PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Formula 100

Boricua
02-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Has anyone used this racket? How does it compare with Babolat Aeroprodrive GT in terms of feel, spin production or other areas?

drakulie
02-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Much better feel. Not hollow feeling and has as
Much power and spin. Much more comfortable.

jgoud
02-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Much better feel. Not hollow feeling and has as
Much power and spin. Much more comfortable.

In fact formula 100 is much more like tecnifibre speedflex 300, apdgt is more control/spin oriented.

if you search 1) power 2) comfort it's a good stick.

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Has anyone used this racket? How does it compare with Babolat Aeroprodrive GT in terms of feel, spin production or other areas?

Well being a donnayaholic I couldn't resist a thread about this.

I Hated it !!

Firstbof all this is notba new Donnay racquet.

It's actually the donnay x-p dual 27. It now has a a new paint job and a new name "formula". You can do a search on donnay x-p dual 27 for some reviews.

I'm guessing that the racquet did not sell well so they decided to repackage it?
Pretty dishonest in my opinion.

I'm a former APD cortex plus user. The APD is far superior. The "formula" is powerful .....way to powerful in my opinion . It's also bulky and does not cut through the air like APD.

The Pro one on the other hand is much more like the APD, in fact I think the Pro one is superior to the APD in every department.

drakulie
02-14-2012, 06:33 AM
The Pro one on the other hand is much more like the APD, in fact I think the Pro one is superior to the APD in every department.

these two frames couldn't be more further apart. They play nothing like the other.

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 07:06 AM
these two frames couldn't be more further apart. They play nothing like the other.

I agree it's a better APD....but not all that different.

Donnay  weight 11.5  APD 11.3

Length 27 for both

Balance : donnay 4 pts head light  APD  5 pts head light

Pattern 16 x 19 for both

Beam and stiffness are different but that's the whole Donnay strategy.  The dual core allows them to make the same racquet as the APD just thinner and more maneuverable. So although the beam is thinner and the stiffness is less on the Donnay it plays the similar because of the dual core foam filling.

Head size is 97 on the Donnay pro one and 100 on the APD . But again the APD is hollow so the Donnay can achieve the same power and sweetspot in a slightly smaller frame.

In any event this should all be in another thread.

This thread is about the formula.....which I think is a horrible racquet

drakulie
02-14-2012, 07:19 AM
^^^ regardless of specs, they play nothing alike. Anyone who has hit with both could immediately note huge differences.

The formula is much closer in playing characteristics to the APD and
Pure drive.

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
^^^ regardless of specs, they play nothing alike. Anyone who has hit with both could immediately note huge differences.

The formula is much closer in playing characteristics to the APD and
Pure drive.

Well we can disagree.....we are all entitled to what we "feel". It's a very personal thing. It's like saying "that girl is pretty".

I don't agree with the analysis of the specs however.

The formula may be a 27 beam but it is not a hollow frame. Therefore even though it's the same beam as a an APD there is more mass . So it plays heavier and bulkier in my opinion.

And let's not forget that the APD has a unique beam. It's thinner in some spots and thicker in others while the formula is 27 throughout . The APD cuts through the air much quicker than the bulky Formula. In fact the "APD" is called "Aero" because it is designed to cut through the air.

The pro one on the other hand is a bit thinner and can cut through the air at least equally as quick as the "Aero".

The "Aero" is designed to be a thicker power ful racquet but cut through the air as qucick as a thin beamed racquet. The Donnay Premise is to make thinner racquets that are not hollow so they can play as powerful as a thicker racquet but still cut through the air as fast as a thin racquet.

Basically both the Pro one & the APD arrive at the same point but they are coming from different directions . Donnay wants to make a thin racquet play like a thick one while The Aero tries to make a thick racquet play like a thin one. So in the end they end up playing similar.

However I do agree that they play differently....but saying they couldn't be more different is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

mrtrinh
02-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Well we can disagree.....we are all entitled to what we "feel". It's a very personal thing. It's like saying "that girl is pretty".

The formula may be a 27 beam but it is not a hollow frame. Therefore even though it's the same beam as a an APD there is more mass . So it plays heavier and bulkier in my opinion.

And let's not forget that the APD has a unique beam. It's thinner in some spots and thicker in others while the formula is 27 throughout . The APD cuts through the air much quicker than the bulky Formula. In fact the "APD" is called "Aero" because it is designed to cut through the air.

The pro one on the other hand is a bit thinner and can cut through the air at least equally as quick as the "Aero".

The "Aero" is designed to be a thicker power ful racquet but cut through the air as qucick as a thin beamed racquet. The Donnay Premise is to make thinner racquets that are not hollow so they can play as powerful as a thicker racquet but still cut through the air as fast as a thin racquet.

Basically both the Pro one & the APD arrive at the same point but they are coming from different directions . Donnay wants to make a thin racquet play like a thick one while The Aero tries to make a thick racquet play like a thin one. So in the end they end up playing similar.

However I do agree that they play differently....but saying they couldn't be more different is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Good analogy. I just switched to the pro one and i cant believe how pwerful it is. Its controllable power though. I would put it in the same power level as the pure drive.

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Good analogy. I just switched to the pro one and i cant believe how pwerful it is. Its controllable power though. I would put it in the same power level as the pure drive.

Thanks but I can't take the credit....it's Donnays analogy.

The unique properties of XeneCore create a solid frame achieving the highest strength to weight ratio in the industry resulting in X-treme power, X-treme control, and X-treme feel. At 1.5 gigapascals, the XeneCore racquets possess 50% more tensile strength than current graphite racquets, allowing for the thinnest beam width on the market at 15mm. The X-treme torsional rigidity and stability advance the playing characteristics above and beyond what’s available with current graphite composite racquets providing the established player a lighter racquet for control and feel, possessing the power of a heavier model, while reducing shock and vibration. Roman Prokes

All have Donnay’s patent-pending and high-tensile-strength XēneCore™ material that was introduced in the original Donnay X-Series. But the Dual-Core racquets have second layer of XēneCore™ tubing on the inside of the hoop that further fortifies the frame and eliminates the loss of energy on ball contact. 

Since more energy is retained on the strings it provides an additional boost of power, comfort, control and stability, while maintaining X-Series’ ease-of-swing, the result of thin-beam engineering and design. Donnay

Therefore following that line of logic, if the Donnays truly play like a thicker racquet in a thinner body then the formula 27 plays like a much thicker racquet. Furthermore it stands to reason then that the thinner Pro one plays more like the fast cutting "aero" . Make sense?

Boricua
02-14-2012, 08:43 AM

"However I do agree that they play differently"

So, how do they play differently?

Besides, some people say the Pro One is more designed for flat hitting. What do you think?

Boricua
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks but I can't take the credit....it's Donnays analogy.

The unique properties of XeneCore create a solid frame achieving the highest strength to weight ratio in the industry resulting in X-treme power, X-treme control, and X-treme feel. At 1.5 gigapascals, the XeneCore racquets possess 50% more tensile strength than current graphite racquets, allowing for the thinnest beam width on the market at 15mm. The X-treme torsional rigidity and stability advance the playing characteristics above and beyond what’s available with current graphite composite racquets providing the established player a lighter racquet for control and feel, possessing the power of a heavier model, while reducing shock and vibration. Roman Prokes

All have Donnay’s patent-pending and high-tensile-strength XēneCore™ material that was introduced in the original Donnay X-Series. But the Dual-Core racquets have second layer of XēneCore™ tubing on the inside of the hoop that further fortifies the frame and eliminates the loss of energy on ball contact. 

Since more energy is retained on the strings it provides an additional boost of power, comfort, control and stability, while maintaining X-Series’ ease-of-swing, the result of thin-beam engineering and design. Donnay

Therefore following that line of logic, if the Donnays truly play like a thicker racquet in a thinner body then the formula 27 plays like a much thicker racquet. Furthermore it stands to reason then that the thinner Pro one plays more like the fast cutting "aero" . Make sense?

Is the Pro One more control oriented than the Aeropro? More arm friendly?

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Is the Pro One more control oriented than the Aeropro? More arm friendly?

I definitely think so.

It provides the same power and sweet spot but in a thinner frame and a smaller frame.

I changed from the APD and I found the change to be seamless.

I could hit with it better than my APD right out of the box.

In fact that is the way you should choose all Donnays. You should find a Donnay that is as close to the specs of your current racquet but in a thinner version.

The Donnays are thinner but are as powerful as a thicker racquet. The Pro one is very close in specs to the APD the only differences are that it's thinner and more maneuvarable. This results in far more control with no loss of power.

The formula is on the other hand a 27 inch racquet but plays mor like a 32 inch racquet. It may have a closer beam to the APD but it's way more powerful and less manuevarble than the APD.

The formula in my opinion is a grandpa racquet.

With Donnay you can't match the specs exactly of your current sticks because the Donnays are not hollow. This makes a huge difference. Always pick a thinner version of your current frame. You will find the result to be simply a better more controllable version of your current frame.

The pro one to me is just a much better version of an APD.....the formula on the other hand is just way to powerful and bulky. It may be the most powerful
Stick on the market. It's for a 3.0 player and under in my opinion.

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
"However I do agree that they play differently"

So, how do they play differently?

Besides, some people say the Pro One is more designed for flat hitting. What do you think?

That's a really good point. I am a flat hitter.....so maybe that's why I love it so much? I cannot comment on the topspin.

On the other hand Janes Blake uses it and hits with Topspin but not the Nadal type of loopy topspin.

I guess it depends on what type of topspin you are looking for. If it's a laser type topspin like the joker or Blake version then go for the Donnay but if it's the loopy topspin of Nadal then maybe the APD is the better way to go.

I don't know because I just cannot hit a ball anything like Nadal. My shots are way more flat.

Boricua
02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
That's a really good point. I am a flat hitter.....so maybe that's why I love it so much? I cannot comment on the topspin.

On the other hand Janes Blake uses it and hits with Topspin but not the Nadal type of loopy topspin.

I guess it depends on what type of topspin you are looking for. If it's a laser type topspin like the joker or Blake version then go for the Donnay but if it's the loopy topspin of Nadal then maybe the APD is the better way to go.

I don't know because I just cannot hit a ball anything like Nadal. My shots are way more flat.

Generally, I hit more of a loopy topspin both on forehand and and in my one handed backhand. Soemtimes I drive tha ball a bit, but that is the exception.

Wish I could demo the Pro One, but I cant.

Guess Ill wait for the new Aeropro next year. Thanks for the help though.:)

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Generally, I hit more of a loopy topspin both on forehand and and in my one handed backhand. Soemtimes I drive tha ball a bit, but that is the exception.

Wish I could demo the Pro One, but I cant.

Guess Ill wait for the new Aeropro next year. Thanks for the help though.:)

Actually you can demo it because it's sold on TW.

The APD is an absolutely awesome stick.....you can't go wrong with that choice.

For my personal game however I do like the pro one better. But this thread is about the formula......

Although the specs are similar to the APD I promise you that the Formula plays nothing like an APD or even a pure drive. The formula is just way more powerful. I would stay away.

drakulie
02-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Well we can disagree.....

We will. You have no clue what you are talking about. Regardless of specs, the Pro One and APD have absolutely zero similarities on court. None. They play nothing alike, regardless of the fact they both have 16X19 string patterns.

Next you will be saying the Pure Drive and BLX 90 play the same because they both have 16X19 patterns.

Click on the Formula, and you'll see one of the racquets its compared to is the Pure Drive:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Donnay_Formula_100/descpageRCDONNAY-DFORM.html

Now click on the Pure Drive, and you'll see one of the racquets its being compared to is the Aero:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive_GT/descpageRCBAB-BPDGT.html

No where is there any mention of the Pro One.

Seriously, have you even hit with any of these frames?? You should quit while you are behind.

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 10:17 AM

I agree with you . Drakulie on the other hand thinks we are crazy for having that opinion.

Boricua
02-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Actually you can demo it because it's sold on TW.

The APD is an absolutely awesome stick.....you can't go wrong with that choice.

For my personal game however I do like the pro one better. But this thread is about the formula......

Although the specs are similar to the APD I promise you that the Formula plays nothing like an APD or even a pure drive. The formula is just way more powerful. I would stay away.

I live in Puerto Rico. The thing is that I can buy from Tennis Warehouse, but cant demo rackets from TW. I hope this changes sometime.

Ive used the APD for about 3-4 years now, first the Cortex now the GT. I like it but always looking at other choices.

VOLLEY KING
02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
I live in Puerto Rico.  The thing is that I can buy from Tennis Warehouse, but cant demo rackets from TW. I hope this changes sometime. 

Ive used the APD for about 3-4 years now, first the Cortex now the GT. I like it but always looking at other choices.

APD is an awesome stick. I can't really it's better or worse than the pro one.

I happen to like the pro one better for my game..... But Hit more of a laser topspin.

Here's my comparison of Donnay vs APD

[/b]Serves:[/b] 

Pro one wins. More accurate and no loss of power

returns

It's so close I would have to give it a tie. Blocking serves are better with the pro one but APD is better for put aways  especially on a second serve.

Slices and flat ball groundstrokes

Pro one wins far and away

topspin

I have to think APD is better here. I'm not a big topspinner hitter as I hit a mix of topspin and flat ......but after watching Nadal I have to give the edge to the APD. But I'm really not qualified to give an opinion on the topspin stroke.

volleys

Pro one wins hands down. It's not even close

Power

Equal power but pro one has more control. Pro one wins

Formula vs apd

APD wins. The formula is a canon and the ball just flies to the moon

Returns

APD wins. The formula is bulky and is not maneuverable

[/b]Slices and flat balls[/b]

Apd wins. The formula is to bulky to hit an effective slice.  It just doesn't slice through the air at all.

Topspin

I'm not a big topspinner but the formula should not even be mentioned in the sane sentence as the APD when it comes to topspin.

volleys

Apd wins again . The formula is just nit maneuverable

power

The formula is more powerful....but it's not nearly as controllable as the APD. So the APD wins again.

drakulie
02-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I agree with you . Drakulie on the other hand thinks we are crazy for having that opinion.

I don't think you are crazy at all. But it is very obvious you have never played with either of these frames or simply have no idea how to distinguish between two completely different playing frames.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 04:40 AM
I don't think you are crazy at all. But it is very obvious you have never played with either of these frames or simply have no idea how to distinguish between two completely different playing frames.

Actually you mean that you don't think WE are crazy because I'm not alone.

But lets recap what your exact contention is :

My contention 

they play differently but saying these two frames couldn't be further apart is a bit of a stretch

Im doing this from memory but I do think therse are the stats:

APD : 11.3 ounces
DP: 11.5 ounces 

APD : 5 pts head light
DP:  4 pts head light

Apd tip : 23.00 mm
DP: 21.5

Apd: beam width is VERY thin....actually  TW say 0.0 ??
DP: pretty thin as well 21.5

APD : 16 x 19
DP : 16x19

APD swing weight : 324
DP swing weight:  327

APD head size : 100
DO head size : 97

Conclusion : I think that I can  
" possibly find two racquets further apart".... For example I think a Wilson Sampras Pro staff and a Big Bubba would be further apart .

Do the APD and the Donnay play differently ? Yes they do ....in fact the DP is better in my opinion......
But two say there are no two racquets that could be more different is just a stretch in my opinion and the numbers prove that.

I do think the APD and DP are "similar" in that they are in the same 
"family" of racquets.

They both have about the same amount of power and are both maneuverable and actually now that I look more closely they are not as far away in beam width .

For example the APD is actually 
22 mm  where it counts , the DP is 21 mm everywhere while the Formula is a whopping 27 mm everywhere!

The "aero" is made to cut through the air like a thinner frame . The DP cuts through the air as a thin frame but plays thicker as it is not hollow, while the formula at 27 inches plays like a much thicker frame as it is not hollow.

But I don't want to get into tho with you Drak. Let's just agree to disagree ok?

Can I please be entitled to my opinion and move on? I certainly do respect yours. Ok?

drakulie
02-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Again, you are going off published specs, not how they actually feel and play in the real world.

They play NOTHING alike. Zero, zilch, nada!

The formula is much more similar in play to the PD and APD.

Stop posting bs and bad information.

Automatix
02-15-2012, 05:37 AM

Stop posting bs and bad information. Quoted for truth.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Again, you are going off published specs, not how they actually feel and play in the real world.

I did go off published specs. They are right off the TW compare racquets. Just check it out for yourself.

But as Agassi says "image is everything" here is why thin Donnay frames play as far thicker frames:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1733/img0820ib.jpg

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 05:49 AM
and here are the three racquets lined up side by side by TW. (I dont know how to post it as a pic....if anyone knows how please do it for me).

http://www.racquetfinder.com/compare.php?pcode=DFORM

mhj202
02-15-2012, 05:58 AM
and here are the three racquets lined up side by side by TW. (I dont know how to post it as a pic....if anyone knows how please do it for me).

http://www.racquetfinder.com/compare.php?pcode=DFORM

FYI- only the Formula shows up on the comparison chart when I click on the link.

Automatix
02-15-2012, 05:59 AM
I did go off published specs. They are right off the TW compare racquets. Just check it out for yourself.

But as Agassi says "image is everything" here is why thin Donnay frames play as far thicker frames:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1733/img0820ib.jpg

Ohh my...

Vantage...
http://www.vantagetennis.com/_imgs/PUfoam.jpg

Prince...
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ckuehn/tennis/diablo-foam.jpg

Wilson...
http://i40.tinypic.com/2n7eao7.jpg

Foam filled frames.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Hey thats cool !!! I didnt know that??? why dont they advertise that? I thought Donnay had a patent on it??

But can you male the pics a bit smaller because it would be easier to comapre the two companies . Plus by making it so large you look like you could be an interested party.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 06:05 AM
FYI- only the Formula shows up on the comparison chart when I click on the link.

yeah I know....I screwed up. can you help me out here? Im computer challenged. I had put all three sticks on. ill try again in a moment

Automatix
02-15-2012, 06:07 AM
First of all the examples given are foam filled frames not Xenecore.

Secondly those pictures aren't mine, they're from this forum.

Additionally the patent on Xenecore construction mentions the frame production is supposed to be less labour intensive and thus should be cheaper not more expensive than other brands - vide the prices when the new Donnay started to offer their products.

To sum up if you don't have the knowledge you shouldn't quarrel with knowledgeable posters such as drakulie who REALLY knows his stuff. THE END.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 06:08 AM
I think I have all three lines up here?

http://www.racquetfinder.com/compare.php?pcode=DPRO1

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 06:31 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ nope it doesnt work....

crap

but its easy for me to copy by hand

DP Head size: 97
APD : 100
Formula: 100

dp length 27
apd 27
formula 27

weight:

dp: 11.5
apd: 11.3
formula 11.2

balance

dp: 4 hl
apd: 5 hl
formula: 3 hl

swingweight

dp 327
apd 324
formula 321

stiffness

dp 64
apd 67
formula 69

tip/shaft

dp 21.5/21.5
apd 23 / 26
formula 23.5 ,23

beam width

dp 21.5
apd: 0.0.....I dont get why they say this....but i assume cause its so thin?
apd 26.5

pattern

dp 16x19
apd 16x19
formula 16x19

power level

dp low-medium
apd low-medium
formula medium

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 06:36 AM
First of all the examples given are foam filled frames not Xenecore.

Secondly those pictures aren't mine, they're from this forum.

Additionally the patent on Xenecore construction mentions the frame production is supposed to be less labour intensive and thus should be cheaper not more expensive than other brands - vide the prices when the new Donnay started to offer their products.

To sum up if you don't have the knowledge you shouldn't quarrel with knowledgeable posters such as drakulie who REALLY knows his stuff. THE END.

1- how do you know? and I never said they were yours.

2- I asked if it was patented ..it was a question.

3- Im not quarreling. I simply posted the specs. Drak said there could be no two racquets farther apart. The fact is that a pro staff and a big bubba are vastly further apart. Its not a "quarel" but rather its just math.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 06:41 AM
hey now i see....hey you have to excuse me...I didnt even know I posted the vantage one.

Im not so great with computers. I just saw a Donnay was filled with something. I have no idea if its foam or xenocore.

SteveI
02-15-2012, 06:47 AM
1- how do you know? and I never said they were yours.

2- I asked if it was patented ..it was a question.

3- Im not quarreling. I simply posted the specs. Drak said there could be no two racquets farther apart. The fact is that a pro staff and a big bubba are vastly further apart. Its not a "quarel" but rather its just math.

Hey Volley King,

The specs and the power ratings are a great place to start when a comparison is needed. You only get so much from the frame's numbers. The only true way to tell is by playing them. I have ignored frames based on specs and really have been excited about new frames published specs. I have been wrong a number of times on both counts after playing with a frame. I try to use the comments here and read all the reviews..and read between the lines if possible. Sometimes the math lies or does not tell the entire story. Demo is the only way... Welcome to the fight..:-) Enjoy!!

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Hey Volley King,

The specs and the power ratings are a great place to start when a comparison is needed. You only get so much from the frame's numbers. The only true way to tell is by playing them. I have ignored frames based on specs and really have been excited about new frames published specs. I have been wrong a number of times on both counts after playing with a frame. I try to use the comments here and read all the reviews..and read between the lines if possible. Sometimes the math lies or does not tell the entire story. Demo is the only way... Welcome to the fight..:-) Enjoy!!

Actually I have played with all three extensively.

My impressions were that the APD and the Pro One played similar except that the Pro one was more control oriented and more manueverable than the APD.

Drak feels that there are no two racquets that could possibly be more disimilar and that the Formula was far closer to the APD.

My playtesting and personal opinion is quite different. I found the Formula to be more powerful than either of those sticks and by the way so does TW.

The Formula is just a bulky power stick that in my opinion plays completely different than the APD. I dont think anyone above a 3.0 should play with the formula.

on the other hand Asyou can see from TW and my personal experience the Pro one and the APD are similar in power but the difference is that the Pro one is thinner and the head is smaller. Its more manueverable and controllable and the power level is the same.

I tossed my APD out in favor of the Pro one and wont look back. But thats just my personal opinion. Drak has a different one and I respect his opinion. Who is to say who is wrong or right.

ButI dont agree that "there are no two racquets that can be further apart". Thats not an opinion but thats just math. The numbers dont lie...he is just mistaken in that assertion.

BobFL
02-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Hey thats cool !!! I didnt know that??? why dont they advertise that? I thought Donnay had a patent on it??

But can you male the pics a bit smaller because it would be easier to comapre the two companies . Plus by making it so large you look like you could be an interested party.

You are hilarious. All major brands and a few that don't exist anymore were using foam-injection before Bobby Choe heard about tennis as a whole.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 07:26 AM
You are hilarious. All major brands and a few that don't exist anymore were using foam-injection before Bobby Choe heard about tennis as a whole.

Hey Im just a regular guy and not a racquet guru....so please go easy on me. I find that really interesting.

Apparently Donnay has fooled everyone because they say all other racquets are hollow??

Is xenocore really just foam? Is it all BS??

They did come out with 15mm racuets that are as powerful as much thicker frames. The Pro one is as powerful as the APD but its thinner. So how did they do it?

Pro_Tour_630
02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
automatix, I need royalties for the wilson photo, please go to paypal and donate money, thanks :)

seriously, I think the APD, does not play like any frame out there, it is unique.

spec wise two frames can look "IDENTICAL" on paper but when it comes to different layup, handle, bumper, shape of throat, bridge etc.. it will make two IDENTICAL FRAMES play/feel differently. "World apart" if you are a gear junkie like most of us here in the racquet section and I would agree but to the rest of the tennis playing population. They are just different.

klementine79
02-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Who is this guy?

Gotta love the enthusiasm though.... reminds me of a chiuaua trying to mate with a great dane.... no matter how hard they try.. they never quite get there.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
automatix, I need royalties for the wilson photo, please go to paypal and donate money, thanks :)

seriously, I think the APD, does not play like any frame out there, it is unique.

spec wise two frames can look "IDENTICAL" on paper but when it comes to different layup, handle, bumper, shape of throat, bridge etc.. it will make two IDENTICAL FRAMES play/feel differently. "World apart" if you are a gear junkie like most of us here in the racquet section and I would agree but to the rest of the tennis playing population. They are just different.

I completely agree with you!!

The Formula is similar to the APD but they play nothing alike. The Formula is just so much more powerful and less maneuverable. I absolutely hate that racquet. Its a grandma stick.

The Pro One on the other hand also plays differently than the APD. But they are not the most similar racquets on the the planet as someone has said.

I find the Pro one to be more manueverable , more control oriented with no loss in power when compared to the APD. hence they do play differently except for the power which is equal.

I also agree that the APD plays different than any other racquet. I love that stick and again it is indeed unique.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:01 AM
**** most disimilar racquets on the planet

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Who is this guy?

Gotta love the enthusiasm though.... reminds me of a chiuaua trying to mate with a great dane.... no matter how hard they try.. they never quite get there.

Ok shall I give up?

probably a smart thing ...thats how Im still married.

In the words of a famous poet;

"To keep your marriage brimming with Love in the loving cup...

Whenever your wrong admit it but

whenever your right shut up"

Im going to shut up. Enjoy! :-)

klementine79
02-15-2012, 08:06 AM
^ No... keep going.

I admire your spunk.

Usually 'new users' type-up the proverbial 'Hi, I'm just getting back into tennis and..' intro-post.... or learn how the search function works.

You're full steam ahead even if the tracks end, you keep going... and there is something to be said for that. ;)

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:12 AM
^ No... keep going.

I admire your spunk.

Usually 'new users' type-up the proverbial 'Hi, I'm just getting back into tennis and..' intro-post.... or learn how the search function works.

You're full steam ahead even if the tracks end, you keep going... and there is something to be said for that. ;)

bad advice. Im done.

But I actually dont think even Drak disagreed with me about the Formula stick ....did he?

I think the formula sticl is meant for really low level players. Its more powerful than the APD but is far less maneuverable. Its a piece of crap in my opinion.

The pro one whether you believe its different than the APD or not is a gre4at stick. In fact i have not heard anything bad aboput it.

So in conclusion I think we all actually agree.

we can now move on and have a nice day . :-)

ollinger
02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
As Lou Grant said to Mary, "Mary, you've got spunk....I hate spunk!!!"

SteveI
02-15-2012, 08:14 AM
bad advice. Im done.

But I actually dont think even Drak disagreed with me about the Formula stick ....did he?

I think the formula sticl is meant for really low level players. Its more powerful than the APD but is far less maneuverable. Its a piece of crap in my opinion.

The pro one whether you believe its different than the APD or not is a gre4at stick. In fact i have not heard anything bad aboput it.

So in conclusion I think we all actually agree.

we can now move on and have a nice day . :-)

Nice work.. come back soon...:-)

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:16 AM
As Lou Grant said to Mary, "Mary, you've got spunk....I hate spunk!!!"

LOL....no mopre spunk here....Im done.

But to just stay on topic......

The formula is a piece of crap. Im saving you guys a lot of money trust me.
your welcome.

klementine79
02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
VOLLEY KING,
I think it best to post in the odds/ends, General Pro Disc, or Match results section for awhile.

Learn the timeless craft of how to debate with some TTr's and build up your post #'s.

Then come back to the racquet section and unleash your newly honed skills on the world of internet forum debate.

Seemed to work for Fedace.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
VOLLEY KING,
I think it best to post in the odds/ends, General Pro Disc, or Match results section for awhile.

Learn the timeless craft of how to debate with some TTr's and build up your post #'s.

Then come back to the racquet section and unleash your newly honed skills on the world of internet forum debate.

Seemed to work for Fedace.

The problem was that I really enjoyed it. Damned if I do and Damned if I dont.

come on wasnt it fun? In the end who the hell gives a sheet about who was right or wrong. I certainly dont.

SteveI
02-15-2012, 08:32 AM
The problem was that I really enjoyed it. Damned if I do and Damned if I dont.

come on wasnt it fun? In the end who the hell gives a sheet about who was right or wrong. I certainly dont.

Wow... you have a lot to learn about this site..."In the end who the hell gives a sheet about who was right or wrong. ".... Everyone here does.. that is what keeps these threads going.. Have a good one

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Wow... you have a lot to learn about this site..."In the end who the hell gives a sheet about who was right or wrong. ".... Everyone here does.. that is what keeps these threads going.. Have a good one

Oh ok.

Then I hereby apologize to Drak. I was completely wrong . I stand corrected.

klementine79
02-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Drak couldn't be with us tonight to accept your apology... but I accept it on his behalf. :smile:

SteveI
02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Oh ok.

Then I hereby apologize to Drak. I was completely wrong . I stand corrected.

No way.. the other rule is.. never apologize..:-). If you feel you are right..stick to your guns!! You played the sticks.. you have a right to post your results. Playtests are very subjective. Can't quit now..enjoy the fight!!

Boricua
02-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Who will have the last word? Lets make it a tie guys.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 08:55 AM
No way.. the other rule is.. never apologize..:-). If you feel you are right..stick to your guns!! You played the sticks.. you have a right to post your results. Playtests are very subjective. Can't quit now..enjoy the fight!!

Ok your hired. Your my lawyer.....go for it.

You can have 1/3 of my winnings . :-)

Boricua
02-15-2012, 08:57 AM

What makes it unique in your opinion?
I personally think its how it moves through the air, its hard to explain. Seems its made for aggresive, topspin strokes.

Boricua
02-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I personally think its how it moves through the air, its hard to explain. Seems its made for aggresive, topspin strokes.

I think the thread is now obsolete, nothing to do with Fomula.:)

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 09:07 AM

I agree with you. It slices through the air pretty quickly.

The APD is first of all unique because it's niche wider in some places and thinner in others. This is revolutionary and there is no other stick like it .

People always think that the APD is very wide . But it's not true completely.....it's actually so thin in some parts that TW has it listed as 0.0 on the beam. Does anyone know why?

I think it's because the beam varies so much that they can't give a measurement?

Also Babolats are just more powerful racquets for some reason? I think there is something to that "woofer " thing.

Boricua
02-15-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree with you. It slices through the air pretty quickly.

The APD is first of all unique because it's niche wider in some places and thinner in others. This is revolutionary and there is no other stick like it .

People always think that the APD is very wide . But it's not true completely.....it's actually so thin in some parts that TW has it listed as 0.0 on the beam. Does anyone know why?

I think it's because the beam varies so much that they can't give a measurement?

Also Babolats are just more powerful racquets for some reason? I think there is something to that "woofer " thing.

If you keep praising the APD youll switch again to it, lol.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 10:38 AM
If you keep praising the APD youll switch again to it, lol.

Haha....Ya never know?

but if you get the cash together I really think you will love the pro one. .....I not saying its similar to APD and I don't want to **** anyone off.

All I'm saying is that I loved the APD for many years and I liked the Pro one even better . The transition to it was seamless. They do in fact play differently and I agree with Drak.

Don't waste your time with the formula......it only looks good on paper. It's more powerful than the APD with less control. I have yet to even hear of anyone saying that they love the formula. Trust me stay away.

I hope that helps?

drakulie
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Who is this guy?

klementine, that is a funny post. LOL.

automatix, bobfl, stevei, and pro tour,,,,, ,thanks for trying to set the record straight. much appreciated.

Yes, I did. Go back and read.

Drak couldn't be with us tonight to accept your apology... but I accept it on his behalf. :smile:

Again, too funny!!!

Drak said there could be no two racquets farther apart.

Uhmmm, I never said this. You must have a serious problem with comprehension, or just like to make stuff up. Here is what I said:

Notice how I said, "THESE TWO". In other words, the APD and Pro One.

Like I said earlier in this thread, QUIT WHILE YOU ARE BEHIND.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Drak,

I already said you were right and I apologized.

What more do you want bro? You win ok?

drakulie
02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
^^Good. Let that be a lesson to you. Now go to the corner for a time out.

VOLLEY KING
02-15-2012, 07:39 PM
^^Good. Let that be a lesson to you. Now go to the corner for a time out.

Ok Drak .

KFwinds
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
No, no, no, VK - do NOT be intimidated by the TTW message board snobs. You have as much right to share your information and findings as anyone else. Bunch of a-holes... yeah, you know who you are.

VOLLEY KING
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I just checked out the pro one on TW

When you click on the "compare" TW gives a list of comparable racquets.

One of them being the Aero Storm GT.

I've never hit with the Aero Storm GT......anyone know if they do actually compare ? The numbers look similar .

By the way TW says the APD cortex & GT is similar as well but that's only the numbers. I'm not saying they are in fact similar . I realize that just because the numbers are similar doesn't mean they play similar

John Kawasaki
04-03-2012, 07:51 AM
+1 for the Formula 100. I have hit w/new Pure Drives, new Roddicks, x8-315 and find this Donnay more to my liking...swings easy to me @320, more controllable power......

JackB1
04-03-2012, 08:01 AM
+1 for the Formula 100. I have hit w/new Pure Drives, new Roddicks, x8-315 and find this Donnay more to my liking...swings easy to me @320, more controllable power......

Is it "bulky" feeling with that thick beam?

I would love to hear from more that have tried the Formulas 100.

a comparison to the Warrior 100 would also be great.

jackcrawford
04-03-2012, 08:16 AM

a comparison to the Warrior 100 would also be great.Hated the Formula 100, 2012 PD by a mile for me.

Dgdavid
04-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Hated the Formula 100, 2012 PD by a mile for me.

You can't hate it. Siobhan said it was good and she's got nice legs.

John Kawasaki
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I did not notice the 1.0mm extra beam thickness myself, and I'm use to playing mainly with Prestiges and Radicals. To be honest, I did not particularly care for the racket when I first demoed it....the second demo I hit with was with Donnay's hybrid: changed my whole perception of the stick. The swingweight compared to the Warrior is very similar...around 320.

suppawat
04-03-2012, 10:22 AM

The racquet looks pretty bulky, especially when comparing to X-Series or X-Dual frames. But it does feel light when playing. It's not too powerful like Pure Drive, but it definitely has much more solid/soft ball feel and gives a better sense of control.

I talked to one junior player who just changed from X-Black 99 to Formula 100 earlier this year. He said the Formula 100 helps his power game a lot. He's got a lot of free points from serves, beat tough players and finally won 2 out of 3 major junior tournaments in the first quarter. He didn't comment a lot on feel, but so far no arm or elbow issue.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pVFDSz0HCpZaOhrBAbf3VhwdLJHVmRLEBFb2e7bviuxKKL2Z KYBVSEo9ZVHFRa5sycn4fLzO6o_W2YFMnLHSD5Q/Dream_Donnay_X-Black_99_Formula_100.jpg

suppawat
04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I did not notice the 1.0mm extra beam thickness myself, and I'm use to playing mainly with Prestiges and Radicals. To be honest, I did not particularly care for the racket when I first demoed it....the second demo I hit with was with Donnay's hybrid: changed my whole perception of the stick. The swingweight compared to the Warrior is very similar...around 320.

The Formula 100 string pattern is also slighly more open than Pure Drive.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p8x7o-OAGHRWxR-WwMKF2rt9tfGjziSIBCX0ZtAXDoJhOBOBTTXOiAifVoClHBb5R ngNeEt2WiMkVULWH6VSAww/Donnay_X27_Babolat_PureDrive_Team_02.JPG

RollTrackTake
04-03-2012, 10:48 AM

I demoed the Formula 100 from TW when it was first released. The serving was a standout with the racquet. Everything else I couldn't quite get a good feel for. Groundstrokes were powerful but not well controlled, drop shots were ok, slices were decent. Always keeping in mind string setups are never personalized and 1 week is a short amount of time to really get into a groove with the racquet. I will say when an instructor let me use his Warrior 100 that racquet felt lighter through the air when swinging. Also the weight distribution is a little different. the Formula being slightly more heavier in the head than the Warrior if I recall correctly. I would love to have a month with both racquets to really do a solid comparison. And throw the PD 2012 in there for a tweener battle royale!

JackB1
04-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I demoed the Formula 100 from TW when it was first released. The serving was a standout with the racquet. Everything else I couldn't quite get a good feel for. Groundstrokes were powerful but not well controlled, drop shots were ok, slices were decent. Always keeping in mind string setups are never personalized and 1 week is a short amount of time to really get into a groove with the racquet. I will say when an instructor let me use his Warrior 100 that racquet felt lighter through the air when swinging. Also the weight distribution is a little different. the Formula being slightly more heavier in the head than the Warrior if I recall correctly. I would love to have a month with both racquets to really do a solid comparison. And throw the PD 2012 in there for a tweener battle royale!

I agree! I tried the PD 2012 today and it was OK, but I preferred the Warrior.
The PD felt more head heavy and a little bulky on slice and touch shots.

Power Player
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
The PD is a little more head heavy I would imagine. I prefer that on lighter sticks. It makes more sense to me to have a balance 4 pts HL or less on a light racquet.

I dont really feel that it is bulky on touch shots, and I think it excels on slice, but I have been using it for 2 months now and also have no point of reference since I have not used a Warrior.

scotus
04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Wow, I had no idea the Donnay plant/troll finally got banned, although I am afraid the ban will be lifted in mere 2 weeks.

At any rate, kudos to TW mods for doing what so many of us here have been wishing for.

Dgdavid
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
What about the Volkl Organix V1? Seems to be a competitor to Formula 100, Warrior and PD.

Power Player
04-03-2012, 01:09 PM
What about it? It is going to be rather similar to what you have.

Look if you dont like your stick, get another one..no one should judge that. But to look at sticks that are similar to yours is a sign you want another racquet. I could see saying "hey, maybe I play better with a 18x20, thin beam 95", but you are looking at racquets that all fit the same category..why?

jackcrawford
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
What about the Volkl Organix V1? Seems to be a competitor to Formula 100, Warrior and PD.Nice frame, a 1/2 oz. lighter, though. Swings faster than the above three. Siobhan likes it, too:)

ArliHawk
04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
The V1 Organix MP definitely has me interested. Sounds like it's plenty stable and comfortable despite its light weight.

Everybody seemed to love it and the Formula.

Dgdavid
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
What about it? It is going to be rather similar to what you have.

Look if you dont like your stick, get another one..no one should judge that. But to look at sticks that are similar to yours is a sign you want another racquet. I could see saying "hey, maybe I play better with a 18x20, thin beam 95", but you are looking at racquets that all fit the same category..why?

Are you referring to my question PP? If so, the "what about it" is me asking what people think about it. This thread seems to be people asking about opinions on this class of racket and comparing it to the F100 unless I am misreading it. Jack asked about how it is versus the Warrior, others are discussing it vs APD, PD and even Pro One. My questions seems to fit the thread no?

Power Player
04-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I just think you are going to torture yourself since new sticks that fit this spec area will come out all the time.

Dgdavid
04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
The V1 Organix MP definitely has me interested. Sounds like it's plenty stable and comfortable despite its light weight.

Everybody seemed to love it and the Formula.

seems to be some negativity about Formula 100 earlier in this thread.

Dgdavid
04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I just think you are going to torture yourself since new sticks that fit this spec area will come out all the time.

I understand the sentiment but honestly, I find it very enjoyable to know about the products whether I buy them or not and pretty much read all of the threads whether they are my spec/preference or not. It is very interesting especially peoples opinions on it. I would never have even tried the Warrior if it wasn't for reading Jack's thread and it is still my match racket.

JGads
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Wow, I had no idea the Donnay plant/troll finally got banned, although I am afraid the ban will be lifted in mere 2 weeks.

At any rate, kudos to TW mods for doing what so many of us here have been wishing for.

Thank goodness. Though he'll soon return in some other evil, annoying form, I'm sure. Only a matter of time.

Shangri La
04-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Not a bad option if you're into PD type of sticks. Good comfort and ball feedback in PD standards. But I did feel the 69RA and a bit metallic feeling.

JackB1
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
The PD is a little more head heavy I would imagine. I prefer that on lighter sticks. It makes more sense to me to have a balance 4 pts HL or less on a light racquet.

I dont really feel that it is bulky on touch shots, and I think it excels on slice, but I have been using it for 2 months now and also have no point of reference since I have not used a Warrior.

The PD is 3 and the Warrior is 4, but for some reason the PD "feels" a lot more head heavy to me. I'm sure I would get used to it and I agree a little weight in the head is good for 11 oz sticks. But I have to admit the 72 RA rating scares me a little. The Warrior seems like a PD with comfort. Hard to give that up.

Xonemains
04-04-2012, 07:19 AM
hey JackB1 and Power Player,

any chance of you guys grabbing hold of some demos of these formula 100 and do a review.

JackB1 can do warrior vs Donnay Formula
Power Player can do PD vs Donnay Formula

I am sure there are plenty of people out there who would read this!!

C'mon, do it guys!!

Power Player
04-04-2012, 07:27 AM
nah..i don't feel like demoing man..it will cost me $30 to do it from my shop that has them..not really worth it.

Dgdavid
04-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Powerplayer, what is a Black Drive? A 2012 Pure Drive?

Power Player
04-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Correct sir.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Correct sir.

isn't it more like dark blue?

Dgdavid
04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Hmmm, Dark Blue Drive doesn't sound as good.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
ok I got a Formula 100 on the way. I won $75 in a March Madness pool and I had a $20 off coupon, so its like I'm getting it for $105 :-)

I have to see if this thing is for real and there are no demos around.

Power Player
04-04-2012, 02:27 PM
isn't it more like dark blue?

No it is a black racquet. There is zero doubt about that.

Wow jack..I applaud your ability to justify buying new sticks just for a demo..lol. After release plus shipping, it is a loss of $30 almost every time.

But this will be a nice read for the rest of us when u do a review.

JGads
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
ok I got a Formula 100 on the way. I won $75 in a March Madness pool and I had a $20 off coupon, so its like I'm getting it for $105 :-)

New Avatar Watch to begin shortly.

(I play around with frames more than just about anyone; know myself too well to ever commit to the mighty avatar frame proclamation.)

Power Player
04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Vegas has a bet on a switch happening at 60% just based on subliminal influence from unfavorable warrior review compared to donnay.

If jack does switch, I think it could be this stick even though money leans towards the volkl about to come out. Severe distate for the one called TM could keep him from feeling 100% ok about the brown bear about to be released to the wild in a matter of days.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 03:39 PM
No it is a black racquet. There is zero doubt about that.

Wow jack..I applaud your ability to justify buying new sticks just for a demo..lol. After release plus shipping, it is a loss of $30 almost every time.

But this will be a nice read for the rest of us when u do a review.

you don't think I will be able to get at least $125 for a almost new F100?

if its everything that the TW says it is, then it will stay in the bag.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Vegas has a bet on a switch happening at 60% just based on subliminal influence from unfavorable warrior review compared to donnay.

If jack does switch, I think it could be this stick even though money leans towards the volkl about to come out. Severe distate for the one called TM could keep him from feeling 100% ok about the brown bear about to be released to the wild in a matter of days.

Nah...I'm done with Volkl and Head racquets. I just can't get comfortable with those rectangular grips. There are just too many other great choices out there for me.

Power Player
04-04-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm calling it the brown bear racquet..crazy pj.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm calling it the brown bear racquet..crazy pj.

Which one are you referring to? The Organix V1?

Power Player
04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah it has a crazy brown pj.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah it has a crazy brown pj.

You say crazy, I say butt-ugly :-)

Its been out for a while. Its waaaaaay too light and I never gelled with any of the V1's. Better for guys with traditional flatter strokes that prefer 10.5 oz sticks. Not for me.

ArliHawk
04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
That's the only drawback with the Organix V1-the butt uglyaint job. Maybe it's better in person?

Xonemains
04-05-2012, 12:07 AM

ALRIGHT JackB1, thanks for taking one for the team.

Alot of people will be waiting for your thoughts and if you do decide to switch,

i guess alot of other people will jump into the water as well just for the sake of trying it.

Amp1
04-06-2012, 02:50 PM
So I got my hands on a formula 100 from the local dealer and took it for a play test today.

I did a playtest with rebel 98, warrior, radical mp, prestige mp last month and picked up rebel 98, which is my playing racket right now.

F100 is an interesting racket specially for people in the 3.5-4.5 range. It was very easy to play with. The shot that really improved for me was my one handed backhand. Was also hitting slices really well, and was easily able to fetch bouncy balls and get them in with good depth. the racket also has good control. Only hit for an hour, so not ready to pass a verdict, but very likable racket so far. I am more of a driver, but my partner who is a heavy topsin player really liked it.

Comparing it with Warrior is an interesting comparison. I had really liked warrior when play testing, but decided on Rebel 98 because I felt I was holding back with warrior. They seem very similar, but formula 100 has a relatively narrower beam that helped with the slice. I also liked it's looks better. Will be playing a set with it tomorrow so will report back. They both swing and feel very similar

JackB1
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I also got my F100 today and plan on playing with it tomorrow. It looks almost identical to the Warrior with a different paint job. Beam looks slightly thicker. Weight was an even 325 grams with overgrip.
Feels slightly lighter dry swinging than the Warrior.

Amp1, I also am testing the Rebel 98 along with the F100. The Rebel98 is a very nice racquet. It is deadly accurate and hits flatter easier than the Warrior, probably due to a tighter drill pattern in the center. The sweetspot is noticeably smaller than the Warrior, but feels awesome when you nail a shot perfectly. I agree it has more control than the Warrior meaning you can swing away a little more. Its also softer feeling with lots of arm friendly flex. The Rebel 98 feels slightly "too light" to me, but is great for quick volleys. I may try adding some weight at some point. More to come...

RollTrackTake
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
you don't think I will be able to get at least $125 for a almost new F100?

if its everything that the TW says it is, then it will stay in the bag.

Jack if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands;) I played with the F100 again today and still like it a lot. On days when I'm not dialed in (tired) it's very easy to generate power off the ground and on serve. I still don't think it offers a whole lot more or less than the Wilson BLX Pro Open. I still need to give it some more playing time to fully evaluate the racquet. Looking forward to others thoughts, opinions and string setups.

JackB1
04-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Jack if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands;) I played with the F100 again today and still like it a lot. On days when I'm not dialed in (tired) it's very easy to generate power off the ground and on serve. I still don't think it offers a whole lot more or less than the Wilson BLX Pro Open. I still need to give it some more playing time to fully evaluate the racquet. Looking forward to others thoughts, opinions and string setups.

Ok I'll keep u in mind. Gonna hit with it today :)

Power Player
04-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Awesome jack..enjoy it.

I think the donnay could be a great stick if you want a little more boom and control coming from the prince, but lets see what you think.

Dgdavid
04-07-2012, 09:28 AM
....a little more boom and control coming from the prince

That is what I am looking for! Have a good hit Jack.

RollTrackTake
04-07-2012, 10:37 AM
It's a great racquet and because I can play at 80% and still win matches at 4.0, I like the F100. PowerPlayer has inspired me to finally settle down with 1 racquet and refine my game. I still have yet to hit the PD 2012. After I demo that I'm picking one stick and that's it for the foreseeable future

Dgdavid
04-07-2012, 10:43 AM
It's a great racquet and because I can play at 80% and still win matches at 4.0, I like the F100. PowerPlayer has inspired me to finally settle down with 1 racquet and refine my game. I still have yet to hit the PD 2012. After I demo that I'm picking one stick and that's it for the foreseeable future

We'll all settle down with one stick in the next 3-4 weeks and then...Power Player will switch. I can see it now!

Power Player
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Wow..awesome man..glad I could help.

Yah s I could pull the ultimate troll and switch..haha..but nah, I have demoed about everything and I always come back to Babs.

JackB1
04-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Awesome jack..enjoy it.

I think the donnay could be a great stick if you want a little more boom and control coming from the prince, but lets see what you think.

The Donnay actually has about the same amount of power as the Warrior and maybe even a little less.

JackB1
04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
I tried the Formula 100 today and liked the Warrior much better. I will post my review shortly.

Amp1
04-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Played for a couple of hours more and liked it enough to order one. For me it is between the warrior and the exo3 rebel. Controllable power, easier swing and good control. Found it really easy to keep balls in play.

My arm was a bit sore today. The demo was strung with poly and I was the first to hit it with it, so that may have something to do with it. Was comfortable on the court.

Jack, curious to hear your comments on it.

JackB1
04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
OK, here are my thoughts on the Formula 100....

The headshape and specs are almost identical to my Warrior 100.
I really like the F100s cosmetics and the racquet looks great in person. At first hit, I didn't like it much. Felt a little pingy and I felt some vibration in the frame's hoop. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it definitely wasn't "love at first hit". It could be the strings...I have Babolat RPM Blast in the mains and NRG in the crosses at 53/56. Power was good, but not as much as my Warrior. It felt a little heavier and more solid than the Warrior, but wasn't as nice feeling on hits outside of center. Reminded me very much of the Volkl Organix 8-300. Didn't like the sound on impact....wasn't a satisfying sound to me...kind of tinny sounding. Groundstrokes were pretty nice. Lots of topspin to be had with this frame. I wouldn't recommend it too flatter hitters though. It really seems to suit loopy topspin strokes best. Serves were OK, but not as booming as my Warrior.
This racquet also reminds me of a Pure Drive. Beam looks thicker than the Warrior. Definitely a baseline basher type of stick. After reading all the glowing reviews the TW crew gave it, I was expecting more. It wasn't bad...just didn't really wow me in any way but I couldn't wait to go back to my Warrior. I could see how some would like it, but it definitely wasn't a racquet that I had any desire to further investigate. It's already been sold. I may have warmed up to it, but 99% of the time, my first instincts are usually correct. I need to have a certain level of satisfaction after my initial hit with a new stick in order to keep pursuing it, and that just wasn't there with the F100. The specs, swingweight and power were all in my wheelhouse, but nothing else really clicked for me. I may have been too quick in moving on, but I am so satisfied with the Warrior right now, there was no hard feelings at all. Interesting playtest and it just shows me how individual racquet preferences are. The TW testers were lukewarm on the Warrior, which I loved and they were gushing over the Formula 100, which I didn't really care for.

RollTrackTake
04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Different strokes for different folks......literally. If you blacked out the F100, Pro Open & BB DC Pro I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in playability. I do think the Babs (PD & APD) are distinct. I still haven't gotten my hands on a Warrior long enough to feel it out

JackB1
04-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Different strokes for different folks......literally. If you blacked out the F100, Pro Open & BB DC Pro I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in playability. I do think the Babs (PD & APD) are distinct. I still haven't gotten my hands on a Warrior long enough to feel it out

I agree the F100, Pro Open & DCP are VERY similar. But personally, I feel the Warrior is superior to those 3.

pug
04-08-2012, 07:25 PM
OK, here are my thoughts on the Formula 100....

The headshape and specs are almost identical to my Warrior 100.
I really like the F100s cosmetics and the racquet looks great in person. At first hit, I didn't like it much. Felt a little pingy and I felt some vibration in the frame's hoop. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it definitely wasn't "love at first hit". It could be the strings...I have Babolat RPM Blast in the mains and NRG in the crosses at 53/56. Power was good, but not as much as my Warrior. It felt a little heavier and more solid than the Warrior, but wasn't as nice feeling on hits outside of center. Reminded me very much of the Volkl Organix 8-300. Didn't like the sound on impact....wasn't a satisfying sound to me...kind of tinny sounding. Groundstrokes were pretty nice. Lots of topspin to be had with this frame. I wouldn't recommend it too flatter hitters though. It really seems to suit loopy topspin strokes best. Serves were OK, but not as booming as my Warrior.
This racquet also reminds me of a Pure Drive. Beam looks thicker than the Warrior. Definitely a baseline basher type of stick. After reading all the glowing reviews the TW crew gave it, I was expecting more. It wasn't bad...just didn't really wow me in any way but I couldn't wait to go back to my Warrior. I could see how some would like it, but it definitely wasn't a racquet that I had any desire to further investigate. It's already been sold. I may have warmed up to it, but 99% of the time, my first instincts are usually correct. I need to have a certain level of satisfaction after my initial hit with a new stick in order to keep pursuing it, and that just wasn't there with the F100. The specs, swingweight and power were all in my wheelhouse, but nothing else really clicked for me. I may have been too quick in moving on, but I am so satisfied with the Warrior right now, there was no hard feelings at all. Interesting playtest and it just shows me how individual racquet preferences are. The TW testers were lukewarm on the Warrior, which I loved and they were gushing over the Formula 100, which I didn't really care for.

Thank you for the the review, I have been interested in trying this stick, so it is great info.

Seems like you really click with the Warrior, have you ever hit with the original O3 white? I would be interested how the Warrior is in comparison to that classic.

RollTrackTake
04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Anyone use lead tape on the Formula 100 yet? I've used it in my last few doubles matches and feel it could use some lead to aid in plow through. I like the racquet stock, I want to love it. I'm also going to be tinkering with string setups. Going to try a poly at low tension. Then a hybrid. Thinking Lux Savage & Forten Sweet 16.

vinnieSE
04-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Doesn´t the Formula 100 support the custom kit? It would allow you to quite easily slide in weights at 3g each in the headguard. Does TW carry the kits?

El Diablo
04-15-2012, 04:28 AM
^^ Formula 100 can use the interchangeable buttcaps (as can all Donnay) and the slide weights at 3:00 and 9:00. Donnay said they might in the future produce a headguard that will accept the weights at 12:00.

tlimster
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Anyone else try this racket lately? Just went out and hit with it this afternoon and it is growing on me.

RollTrackTake
05-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Anyone else try this racket lately? Just went out and hit with it this afternoon and it is growing on me.

I haven't found a rhythm with this racquet still. I'm holding on to one because I like the power & comfort combo. I just can't get the feel, control & power where I need them to be. It's all just off for me. I haven't tried a new string setup & lately it hasn't gotten used much. There is still a chance I'll use it for doubles but it has to beat out the Pro Open & now I'm testing the Warrior for the same purpose. If anyone has any string tension combos they like please share. I love B5E in my Pro Open. That's what I'll probably go with next.

t-swede
05-09-2012, 02:09 AM
how much would the formula weigh in at with the 10g buttcap and both 3g slides ?

cheers the swede

klementine79
05-31-2012, 07:35 AM

Yeah, just saw that. Miss the enthusiasm and recklessness, maybe not ;) .

We'll all settle down with one stick in the next 3-4 weeks and then...Power Player will switch. I can see it now!

Woah... good call. We're about to see this prognostication come to fruition.

--------------------------------------------------

Anybody settle with the Formula100? Likes-dislikes/comments after 2-3 months of usage?

Really interested, especially if it's lower on the power-tweener spectrum and comfortable.

Automatix
05-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Yeah, just saw that. Miss the enthusiasm and recklessness, maybe not ;) . All I can say is... AT LAST!

RollTrackTake
05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah, just saw that. Miss the enthusiasm and recklessness, maybe not ;) .

Woah... good call. We're about to see this prognostication come to fruition.

--------------------------------------------------

Anybody settle with the Formula100? Likes-dislikes/comments after 2-3 months of usage?

Really interested, especially if it's lower on the power-tweener spectrum and comfortable.

I've still got an F100 in the bag and pull it out every other week when I play a casual pick up match. Still have MSV Focus Hex in at what was 50lbs. I really need to try some B5E or this Iontec stuff and reevaluate the racquet. I still hold out hope because it's so comfortable and I like the aesthetic of it. Power wise I don't think it's on the low side of the tweener section. I'd put it up there with the Warrior & Pro Open.
Dislikes: iffy on control, lack of feel and other common tweener gripes (floating slices, plow through= meh, etc...)

JackB1
05-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I've still got an F100 in the bag and pull it out every other week when I play a casual pick up match. Still have MSV Focus Hex in at what was 50lbs. I really need to try some B5E or this Iontec stuff and reevaluate the racquet. I still hold out hope because it's so comfortable and I like the aesthetic of it. Power wise I don't think it's on the low side of the tweener section. I'd put it up there with the Warrior & Pro Open.
Dislikes: iffy on control, lack of feel and other common tweener gripes (floating slices, plow through= meh, etc...)

My F100 had a bit of a buzzy/twangy feel on impact to it. Do you notice this as well?

jackcrawford
06-01-2012, 07:20 AM
My F100 had a bit of a buzzy/twangy feel on impact to it. Do you notice this as well?Yes, it felt like an aluminum racquet to me.

RollTrackTake
06-02-2012, 05:30 AM
My F100 had a bit of a buzzy/twangy feel on impact to it. Do you notice this as well?

On serve if I miss & hit in the upper part of the hoop I get that feeling. Other than that it feels solid. But I just don't get a precise feel of where the balls going with the F100. Most likely it's the strings or just me

JackB1
06-02-2012, 05:40 AM
On serve if I miss & hit in the upper part of the hoop I get that feeling. Other than that it feels solid. But I just don't get a precise feel of where the balls going with the F100. Most likely it's the strings or just me

Isn't it weird how all the TW testers gave it such glowing reviews and you can't find a half dozen guys here that like it?. Everyone seems to have the same "just OK" opinion of it.

Dgdavid
06-02-2012, 05:52 AM
Isn't it weird how all the TW testers gave it such glowing reviews and you can't find a half dozen guys here that like it?. Everyone seems to have the same "just OK" opinion of it.

Jack, are you still upset about the Warrior 100 review by any chance ;-)

JackB1
06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Jack, are you still upset about the Warrior 100 review by any chance ;-)

Not at all :-)

The Warrior review was reasonable, but people forget its just 4 opinions.
I may or may not have the same tastes as them.

RollTrackTake
06-02-2012, 06:23 PM

yeah. curious. I think it has the characteristics of being a very good fit for me. I just didn't love it at first hit. I should ask TW what string setups they used. I don't like racquets that are 'string sensitive' but I do want to give it a fair shot. Full bed of B5E is probably the next (and maybe last) setup I try in the formula 100.

Xonemains
06-02-2012, 06:38 PM
This is the only racquet that i havent tried and want to badly.

its got mixed reviews form everybody. you dont know if its good or bad.

im gonna get a bunch of my 5.0's buddys, and 1 teaching pro together one day and compare it to the pure drive. then the debate will be over.

ollinger
06-02-2012, 06:43 PM
I was in NYC all day today and stopped in at P*****n Sporting Goods; they carry Donnay and the sales guy told me the Formula 100s are flying off the shelves, with good feedback from customers.

JackB1
06-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I was in NYC all day today and stopped in at P*****n Sporting Goods; they carry Donnay and the sales guy told me the Formula 100s are flying off the shelves, with good feedback from customers.

why would you trust a "sporting goods store sales guy"?

ollinger
06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Ummm, because I'd already told him I was already using a different Donnay and was not there to buy a racquet. This was a college kid, not much guile.

JackB1
06-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Ummm, because I'd already told him I was already using a different Donnay and was not there to buy a racquet. This was a college kid, not much guile.

That's cool, but like they say "consider the source".

I have a hard time believing ANY Donnay's "flying off the shelves", unless they were heavily discounted. Babolats, Wilson's and Heads probably account for 90% of all racquet sales at almost every racquet store in the country.

ollinger
06-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Shall I consider the source right now? A guy who swears by a different racquet every other week? The salesguy was a kid who knew I was happy with what I had, didn't really have a reason to lie to me.

JackB1
06-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Shall I consider the source right now? A guy who swears by a different racquet every other week? The salesguy was a kid who knew I was happy with what I had, didn't really have a reason to lie to me.

Hey I'm not personally recommending anything here, so no need to get all defensive about it. I just have a hard time believing his comment based on the relative obscurity of Donnay and the lack of any other proof of this everywhere else I look. I like Donnay and think they make a high quality product and think they are being smart with their new direction and getting away from the ultra thin beams an all.

I'm not going to argue with you about the credibility of this guys comment because I don't know him and don't know what he's basing his comment on?
Could be true...could be false. I hope it's true because Donnay deserves more recognition. I wish they would distribute more to the big tennis stores. I live in a pretty big city (Atlanta) and had to drive an hour to pick up a Formula 100.

li0scc0
06-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Formula 100 is great...but if you want a good deal check out the X27 Dual. It is the exact same racquet, but a different paintjob. sometimes you can find them used for less than half the price of a used Formula.
Both are tough to find used for sure.

Miami Tiburon
06-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Both the Donnay Formula and the Pro One have been selling very well . Donnay has had a hard time keeping them in stock just recently have they been able to catch up to the demand . Both very nice frames and with positive reviews on TW .

tlimster
06-03-2012, 08:57 PM
I've switched to this racket after a professional racket fitting/hitting session, against my preferences because I am not a fan of the cosmetics. I have been using the Volkl Powerbridge 10 Mid, and before that the Babolat Pure Storm Tour.

I cannot, however, argue with the results. More power and action on serve so far, better power on my forehand, and much better volleys. I'm still dialing in my backhand, and the slice is not as good. But I can see my opponents struggling a bit more in rallies. I don't have any problems hitting the ball flat with this stick. With string, overgrip and dampener and weighted to match, it comes out to 11.7/6pts HL. I think the feel is different than other rackets because of the dual core -- it gives the racket a kind of "dead" feel. I've been fiddling with polys at different tensions and so far no arm pain whatsoever, which was not the case with the Babolat, which is why I switched to the Volkl originally. The Volkl didn't have any arm pain either, and it feels quite different because of the flex, is better on low balls. Also, when I crank a forehand it gives a crazy spin, but it's less powerful on rally balls. I've decided to get rid of all of them and just commit to the Donnay and see where it takes me. The close second runner up was the APDGT. The Pure Drive GT was overall more powerful and I couldn't control it as well.

Xonemains
06-04-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm a big fan of donnay so far, love the solid feel of the P1.

just decided to order the Formula 100 to see what the fuss is about, there's bloody none in stock.

Donnay really got to get their act together man.

ductrung3993
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
^ Go back here after you hit with it mate :)

And oh boy I was researching about this F100 and that VOLLEY KING thing almost killed me :shock:

JackB1
06-14-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm a big fan of donnay so far, love the solid feel of the P1.

just decided to order the Formula 100 to see what the fuss is about, there's bloody none in stock.

Donnay really got to get their act together man.

FWIW I much preferred the Pro 1 to the P100. The P100 felt a bit
"twangy" to me.

Xonemains
06-14-2012, 05:38 PM
FWIW I much preferred the Pro 1 to the P100. The P100 felt a bit
"twangy" to me.

Hey Jack,

did you try adding lead to it? and get it to the same specs as the P1?

or 6/7 different string combos?

let me know, if you did, i wont bother. cheers

pug
06-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Formula 100 is the real deal, I have switched to it after many, many demos.

JackB1
06-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey Jack,

did you try adding lead to it? and get it to the same specs as the P1?

or 6/7 different string combos?

let me know, if you did, i wont bother. cheers

No I just tried one setup....RPM mains and multi crosses.
It wasn't horrible...just preferred a few other racquets to it.
The Pro 1 just feels so much more solid. The F1 felt like
a Pure Drive knockoff. JMO.

tlimster
06-20-2012, 01:59 PM
The Formula 100 is definitely modeled after the Pure Drive in that it's a tweener with similar specs, but it has less power, is slightly more consistent, and has a muted feel. The biggest plus -- I've been using it for a month now and no elbow, shoulder or wrist problems. RPM M/X-1 C 54/56. That said, every now and then I'll hit a ball late and it will fly out. That's a problem generally with tweeners and not with lower powered rackets like the PB10 or Prestige.

scotus
06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
The Formula 100 is definitely modeled after the Pure Drive in that it's a tweener with similar specs, but it has less power, is slightly more consistent, and has a muted feel. The biggest plus -- I've been using it for a month now and no elbow, shoulder or wrist problems. RPM M/X-1 C 54/56. That said, every now and then I'll hit a ball late and it will fly out. That's a problem generally with tweeners and not with lower powered rackets like the PB10 or Prestige.

Are you comparing Formula 100 to the 2012 model of Pure Drive or one of its predecessors?

Many TT posters find the 2012 PD vastly more comfortable than than its predecessors.

RollTrackTake
06-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Are you comparing Formula 100 to the 2012 model of Pure Drive or one of its predecessors?

Many TT posters find the 2012 PD vastly more comfortable than than its predecessors.

I'll agree then 2012 PD is a lot more comfortable than the GT version. That being said the Formula 100 is, IMO, more comfortable than the 2012 PD. The F100 can make poly playable for those (myself) with sensitive elbows. Now i've yet to try the extreme low tension poly jobs so that make make poly on any racquet very elbow friendly.

tlimster
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM

I had a Pure Drive 2012 and traded it for a Formula 100. I also have a pro stock Roddick GT+ that I hit with on occasion. The PD 2012 is more comfortable than the Roddick GT+, but the Formula 100 is the most comfortable. It is muted and you have to get used to the feel. I would also say the PD has slightly more power.

The PD 2012 is definitely a great racket, and I never tried it with my current string setup. The issue for me with that racket was that I would occasionally get flyers. Plus, after an hour of hitting I would feel it in my wrist and elbow.

That said, the paint job on the PD blows the Formula 100 away. My F100s are already losing paint on the sides.

scotus
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Thank you, RollTrackTake & tlimster.

RollTrackTake
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
I had a Pure Drive 2012 and traded it for a Formula 100. I also have a pro stock Roddick GT+ that I hit with on occasion. The PD 2012 is more comfortable than the Roddick GT+, but the Formula 100 is the most comfortable. It is muted and you have to get used to the feel. I would also say the PD has slightly more power.

The PD 2012 is definitely a great racket, and I never tried it with my current string setup. The issue for me with that racket was that I would occasionally get flyers. Plus, after an hour of hitting I would feel it in my wrist and elbow.

That said, the paint job on the PD blows the Formula 100 away. My F100s are already losing paint on the sides.

donnay paint is bad. specs can also vary quite a bit. I should have bought matching spec'd racquets but could only buy 1 at a time over the last 9 months.

Flash
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I have been reading this forum for some years every now and then, but not posting much. Now I thought I should.

I have been demoing and switching racquets for quite some time, originally starting due to shoulder and arm problems. I liked the Wilson K-Factor 95 16x18 a lot, but it was a bit heavy on longer clay matches. After that I have experienced Blades, PD, being way too stiff for my arm.

Recently I have demoed around 10 - 15 different setups, Head Radical YT Pro, IG MP, Prestige IG S and MP, four Princes, Prostaff 6.1 BLX's etc. All were either too stiff, powerful or difficult/not powerful enough. I have never considered buying a racuqet without demoing.

Today I received and played one hour with the Donnay Formula 100, which I bought from TW based on the discussions on this forum, and the TW reviews. So, essentially bought it based on social media feedback, a first ever for me. How was it?

One word, Great, at least so far. Today played inside, tomorrow I will have a go at clay. It felt solid, and first time I got the feel of stability (kind of "thud" feeling) in the racquet during my hits, which I remember from the K95. I had good power on my serves and groundstrokes, but at no time did the racquet feel overly powerful. Pretty good control as well. Return of serve was good, as was blocking back hard hit serves or groundies. Touch was there as well, evidenced by some nice drop shots on returns and a half-volley pick up at net.

Playing indoors with new balls, against a hard hitting player is probably a good test for arm problems as well. Nothing to report there, no irritation in the forearm, no ache or stiffness in the shoulder, feels as this is a comfortable and arm-friendly racquet while being very stable and firm in its playing response.

Whether this ill be my playing racquet for the coming times, I don't yet know. The main reason for that is that I will also get to test the Donnay Pro One :)

So far, this is the racquet, and tomorrow it will get tested on clay.

Xonemains
09-30-2012, 04:59 PM
I just wanted to bump this thread, I have spent alot of time with this racquet lately. I have tested different set up, strings, balances and all. (I have no paint lettering left on the inside from 3 to 9 o'clock). That's how much I played around with it. All I can say for now is in the thick beam and 100" racquet department. This Formula is for sure first in its class.

I'll write up a full blown review when I have time. Sure it's not the most solid racquet out there, it never will be even with heaps of lead, but for its intended purposes, it gets the job done with no arm pain at the end.

Stay tuned! (I have to hit the courts now).:)

JackB1
10-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I just wanted to bump this thread, I have spent alot of time with this racquet lately. I have tested different set up, strings, balances and all. (I have no paint lettering left on the inside from 3 to 9 o'clock). That's how much I played around with it. All I can say for now is in the thick beam and 100" racquet department. This Formula is for sure first in its class.

I'll write up a full blown review when I have time. Sure it's not the most solid racquet out there, it never will be even with heaps of lead, but for its intended purposes, it gets the job done with no arm pain at the end.

Stay tuned! (I have to hit the courts now).:)

I agree with everything you have said about this wonderful frame. It is plenty solid for me...moreso than the stock PD12. It has been playing well for me with poly/multi or poly/syngut at 47/50.

Xonemains
10-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I agree with everything you have said about this wonderful frame. It is plenty solid for me...moreso than the stock PD12. It has been playing well for me with poly/multi or poly/syngut at 47/50.

How's your new set up with these polys? How does it compare to your old full bed excel set up? Just curious :) more spin? My current set up is 3g at 12 o,clock. The rest of the weight in in the handle up to 338g atm. Still feels extremely fast. I actually do win more with this stick than my P1's.

Can't be bothered writing that review now, Donnay doesn't pay me so who gives, lol. All I can say is people looking for a stick in this class that has better feel and comfort, demo this. And Pro kennel users with broken ams, give this a try also.

JackB1
10-03-2012, 05:56 PM
How's your new set up with these polys? How does it compare to your old full bed excel set up? Just curious :) more spin? My current set up is 3g at 12 o,clock. The rest of the weight in in the handle up to 338g atm. Still feels extremely fast. I actually do win more with this stick than my P1's.

Can't be bothered writing that review now, Donnay doesn't pay me so who gives, lol. All I can say is people looking for a stick in this class that has better feel and comfort, demo this. And Pro kennel users with broken ams, give this a try also.

The full excel is good, but it made the stick feel a little too muted. I think Donnay's recommendation of a copoly/syngut is the way to go.

Nostradamus
10-03-2012, 06:23 PM
does this racket serve as well as PD 2012 ?

RollTrackTake
10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
does this racket serve as well as PD 2012 ?

I didn't think it served as well as the PD 2012. just one man's opinion. why? could have been the strings. F100 with full Co-Focus vs PD2012 w/ RPM blast. more so I thought it was because the F100 had a higher swing weight. I wasn't able to snap my wrist as forcefully as with the PD2012 when using the same swing speed & effort.

Xonemains
10-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Pure drive serves better in stock form. It also serves better because it has slightly more power:)

Nostradamus
10-04-2012, 04:21 AM
I didn't think it served as well as the PD 2012. just one man's opinion. why? could have been the strings. F100 with full Co-Focus vs PD2012 w/ RPM blast. more so I thought it was because the F100 had a higher swing weight. I wasn't able to snap my wrist as forcefully as with the PD2012 when using the same swing speed & effort.

thank you for such a informative opinion.

Nostradamus
10-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Pure drive serves better in stock form. It also serves better because it has slightly more power:)

is it cause the stiffness index ? PD is alot stiffer i think

Xonemains
10-04-2012, 03:32 PM
is it cause the stiffness index ? PD is alot stiffer i think

Pure Drive is stiff and plays stiff. The only thing it does better than the formula is serves and bit more power. Everything else, the Donnay has it beat in every category. Don't get me started about comfort. You know the answer.

Ross K
10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Any of you F100 users feel it necessary to put lead on it?

I frequently see posts calling it PD-like - better in some respects actually but not in terms of serve MPH.

Just makes me wonder what a few grams @ 12 might achieve here.

JackB1
10-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Any of you F100 users feel it necessary to put lead on it?

I frequently see posts calling it PD-like - better in some respects actually but not in terms of serve MPH.

Just makes me wonder what a few grams @ 12 might achieve here.

I don't think lead is necessary, but a few grams at 12' might increase serve speed. To me, I found them almost equal in serve speed with both stock.

Top Jimmy
10-08-2012, 09:50 AM
We will. You have no clue what you are talking about. Regardless of specs, the Pro One and APD have absolutely zero similarities on court. None. They play nothing alike, regardless of the fact they both have 16X19 string patterns.

Next you will be saying the Pure Drive and BLX 90 play the same because they both have 16X19 patterns.

Click on the Formula, and you'll see one of the racquets its compared to is the Pure Drive:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Donnay_Formula_100/descpageRCDONNAY-DFORM.html

Now click on the Pure Drive, and you'll see one of the racquets its being compared to is the Aero:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive_GT/descpageRCBAB-BPDGT.html

No where is there any mention of the Pro One.

Seriously, have you even hit with any of these frames?? You should quit while you are behind.

I agree. I owned aand played with a APDGT for a year, demo'd the Pro One for a week, they are about as similar as a T3000 and a 200G.

Dgdavid
10-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Finally got a reasonably price F100 coming in. Will be trying it out this weekend. Blade will take some shifting though.

Xonemains
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Finally got a reasonably price F100 coming in. Will be trying it out this weekend. Blade will take some shifting though.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be too much longer b4 you get some of these!

Just remember to string it a few lbs lower than normal, it's designed that way.:)

Don't lead it up either Dgdavid, it's very very good stock and swings very fast.

gd!
10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Just remember to string it a few lbs lower than normal, it's designed that way.:)

Don't lead it up either.

Fully AGREE. Same experience using X-Red 99 & X-P Dual both strung @ around 50/48.
Just left the + 5 butt cap, added to X-PD. XR99 w/o any customization weight.

tennisphotog
03-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Looking at buying a formula 100, but intrigued by previous comments about it being a repackaged x-27. I cannot find any real info on that stick, when did Donnay sell it, and where, hardly a mention on google searches. Also worried about cosmetic chipping too easy, any feedback?

El Diablo
03-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Worried about it chipping? Get a different racquet. Donnay frames have dandruff. Flakes drop off if you stare at the thing too long.

Amp1
03-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I have been using a F100 for doubles for a few months.

The paint of the racket holds fine. Only the letters on the racket easily scrape. Personally has not been a big deal to me.

TroutSc
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Quick question on specs...

The sticker on my f100 is 30132567

Does this mean my stick is 301 grams, 325 swingweight and 67 stiffness?

And if so, does that sound ok? Anything odd?

JackB1
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM

That's correct, but that's unstrung specs

TroutSc
04-23-2013, 06:42 PM

Right. But seems fairly normal right? Nothing goofy.
Should be a fairly basic, middle of the road tweener type that's workable for the average beginner/intermediate.

ChicagoJack
04-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Eh, close but not quite. The 325 is not swingweight, it's the balance point, which for your frame would be 325 millimeters, or more commonly expressed as 32.5 centimeters, which is also 5.5 points head light. 67 is indeed the stiffness, 301 is overall mass, and JackB1 is correct about the digits being for unstrung specs.

The flex is measured at the factory unstrung and with no grip. Once it is strung and gripped the flex will drop a few points. That's why, on the Pro One for example, you will see a few digits lower listed from the Tennis Warehouse specs versus sticker specs. Having explained that, I can now state that yes, there is something odd. 67ra is a somewhat low unstrung (sticker) flex for an F100. Tennis Warehouse strung flex digits, (which are an average of five racquets) are 69. So your unstrung 67 will likely drop to 65 or thereabouts once strung. Donnays that are under on flex, and under on mass/balance are somewhat rare, mostly when they are off QC they are higher balance, higher mass, and over on swingweight.

In my book at least, that under flex F100 you have is golden. 67 is about my cut-off point. Very stiff racquets are extremely overrated in terms of the additional power they produce, which is about 2-3 mph tops. Inherent racquet power is almost directly related to two factors and two factors alone: swingweight and racquet head speed. Thus, there isn't much "free" or easy power to be had, and it's more far more fruitful to chase string tension and string selection than running down the stiffness trail for "easy" power.

Jack

TroutSc
04-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks for info Jack!

Any others still using the f100?

I was going to trade it but think in gonna give it some more time. I enjoyed it today over my xv1.

jackcrawford
04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks for info Jack!

I was going to trade it but think in gonna give it some more time. I enjoyed it today over my xv1.The XV1 is the only V1 MP I didn't enjoy hitting; I love my Classic, and the DNX, and Catapult were
excellent frames. Quantum and Powerbridge were OK.

tlimster
04-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I've gone back to my F100s, primarily because my wrist and shoulder have been getting very sore after playing with the IG Radical Pros that I switched to. Although the frame is soft, the sweetspot is small and I use Proline X to control the power, so that probably caused some issues. I've been fine playing, but the next day wrist and shoulder are very sore.

I've played with the F100s the last 3 times out (same strings, higher tension) and not a twinge the next day. They are not the best or most controllable frame, but they work as well as Pro Kennex frames for controlling arm/shoulder pain, so I will stay with them this season.

JackB1
10-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks for info Jack!

I was going to trade it but think in gonna give it some more time. I enjoyed it today over my xv1.

Trout, I know this is an old post, so I hope you're still watching this thread,
but anyways, I was curious what you liked about the F100 more than the XV1 MP?

TroutSc
10-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Jack- I like the feel of the f100 over the xv1, I feel more consistent with it too. I'm currently using it, actually sold everything else. Sorry I don't have a more scientific explanation...mines more of seat of the pants decision. I find it very comfortable as well.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-29-2013, 03:51 PM
I am using mine more and more..

I originally got them for coaching and doubles but I am finding they are now close to being my primary frame.

That bit of extra pop and ease of use is finding me choosing them over the platinums more and more often.

Don't get me wrong, the Plat 99s are excellent, but...

JackB1
10-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Jack- I like the feel of the f100 over the xv1, I feel more consistent with it too. I'm currently using it, actually sold everything else. Sorry I don't have a more scientific explanation...mines more of seat of the pants decision. I find it very comfortable as well.

I think the F100 could be the most underrated racquet on TW. Seriously.

Trout...what string setup are you using? How is the power level compared to the XV1 MP?

TroutSc
10-30-2013, 02:42 AM
Tb/vanquish 52/55. I think the Xv1 had a little more power.

JackB1
10-30-2013, 05:31 AM
Tb/vanquish 52/55. I think the Xv1 had a little more power.

thanks. You're usually a poly/multi guy I believe.

I did briefly play with the F100 about 2 years ago and liked it but preferred whatever I had at that time. I think I thought it was a PD clone and thought it wouldn't have much touch/feel but I was probably wrong about that. Also, I only tried one string setup on it, so I never really gave ot a fair trial. I may revisit the F100 since you prefer it to the V1 and we seem to like the same racquets.

TroutSc
10-30-2013, 04:25 PM
The xv1 was probably great as well, I just was in a holy grail hunt at the time. I took em all up to the store and consigned them. The f100 didn't sell, and I wasn't loving the pb7s that I had...so I swung by and reclaimed my f100. I may like it simply because I'm using exclusively now. (Equipment mental case). It was a gift from my wife and I'm a BMS fan, so maybe that helps. I will say that my arm feels good with it and I'm improving.(not switching any racquets lately)

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-30-2013, 05:08 PM
The xv1 was probably great as well, I just was in a holy grail hunt at the time. I took em all up to the store and consigned them. The f100 didn't sell, and I wasn't loving the pb7s that I had...so I swung by and reclaimed my f100. I may like it simply because I'm using exclusively now. (Equipment mental case). It was a gift from my wife and I'm a BMS fan, so maybe that helps. I will say that my arm feels good with it and I'm improving.(not switching any racquets lately)

So I used teh f100s last night in a pennant (league) match against huge serving 5.5+ opposition.

Racquets were awesome and are in no way to blame for my unfortunate failure to win more than 7 games in three sets
(and that was with winning my singles so imagine how the dubs went :( )

I think I will stick with them

TroutSc
10-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm playing it stock. I think the weight is fine for me, but wonder how the buttcap weight would feel with it. I don't want to make it feel heavier but think a little more whip would be nice.

CheekyMullet
10-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Question for Timbo's HC: Formula 100 vs Organix 7 310?

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Question for Timbo's HC: Formula 100 vs Organix 7 310?

I find the F100 to be more manoeuvrable, especially on my 1HBH.

The X-310 has a little more power, I think, both are similarly solid, I personally think the Donnay has more 'feel' but that's very subjective.

Both are excellent racquets and I could play cheerfully with either.

CheekyMullet
11-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I find the F100 to be more manoeuvrable, especially on my 1HBH.

The X-310 has a little more power, I think, both are similarly solid, I personally think the Donnay has more 'feel' but that's very subjective.

Both are excellent racquets and I could play cheerfully with either.

Which one performs better on serve?

TroutSc
11-05-2013, 07:05 PM
What is the favorite string for the f100?
I've been sticking with tb/vanquish at 52/55. Has been comfortable. I still need to dial in a decent serve with it.

Also, has anyone tried the buttcap weights? I don't really want it any heavier but am curious about the cap weights. I think if I could just get it a little more wippy/little more RhS without making it 'feel' heavier it would help a lot. Could a 5g cap make it feel faster but not make it feel heavier?

JackB1
11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I've been sticking with tb/vanquish at 52/55. Has been comfortable. I still need to dial in a decent serve with it.

Also, has anyone tried the buttcap weights? I don't really want it any heavier but am curious about the cap weights. I think if I could just get it a little more wippy/little more RhS without making it 'feel' heavier it would help a lot. Could a 5g cap make it feel faster but not make it feel heavier?

Hard to say. You just need to try. You will notice the extra static weight during volleys, serves and just when holding it out in front of you. It may feel whippier on full strokes.

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Which one performs better on serve?

Well, the X-7 is also a little longer and generates more power but I serve better with the F100 as I feel I have more variety and control

it's a confidence thing, though, and I won a lot of matches with the Volkls

you will not be disappointed in either frame in my opinion

JackB1
11-06-2013, 05:46 AM

Donnay recommends a poly/syngut hybrid for the F100 and I think that's good advice. A slick syngut cross with allow the poly mains to slide better than a gummy multi. If you like a multi hybrid, I would rather do a multi/copoly hybrid.

TroutSc
11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Jack- you have a chance to revisit the f100 yet?
I strung up a 99s for fun, liked serve and 2hbd with it. The 2hbh had a neat trajectory, super loop and drop in. I couldn't find a volley to save my life tho. Went back to the f100 and it all came back. The low skiddy bh slice is easy with the f100. My topspin forehand and 2hbh seem to be a little lower than I like but I think more time will help that. Still loving the f100, at the net it does feel like an extension of my arm. Only issue I have that haunts me with it is my serve. I'm sure it's just something I'm doing and will eventually figure out. I'm gonna stick with the f100.

JackB1
11-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Jack- you have a chance to revisit the f100 yet?
I strung up a 99s for fun, liked serve and 2hbd with it. The 2hbh had a neat trajectory, super loop and drop in. I couldn't find a volley to save my life tho. Went back to the f100 and it all came back. The low skiddy bh slice is easy with the f100. My topspin forehand and 2hbh seem to be a little lower than I like but I think more time will help that. Still loving the f100, at the net it does feel like an extension of my arm. Only issue I have that haunts me with it is my serve. I'm sure it's just something I'm doing and will eventually figure out. I'm gonna stick with the f100.

I have not, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it :)
Its a great choice for sure. You hardly ever hear anyone say anything negative about it.
Enjoy it. Serve is always last thing to fall in place for me with a new stick.

TroutSc
11-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I have not, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it :)
Its a great choice for sure. You hardly ever hear anyone say anything negative about it.
Enjoy it. Serve is always last thing to fall in place for me with a new stick.

I saw your other thread jack! Good luck with the head.

I'm still sticking with the f100. Broke a string, had some tb/vanquish here so goin that route again @52/55.

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-18-2013, 02:23 PM
buy these things

that is all

:)

DrewRafter8
11-18-2013, 03:28 PM
buy these things

that is all

:)

Easier to play with then the Platinum's, right?

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Easier to play with then the Platinum's, right?

oh heck yeah!

Without losing any performance to be honest..

Don't get me wrong, the Plats are terrific, but I play just as well with the F100s with a bigger margin for error..

DrewRafter8
11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
oh heck yeah!

Without losing any performance to be honest..

Don't get me wrong, the Plats are terrific, but I play just as well with the F100s with a bigger margin for error..

I understand. I'm giving up the Plats, I'm not playing as much and it's hard to pick them up and play well. When I'm playing more then once every two to three weeks, then the Plats are on the money. I liked the Formula quite a bit, but I'm going back to my 27.5" ways. It's like a Babolat Aero without the harshness.

goose guy
03-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Just got one from the bay. Curious if anyone still uses this stick. String and tension?

cocarrot
03-24-2014, 03:59 AM
I have a matched couple that I still enjoy hitting with. I really like them strung with VS16/CoFocus17 @57/53 or with full bed X-One16 @60 great feel/comfort combo. I am reluctant to use full poly in this frame because of some developing arm issues.

microphage
03-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Just got one from the bay. Curious if anyone still uses this stick. String and tension?

So u were the one who got that new one...... @_@

;)

I got the used pair instead. Not sure why. I have too many racquets.

goose guy
03-24-2014, 07:11 PM
So u were the one who got that new one...... @_@

;)

I got the used pair instead. Not sure why. I have too many racquets.

I was gonna bid on the used pair but what was I gonna do with 2 if i didnt like them?

Sorry I outbid u on the new one but at least we each got our f100s. Enjoy!

goose guy
03-24-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a matched couple that I still enjoy hitting with. I really like them strung with VS16/CoFocus17 @57/53 or with full bed X-One16 @60 great feel/comfort combo. I am reluctant to use full poly in this frame because of some developing arm issues.

I'm a gut/cofocus guy so I'll try ur setup. Thanks!

microphage
03-24-2014, 07:18 PM
I was gonna bid on the used pair but what was I gonna do with 2 if i didnt like them?

Sorry I outbid u on the new one but at least we each got our f100s. Enjoy!

Exactly. I might just sell both in a month like always. I also picked up a new pro staff 95s a day later..... Wife gonna kill me.
Have fun.

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Follow up warning. Killed my shoulder in the end.

Thing is, they don't feel stiff, but...

goose guy
03-24-2014, 08:05 PM

Way to deflate our excitement. Lol. But thx for the warning.
Anyone else with shoulder problems using the f100?

microphage
03-24-2014, 10:04 PM

I felt this way after a few months with the Donnay pro one OS ext. best serving stick ever hit with but caused me shoulder pain despite using a hybrid.

mhkeuns
04-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Formula 100 is one bad *** of a racquet. My ground strokes were powerful and accurate, especially the topspin forehand and backhand. This racquet gave me the confidence to rip the ball. Loved the looks of it, too. I currently play with the Pure Strike Tour mainly because it's new, powerful and love the cosmetics, but I think F100 is a better for matches with better control, where as, the Pure Strike Tour is better for the rallies with effortless power.

microphage
04-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Way to deflate our excitement. Lol. But thx for the warning.

Anyone else with shoulder problems using the f100?

Did u string yours up yet? Very solid feeling stick and doesn't get pushed around from what I can tell. I strung my F100 with the ashaway Kevlar hybrid at 54 pounds and definitely felt comfortable with the groundies with it. Haven't served or played a game with it yet so will report back.

TroutSc
04-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Picked mine back up today off the consignment rack. I think I've tried to sell it a few times now but nobody seems to want it, so I go back to it.
Have full bhbr in it now, feels good

microphage
04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Been playing with my PS95s almost exclusively for last few weeks and just picked this up. Controllable power and fairly stable even in stock form. I might add a leather grip just to get it closer to my ps95s static weight.

TroutSc
04-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Let me know how the leather does. I put a syntec touch on mine. Curious how a little heavier grip would feel.

cocarrot
04-28-2014, 01:19 AM
I just keep coming back to Formula 100 every now and then. It is such a great frame that makes things easier on the court. It's basically a much much better Pure Drive in every single category except for serves and power (which is good for many). If this stick was a child of a big manufacturer like Wilson it could become easily one of the best selling products ever.