer and Safin -- It was either the AO Semi's or the Master's Cup in Houston. Safin threw down his racquet and then look at it to see if it was broken. The commetator said something about if he changed racquets, he would be fined. Why is this?

bigfoot910
07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
He would be fined because this would be a form of bad gamesmanship. They could argue that he broke his racquet on purpose to disrupt the flow of the match, to throw Federer off of his stride and get a small time-out for Safin to catch his breath and regroup. When strings break, it is not a purposeful thing, so there is no penalty incurred, but something like this is completely deliberate, or completely childish and stupid. I know everybody needs to throw Federer off of his play, but at least do it legitimately with your strokes, not by being a bad sportsman.

splink779
07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
I thought you just get a warning, but only if you have to change the racquet after you throw it before the next point. If you break it and play the point, then change racquets, its ok.

donnyz89
07-21-2005, 07:05 PM
i dont think safin broke his racquet to get federer off his game.

DashaandSafin
07-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Getting more stupid new members everday. I highly doubt Safin throws his racquets to throw his opponents off their games. Its pretty obvious if you even watch tennis at all.

morganman
07-21-2005, 08:12 PM
It not just pros usta gives u a point penalty and park tournaments to.

Junkball
07-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Yep, it happened to me.
I deliberately smashed my frame against the cement OVER AND OVER AND OVER again until you could only see half of it and my opponent told me I had to play the next point with it (which I did) or else he'd call over an official (that was a couple of courts over) to penalize me.

Steve Huff
07-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I doubt Safin broke his racket to disrupt Federer. He breaks rackets to vent his anger when he loses his temper. Unfortunately, too many spoiled brats do this.

PrestigeClassic
07-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Getting more stupid new members everday. I highly doubt Safin throws his racquets to throw his opponents off their games. Its pretty obvious if you even watch tennis at all.

Uhh, that wasn't the point. It wasn't even about Safin in particular. In other words, ATP Tour rules don't revolve around any one of its players. It seems the point the poster was trying to get across was if breaking frames meant no penalty whatsoever, then some players would attempt to throw off their opponents.

AndrewD
07-22-2005, 04:07 AM
I don't know about the ATP but at the ITF level, unless they've changed the rules (again) since I recently stopped umpiring a broken racquet was an immediate penalty (warning, etc in line with the 3 step system) regardless of whether the racquet is playable or not.

If you get the chance to see the McEnroe default at the Oz Open you'll actually hear Mac arguing that he shouldn't be penalised as he could continue playing with the racquet after he'd cracked it. The referee and chair umpire both informed him that wasn't the case and a broken racquet (broken or cracked due to the player's fit of temper) was an automatic penalty.

Of course, that is not to say they would choose to enforce it. However, they are supposed to.

As to the ATP, well they have their own ruling on those things.

equinox
07-22-2005, 04:39 AM
Yep, it happened to me.
I deliberately smashed my frame against the cement OVER AND OVER AND OVER again until you could only see half of it and my opponent told me I had to play the next point with it (which I did) or else he'd call over an official (that was a couple of courts over) to penalize me.

You aced him with the buttcap! nice work!

littlelleyton
07-22-2005, 04:41 AM
spink is right, if you throw/hit your racket and change it before the next point then this is when a penalty would be incurred. however if once the next point is played you can change it after that.

PrestigeClassic
07-22-2005, 04:41 AM
I don't know about the ATP but at the ITF level, unless they've changed the rules (again) since I recently stopped umpiring a broken racquet was an immediate penalty (warning, etc in line with the 3 step system) regardless of whether the racquet is playable or not.

If you get the chance to see the McEnroe default at the Oz Open you'll actually hear Mac arguing that he shouldn't be penalised as he could continue playing with the racquet after he'd cracked it. The referee and chair umpire both informed him that wasn't the case and a broken racquet (broken or cracked due to the player's fit of temper) was an automatic penalty.

Of course, that is not to say they would choose to enforce it. However, they are supposed to.

As to the ATP, well they have their own ruling on those things.

That is interesting. How would you determine that a frame was cracked? And perhaps immediately after being thrown, a frame would still look all right but break down during an impending rally. In that case, you couldn't do anything, right? Or, did a simple cracking sound constitute a penalty?

equinox
07-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Smashing your racquet in anger is not allowed. Demerit points add up during a year. Too many you'd get suspended.

tdnxxx444
07-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Yep, it happened to me.

Lol. Did you win the next point? Would have been funny if you did -- would probably totally **** of your opponent. Your opponent sounds like a freaking loser. If I were him, i'd just be really amused and feel bad the you just broke your racquet.

Rob_C
07-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Just like a previous poster said, breaking/cracking your racket is an automatic penalty. Pros sometimes try to fool the umpire into thinking it wasnt broken ot avoid the fine. They'll play one more pt, then switch rackets, since pros switch rackets all the time anyway, they hope the umpire will think they are switching because of the string tension, or that a string is about to break, etc.

bigfoot910
07-22-2005, 09:43 PM

Gamesmanship is present at every level of the game. By the way, I never miss Marat's matches. Anyone can argue that Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, McEnroe, or any number of other players take their celebration (or anger) to extremes to throw off the other player. Has anyone ever read "Winning Ugly"? There is basically a whole chapter devoted to Connors' and McEnroe's antics used to disrupt play.

tennis4losers
07-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah, he looked like a complete d-bag when he threw it too