PDA

View Full Version : Use babolat bridge protector on pro open?

Power Player
02-14-2012, 06:00 PM
I was stringing up my pro open and the bridge piece slid up off the laserfiber bottom mounts and went down to the graphite on the stick in 2 spts on the bridge where it was being mounted. Basically the bottom part of the frame came up off the mounts scraping paint down to the graphite while it happened.

I retightened everything and finished the stick, but is the racquet pretty much a goner?

Also, i guess i have to use the babolat piece on this racquet? I have no other idea how to keep this from happening again.

:(

mad dog1
02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
do you have any pics illustrating how it slipped?

Power Player
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah I can try and take some, but my camera is very average for capturing these types of details.

My machine is the Laserfibre ms 200tt. The bottom clamp area has 2 white pieces that basically keep the frame from slipping forwards and contact the frame at the throat. You then screw down the clamps on top of the frame to keep it from popping up.

Anyway, the frame basically jumped forwards, sliding over the bottom pieces and scraped the paint off the frame down to the graphite.

I believe this stick is so much like a babolat that the throat is really skinny and high. Regardless, it sucked. I refastened the stick and finished the string job, but this was a massive string job fail by me. I should have used the babolat piece I guess. It basically slides over the throat of the stick and locks it in place.

I just wondered if anyone who has strung up a pro open knows what I am talking about. There is always the potential that I just did not mount the frame properly, and did not raise the bottom clamp pieces high enough off the stringer.

Or I just simply need to use the babolat piece.

The only reason I even ask is because if I do use the babolat piece, and the frame is too rigid, I could crack the frame or snap a string.

If the worst thing is I have a frame with paint ripped off at 2 spots, I can easily make peace with that. I see no cracks so far.

Racquet-Priority
02-16-2012, 07:23 AM
I understand what you mean. I think you should indeed use the Babolat piece. The beam is pretty round, like babolats. But I think you only scratched the paint. I wouldn't throw it away untill I played with it.

equinox
02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah I can try and take some, but my camera is very average for capturing these types of details.

My machine is the Laserfibre ms 200tt. The bottom clamp area has 2 white pieces that basically keep the frame from slipping forwards and contact the frame at the throat. You then screw down the clamps on top of the frame to keep it from popping up.

Anyway, the frame basically jumped forwards, sliding over the bottom pieces and scraped the paint off the frame down to the graphite.

I believe this stick is so much like a babolat that the throat is really skinny and high. Regardless, it sucked. I refastened the stick and finished the string job, but this was a massive string job fail by me. I should have used the babolat piece I guess. It basically slides over the throat of the stick and locks it in place.

I just wondered if anyone who has strung up a pro open knows what I am talking about. There is always the potential that I just did not mount the frame properly, and did not raise the bottom clamp pieces high enough off the stringer.

Or I just simply need to use the babolat piece.

The only reason I even ask is because if I do use the babolat piece, and the frame is too rigid, I could crack the frame or snap a string.

If the worst thing is I have a frame with paint ripped off at 2 spots, I can easily make peace with that. I see no cracks so far.

I've strung plenty of PD style throat piece racquets with regular two piece plastic before acquiring babolat one piece.

I've always locked racquet down and to length quite tightly. I move two bridges all the way up, high as possible without interfering with stringbed. Still not ideal but I've never had a jump out.

For customer racquet, not mounting racquet correctly and causing damage is bad mistake. Not unknown or uncommon for mounting systems to take a very little paint off or leave indentured marks on racquets from tight mounts. Nature of the beast. On a new racquet will be visible, on played in one it's in decipherable from normal wear and tear.

I once scarred the intellipaint on an old Head titanium Ti 6 OS. Left a few visible pull marks over the throat. I was mortified, was so ****ed i didn't think to tape over rubber paint. Black texted over the marks made lines nearly invisible. I then apologised for the cosmetic damage and offered to find a replacement online. Owner said don't worry about it, old anyway and received next two stringjobs free. Learned something, humbled.

I hope you were well into the crosses when jumped out?

So did you push it back down or let it sit on bare metal losing 5mm?

Power Player
02-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys, the racquet seems to play fine so i dodged a bullet.

Equi, i should have moved the 2 bridge pieces up higher. I was finishing the mains when it happened, so i had to reseat the stick to do the crosses. It was pretty bad form by me.

Ill use the babolat piece from now on to be safe.

jjs891
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I think my Gamma 4000 machine has the similar clamp system. Mine is pretty old. Anyway the plastic pieces no longer hold the frame down well anymore and the frame tends to slide when pulling the crosses. I presented this problem in this forum, and many have suggested to use small pieces of tacky overgrip on the clamp system for more stability. It has worked beautifully for me and saved me $$ , not having to buy new machine. Maybe this might work for you too.

Clintspin
02-16-2012, 11:46 AM
The Babolat throat piece for a Stringway machine is handy to have because it also works well for some other racquets. I think it works better than the half-moon throat pieces on some racquets. I remember using it for some Wilsons.

Power Player
02-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Yep..my racquet strung up rather easily with the Babo piece. That is the way to go for this racquet.