PDA

View Full Version : Xuron tools for stringing

Bas
02-14-2012, 06:06 AM
I would like to get some opinions about it.

drakulie
02-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Excellent snips. However, if you don't string much, a good pair of nail clippers do an excellent job.

Bas
02-14-2012, 06:21 AM
And the Kevlar cutter to cut out an old stringjob?

coachrick
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
And the Kevlar cutter to cut out an old stringjob?

Not to derail the thread; but I just purchased a pair of the Fiskars ShopBoss shears on clearance at WalMart. I've cut out one kevlar/poly string job so far and I like them for that. Not ALL that different from a good pair of tomato-can scissors, but there are a couple of extra features that might come in handy away from the stringing machine. I figure if these don't feel right for cutting out string, I can always use them in the garage/shop for cutting heavy materials, leather, etc.
The WalMart clearance price was $8.40 YMMV and all that.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-5792-Shop-Hardware-Multipurpose/dp/B006V8777O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329248947&sr=8-1

Irvin
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
...I figure if these don't feel right for cutting out string, I can always use them in the garage/shop for cutting heavy materials, leather, etc...

Or just cutting up tomato cans. LOL

pvaudio
02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
They're what I use. Alpha starting clamp and stringbed cutter, Xuron snips and needle nose (bent). Only four tools I use.

fortun8son
02-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Love my Xuron cutters. They'll do tomato cans too. Just takes longer.

wrxtotoro
02-17-2012, 11:01 AM
You can get a pair of Cresent Brand snap cutter and flat plier in Home Depot for like $14. Both works perfectly for the past two years.

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
You can get cheaper, but not better.
I first learned about them for cutting nickel-silver HO railroad track and snipping plastic model parts from the sprues cleanly. Flush cut, no burrs, keeps it's edge and practically indestructable.

eelhc
10-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Anyone have Xuron part numbers for the:

diagonal cutter
needle nose pliers
bent needle nose pliers

Suitable for stringing? Thinking of upgrading my craftsman set.

Rabbit
10-13-2014, 12:55 PM
I recently bought a kimony awl and more better....a kimony cutter. It is awesome for cutting out string beds

Chotobaka
10-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Anyone have Xuron part numbers for the:

diagonal cutter
needle nose pliers
bent needle nose pliers

Suitable for stringing? Thinking of upgrading my craftsman set.

I have both Craftsman and Xuron cutters and small needle nose pliers. I actually use the Craftsman diagonal cutter more often -- it makes a finer cut -- the Xuron jaws are a little bit thicker. The Crafstman pliers are just fine. The indispensable Xuron tool is the bent needle nose pliers. They are outstanding. I do not have the part numbers in front of me, but will try to post later if someone else doesn't post them.

MAX PLY
10-13-2014, 01:37 PM
I actually have the Xuron bent nose pliers and micro cutters. I like them both but I think you can get about as good as you need performance from Craftsman or several other less expensive options. You can get the Xuron tools through the grand slam stringers website.

I also have a string bed cutter but my favorite string bed cutters are the ones I keep in my bag for when I break a string (often and I always cut them out pretty much immediately)---Four dollar surgical shears I bought at a drug store--seriously work just as well. I orginally bought them to cut tape and used them once on a string bed and have used them ever since.

mikeler
10-14-2014, 06:22 AM
I actually have the Xuron bent nose pliers and micro cutters. I like them both but I think you can get about as good as you need performance from Craftsman or several other less expensive options. You can get the Xuron tools through the grand slam stringers website.

I also have a string bed cutter but my favorite string bed cutters are the ones I keep in my bag for when I break a string (often and I always cut them out pretty much immediately)---Four dollar surgical shears I bought at a drug store--seriously work just as well. I orginally bought them to cut tape and used them once on a string bed and have used them ever since.

I'll have to try out the surgical shears, thanks for the tip.

Irvin
10-14-2014, 06:43 AM
I picked up a pair of carpet shears at a yard sale for 50 cents and they have been working great for the last 15 years.

http://www.carpettool.net/carpet_tools_images/187_cmyk.jpg

Sparkyovcov
10-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I'll give you a dollar for them?