PDA

View Full Version : preparing for a singles match

double barrels
02-15-2012, 08:36 AM
I haven't played a singles match in forever. I have been running lately and eating somewhat healthier than normal.
I have a match around 630 this evening, and its about an hour drive to get there. Whats the best strategy to get ready for this match and what do you recommend I should eat?

I was thinking eat around 5, drive, get there around 6 so I have some time to wake up from the car ride and stretch. is that too early or late to eat?

I really don't have a clue for my gameplan, just going to get returns early not go for big time aggressive returns. Maybe serve and volley 1/3rd of the time. I don't visualize my shot in the other players view enough, so I am going to try and do that real quick between points.

I really want to use this singles match so I can practice backhands (esp bh returns), short angles, and kick serves

SystemicAnomaly
02-16-2012, 01:21 AM
I guess you should have posted this 2 or 3 days ago. Oh well.

double barrels
02-16-2012, 04:19 AM
lol
it's all good.
lost 7-6 (11) 6-2. not bad for my first singles match in a long time to a 5.0 player, considering I made about 40+ unforced errors. My patience was about as short as my second serve toss when I was double faulting.

Jack Romeo
02-16-2012, 07:03 AM
i've been primarily a doubles player for the past 4 years. but recently, i've been trying to play a little more singles as well. i admit, it's tough. it's like i know what to do but can't execute well. all my targets are meant for the doubles court. i can't seem to measure my shots within the singles sidelines. this leads to me hitting primarily down the center, allowing my opponents to take control of the rallies. i have to counterpunch. this would have been fine about seven years ago, but now, i need to be the one controlling the rallies as i'm now the one getting winded after long exchanges. i try to hit with more power but it doesn't matter if the shot isn't well placed. i just need to get used to it again, get used to the targets on the singles court again.

double barrels
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
i've been primarily a doubles player for the past 4 years. but recently, i've been trying to play a little more singles as well. i admit, it's tough. it's like i know what to do but can't execute well. all my targets are meant for the doubles court. i can't seem to measure my shots within the singles sidelines. this leads to me hitting primarily down the center, allowing my opponents to take control of the rallies. i have to counterpunch. this would have been fine about seven years ago, but now, i need to be the one controlling the rallies as i'm now the one getting winded after long exchanges. i try to hit with more power but it doesn't matter if the shot isn't well placed. i just need to get used to it again, get used to the targets on the singles court again.

Yea, same boat here. Exactly my problem, can't seem to hit short angles well at all and pick my targets. My patience is shot, I need to regain that. I end up pushing the ball, going for stupid slice shots, or just over hitting it, all because I am tired of being a bad singles player.
Couterpunching is where I still thrive, im young, and got the wheels. I think we could use a thread here, and get our singles game getting back.

My game goes from Safin mode, whether the winners are landing in or not, still the Safin attitude, to a lady like defense, constantly switching. If i played smarter, I would have been more happy losing 0 and 0.