PDA

View Full Version : Global Gut oilyness affecting grommets

JavierLW
02-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Is it possible that if you try to use a string that is very oily that it can do something to your grommets so if you try to string with a better Gut string that it will slide around and fray apart and break on you?

I seem to be experiencing that with one of my racquets. If this is what is happening, I am not sure how to correct this other then buy new grommets or maybe string with some non-gut for awhile and hope it cleans them out.

Ive actually usually had very good luck with Global Gut in the past, but I think I have finally found a batch that is not worthwhile. I had one premature breakage, and then on the second try (I strung with expensive stuff in between), when I got to the last main it sliped right out of my fixed clamp when I was going to tie the mains off.

I suppose it's a good time to clean all of my clamps as well.

esgee48
02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
I don't think the gut's coating is the problem. Oily residue should make the string slide thru the grommet easier. Can't see how it being slippery could make a string fray. FWIW, I spray furniture polish on a paper towel to clean frames before I string. Never had a problem.

If you think it's a problem, get a q-tip, dip it in rubbing alcohol, then push it gently thru the grommet. Clean it out, then inspect. You could have a damaged grommet where the string frayed or (not saying you did it) it could be due to clamp damage.

JavierLW
02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't think the gut's coating is the problem. Oily residue should make the string slide thru the grommet easier. Can't see how it being slippery could make a string fray. FWIW, I spray furniture polish on a paper towel to clean frames before I string. Never had a problem.

If you think it's a problem, get a q-tip, dip it in rubbing alcohol, then push it gently thru the grommet. Clean it out, then inspect. You could have a damaged grommet where the string frayed or (not saying you did it) it could be due to clamp damage.

Actually I am leaning more toward what you say at the end about clamp damage.

I have a Eagnas 910 dropweight with fixed clamps and ive probably done about 100 racquets and I cleaned the clamps at about 50 racquets.

And now that I think about it, the last 5 racquets I have done have all broken mains on the edge of the frame. This is spanning 3 different types of racquets and 2 of them were not even gut. (they were technifibre biphase)

What are some of the reasons that could cause that sort of trend? Ive never had this many break before in a row, especially with a non-gut string like biphase.

esgee48
02-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Fairly easy to tighten your clamps when the string starts to slip. So to prevent that, you basically force the flat surfaces of the clamps together with more pressure. But you also force the fairly sharp edges of the clamp into the string too if there is too much pressure. So you end up nicking the string and voila, there she breaks! I believe some TT posters clean their clamps after every 10-20 frames. 50 frames is a lot if you use oily strings. Just 2 cents.

MAX PLY
02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
First instinct should be to clean clamps--failing that, tighten little by little.