PDA

View Full Version : New TW Spec? String density

blipblop
02-16-2012, 07:08 AM
I am posting to gather thoughts on a new spec that vendors should supply customers with. Namely, I was thinking about how, often times, the way the strings are distributed across the stringbed is more important than the pattern itself.

For instance, I have seen 16 X 19 frames that have a denser pattern in the middle than 18 X 20 frames in the same headsize. Of course near the edges the "rectangles" formed by the strings would be very big in such a racket. I have also seen rackets that have a very even pattern throughout.

So I was wondering, should stores come up with a spec that more or less tries to describe how the strings are distributed? For those more technically inclined, think of it as a String Density Distribution Function.

I would imagine mains and crosses would have their own functions. I would also imagine that the origin point would be the center or densest part of the racket. Past that though, I have no real idea at how this "function" could be defined for each racket.

Just my ponderings...

Xpherex
02-16-2012, 11:02 AM
I think it's important I bought 16X18 95 inch head size and I thought it was open enough but it's closed more than 18X20 from some other brands.

I bought yonex rqis tour 1

Anton
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
I think simply a better picture where you can clearly see the string pattern is all that's needed.

Bartelby
02-16-2012, 03:40 PM
String patterns on the photos are super-imposed.

Large spaces on the edges would contribute to liveliness and it is both spin and liveliness that wider spacing is supposed to deliver.

blipblop
02-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I think simply a better picture where you can clearly see the string pattern is all that's needed.

Heh, good point. I guess I was going a bit overboard with the spec, but I still do think it's something that is not yet up to par for how important it is. Better pictures of the string patterns should definitely be a bare minimum. Even for those of us who have the ability to demo, it helps pick which ones to demo.

SFrazeur
02-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I've been calling for this for a couple of years now.

-SF

travlerajm
02-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I absolutely agree.

I buy my racquets as platforms for customization. I can lead any frame up to my desired weighting, but I can't change much about the string pattern.
String pattern density in the center of the stringbed is a crucial spec.

Let's move this thread to the TW Questions board and put in a poll, and use the poll to start a petition.

I'd prefer to see measurement of the distances between 8 center mains and 8 center crosses. But I'd settle for racquet photos that include the stringbed. The unstrung images would be much more useful if the strings were pictured, rather than the deceptive photoshopped images with patterns dropped in but not to scale.

Recoveringhobo
02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Photos of the stringbed would have to be from the same exact distance every time to give us any perspective.

This wouldn't be too hard to do. Hell, we could do this on the forum ourselves.

travlerajm
02-18-2012, 05:31 PM
I've found that I can get useful info by measuring the distance between the 8 center grommets on the screen, and then measuring the racquet length on the screen to get a scale.

This works well as long as your screen does not have a distorted aspect ratio (which can be checked by seeing whether a circle appears circular or not).

Douggo
02-19-2012, 06:50 AM
This is exactly what I've been looking for. I need to find a racquet similar in spec, and as open in the center, as the Prince TT Vendetta OS, which seems to be no easy task. May have to start with a TT Bandit OS and some lead.