PDA

View Full Version : Optimal racquetbalance for hard flat hitters?

Dan_dolme
02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
What is the optimal racquetbalance for hard flat hitters ?

Larrysümmers
02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
how ever head heavy or head light that particular player prefers

Sreeram
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I hit both flat and spin. I use spin to ralley FH and suddenly flaten it out to hit winner. I don't think the racquet balance will affect flat shots, Make sure the racquet has decent mass in the head. I have a 12 oz with 8 pts HL and it is perfect to flatten out both BH and FH.

fuzz nation
02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Racquet balance by itself doesn't make one frame better or worse than another without also knowing other things, including the racquet's weight. I also like to know the flex rating in a frame and those three specs can usually combine to predict the behavior of most gear for me.

I've always enjoyed a heavier racquet with significant HL balance - my current Volkl C10's are 12.5 oz. and 10 pts. HL - but that much HL balance in a lighter alternative might seem ridiculously twitchy and unstable. Look at some less hefty racquets and they have a lot less HL balance in their stock layouts. The BLX Blade 98 lists at 11.3 oz. and 2 pts. HL while the current Pure Drive lists at 11.1 oz. and 4 pts. HL.

It could certainly be the case that a flat hitter might prefer only moderate HL balance in a somewhat hefty package to have enough mass to really thump the ball, but if that player wants better handling for net play, etc. that frame can feel slow without "enough" HL balance. Everyone has their own preference.

Power Player
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Fuzz, great points. I think the general rule of thumb is this :

Lighter- more head heavy
Heavy- more head light

If you want to hit flat, get a lower powered control stick like the dunlop 200, and adjust the tension to your liking.