PDA

View Full Version : Lead at 3 and 9 under grommets?

Rusty669
02-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Hi there, I have a Wilson Six One Tour and I would like to put a few grams of lead at the 3 and 9 position.
However, it kind of gets on my nerves attaching it to the frame near the strings, so I was wondering if it were possible to hide it on the outside of the frame under the grommets, like one is able to hide it under the bumper guard too at the top of the racket.
Do you think this is possible if I use very thin lead tape?
Cheers

movdqa
02-14-2012, 04:59 AM
I don't think that I've seen that done. Pros just put it on the inside of the frame if they aren't using CAPs. The other thing about putting it under the bumper is that you'd really better be sure about the lead placement as you'll have to cut out your strings if you change your mind. On some Head racquets, you have to replace the strings and the grommets to change the lead under the grommets.

Rusty669
02-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Yes you are right, I'd obviously have to be sure what amount I want.
But theoretically it should be possible I guess,right?

movdqa
02-14-2012, 06:48 AM
You'd be punching holes in the lead unless you were just putting it between the holes.

Seems pretty messy and not worth the effort.

subz
02-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Few grams wont help you at all since the racquet is very heavy and adding some grams wont make a difference. I would suggest to add at least 50 grams (25 at 3 and 25 and 9).

About your question, pros like Roger have lead tape underneath bumper otherwise a lot of TW Federer lovers would have picked it and his lead images will be everywhere.

Since you are not a pro, no one cares if you are using lead tape. There is an invention called scissors. Use them to cut the lead tape lengthwise and place it on both sides of the gromments.

Cheers.

toedragger
02-14-2012, 07:17 AM
I've considered this in the past as well, and I'll share two thoughts:

* A) If you decide to simply 'poke through', be very careful that poked lead pieces don't enter the inside of your racquet. That'd be a huge issue having lead pieces rattling around in there.

* B) If you decide to place it 'between' the holes - this will essentially mean tha the lead will therefore be placed over a greater span or length of the racquet. 3 inches of lead might wind up taking up well over four inches of space. Is this a bad thing? I don't know. Just something to consider.

But to answer your question, sure, there are methods. Give it a shot.

OrangePower
02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Few grams wont help you at all since the racquet is very heavy and adding some grams wont make a difference. I would suggest to add at least 50 grams (25 at 3 and 25 and 9).

:shock::shock::shock:

Adding 50g to 3 and 9 would make the swingweight, what, 1000?!?

Carolina Racquet
02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
I've considered this in the past as well, and I'll share two thoughts:

* A) If you decide to simply 'poke through', be very careful that poked lead pieces don't enter the inside of your racquet. That'd be a huge issue having lead pieces rattling around in there.

* B) If you decide to place it 'between' the holes - this will essentially mean tha the lead will therefore be placed over a greater span or length of the racquet. 3 inches of lead might wind up taking up well over four inches of space. Is this a bad thing? I don't know. Just something to consider.

But to answer your question, sure, there are methods. Give it a shot.

I've done this and punched holes in the lead tape using my stringers awl. I had a couple of rogue pieces of lead rattle in my frame until I got them out.

It does create a nice clean look, but if I had to do it over again, I would just live with the lead tape on the inside hoop of the frame.

tinyman
02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Yes you are right, I'd obviously have to be sure what amount I want.
But theoretically it should be possible I guess,right?

It is quite possible, I have done it before. It's not an incredibly clean look, as you will notice it on close inspection - however it gets the lead out of the way, and to all glances would not be apparent that you had it there. I did the same as Carolina - punch through with an awl and go from there.

neverstopplaying
02-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I've done this and punched holes in the lead tape using my stringers awl. I had a couple of rogue pieces of lead rattle in my frame until I got them out.

It does create a nice clean look, but if I had to do it over again, I would just live with the lead tape on the inside hoop of the frame.

I've done this also in the past; I used a small paper-hole-punch to cut out the holes in the lead, after marking the lead with a marker. The results were good, but it's a PITA to do.

I would do it again though, as once the lead is in place, it never gets wrinkled or unstuck and looks clean.

Depending on the racquet, you may have to buy a new grommet set, due to flaring.

Rusty669
02-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks for all your replies!I think I'll just give it a shot...
I do have a new set of grommets lying around anyway, so I'll try punching holes via the paper-hole-punch way. Should work:)
I believe it might be better anyway adding weight in longer strips at 3 and 9 than say shorter strips but with the same weight.

yashin
02-15-2012, 03:55 AM

what the hell? that's complete nonsense. 4 grams at 3 and 4 grams at 9 already make a significant difference

Rusty669
02-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Yeah, I am not sure what he was going on about either.
Maybe he is Pete Sampras, who knows!