PDA

View Full Version : Brush over or hit through the forehand?

Wilander Fan
02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Normally I hit forehands with alot of vertical movement so the longer strings tend to shift alot from side to side and I have to bunch them back into the center. This created a tendency to open up to early with the shoulders so I tried to focus on keeping the shoulders closed with less vertical movement of the racket and the result was more of a "slappy" forehand where I note the long strings stay in place but the short strings arch upward. Not as much spin but more solid contact. Based on the string movement, is it possible to tell if I was using bad technique one way or the other?

Power Player
02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
No. String movement is not going to say much.

Start your swing at the hip. The hip will open up everything and transfer your weight properly (assuming your footwork is correct).

the Lock N Roll tennis forehand video shows this perfectly.

Limpinhitter
02-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Normally I hit forehands with alot of vertical movement so the longer strings tend to shift alot from side to side and I have to bunch them back into the center. This created a tendency to open up to early with the shoulders so I tried to focus on keeping the shoulders closed with less vertical movement of the racket and the result was more of a "slappy" forehand where I note the long strings stay in place but the short strings arch upward. Not as much spin but more solid contact. Based on the string movement, is it possible to tell if I was using bad technique one way or the other?

Hit "up" on the ball. I wouldn't think of it as brushing because that might result in too much of a glancing blow. Just hit up and let your upper body rotation bring the racquet across on the follow through and then finish down near the hip. That will give you a solid, heavy topspin ball.

PS: Forget about the strings. That's a diversion. Get a full bed of poly and the strings will snap back in to place.

Limpinhitter
02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
No. String movement is not going to say much.

Start your swing at the hip. The hip will open up everything and transfer your weight properly (assuming your footwork is correct).

the Lock N Roll tennis forehand video shows this perfectly.

Agree about the L&R video. There's a lot there that's shown but not explained.

Power Player
02-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah like the footwork. That is the key part.

You HAVE to know how to take those first 2-3 steps or everything else is going to be flawed.

He shows it in the vid, but does not talk about it.

user92626
02-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Wilan,

Unlike others here, I'll say that your observation of the strings is good and helpful, just like we observe where the ball fur sticks the most.

I'd say that it's indicative that your swing path is correct when "longer strings tend to shift alot from side to side". When I hit with a lot of topspin, after every point my mains shift to either 3 or 9. Hitting flat or not enough power with topspin tends to keep the mains more straightly aligned.

LeeD
02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Gotta show your vid, if you want anyone to know how you swing.
String movement can be bad string job, bad strings, too loose, bad string.
Basically, it seems you have the low to high swingplane, so the answer would be....does your forehand have enough BALL SPEED and control?

wrxinsc
02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
flater driving stroke on high sitters. must.

normal rally ball forehands you do what feels good man. feels good man.

like this >
Hit "up" on the ball. I wouldn't think of it as brushing because that might result in too much of a glancing blow. Just hit up and let your upper body rotation bring the racquet across on the follow through and then finish down near the hip. That will give you a solid, heavy topspin ball.

PS: Forget about the strings. That's a diversion. Get a full bed of poly and the strings will snap back in to place.

ATP100
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Easy Answer: Both

LeeD
02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah, both would be ideal. Swing as fast as you can control, hit the ball the fastest you can while adding enough topspin for you to control repeatedly.
For me, rallyballs are loopy C backswung hi bouncing safe shots.
Shorter, more direct backswing, slower swingspeed flatter balls for forcing shots.
I only try one forcing attempt for every two rally balls, so I need different forehands.

rosewall4ever
02-17-2012, 01:51 AM

no vid so can't tell whats wrong. sorry. trajectory not strings can tell whether you need to apply one or the other.

LeeD
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
How much topspin to hit?
Balance between hitting fast and inconsistent, like going for winners, vs slower loopy more spin balls for consistent rally ability.
At levels above 3.5, no need to hit flat slow rally balls, your shots will get crushed for winners.
Nadal choose the majority of groundstrokes along the slower loopier range, choosing to hit tons of topspin to get the ball in, and he wants his legs to beat his opponent's legs.
Other players might choose to hit flatter, going for more winners, rallying less, and using shots to win in their tennis.
Different mindset, different ball.