PDA

View Full Version : Prince Tweener Battle: Warrior vs Rebel

JackB1
02-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Prince has come out with 2 new very nice "tweener" options for all you 3.5-4.0,s out there...the EXO3 Warrior and the EXO3 Rebel 98. They have many similarities but some differences as well. They both have a similar static weight around 328 grams and swingweights at around 325, which is exactly what I prefer. The Warrior has a bit of a firmer feel, with more power, while the Rebel 98 has a flexier feel with slightly less power. The Rebel has a slightly thinner beam and a slightly smaller hoopsize. The Warrior has a much rounder shaped hoop, while the Rebel 98 has a more oval shape and looks closer to a 95 to me.

The Warrior seems like a racquet in the mold of a Head Speed or Babalot APD or PD. It's also very similar to my current #1 racquet..the Becker DC Pro.
Oustanding baseliners stick with good comfort and power with control.

The Rebel 98 is a great choice for those that find the Rebel 95 too heavy and demanding. It reminds me of my old flame...the Becker London MP or the IG Speed 300 or Volkl X10-295. Its a true "players-tweener", where the Warrior is more of a pure "tweener" for baseline bashing.

If anyone else has tried both of these, I would like to hear your thoughts.
I will continue to playtest these in the coming weeks and will update my thoughts as I go.

Jocke
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Any more impressions?

JackB1
02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Any more impressions?

sorry, I've been posting tons of impressions in the "Warrior 100 Review" thread.

check that one out.

long story short...I much preferred the Warrior. The Rebel 98 is more of just a lighter players frame.

Jopspin
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I also tried both frames. I completely agree with the way you described the warrior as a baseline basher's racket because that was immediately my first impression. The spin/power/control of the warrior were impressive and I bought one just after two days of hitting. It did feel like an APD with more feel, less swingweight and a larger sweetspot. The APD kills my shoulders because of it's stiffness but the warrior - though not exactly a flexible racket - doesn't. The stiffness is just perfect. The demo version was strung with Prince Beast at 58 lbs. I found the setup to be quite stiff and most the balls were landing within the baseline safely. For more comfort and so that my balls land deeper I order my racket strung with Luxilon big banger Ace 18 at 56 lbs. I can't wait to hit with it. The warrior will be my rackets for years to come I hope.
The rebel had something missing which I couldn't really pin. It's just not suitable to my game. Even though the head size was only 2 square inches less than the warrior, the sweetspot was significantly smaller. If felt like a player's racket. Spin was harder to generate. I also usually prefer the 16 by 18 or 16 by 19 string patterns. A 16 by 20 means I have to swing harder because of the extra density.
Warrior for life!!

Power Player
03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
The string is killing your shoulders more than the stick. Lux at 56#s...how long do you play with that setup?

li0scc0
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
The Rebel 98 is not a tweener, it is a players stick that has room for modification in the handle. The very low stiffness and low power precludes it being a tweener, plus the beam is relatively narrow.
The Warrior is a nice frame, much like what the EXO3 Black or White would have been with a lower stiffness (and thus less power).
Interesting Prince seems to be going lower and lower with their stiffness ratings....

Jopspin
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
The string is killing your shoulders more than the stick. Lux at 56#s...how long do you play with that setup?

I've played with babolat hurricane feel at 59 lbs, prince beast xp at 58 lbs and solinco tour bite at 55 lbs. I read that luxilon strings are co-poly and as such are easier on the arm and shoulders so I decided to try it. I just got my EXO3 warrior strung that way and will be using that setup today for the first time. Should I not be surprised in case my shoulder still gets sore?

JackB1
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I also tried both frames. I completely agree with the way you described the warrior as a baseline basher's racket because that was immediately my first impression. The spin/power/control of the warrior were impressive and I bought one just after two days of hitting. It did feel like an APD with more feel, less swingweight and a larger sweetspot. The APD kills my shoulders because of it's stiffness but the warrior - though not exactly a flexible racket - doesn't. The stiffness is just perfect. The demo version was strung with Prince Beast at 58 lbs. I found the setup to be quite stiff and most the balls were landing within the baseline safely. For more comfort and so that my balls land deeper I order my racket strung with Luxilon big banger Ace 18 at 56 lbs. I can't wait to hit with it. The warrior will be my rackets for years to come I hope.
The rebel had something missing which I couldn't really pin. It's just not suitable to my game. Even though the head size was only 2 square inches less than the warrior, the sweetspot was significantly smaller. If felt like a player's racket. Spin was harder to generate. I also usually prefer the 16 by 18 or 16 by 19 string patterns. A 16 by 20 means I have to swing harder because of the extra density.
Warrior for life!!

I agree that the Rebel 98 is definitely not as "user friendly" as the Warrior and that's why I chose it too!

JackB1
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
The Rebel 98 is not a tweener, it is a players stick that has room for modification in the handle. The very low stiffness and low power precludes it being a tweener, plus the beam is relatively narrow.
The Warrior is a nice frame, much like what the EXO3 Black or White would have been with a lower stiffness (and thus less power).
Interesting Prince seems to be going lower and lower with their stiffness ratings....

The Black was too stiff for me (70's) and the White was too light and powerful.
The Warrior hit's that sweet spot for me in terms of: power, stiffness, swingweight.....the whole shebang! :)

Arthuro
03-01-2012, 03:37 PM

I concur. I think we have so loosely associated tweeners with 98-100+ racquets that the idea and definition is being lost. A tweener assumes a player with a moderate to faster swing speed. This is why thicker beams, wider heads, and weight differs from thin beam heavier player frames.

The 98 rebel is no tweener. It is a players stick (midplus) able to be customized to its players desire. Stock form seems to play more like a players mid plus w/o to much help fro much from the racquet itself.

Being sponsored by Prince, the lower stiffness allows poly's, and faster swing speeds without as much shock. At least that is my experience.

JackB1
03-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Well I revisited the Rebel 98, since it got such glowing reviews from the TW crew and others here on the forum and I though maybe I "missed something" with my previous try with it. I did like it more than previously, but it still falls short of the Warrior for me personally. I was misshitting much more often and maybe that extra hoop space that the 100" Warrior has really helps me? The Rebel 98 is very narrow and I think it actually plays more like a 95 than a 98. The sweet spot feels smaller and more defined than the Warrior's, which feels huge in comparison. But the biggest factor for me was serve. The Warrior just fills me with confidence when serving and I seem to get a few more mph's with it. So I have to say the winner and still champion....The EXO Warrior 100!

syke
03-23-2012, 06:52 AM

With the ports, 56 is pretty ok.
On other racquets, it's definitely a big no no...

keithfival
03-23-2012, 07:39 AM
I was misshitting much more often and maybe that extra hoop space that the 100" Warrior has really helps me? The Rebel 98 is very narrow and I think it actually plays more like a 95 than a 98.

Ditto. I was hitting so many mishits with the 98, when I actually have no problem with that even with the Rebel 95, like zero mishits! Something about the severely oval head really threw me. I did find tons of pace and spin and found it as soft on the arm as could be (surprised to hear this being an issue for some) but the head shape was just too awkward for me. Inside out forehands and low volleys were just mishit city.

JackB1
03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Ditto. I was hitting so many mishits with the 98, when I actually have no problem with that even with the Rebel 95, like zero mishits! Something about the severely oval head really threw me. I did find tons of pace and spin and found it as soft on the arm as could be (surprised to hear this being an issue for some) but the head shape was just too awkward for me. Inside out forehands and low volleys were just mishit city.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had this problem :-)

Is there any "advantage" to a very oval frame?

Larrysümmers
03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
the rebel seems to play more of a "players tweener" while the warrior seems to play more straight up "tweener"like. you guys get that impression too?

keithfival
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
the rebel seems to play more of a "players tweener" while the warrior seems to play more straight up "tweener"like. you guys get that impression too?

If by "players" you mean harder to use then, yes I agree!

JackB1
03-23-2012, 01:24 PM

I agree.

Both great racquets though.