PDA

View Full Version : True or False: A stiff racquet will become softer over time.

Yourtenniscoach
02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm curious if my rationale is wrong here. Take a stiff racquet like a PDR or an APD for example, if you played with them regularly and they didn't break, would they break down and become softer (less stiff) eventually or will a stiff racquet always be stiff? :confused:

RacketFever
02-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I guess due to repeated stringing, the stiffness might drop a teeny bit. Not sure, just my guess.

CDestroyer
02-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Have read that the stretching of the racquet during stringing makes it a little more flexible. Its not rubber.

rich s
02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm curious if my rationale is wrong here. Take a stiff racquet like a PDR or an APD for example, if you played with them regularly and they didn't break, would they break down and become softer (less stiff) eventually or will a stiff racquet always be stiff? :confused:

Yes, it will become softer.... over time the matrix develops cracks (from repeated hitting and stringing) thus reducing the stiffness of the racquet.

Whether you are able to discern the reduction in stiffness is another question.....

Lambsscroll
02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Probably not enough to make a difference. Pete Sampras used the older version ( Saint Vincent) of the Pro Staff 85 for the majority of his career.

sureshs
02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
It has to. The graphite fibers slowly break down into smaller pieces.

klementine
02-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes. Which is why James Blake had a hard time finding replacements for his dunlops and probably why DelPo can't give up his old frames.

I notice it whenever I get back-up sticks. They're more responsive, stiffer and powerful. After about 2-3 months of hitting and stringing they become more pliable, in the most subtle of ways.

Xpherex
02-16-2012, 10:22 AM
well so I guess a flex racket will become even more flex

Snaab
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Airplanes deal with "metal fatigue" while tennis rackets deal with "graphite fatigue". Yes, it will soften over time. I think Agassi was another player who liked his older, more broken in frames.

cork_screw
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah they're just like fruit, just keep telling yourself that. You just have to wait because they're not ripe yet.

Fuji
02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Ask Jolly!

Yes frames do flex out after a few years. I have a pair of frames that flexed out and they don't compare to the new one I have. New ones are a lot stiffer with more power.

-Fuji

flashfire276
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, and no.
Frames will "flex out" overtime. But this is from deterioration from constant impacts with the ball. It won't become flexier as in RA flex, but it would just lose stability.

PrinceMoron
02-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Becker had rackets made to match his favourite well worn rackets. TWH had one (only) for sale. I guess any racket Becker played with for a little while would be more flexible than out of the bag.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/vlogpage.html?ccode=VLOG262

luishcorreia
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes frames do flex out after a few years. But in a bad way.

In a "losing their material properties" kind of way...

sureshs
02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Airplanes deal with "metal fatigue" while tennis rackets deal with "graphite fatigue".

I would take the latter any time

LeeD
02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Worn out new style rackets...
Is it the increased flex we feel?
Or is it the DECREASED springback that we feel?