PDA

View Full Version : Rattle and leather grip problem.

Autumnleaf
02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
I just bought a new pro staff 95 from TW europe and it seems to have a problem as of now: there is a rattling sound, some kind of rough, low frequency vibration that does not seem to come from the handle. It happens when i hit the ball and I can recreate it by hitting my knee with the string bed. If I shake the racquet nothing happens. I'm positive it's not the handle as I tried to remove the butt cap or hold it firmly and there's still the same noise, which does not come from the handle but from an upper part of the racquet. I don't want to cut the strings right now as it is a fresh full gut string job. Any suggestions? Should I return it straight away?

I also have a second problem but this seems due to my incompetence. I wanted to replace the grip (the pro staff comes with a hybrid) with a volkl leather grip. I took the stock grip off but when i started wrapping the volkl it was too stiff so I basically made a big wrinkle around the buttcap, making the grip to big and irregular. I had to give up obviously and put the wilson back on.
Any suggestions here? Do volkl leather grips commonly have this problem? What brand can you suggest that isn't so stiff and hard to pull?

Autumnleaf
02-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Update: if I put a dampener on the noise goes away.

Andreas1965
02-16-2012, 07:56 AM
I also have a second problem but this seems due to my incompetence. I wanted to replace the grip (the pro staff comes with a hybrid) with a volkl leather grip. I took the stock grip off but when i started wrapping the volkl it was too stiff so I basically made a big wrinkle around the buttcap, making the grip to big and irregular. I had to give up obviously and put the wilson back on.
Any suggestions here? Do volkl leather grips commonly have this problem? What brand can you suggest that isn't so stiff and hard to pull?
Recently I was lucky enough to find some Fairway leather grips, these are really the best.

http://up.picr.de/9501695kbn.jpg

With your Volkl: try soaking the leather in hot water, and then wrap the wet basegrip. Because of being warm and wet, it will be much easier to wrap. Plus, after it has dried, it'll shrink a little bit, so you'll have the perfect fit leather basegrip.

CDestroyer
02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
All leather grips are stiff and hard to put on. Just take it off and put the leather grip back on, take your time, maintain tension on the grip when wrapping so you won't have wrinkles and try to get the spacing even. No sweat.

Autumnleaf
02-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Recently I was lucky enough to find some Fairway leather grips, these are really the best.

http://up.picr.de/9501695kbn.jpg

With your Volkl: try soaking the leather in hot water, and then wrap the wet basegrip. Because of being warm and wet, it will be much easier to wrap. Plus, after it has dried, it'll shrink a little bit, so you'll have the perfect fit leather basegrip.

Won't the glue get dissolved or weakened by hot water?

Autumnleaf
02-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for your answers. Any clue about the first problem?