PDA

View Full Version : Ashe and Nastase - rackets thru career?

Frankc
02-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Just enjoying the Nastase and Ashe US Open match - Ashe with his Head Comp and Nasty sporting a Dunlop Fort...
Curious, I remember seeing Ashe with a Budge and the Head ... any other frames? Any ideas on years?
Same with Nastase - I remember the Adidas and the Dunlop... other frames and the years?
Did see Nastase at the Open, later years, with a Graphite Adidas...
Thanks , interesting with the players of that era and their racket shifts and $$s...

Devilito
02-15-2012, 08:35 AM
that match is awesome. Such aggressive and powerful play

gavna
02-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Ashe used a Kramer in the 60s and then the Head Comp until he had to retire. Nastase started using the adidas Halliet in the early 70s which then was renamed the Nastase Competition (it's the brown and gold model 040) - at one point in the very early 80s he also used the a metal adidas frame that was in fact the exact frame as the PDP open that Tanner used but only with a blue throat piece (I just cannot remember the model name). In the mid 80s I remember him switching frames almost every week and at the FO in 83 he was using he adidas GTX Lendl frame.

Limpinhitter
02-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Ashe used a Kramer in the 60s and then the Head Comp until he had to retire. Nastase started using the adidas Halliet in the early 70s which then was renamed the Nastase Competition (it's the brown and gold model 040) - at one point in the very early 80s he also used the a metal adidas frame that was in fact the exact frame as the PDP open that Tanner used but only with a blue throat piece (I just cannot remember the model name). In the mid 80s I remember him switching frames almost every week and at the FO in 83 he was using he adidas GTX Lendl frame.

My understanding is that Nastase's Adidas racquets were Dunlop Fort's made for Adidas. I also read an article (probably World Tennis Magazine) back in the early 70's that Nastase cut a half inch off the butt of his racquets for more control.

treblings
02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Just enjoying the Nastase and Ashe US Open match - Ashe with his Head Comp and Nasty sporting a Dunlop Fort...
Curious, I remember seeing Ashe with a Budge and the Head ... any other frames? Any ideas on years?
Same with Nastase - I remember the Adidas and the Dunlop... other frames and the years?
Did see Nastase at the Open, later years, with a Graphite Adidas...
Thanks , interesting with the players of that era and their racket shifts and $$s...

pardon my ignorance, but who produced a Budge? named after Don Budge i presume, but never heard of that racket.

gavna
02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
My understanding is that Nastase's Adidas racquets were Dunlop Fort's made for Adidas. I also read an article (probably World Tennis Magazine) back in the early 70's that Nastase cut a half inch off the butt of his racquets for more control.

I was given a frame from Nastase in the late 70s when I ballboyed at the USO and WCT events for him. It's not a Dunlop PJ - I don't know how to post pics but I can send u a pics via email of the last one I have. I also heard the Dunlop/Adidas story here on these boards but the Halliet and Nastase Adidas models are soo different than the maxplys, I also used the Adidas models in the Jrs and they were the same he was using.
Also he has been using Head products more recently at some events - saw him play with Bharami in Paris and he was using some huge Head frame.

robow7
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
When did the Head Ashe composite racquet come out? I remember a couple kids on my high school tennis team with them in 72'. I also remember them prone to warp and they were expensive.

Edit: ah, I found it, 69 or 70'

rdis10093
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM

why did ashe have to retire?

Migelowsky
02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
The Arthur Ashe was my first real racket, I got it for Christmas in 85,
It was new but I guess at the time each model had a very long life.
Another friend had the Arthur Ashe 2 , that one was red.
I bought recently one, I remember being 11 and super small and skinny
and the racket didn´t seem heavy at all, until now that I played with it
again. I think I was better then.
I love the minimalistic design with sharp boxy edges.

http://www.picamatic.com/show/2012/02/15/11/32/8228658_480x800.jpg

http://www.picamatic.com/show/2012/02/15/11/31/8228657_800x600.jpg

Frankc
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
treblings,
I may be wrong, but I remember a pic of early Ashe NCAA or so using a Wilson Don Budge (?) model. I'm testing the memory here, but there was another frame besides the Kramer that played a bit stiffer in the shaft - wasn't that the Budge model? What model did Stan Smith play? I believe that was the same racket.

treblings
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
treblings,
I may be wrong, but I remember a pic of early Ashe NCAA or so using a Wilson Don Budge (?) model. I'm testing the memory here, but there was another frame besides the Kramer that played a bit stiffer in the shaft - wasn't that the Budge model? What model did Stan Smith play? I believe that was the same racket.

interesting, i´ll have a look at küblers book of rackets tomorrow to see if i can come up with some information

gavna
02-15-2012, 03:39 PM
why did ashe have to retire?

Heart condition - ran in his family - he had a heart attack in 1979 and bypass surgery at the end of the year. He was in Egypt about a year or so later when he had a 2nd one that forced him to give up tennis permanently.
The also part of reason he died so young was during another heart surgery in 1983 he was given HIV infected blood and he lost his battle with AIDS 6 years later.

gavna
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
treblings,

Your right it was the one with the extra wood pallets on the shaft that was renamed the Stan Smith model in he early 70s. I have pics with him using it at Davis Cup and at the USO in the late 60s.

gavna
02-15-2012, 03:45 PM
When did the Head Ashe composite racquet come out? I remember a couple kids on my high school tennis team with them in 72'. I also remember them prone to warp and they were expensive.

Edit: ah, I found it, 69 or 70'

The first Ashe Competition came out in 1969.

JW10S
02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Ashe won the 1st US Open over Tom Okker using a Wilson Tony Trabert Autograph (that racquet later became the Stan Smith Autograph).

gavna
02-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Ashe won the 1st US Open over Tom Okker using a Wilson Tony Trabert Autograph (that racquet later became the Stan Smith Autograph).

Yep I just relooked at my pics and it's the Trabert - clearly see he name on the throat and the long wood pallets - but wasn't the Budge the same frame? Wilson had so many frame with the same design but different graphics. Even the Evert Autograph was just a Trabet/Smith model with a lighter setup but same long pallet up the shaft.

joe sch
02-15-2012, 04:59 PM
pardon my ignorance, but who produced a Budge? named after Don Budge i presume, but never heard of that racket.

Wilson produced many of the earlier famous player models like the Budge and Vines photo decal versions:

http://www.woodtennis.com/budge_vines/wilson_budge_vines_fp3.jpg

I believe there was also a later Wilson Budge model circa 1960s that you maybe remembering. I may have it but not a picture.

Limpinhitter
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
treblings,

I wonder if Budge actually used that racquet because when I went to Don Budge's tennis camp in about 74' his racquet was custop made for him by Rawlings to be a replica of the racquets he used in the 30's and 40's, 16oz, ridged wood handle, with strip of leather for a butt cap.

hoodjem
02-15-2012, 05:48 PM
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2012/02/15/11/31/8228657_800x600.jpgI had one of these in 1978. It was the brownish Head Comp II Boron.

Stiffer than steel. Gave me bad tennis elbow. I went back to wood.