PDA

View Full Version : leather grips

stewfoo412
02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't understand their purpose. I know that they add some weight but are there other advantages? Why is it that some people add a leather grip first thing to a racket?

slowfox
02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
To better feel the bevels.

tymmh789
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
It's really one of those things that you just need to try out and if you like then you keep doing it and if not then you don't. There aren't really advantages and disadvantages other than the difference in feel and whether or not you like it.

Cup8489
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Theyre awesome?

Seriously leather vs synthetic is entirely a preferential thing.. I would never have used them if they hadn't come with my POG mid.. and now I'm hooked (those calfskins on the POG are awful, btw..but they were a transition into the babolat/head leathers I use now.. I'd probably pick up some head finest calfskins if i could find them for a decent price)

Hi I'm Ray
02-15-2012, 11:50 PM
I was resistant to leather grips for many years too. But a year ago I tried one on my APDGT and got hooked. It just feels better imo, its hard to explain. They are also heavier than synthetic grips, so its useful for adding some weight to the handle of your frames. I don't add leather to my 12oz plus frames though, I don't want TOO much weight. They are also quite uncomfortable in weather below 45f for me. Last year I was playing in cold weather with a leather grip and after 1.5hr I was wondering why my grip felt a bit sticky, I looked down and there was blood all over my grip. I guess it gave me a blister. Kept playing but it sure wasn't comfortable.

Lambsscroll
02-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Theyre awesome?

Seriously leather vs synthetic is entirely a preferential thing.. I would never have used them if they hadn't come with my POG mid.. and now I'm hooked (those calfskins on the POG are awful, btw..but they were a transition into the babolat/head leathers I use now.. I'd probably pick up some head finest calfskins if i could find them for a decent price)

Do you use over-grips? If not which has more tackiness Head or Babolat?

Thepowerofchoice
02-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Any pro's using leather grip now beside Federer?

zcarzach
02-16-2012, 07:43 AM
I love using leather grips. No overgrips necessary. My hands don't sweat that much, but the tiny amount I do get gives the leather a nice tack. I like the Wilson leather grips because that is what I "grew up" with, so to speak. I've used synthetic but they are too mushy and wear out too fast. Leather just needs to be taken off, cleaned up, dried a bit and rewrapped once or twice a year. Thought about trying to dye one black but I wasn't sure if the dye would hold or if it would leach onto my hand.

Cup8489
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Do you use over-grips? If not which has more tackiness Head or Babolat?

I felt like the Head was probably the better of the two, a little thicker and doesn't seem to get slick so fast. I dont use OG's during colder months but once 80 degrees shows up i gotta use a tourna over them.

Cup8489
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Djokovic, Monfils, Gasquet, Berdych... there's plenty but i can't seem to think today./

jonestim
02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Thought about trying to dye one black but I wasn't sure if the dye would hold or if it would leach onto my hand.

Becker and Pacific both make black ones.

wao
02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't understand their purpose. I know that they add some weight but are there other advantages? Why is it that some people add a leather grip first thing to a racket?you feel the bevels better and they do add some additional weight. Some like them and others don't. I use fairway under mine with a tounagirp overgrip. Perfect for me.

bertrevert
02-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Recent convert: absolutely love the bevels, the feel, the solidity.

Immediate transitional downside was a bit of numbness at the bass of the middle finger, that joint or knuckle got a bit numb on the inside. After two weeks numbness now gone.

Note: leather definitely adds weight.

And tourna over the top is the least intrusive overgrip imaginable, it still transmits more feel than other grip combinations I've tried. I sweat lots. Am hoping that soon in Winter I'll use the leather bare...

rosewall4ever
02-17-2012, 05:24 AM
playing raw...likely to develop blisters then callouses, after which it becomes enjoyable to play with. the player gets 'broken in' by the leather so to speak. and not the other way around. lol

prjacobs
02-17-2012, 05:50 AM
As a professional musician, I can't use leather. Too concussive on my hand. Numbness, even short lived, isn't an option for me :).

Hi I'm Ray
02-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Hit with a ball machine yesterday & hit over 2000 balls (based on # of balls per load and # of reloads) & 3/4 of the way through my hand couldn't take it anymore with the leather grip. I work on and off in home remodeling business so I'm used to using my hands a lot too! I'm using a new forehand grip and guess I just don't have callouses in the right spots yet. Certainly a few downsides to leather mixed in with the good. Had to switch to a frame with a sythetic grip for the last 45min, but 2 hours later went back to the leather grip to play 1.5 hrs of singles :)

luishcorreia
02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Some say to better feel the bevels on the grip. Also they can be more heavy.

Its just a mental thing ..and a question of taste.

I always use an over grip..to tell you the truth I sometimes forget whats beneath them :)

alanl228
02-17-2012, 10:05 AM
I prefer leather + overgrip because of the more feedback compare to synthetic grips. I also prefer the idea of swapping the overgrip often once it lost tackiness (every 10-15 hours of play). I found replacing even the cheapest synthetic grip monthly cost much more even with the cheapest grip you can find. Leather + overgrip will enlarge the grip size somewhere from 1/2 a size to a full grip size.

gonzalocatalino
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Probably the 80-90% of the tour players are using leather grips.
I cant use anything but leather grips+thin og on all my racquets...