PDA

View Full Version : Very impressed with the Wilson Pro Staff Six.One 100 BLX

McEnborg
02-15-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm an older 4.5-5.0 player approaching 50. I can't handle a heavier racket as I once did and was looking for what I would consider to be an "Advanced Tweener" racket. Man, does this stick do the trick.

It has some of that old "pro-staff" feel in terms of control and touch. It has the thinner 21-22 mm beam that helps it feel a little more "scapel" like. Ideally, I probably like 19-20mm wide beams the most but they are 1) either too heavy for me or 2) too underpowered.

This racket comes in at 10.8-10.9 oz. strung with vibration dampener. Balance feels great and it is very easy to swing. Good power as well with a solid swing. Excellent for spin and on serving. The 100 sq. inch head feels about perfect.

Anybody else play with this? I realize it might be too light for some younger, more advanced players. But, for an aging advanced player, it feels just right.

heat010
02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Had a week with this frame, the Steam 100 (close 2nd choice), the Juice 100 and the Ezone XI 98.

This frame's a winner. I tend to really hit out all the time and often I over hit by a little bit based on my swing. This frame controls the power and I can rip with great swing speed, spin and depth. It handcuffed some heavy servers since the ball came back to them right at their feet as they finished their stroke. Super delicate and scalpel like on volleys. My forehand was a monster with this frame. Easy to hit topspin on my serve since it is so light and balanced.

heat010
02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Just finished over 2 hours of hitting. Just got my new frame strung with a full bed of Babolat VS 17 gut at 56 lbs. I know it's a thin string, but I really wanted to max out the spin potential.

Ungodly great light racket, unbelievable touch. I started spinning the frame in my hand like the great Federer. Felt so controlled in my hand. I really could direct my shots with great accuracy.

I can also absorb powerful shots and redirect them. The real eye opener is that this frame got me to start serve and volleying which I've never really done. I'm usually a baseline hitter that pounds approach shots to take the net, but tonight the frame was so easy to serve with and the balance so perfect, I was taking the net with promising results.

Also got pulled super wide on shots where all I could do was hit a low slice and a few turned into touch drop shots. Also I'm a two hander on my backhand, but there were some really high backhands that all I could do is hit a high slice and with the frame and string I got really great depth with strong grab once it hit the pavement.

Beautiful acquisition from all my collection of wide body frames and Yonex's.

A great frame found a great home.

bertrevert
02-21-2012, 11:42 PM
How did that stiffness of 65 feel? I imagine ok but I remember a Wilson k6.1 95 giving my elbow pain as if hit with a ball peen hammer. (Was the poly strings as well.)

How much power were you getting from it? (The gut would be giving it some oomph as well as spin.)

Can you contrast with any other racquets? Or at least what was the last one you used as successfully this one?

The reason I ask about stiffness is I haven't given it enough time but my Instinct at 69 stiffness has been killing me...

bertrevert
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Also how did you go with the 27.25inch length - noticeable or not?

heat010
02-22-2012, 07:24 AM
The feel from a 65 stiffness rating really felt dampened. I have elbow issues myself and the frame felt comfortable, but not ultra mushy. The gut does soften it quite a bit as well.

The extra length really didn't feel as noticable as other Wilson frame (the widebodies) that I have that are somewhat extended too. The fact that it's a player's width frame made the it feel very standard and classic in feeling.

Have fun on the demo of it. I really put it through its paces against 3 other frames and this one really came out on top.

bertrevert
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
So would you say it is relatively low powered?

eg. compared to a Radical, something like that...

heat010
02-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I have a fairly mid to quick swing speed and have a tendency to over hit because of the power of some of my other frames. This one I can hit full out and it provides me the dwell time and contol on my shots where I can really put super strong spin on my shots. It has helped me out when I have had to run full out from a lob and throw a shot up and it still lands in and especially on high driving topspin moonballs where it kicks and pushes my opponent back for a short return. Nice controlled frame flex and ultra maneuverable.