PDA

View Full Version : Are we going too "deep"? brief rant on over thinking...

salsainglesa
02-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Maybe you should consider more variables... like time, and court positioning for both players. What really matters is not where the little ball bounces, but where the other player is able to hit it.

If he can not move into the court, because he was too far and your shot was to fast but it bounced short, you have an advantage...
and I will not get more examples its a waste of time.

SIMPLIFY... hit heavy or hard at your most consistent height to the corners and you will be a winneeeeer. consider the balls hit towards you as an opportunity and hit them to the nearest corner, but still, the corner and you will force the other player.

hitting wide should be done scarcely, down the line also... 90 percent of your shots could be, simply hit to the most comfortable corner. why worry so much for the 10 percent?
if you are working so hard on those shots, then you must be really putting 20 hours a week on your tennis skills... if not, then to the hell with it!...

my little disclaimer, half of the shots will be better than you expected, identify them and take advantage on them.

keeeeeep it, siiiiiiiiimple

fuzz nation
02-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Simple is sensible for sure.

Here's my disclaimer: Still on my first cup of coffee. Just wait until I get them synapses fired up and I'll over-think pretty much anything.

thug the bunny
02-14-2012, 04:50 AM
You said it bro. I will add my .02 to a thread here and there, but when some of these guys get revved up and start posting page long dissertations over minutia and semantics and nth degree of differences in opinons, I bail. This last deep vs angle thing was typical. I even posted a 'summary' after 3 pages of posts as a hint to wrap it up and let it go, but noooooo, the dead horse wasn't quite dead yet..

Same thing with swing mechanics usually. Just hit the farking ball!

GuyClinch
02-15-2012, 05:25 AM
So..umm you mean hit cross court most of the time?. I didn't find your simple that simple..

thug the bunny
02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Salsa is saying that a good majority of rally balls should be simple, safe, comfortable shots towards the corners (short or deep, whatever) to keep your opp on the move while you bide your time waiting for a ball with which you can get aggressive. This is what high percentage tennis at a decent level should be. Simple, eh?

I concur.

chico9166
02-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Don't hit it long. Pretty simple.

02-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Salsa is saying that a good majority of rally balls should be simple, safe, comfortable shots towards the corners (short or deep, whatever) to keep your opp on the move while you bide your time waiting for a ball with which you can get aggressive. This is what high percentage tennis at a decent level should be. Simple, eh?
I concur.

And I basically agreed with that, as long as you were not pushing for extreme depth that brought in too many UEs. I never pushed for heavy angles and the Targets I developed are on the shot line of the corners you mention. My point was only to add more margin on depth to help with the UEs in that department and let pace and spin keep the ball from getting attacked. Some posters just go on tangents and need to go from one extreme to another painting comments into something that was never said. They jump to one conclusion after another, like if it's not extreme depth, it must be harder angles.
You guys have it right here imo as well.

KenC
02-15-2012, 06:46 AM

I concur.

Thinking like that can take a player from really low levels all the way up to the pro levels. How the hell can we argue incessantly with reasoning like that?

02-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Thinking like that can take a player from really low levels all the way up to the pro levels. How the hell can we argue incessantly with reasoning like that?

To answer that, look at post #306 and see at least two comments easy to debate, but since it gets so heated, you just have to let them go and stand looking reasonable to the glance.

The Op here states it much more accurately, so there is not the conflict.
But many good things did come up in that thread due to the misunderstandings raised
and debated. They do serve a purpose.

10sLifer
02-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Just do this. Go to the first round of the australian open and count the number of unforced errors. Now count the number of winners. Yes, simplify. Try not to miss and you should be in pretty good shape.

user92626
02-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Just do this. Go to the first round of the australian open and count the number of unforced errors. Now count the number of winners. Yes, simplify. Try not to miss and you should be in pretty good shape.

One time after seeing my doubles partner making more UEs than I'd like, I told him to try not to make any more UEs, like you say here. He sarcastically replied "No, I play tennis to make mistakes!"

02-15-2012, 08:06 AM
One time after seeing my doubles partner making more UEs than I'd like, I told him to try not to make any more UEs, like you say here. He sarcastically replied "No, I play tennis to make mistakes!"

I'm not sure all should be sarcastic in that comment with the way they go about it.

Connors Fan
02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I know at my 3.5 level its about that simple. I changed from trying to outhit my usual partner ( I cant really) to just making him run from corner to corner (not even the corners really, just side towards one side or the other) and was amazed at how much pressure that put on him. Plus when you hit like that, the vast majority of the shots that come back to you, seem to be in the middle of the court, so you barely have to move.

Joehax
02-17-2012, 01:38 PM
This sounds like half of the pusher strategy.

Seriously though I agree about not overthinking your shots. At my level the shots that give opponents the most trouble are the slow high bouncing balls. Why? Because the opponent has ages to think about it and is under pressure to put it away..

Logan71
02-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Interesting read on Wilander's take on tennis as a game.He said he focuses more on running than mechanics.

Tennis is a moving game.If your fitness is poor than your game will suffer.Now I'm slightly older for about the first hour I feel sharp and loose and the winners seem easy to hit.

When I stay out longer tiredness is linked to your technique,mental strength,footwork,spacing.It all unravels over time as you get tired.

For higher level players on here probably 5.0 and above this isn't a weaker link in their game,but for those of under that certainly it's why we have a lower rating.

It's more important to control direction of shot and shot choice in other words strategy should be the most important thing from day one.

Stroke mechanics are essential but you will always be working on that.Matches are where it's at and winning as many as possible.Where and not how,mentally frees you to not put style over substance.

Get someone on the move and you can win the physical battle and when you have done that then the winners become easier to hit.

dominikk1985
02-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Interesting read on Wilander's take on tennis as a game.He said he focuses more on running than mechanics.

Tennis is a moving game.If your fitness is poor than your game will suffer.Now I'm slightly older for about the first hour I feel sharp and loose and the winners seem easy to hit.

When I stay out longer tiredness is linked to your technique,mental strength,footwork,spacing.It all unravels over time as you get tired.

For higher level players on here probably 5.0 and above this isn't a weaker link in their game,but for those of under that certainly it's why we have a lower rating.

It's more important to control direction of shot and shot choice in other words strategy should be the most important thing from day one.

Stroke mechanics are essential but you will always be working on that.Matches are where it's at and winning as many as possible.Where and not how,mentally frees you to not put style over substance.

Get someone on the move and you can win the physical battle and when you have done that then the winners become easier to hit.

wasnt wilander a guy who was supposed to have tremendous natural fitness without working hard for it?