PDA

View Full Version : Lead for Biomimetic 300 Tour

PigPen
02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I am currently demoing the Biomimetic 300 Tour. I like the racket but the sweetspot seems a little small. Also hitting the ball on the upper part of the frame produces a dead feel.

I play an aggressive all court game, a one-handed backhand mediu pace and medium spin. Like to flatten out a short ball with my forehand in singles. Also play quite a bit of doubles and enjoy serve and volley.

I wanted to keep the racket well under 12 oz. I was wondering where and how much lead would be recommended to perhaps increase the size and/or move the sweetspot while keeping the headlight balance.

Thank you in advance.

un6a
02-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Hi, i found that these dunlop 300 Tour racquets really lack weight in the 12 area. Prior i leaded it up at 3&9 positions (6g total), but 3g at 12 feels better. Racquet swings more natural, higher hoop feels more responsive and power is a bit higher.
But racquet is not much stable on off-center shots, because sweetspot is narrow. Ideally one would slap some lead at 3&9 and at 12 too, but this just dosn't feel right.
U also need add few grams to the handle (or just use heavier replacement grip) to maintain original balance.

tom4ny
02-17-2012, 05:38 AM
I am currently demoing the Biomimetic 300 Tour. I like the racket but the sweetspot seems a little small. Also hitting the ball on the upper part of the frame produces a dead feel.

I play an aggressive all court game, a one-handed backhand mediu pace and medium spin. Like to flatten out a short ball with my forehand in singles. Also play quite a bit of doubles and enjoy serve and volley.

I wanted to keep the racket well under 12 oz. I was wondering where and how much lead would be recommended to perhaps increase the size and/or move the sweetspot while keeping the headlight balance.

Thank you in advance.

this is a great frame imho but it is a little dead in the upper hoop which begs for some lead tape. fwiw, my game style sounds very similar to yours and i love the control that i get with the dunlop bio 300t.

what has worked really well for me is to use 1/4" lead tape and spread it around the upper hoop from 11:00-1:00 on both sides. this is probably right around 3 grams as suggested. also, i use a full bed of multi and drop the tension on the cross strings by 3#. the sweetspot moves higher and wider this way though it is still not nearly as big as with say the prince rebel 98 with it's o ports (you may want to try the prince as well). i have no counter weight and the balance does change a little but it is still HL enough for me with the lead this way and groundstrokes are more penetrating.

with some added lead in the upper hoop i will take the dunlop bio 300T over the head radical and wilson blx blade (though the new steam looks interesting).

PigPen
02-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Tom,

Did the lead between 11 and 1 dratatically increase the swingweight? Is the racket unstable on the sides with this setup?

Thanks again

tom4ny
02-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Tom,

Did the lead between 11 and 1 dratatically increase the swingweight? Is the racket unstable on the sides with this setup?

Thanks again

no, it really did not dramatically effect swing weight and the frame is still pretty whippy.

PigPen
02-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks Tom, I'll give it a shot. Are you in ny by the way? Long Island here.

PigPen
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I tried lead on top of the racket as mentioned but there doesn't seem to be much power on returns or groundstrokes. The racket is a demo strung with Dunlop Silk.

I've been enjoying serves and volleys with this frame however.

I am trying to decide between this frame (Dunlop 300 Tour), the Prestige MP and the Donnay Pro One.

Any sugestions on how to improve the 300 Tour further?

Also, please comment on the pros and cons of the above mentioned frames.

Thank you.

tom4ny
02-18-2012, 12:23 PM
i'm sorry to hear that those lead mods didn't work for you as well as it did for me. it could be the strings. i dunno. mine are strung up with a soft multi at 55/52. i find that because of it's very oval shaped head, like my other frames, if you drop the cross tension 3-4 lbs it opens up the sweetspot. but it could simply be that this frame does not have the inherent power level that you are looking for.

i am intrigued by the donnay pro 1 but have not tried it. i agree that it looks like a slightly heavier version of the 300T. so that may be the one for you. you could also look at the dunlop 400T. it has a more rounded headshape and is 100 sq inches which gives it more inherent power than the 300T. the wilson blx blade is one to look at as well. i felt that it was crisper and with it's sw had more power than the 300T but i liked the feel and control of the 300T better. i also tried the yt radical and feel that it's power level is similar to the 300T but again i didn't get the feel and precision i got with the dunlop. i cannot comment on the prestige except that it is generally low powered but a bit heavier that the 300T.

i am up in the hudson valley very close to woodbury commons and west point.

PigPen
02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I tried the Pro One and thought it was an excellent all around racket. It was strung with a Donnay hybrid string which I didn't care for however.

I thought the swingweight of the IG Radical Pro was too high, but the racket was very solid and powerful. Pretty hefty swingweight on the blade as well.

I really like the feel of the 300T. Very precise. Not sure what would happen if I changed strings, This is obviously why demoing is so difficult.

I guess I'll try the Prestige MP. It may be too low powered though.

Tom, what level player are you? You seem very knowledgeable about frames. I'm a 4.5 (used to be 5.0), but am almost 50.

PigPen
03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Perhaps a lower tension or more powerful strings (i.e. NG hybrid) would work after the lead modification. Has anyone tried low tensions or a NG hybrid on the 300T?

tom4ny
03-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Perhaps a lower tension or more powerful strings (i.e. NG hybrid) would work after the lead modification. Has anyone tried low tensions or a NG hybrid on the 300T?

i am trying the new prince premier attack in my dunlop bio 300t later this week or early next week. i have it in my rebel 98 and it is an awesome string. it is a comfortable crisp multi that has a good power level. i have the 16g in my rebel but will be trying the 17g in the dunlop due to the denser string pattern. i think that this frame is better with 17g. my reference tension in this frame is 55/52. sorry that i can't offer much help on the hybrid question but you may want to look into trying ppa too. good luck!

ART ART
03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Try 9grams at 12, and 18grams at the top of the handle.

Sw:~343
Bp: ~32.4cm
Wght: ~355gr (strung+overgrip)

You will have a setup very common in the pro level.

PigPen
03-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I will try prince premier attack. I wanted to keep the sw under 300, the balance at least 4pts head light and the weight under 12 oz.

PigPen
03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I meant swingweight under 330

Supermange
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Hello

I too am checking this racquet out. It stands between this and the 400tour.
Im probably a 3.5. But sometimes the offcenter hits with the 300t creates this unstable feeling where the ball lands real short. Is the 300t to demanding for me then? Most oft the time it's fine but maybe every tenth hit or so or less I loose alot of power with this racquet.

Tested the 400tour and I didn't get that effect with that racquet. What do you guys say?
I play maybe 3-4 times a week and I'm developing fast so I wan't a racquet I can grow with when I become better as well. Which one should I go with?
I like the feeling of the 300t the best but as I said I fear it might be over my head.

un6a
03-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Instability on off center shots is main drawback of 300 Tour, otherwise it is pretty good racquet. Specs and reviews of 400 Tour are very tempting, but i had not chance to hit with it yet.
If i was you i would stick with what gives you better results in matches. It is best indicator which racquets suits your playing style.

tom4ny
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Hello

I too am checking this racquet out. It stands between this and the 400tour.
Im probably a 3.5. But sometimes the offcenter hits with the 300t creates this unstable feeling where the ball lands real short. Is the 300t to demanding for me then? Most oft the time it's fine but maybe every tenth hit or so or less I loose alot of power with this racquet.

Tested the 400tour and I didn't get that effect with that racquet. What do you guys say?
I play maybe 3-4 times a week and I'm developing fast so I wan't a racquet I can grow with when I become better as well. Which one should I go with?
I like the feeling of the 300t the best but as I said I fear it might be over my head.

the 300t is a little dead in the upper hoop that is why most of us have added a little bit of lead tape to firm up that area of the string bed. i think that a 3.5 can play with this frame. if you hit relatively flat and play an all court game and/or have a 1hbh, then the 300t is an excellent choice. if you want more top spin and play more of a baseline game and have a 2hbh then the 400tour is better suited. i agree with you on the feel of the 300t. it is sweet. try some lead and stick with it if it suits you in most ways.