PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Racket Shipping Cost?

SJSA
02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I have to ship out a tennis racket to a neighbor state.
Which shipping method is the cheapest?
UPS, USPS, or FedEx?
Thanks.

gavna
02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I have to ship out a tennis racket to a neighbor state.
Which shipping method is the cheapest?
UPS, USPS, or FedEx?
Thanks.

U S Post office by far......priority mail 3 day delivery for a frame in a box Runs from $7 upto $12.

Seth
02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
U S Post office by far......priority mail 3 day delivery for a frame in a box Runs from $7 upto $12.

Seconded. Use balled-up newspaper for light packaging material.

coolblue123
02-16-2012, 02:58 AM
or just use two priority mail boxes. makes a perfect shell with some newspaper.

quest01
02-16-2012, 07:21 AM
USPS for me, whenever I sell a racquet I for the most part choose USPS priority mail because they pick up the package for free. In terms of packaging I do what others do and use two priority mail boxes or if I have one, an old TW box.

JackB1
02-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Agreed...US mail priority. Keep the weight down and you can ship 1 racquet for 5-6 beans.

jonestim
02-16-2012, 08:53 AM
The cheapest is USPS Parcel Post, but it is just slightly cheaper than Priority and not worth it in my opinion. I'd rather suck up the extra $.75 or so and have the buyer get it days earlier. Even to a neighboring state they often quote over a week by shipping parcel.

You save money if you pay for the postage online. If the person paid for the racquet via PayPal you can click on the link from PayPal to print the postage which saves you a bit on the postage itself and I believe gives you free tracking info. I don't recall if you get free tracking info from a USPS.com account but you do save anywhere from $.60 to $1 over paying at the post office.

Yourtenniscoach
02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
USPS is cheapest for both domestic and international shipping.

sundaypunch
02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
If you accept payment via Payal you also have to consider their requirements. You must have insurance, tracking and signature confirmation. This significantly increases the cost of Priority Mail. Without that a buyer can simply say that they didn't receive the item and Paypal will refund their money. Whether you do this comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept.

Seth
02-16-2012, 02:34 PM
USPS Delivery Confirmation costs .75 cents (went up from .70 cents on January 22). Absolutely worth it. As sundaypunch said, without it, buyer can file a claim and you'll have no evidence to support a defense.

In short: Two medium "shirt box" USPS Priority boxes taped together with light stuffing (balled-up newspaper). With Delivery Confirmation and insurance, you'll be out the door with minimal expense (compared to UPS or FedEx).

c_hari_c
02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Don't even think anything else. Just goto USPS priority mail. I had a recent experience where I had to ship a racket. UPS and Fedex don't even have boxes that fit the racket in correct size. You end up paying for the box, plus packaging fee, etc. Both of them quoted upwards of $30 to ship. So, I went to USPS - all you do is join two priority mail boxes and you have a perfect box that would fit 2 rackets. Would cost about $10 to $13 for most states for priority mail.

[d]ragon
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
And USPS flat rate boxes (the ones the posters above have mentioned) are free. Just order on the USPS website

loosegroove
02-16-2012, 08:27 PM
If you accept payment via Payal you also have to consider their requirements. You must have insurance, tracking and signature confirmation. This significantly increases the cost of Priority Mail. Without that a buyer can simply say that they didn't receive the item and Paypal will refund their money. Whether you do this comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept.

Not true, insurance is not required. However if the racket is lost or damaged the buyer can place a claim, and you have no insurance to fall back on. Also, signature confirmation is not required unless paypal payment is over $250, which would not apply in this case I assume. All they require is delivery confirmation/tracking which is cheap at the post office, or free if postage is purchased online.

loosegroove
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
ragon;6331395']And USPS flat rate boxes (the ones the posters above have mentioned) are free. Just order on the USPS website

Actually make sure NOT to grab the flat rate boxes. Otherwise you'll be charged for TWO flat rate boxes, which will be expensive. They have some free priority mail boxes that look like the rectangular flat rate boxes, but are for regular "weighed" priority shipping.

10isbum
02-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Many years ago, purchased a racket from a TW board member and to my surprise it arrived in a racket bag that the manufacturer used to provide with each racket sale. It just had a mailing label along with the postage stuck to the outside and the strap tucked inside with the racket. No additional stuffings other than the padding material which would come as part of the racket bag. Racket was shipped through the post office.

redbirdone
03-08-2012, 01:36 PM

I just spent $17.45 for priority with USPS...it was two racquets, but should only be a pound more, right? Does distance have anything to do with their rates? It was Tennessee to California.

Parcel post was $12 or so, but 7-10 day delivery.

mhj202
03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
I just spent $17.45 for priority with USPS...it was two racquets, but should only be a pound more, right? Does distance have anything to do with their rates? It was Tennessee to California.

Parcel post was $12 or so, but 7-10 day delivery.

The distance absolutely makes a difference for USPS priority.

diredesire
03-09-2012, 05:21 PM
The distance absolutely makes a difference for USPS priority.

Yep, they have "zones," same coast shipping is generally significantly cheaper.