PDA

View Full Version : Att: TW playtester Mark...

marc tressard
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
So what are those 5 or so rackets that you say "give me the chuuckle" (those that really are an "extension of the arm"). You mentioned the YoutekIG Prestige Mid.

TW Staff
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the inquiry in regards to which other racquets in our system,
I qualify as being a veritable "extension of my arm", besides the newer Head IG Prestige Mid.

Between the new 2012 Wilson BLX six.one 95 (18x20 pattern), the Dunlop4D Aero Gel 200, Wilson BLX Pro Staff Tour 90, both mid/mid-plus IG Prestige's, and the older Volkl Power Bridge 10 mid; I could play tennis for the rest of my middle aged life, and never need any more variety than that. I do stand corrected though, being that I listed six frames.

The reason I qualified them as such, is that they are all are very
stable, even on off center contact of the ball, predictable, and worked well
with a variety of string material and tension configurations. Overall, I
liked the their qualities from most parts of the court. There are quite a
few high quality frames out for the 2012 year, and for me, these stand out
among the rest of them.

Sincerely,

Mark Boone, TW

wao
02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi Marc,

I qualify as being a veritable "extension of my arm", besides the newer Head IG Prestige Mid.

Between the new 2012 Wilson BLX six.one 95 (18x20 pattern), the Dunlop4D Aero Gel 200, Wilson BLX Pro Staff Tour 90, both mid/mid-plus IG Prestige's, and the older Volkl Power Bridge 10 mid; I could play tennis for the rest of my middle aged life, and never need any more variety than that. I do stand corrected though, being that I listed six frames.

among the rest of them.

Sincerely,

Mark Boone, TW Mark you mentioned the both mid/mid-plus IG Prestige's and not the Pro version intresting. I found that with the mid and pro but not as much with the MP.

RoughOG
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Mark you mentioned the 2012 BLX six.one 95, wondering why you didn't mention the previous version. Please tell us the differences you felt in the sticks. (:

BigM
02-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Hi Marc,

among the rest of them.

Sincerely,

Mark Boone, TW

Great post Mark I really enjoy your in depth well considered responses on racket reviews.

BigM

TW Staff
02-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Mark you mentioned the both mid/mid-plus IG Prestige's and not the Pro version intresting. I found that with the mid and pro but not as much with the MP.

Thanks for the response,

In terms of why, or whether I prefer the mid/ mid-plus IG Prestige's over the Pro, I can only answer like this; I play really well with all of them, and used to swing the Pro (Micro Gel version), but I have since preferred the more dense string patterns. I have recently played with a TGK Prestige mid, with an open pattern, and loved it, so I am still somewhat pattern agnostic, so to speak.

TW Staff
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Mark you mentioned the 2012 BLX six.one 95, wondering why you didn't mention the previous version. Please tell us the differences you felt in the sticks. (:

Thanks for the reply,

At the time the previous models of the BLX six.one 95's first arrived, I was playing with open patterns, and slightly larger head sizes (Head YOUTEK Speed Pro). I have since favored a smaller head size, and I also gravitate towards dense string patterns. Once I began playing with 95 square inch heads, or smaller, racquet's like the six.one 95's, opened my eyes to more stable set ups, and actually helped refine how often I make contact in the sweet spot.

In terms of the differences I feel, between the two models that incorporate basalt into the weave of graphite; I find them to be more alike than not. If I compare either BLX model to the K Factor, or nCode, I can note more of a difference. The K Factor six.one 95's felt stiffer, to the point of it becoming a source of power to the player, and I had less range of choice for string/ tension before the whole set up felt stiff. The flex rating of the K Factor six.one 95 reflected the same thing I felt, as it was close to 70, where the BLX six.one 95's have a more muted feel/ sound.

Most frame manufacturer's seem to be developing technologies that curb how much vibration that reaches the player, and I would say that Wilson pretty much achieved what they were after with all versions of the BLX six.one's.

To me the differences between the 2012 six.one 95, and the prior example, is that they are just a bit easier to swing for a wider range of players, with each iteration. The 2012 has an incrementally, more plush feel than the past two versions, and the balance point has shifted to drop the swing weight a bit too.

adso1973
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey Mark, have you ever tried the Storm family? how would you compare it with the ones you mentioned?

Thanks!