PDA

View Full Version : BLX 6.1 95 - get the old or the new?

BC1
02-15-2012, 08:06 AM
It may be a little early for this question since they aren't even available in the States yet, but they will be in a few days and I'm ready to buy. I'm not sure if I should wait for the release of the new (2012) BLX 6.1 95 or buy the current/old one for $30 dollars less.

Is there a big difference in the two besides the PJ? (And to be clear, I'm not talking about the new Pro Staff line)?

If the upcoming 2012 BLX 6.1 95 has a lower swingweight or static weight then I will definitely wait, but they seem to be very close, and with the Quality Control issues there's no guarantee anyway.

Thanks for any feedback on both versions.

Larrysümmers
02-15-2012, 09:10 AM
the old one is more "muted" while the new one has more "feel"

ryushen21
02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
The new one feels fuller and seems to have better response. It is also a little less stiff.

ICanBeSerious
02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I have them both and yes they do have a noticable difference in the SW. Overall weight is the same, but the 2012 is much more easier to swing and a bit more flex. Logically it is more customizable than the old if you neen more weight but it is good enough, i don't propose it,
Definitely worths to wait and buy the new.
This is only for 16x18!

UCSF2012
02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
You can get the old version for under $100 brand new. This is a no-brainer.

JGads
02-15-2012, 11:49 AM
If money's no issue, I prefer the new one. Not by a gigantic margin, but there is a margin.

Or: you could buy the old one and have TW find you one that has the lowest swingweight possible. (for an extra 10 bucks)

stormholloway
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Shouldn't these be significantly different given that the new frame is a box beam?

Power Player
02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Shouldn't these be significantly different given that the new frame is a box beam?

This thread is about the 6.1.

You are talking about the new Pro staff 95.

Ross K
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I have them both and yes they do have a noticable difference in the SW. Overall weight is the same, but the 2012 is much more easier to swing and a bit more flex. Logically it is more customizable than the old if you neen more weight but it is good enough, i don't propose it,
Definitely worths to wait and buy the new.
This is only for 16x18!

Hmm, this would get me voting for the new version.

bluetrain4
02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I've posted this several times on the various threads -- the new 6.1 is clearly easier-swinging (SW dropped from 338 to 324 (wow!) and balance increased from 8 pts headlight to 10 pts). I play tested it and it was the very first thing I noticed.

Both are very solid, both are good sticks. "Feel" is slightly different, but whichever one feels better (if you care at all) is going to be all personal preference

So, if you are fine with the manueverablility of the old 6.1 95 and it doesn't feel at all cumbersome, go with that one.

Sometimes I think its better to play with frames without knowing the specs in advance, since it lets you judge the racket on its own merits and not let preconceive notions come into play. Before play testing the new BLX 6.1 95, I would have thought 10 pts headlight would have been too headlight for me (I remember hating the Prince EXO3 Ignite because it was 11 pts headlight and just too whippy). But, I didn't know the specs and loved it, and will buy it in a few weeks.

Also, I'd urge people to consider the 18x20 as well. I know, modern game, more spin, open string patterns, etc., but the new 6.1 is pretty powerful and since it's easier to generate head speed and thereby spin and power, the 18x20 shouldn't be overlooked. I was dead set on the 16x18, but I've been using a KFactor 6.1 18x20 and NCode 6.1 18x20 these past few weeks and my curisoity is getting the best of me. I'm sure I'll opt for the 16x18 to start, but, again, no one should eliminate the possiblity of the 18x20 thinking that power and spin will be impossible to come by.

stormholloway
02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
This thread is about the 6.1.

You are talking about the new Pro staff 95.

No.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Pro_Staff_SixOne_95_BLX/descpageRCWILSON-WPS95.html

That says Six One. It's a box beam. The last one wasn't.

JGads
02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
^^

Is there a big difference in the two besides the PJ? (And to be clear, I'm not talking about the new Pro Staff line)?

He's not talking about that frame. See above.

chrisberchris
02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
All I know is that I want one! I love my k95

Power Player
02-15-2012, 07:17 PM
No.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Pro_Staff_SixOne_95_BLX/descpageRCWILSON-WPS95.html

That says Six One. It's a box beam. The last one wasn't.

Thats weird since the demo i played didnt have a box beam. :oops:

bad_call
02-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Thats weird since the demo i played didnt have a box beam. :oops:

we demoed a different blacked out wilson...maybe this link.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_BLX_SixOne_95_BLX_16x18/descpageRCWILSON-WSO95O.html

stormholloway
02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
See Wilson has made things confusing with their terms. 6.0 should have remained the box beams and 6.1 the rounded beams.

bluetrain4
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
See Wilson has made things confusing with their terms. 6.0 should have remained the box beams and 6.1 the rounded beams.

Good point. They could have just called it the BLX Prostaff 6.0, or the simply the BLX Prostaff. I've seen a lot of people confuse the two Six.One 95s (Prostaff and non-Prostaff).

jonahnaturals
02-16-2012, 05:55 AM
You can get the old version for under $100 brand new. This is a no-brainer.

Where can one purchase the old version for this price? Thanks.

BC1
02-16-2012, 06:40 AM
I hope all of this talk about the "New" one being a lower swingweight is true - but I have my doubts. I just checked the official wilson website, and according to Wilson the new 6.1 blx 95 specs are identical to the old one.
And the 16x18 specs are the exact same as the 18x20. However on TW they are listing the 16x18 as lighter and with a much lower SW (324 compared to 332).

Wilson states all of the racquets are
12.3 strung
9 points HL
According to Wilson, both string patterns are the same weight and balance, and old and new models are the same weight and balance - they do not list SW. And they do not mention in their description about the new one being lighter in any way.

So... Is this just another example of Wilson's poor quality control?
Are the TW specs (and others opinions) based on racquets that were lighter then what they are supposed to be? (I know TW takes 5 racquets and gets the average for their specs).
Or did wilson actually lower the Swingweight (at least in the 16x18 version) without changing the other specs?

Is it all based on luck and the racquet you are sent/pick? I guess to play it safe, you need to pay the extra $10 bucks and have TW pick you out the lightest and lowest SW they can find - whether its the old or new version.

I wish TW would comment on this - PLEASE!
Are there any "real" differences in weight and/or SW? or is it just a new PJ with "amplifeel". (And as I originally stated, i am NOT talking about the new pro staff line). Maybe the Amplifeel is really something and not just marketing, and maybe it really improves the overall feel - making it seem more manueverable and easier to swing. IDK.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and feedback - please keep it coming - there is no doubt the 6.1 is a great racquet, new or old.

ryushen21
02-16-2012, 07:38 AM
^^In terms of how they actually swing, it is very similar. I would say that the old BLX feels a blt more HL and whippier. The newer one feels like it has a little more plow but still plenty quick through contact. The overall racket feel in the new one is better for me since it is not quite as stiff and plays more to my liking.

One thing to consider with TW's specs is that they take an average of multiple frames so this should account for some of the differences in what you are seeing.

ICanBeSerious
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
BC1, there is no need TW to comment on this. TW is always right.
And yes it's true that even the specs that are written on the racket say the same balance. But it is not.
The 16x18 feels like o total different racket. And it's not only the "feel".
If you hold both of them with your finger in the middle you can see clearly that they balance differently.
As owner of both i can confirm this.
I don't know about the 18x20.

ICanBeSerious
02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
^^In terms of how they actually swing, it is very similar. I would say that the old BLX feels a blt more HL and whippier.

I disagree...

ICanBeSerious
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Sorry, you probably talking about the 18x20 which is true (according to tw also :))

damn..why i cant edit my msg..

BC1
02-16-2012, 04:37 PM
And yes it's true that even the specs that are written on the racket say the same balance. But it is not.
If you hold both of them with your finger in the middle you can see clearly that they balance differently.

I can be serious, thanks, I too believe tw is usually right, that is why i was hoping for a confirmation from them that there is no change in weight or balance or SW.

Do you think it is possible that you got a racquet that was lighter and just not up to specs due to quality control? Have you tried more then one new 6.1?

ryushen21
02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Sorry, you probably talking about the 18x20 which is true (according to tw also :))

damn..why i cant edit my msg..

Indeed I am referring to the 18x20.

TheOneHander
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Keep in mind, though, that this can be due to Wilson's poor QC.

ICanBeSerious
02-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I can be serious, thanks, I too believe tw is usually right, that is why i was hoping for a confirmation from them that there is no change in weight or balance or SW.

Do you think it is possible that you got a racquet that was lighter and just not up to specs due to quality control? Have you tried more then one new 6.1?

I have tried only one-with-one racquet and also i haven't measure their weights to see the difference in the overall weight. (although both seem the same to me but my hand doesn't have gram accuracy :p)
But the balance point is definately not the same, i can assure you.
Before i bought the new one from TW-E i had already read several posts here with other users confirming this, so i don't think that this is poor QC or a random case.
Hopefully more can confirm this when this reaches usa..20/2 as i see..

Torres
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM

But that can be manufacturing variance, not necessarily intended spec.