PDA

View Full Version : Say, you like all-court play! Trying volleys, swinging volleys, awesome defense from

DeShaun
02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
the baseline. This is all good; but what you really want to do is to hammer serves and nail forehands--to keep the points short. :)

Now, what's a good racket, like the Pure Drive, for serve-and-forehanders?

Tactically and strategically, I want to keep things simple as possible, building my game around strengths. I hope I'm not deluding myself, though. . .maybe my backhand is stronger than my forehand? :)ha ha

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
how about a pure drive roddick inteh sexy black, then?

DeShaun
02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
how about a pure drive roddick inteh sexy black, then?

Those are so expensive though. Isn't there some other secret racket that only a few people know about that isn't made by a big-name trading mostly on its brand by jacking up the stick's price to higher than it's actually worth from a design standpoint? Sort of like how the Gamma Tour 320 is a great mid-size players stick without all the prima donna attitude and a price tag to match. Not that I'm into cutting corners, but I've owned one or two "toast of the party-this-season only" frames that did not perform so much better as to justify the added cost.

KenC
02-15-2012, 12:15 AM
I would see if you could deal with the Wilson 95's, preferably the 18x20. If that is too much then try the Babolat Pure Storm Tour. Both are capable of really pounding the forehand and backhand with a good amount of control. Serves will suffer somewhat because of the higher swingweights and static weights, but trust me, they can hit booming serves as well. Unfortunately what makes for a banging stick on the baseline makes for less banging on the serve, and vice versa.

For something like the Pure Drive that works much better than the Pure Drive, I would try the Pro Kennex Ki5 315. It is everything a Pure Drive should be.

DeShaun
02-15-2012, 01:31 AM
I would see if you could deal with the Wilson 95's, preferably the 18x20. If that is too much then try the Babolat Pure Storm Tour. Both are capable of really pounding the forehand and backhand with a good amount of control. Serves will suffer somewhat because of the higher swingweights and static weights, but trust me, they can hit booming serves as well. Unfortunately what makes for a banging stick on the baseline makes for less banging on the serve, and vice versa.

For something like the Pure Drive that works much better than the Pure Drive, I would try the Pro Kennex Ki5 315. It is everything a Pure Drive should be.

I am going to check out the swing and static weights on the two rackets you named, the Wilson 95 (95 what? PS?) and PST on which latter I have heard so many glowing reviews from such varied sources, I am curious to make this racket my own. But which Wilsons did you have in mind? TY

EDIT: The PSE looks awesome!! 12.9oz (i'm swingin' 390grams now) in a 100sq/in head!! (current head=93sq/in). it should be both familiar (weight-wise) and better (power-wise) all at once.

KenC
02-15-2012, 03:20 AM
This one (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_BLX_SixOne_95_BLX_18x20/descpageRCWILSON-WSO95C.html)

It seems it just came out with a new paintjob, don't know if it also had other changes. The previous two versions are both great. If you like really heavy I bet this one will do the job with a leather grip and 10g of lead in the throat area.

The PST is lighter but again it is easy to add weight to by adding a leather grip and weighting the throat area. On racquets like this it is not really necessary to weight the hoop as the power is often too much and the racquet seems to benefit more with added plowthru from adding weight in the throat.

Never played with the PK PSE, seems like a comfortable monster.

scotus
02-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Those are so expensive though. Isn't there some other secret racket that only a few people know about that isn't made by a big-name trading mostly on its brand by jacking up the stick's price to higher than it's actually worth from a design standpoint? Sort of like how the Gamma Tour 320 is a great mid-size players stick without all the prima donna attitude and a price tag to match. Not that I'm into cutting corners, but I've owned one or two "toast of the party-this-season only" frames that did not perform so much better as to justify the added cost.

How about one of the Yamaha Secret racquets? Super stiff and powerful.

kaiser
02-15-2012, 05:11 AM
If you can wield it, the Dunlop 4D 200 Tour would fit your bill. For me, it's the biggest serving stick I've ever played with, and it's great for nailing short returns with your forehand... Used to be a serve-volleyer on grass, but on clay and with advancing age I've now developed more into a serve-forehander myself... :)

Larrysümmers
02-15-2012, 06:27 AM
i would suggest the radical mp.

dman72
02-15-2012, 06:55 AM
the baseline. This is all good; but what you really want to do is to hammer serves and nail forehands--to keep the points short. :)

Now, what's a good racket, like the Pure Drive, for serve-and-forehanders?

Tactically and strategically, I want to keep things simple as possible, building my game around strengths. I hope I'm not deluding myself, though. . .maybe my backhand is stronger than my forehand? :)ha ha

A man after my own heart.

This 2 dimensional warrior uses a prince o3 hybrid shark MP. This is a powerful pure drive esque frame, but with a little softer flex. I have it leaded up to 12.7 ounces, about 6 pts HL, strung with Kevlar 17 mains and gosen polylon 17 crosses at 65 lbs. Serves are cannon like and forehands are rockets. Ball felt is flying all over the place. If proper topspin is not employed, ball hits halfway up on the backwall on the fly, and hard. :mad: It's not the raquets fault if I'm late or my front shoulder flies open.

Deuces Wild
02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
I've found the Tecnifibre Tflashes play similarly to Pure Drives and the old PJs are on sale.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tecnifibre_TFlash_315_SpeedFlex/descpageRCTFUSA-315SFR.html

prjacobs
02-15-2012, 08:29 AM

This holds true for me. I can serve really well with a lighter, more powerful stick such as the dunlop 4D 500 tour, but I have to hold back a bit hitting groundstrokes. I found that a shortened backswing on the forehand side was pretty effective. I could also play amazing defense with it. So the trade off was, do I take the many more free points on serve, the ability to flick my racquet at the last minute and turn defense into offense, or do a get a frame that lets me pound groundstrokes. For the moment, the point is moot, because I found that the 4D 500 tour hurt my shoulder so I'm on the sidelines. However, I think I'm leaning towards something slightly less powerful with more weight. I just can't resist really hitting out :).
But as to your question, I'd look at the bio 400 and 500 tours. I played with a Pro Kennex 5G and didn't like it at all. I may add lead to the hoop and give it another shot. Many people on the forum suggest that.
Good luck.

DeShaun
02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
This holds true for me. I can serve really well with a lighter, more powerful stick such as the dunlop 4D 500 tour, but I have to hold back a bit hitting groundstrokes. I found that a shortened backswing on the forehand side was pretty effective. I could also play amazing defense with it. So the trade off was, do I take the many more free points on serve, the ability to flick my racquet at the last minute and turn defense into offense, or do a get a frame that lets me pound groundstrokes. For the moment, the point is moot, because I found that the 4D 500 tour hurt my shoulder so I'm on the sidelines. However, I think I'm leaning towards something slightly less powerful with more weight. I just can't resist really hitting out :).
But as to your question, I'd look at the bio 400 and 500 tours. I played with a Pro Kennex 5G and didn't like it at all. I may add lead to the hoop and give it another shot. Many people on the forum suggest that.
Good luck.
What was the 5g's main drawback?

DeShaun
02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
This one (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_BLX_SixOne_95_BLX_18x20/descpageRCWILSON-WSO95C.html)

It seems it just came out with a new paintjob, don't know if it also had other changes. The previous two versions are both great. If you like really heavy I bet this one will do the job with a leather grip and 10g of lead in the throat area.

The PST is lighter but again it is easy to add weight to by adding a leather grip and weighting the throat area. On racquets like this it is not really necessary to weight the hoop as the power is often too much and the racquet seems to benefit more with added plowthru from adding weight in the throat.

Never played with the PK PSE, seems like a comfortable monster.

This looks like a really nice racket but it's out of my price range for now.

DeShaun
02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I've found the Tecnifibre Tflashes play similarly to Pure Drives and the old PJs are on sale.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tecnifibre_TFlash_315_SpeedFlex/descpageRCTFUSA-315SFR.html

This looks like it might hurt my shoulder because its stiffness is rated at 70. :(
Not only this, but I have heard that Technifibre sticks play even stiffer than advertised.

Fed Kennedy
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Serve and forehand?
Try this one. Nice price too.
http://www.hititover.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/isner.jpg

dman72
02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Serve and forehand?
Try this one. Nice price too.
http://www.hititover.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/isner.jpg

Shark MP is almost the exact specs as o3 white, except o3 holes only at 12 and 6, .2 ounces lighter, and 2 pts less head light.

prjacobs
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
What was the 5g's main drawback?

Everyone had been raving about this stick and when I hit with it, it felt so unexpectedly flimsy that I put it down after 5 minutes. As I mentioned, many people from the forum add lead, so I'm going to try that and see.

getsby
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
here is a list of people that fall under this definition
Tsonga-Babolat
Del Potro-Wilson
Dolgopolov-Wilson
Roddick-Babolat
Soderling-Head
Verdasco-Dunlop
and many others :) brand does not matter here

LeeD
02-15-2012, 03:28 PM
+2 for Dunlop 500T.
I use the standard 500 right now, more power always a good thing.

DeShaun
02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
+2 for Dunlop 500T.
I use the standard 500 right now, more power always a good thing.

After some research, I thought "this is the one." I want to experiment, however, with a smaller grip size, but this stick comes only in 5/8 from TW and I am a loyal customer. :) (interested in one day being selected for TWs test demo program)

Now, I'm leaning strongly towards the 4D 200 tour, but the 95 inch hoop scares me, as though I wouldn't see much added power in switching from a 93 to a 95.

UCSF2012
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
After some research, I thought "this is the one." I want to experiment, however, with a smaller grip size, but this stick comes only in 5/8 from TW and I am a loyal customer. :) (interested in one day being selected for TWs test demo program)

Now, I'm leaning strongly towards the 4D 200 tour, but the 95 inch hoop scares me, as though I wouldn't see much added power in switching from a 93 to a 95.

Some of my consistently fast serves came from the EXO3 Graphite 93, no lead.
Even faster with lead, but groundstrokes were a bit more erratic.

My suggestion is to get better strings than Forten. Perfomance comes from strings too, not just the frame.