PDA

View Full Version : Goals for 1-week tennis vacation

wangpaulp
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi all -
I'm a (low) 3.5 player, 50 years old, and about to take a 6-day tennis vacation.
It's not a camp - it's a hotel with tennis facilities & clinics & pros. I want to play a lot, have fun, and get better. What's a reasonable goal, and how should I approach it?

Possible goals:
- Learn a new shot, e.g. drop shot, BH slice, kick serve
- Just really polish my current shots: Overhead, slice & flat serves
- Change my FH grip from Eastern to semi-Western. I hit decent topspin now,
so not sure this is worth it.

Possible approaches (not mutually exclusive):
- Do the daily clinic
- Take a daily semi-private lesson (private would be too expensive for me)
- Take a lesson from my local pro before I go, and just play a lot while I'm there.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

LeeD
02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not a goal oriented person.
If I was going, it's be to have a good time, hit lots of tennis balls (but no more than my body allows), hob nob a bit, and gain some more experience overall.
Specifics might or might not work, since you don't know what's taught, whether you get along, or whether it will rain every day.

larry10s
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
take a lesson with your local pro
and ask him what to do
his advice is better than ours:oops:
jmho

LuckyR
02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Since you will have access to Pros and matches for awhile, I would work on a better second serve and my returns (as a 3.5).

KenC
02-15-2012, 08:51 AM
It all depends if there are a lot of fine 20-something tennis babes there. If so, it is really difficult to focus on tennis. But then there are 51 other weeks in which you can work on your tennis.

Limpinhitter
02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi all -
I'm a (low) 3.5 player, 50 years old, and about to take a 6-day tennis vacation.
It's not a camp - it's a hotel with tennis facilities & clinics & pros. I want to play a lot, have fun, and get better. What's a reasonable goal, and how should I approach it?

Possible goals:

- Do the daily clinic
- Take a lesson from my local pro before I go, and just play a lot while I'm there.

- 3 mimosas before breakfast.
- 3 margaritas before lunch.
- 3 shots of tequila with beer chasers before dinner.
- 3 shots of Bushmills with beer chasers before bed; or 3 double espressos and 6 Partigas cigars and stay up all night playing poker.

PS: It may take a few days to work up to that pace.

rkelley
02-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi all -

Possible goals:

- Do the daily clinic

You have six days around people who know how to play the game well and are willing to teach you. If I were you I would focus on improving my basic form on my fh, bh, and serve. You can't develop high level form in six days, but you can learn what high level form is, where you're doing it and where you're not, and work on specific areas and drills to improve. You might be able to leave knowing the specific motions that you need and homework to do when you get back home.

It's the kind of thing that will pay dividends for the rest of your tennis life.

wangpaulp
02-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the input. Here's what I did:

- I guessed (correctly) that I was not fit enough for more than 2-3 hours of intense tennis per day.

- Took a private lesson on Day 2, and asked to fine-tune my groundies and serve. I didn't mention previously, but I was still using an Eastern FH grip, so I took the occasion to switch to a semi-Western.

- Played in a clinic, or with my teenage daughter, every day. This let me practice what I got from the private lesson.

Bottom line: had a great time, got lots of exercise, and the new FH still has a ways to go. But my serve is a lot better - my pro at home always stressed that I needed to snap my wrist more. The resort pro said same, but also said to rotate my swing shoulder forward and down as I finish. This helped me.

Thanks again.