PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex Kinetic 7g (thoughts, mini-review)

sstchur
02-17-2012, 08:52 AM
So I finally got to hit with a brand new 7g. I've played a total of 3 hours with it, each in 1 1/2 hour chunks -- all doubles.

I originally strung it as
M: Big Ace Micro @ 58 (lock out)
X: Alpha Gut 2000 18 @ 58 (lock out)

This was for my first hit, and I didn't care for the string setup. I cut that out, and restrung with a full bed of Alpha Gut 2000 18 at M: 62, X: 59 (lock out), and I removed the PK grip and put on a TW leather grip.

My background:
I am about a 4.0. I have sound mechanics and strokes look good (at least that what's fellow players and the club pros tell me). Match toughness is a different thing entirely :-/

I'm very comfortable from the back of the court; I like to hit sharp angle forehands and I love going down the line with my 2hbh.

Net is a weakness for me, but I can manage if the opportunity to come in makes sense.

My serve comes and goes, but when it's on, it's on! And when it's on, my whole game "emanates" from my serve (if that makes any sense). When my serve is clicking, I feel like a baseball pitcher. I know just what pitch to throw and can mostly place it in the general area of the box I want. When I'm serving well, I'm usually doing everything (reasonably) well.

My normal stick is the Fischer Pro One 98 (SL, no tolerance) with leather grip + overgrip, and 2g of lead at 12 o clock. It comes it about 12 3/8oz.

MINI REVIEW (Fischer Pro One 98 vs Pro Kennex Kinetic 7g):

SERVES:
No doubt about it, the extra reach on the PK helped me get more serves in. Folks I was playing with claimed my second serve had more kick. However, I didn't feel as comfortable serving with the PK. Maybe I haven't yet adjusted to that extra length -- not sure. And even though, I was getting my serves in, I didn't necessarily feel like they had more pop (which I thought they would). Part of me feels like I lacked a bit of control serving with the PK.

Verdict: For now, I have to still give the edge to the Fischer. My serve feels "looser" and more relaxed with the Fischer.

GROUNDSTROKES:
This is a tough one. I don't use a one handed back hand, but I can hit one pretty well anyway, and sometimes just for fun I will unleash it if the ball is right in the strike zone. I did it a few times with the PK and it felt (as Penny Hartz would say) "amahzing."

With my 2hbh, I felt jammed sometimes -- again, maybe I'm not dialed into the extra length yet.

Forehand felt pretty good; maybe a tad less spin than I get with the Fischers. But the PK doesn't have anywhere near the same "softness" feel that the Fischer does.

Verdict: I really want to give it the PK, because when I "connected," it felt great. But the Fischers still felt a lot more "controlled." I had a lot more confidence in swinging with the Fischers.

VOLLEYS:
No contest here. I volleyed MUCH MUCH better with the PK. I'm not particularly good at net, but I hit some nice volleys with the PK. I even serve and volleyed playing dubs, and surprised myself with a few of the shots I pulled off. For some reason, I flub just about every volley I ever attempt with the Fischers.

Verdict: PK by a long shot

MISC OBSERVATIONS:
Despite being touted as very arm friendly brand, the Fischer is a considerably more comfortable hit than the PK. I have a little bit of arm soreness after playing with the PK (but for now I'm going to just assume it's the nature of trying something different -- and longer -- that accounts for that).

The Fischer "feel" is lacking in the PK, and the sweet spot in the Fischer seems to be larger to me (but maybe I just need more time to really get grooved in with the PK).

I haven't given up on the PK, but I am skeptical that it is THE racquet for me. Then again, I'm fairly certain the the Fischer isn't THE racquet for me either, but I've been using it for 2 years and have just gotten dialed in on it.

SEEKING ADVICE:
In the past 6 months of so I've tried:

Gamma T-7 (this was a re-try actually b/c I used about 2 years go as my main stick)
Gamma Tour 330X
Gamma Tour 320X
Gamma Tour 340X
Gamma T-6
Prince Exo Tour

None of them really did it for me. The T-7 and the Fischer Pro One are the two I've liked the most.

I have a friend who is of the opinion that when you demo a stick, you "just know" within the first hour or so. You can't keep playing with it for weeks b/c you will eventually "adapt" to it, for better or worse.

I'm not sure if I agree with that, but if he's right, that's precisely what happened to me with the Fischer.

What I'm seeking is... well, what everyone is seeking I guess. The elusive combination of power and control. I want a racquet that gives me good depth, but INCREDIBLY solid, INCREDIBLY stable, INCREDIBLY "cushy" feel. I need to feel that on EVERY shot, *I* am controlling the ball -- never the other way around.

The PK feels comfortable, but not exactly "cushy." And again, maybe I just need time to really get dialed in on it, but as of now, I can't really describe it as solid or stable.

Do any Kinetic users out there lead up their PK? And if so how?

Wondering if some strategically placed lead might do the trick. I'm scared to go off and demo still more racquets -- oh the things I could probably afford if I didn't spend all my money tinkering with tennis equipment! :-/

Anyway... feedback, suggestions, complaints... all welcome. Please let me know your thoughts.

Power Player
02-17-2012, 09:47 AM
You need to spend more time with the racquet it sounds like.

When I had mine, I leaded it at 12. It is easy to set this stick up to balance at 5 pts HL with a massive swing weight if you are into that.

If not, maybe 2 grams at 12 if you are into getting more plow.

mikeler
02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
You will not adapt to an extra length stick in 1 hitting session. It took me a good solid month to adapt once I made the decision that extra length was the way to go. Now when I hit with regular sticks, they feel weird to me. Worst case, keep the PK 7G in your bag for doubles matches only. I volley so darn well with it too.

sstchur
02-17-2012, 10:19 AM
You will not adapt to an extra length stick in 1 hitting session. It took me a good solid month to adapt once I made the decision that extra length was the way to go. Now when I hit with regular sticks, they feel weird to me. Worst case, keep the PK 7G in your bag for doubles matches only. I volley so darn well with it too.

Ok, I will continue to give it more time. I think I might add a bit of lead, perhaps at 12 o clock as Power Player suggests. A bit of lead at that spot was what I felt really helped make the Fischers feel "smooth" to me. Maybe that will help with the PK too -- an of course, more court time to adjust to the length.

sstchur
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM

When I had mine, I leaded it at 12. It is easy to set this stick up to balance at 5 pts HL with a massive swing weight if you are into that.

If not, maybe 2 grams at 12 if you are into getting more plow.

Why 5pts HL? What's magic about 5? I believe my FIschers, with the weight at 12 O Clock, are still about 7 or 8pts HL.

Power Player
02-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Nothing is really magic, but it was the result of me leading up the SW really high at 12.

sstchur
02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Nothing is really magic, but it was the result of me leading up the SW really high at 12.

Can you explain what the net effect was? How did it play before you leaded it up at 12, and how does it play now?

How much lead did you use? Is that the only customization you did to the racquet?

Power Player
02-17-2012, 10:31 AM
1. more power and plow
2. it played great, I was just messing around trying it.
3. i dont remember( i think 5 or 6 grams), but start by adding 2 grams at a time.
4. yes.

vergica
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
I have tried few times the racquet and I found it a bit to difficult to maneuver ( 55+ years......) and not able to get the head speed required for power and spin.
Some people customized it by shortening it to 27.25 or even 27 ( from 27.5) but I am a bit reluctant to go to that path.

Having hopes with KI 15 PSE ( not yet tested).

eldub20
02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't get the instant Wow! feeling I had when hitting with the 7G.

How was it for you on returns of serve?

eldub20
02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
...Some people customized it by shortening it to 27.25 or even 27 ( from 27.5) but I am a bit reluctant to go to that path.

Good bye extra power compared to the 5G if you shorten it. Keep us posted on the PSE.

mikeler
02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Ok, I will continue to give it more time. I think I might add a bit of lead, perhaps at 12 o clock as Power Player suggests. A bit of lead at that spot was what I felt really helped make the Fischers feel "smooth" to me. Maybe that will help with the PK too -- an of course, more court time to adjust to the length.

I have not tried it, but you may find that the lead tape helps your strokes but hurts your volleys. Obviously, if you have to suffer with one shot or other, you'll take the weaker volleys that you don't use as much.

tball
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Sstchur, I concur with everything you said about Fischer vs PK 7G.
PK 7G is not an improvement over Fischer. There are plenty of racquets better than either of those:
= Old Fischer Pro1 (red/silver, precursor to black Pro1, 330g) is better than the Fischer you are playing with (more solid, more stable, more powerful).
= Then, in no particular order:
Kneissl Red Star 2007-2009, Donnay X-Blue 99, Volkl Tour 10 (black and yellow), Vantage 95 RA63, Volkl C7.
There are probably some good ones among the current offerings from Volkl and Head -- have not tried any of those yet. Last year's offerings did not impress me much.

vergica
02-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't get the instant Wow! feeling I had when hitting with the 7G.

With the nat gut setup the return on serve is long to often...I will try it with RIP strings as well.
I think its my problem as I have problem in handling racquet's SW and not the racquet itself. Also I have tried it with the initial poly and I liked better than with the current setup nat gut ( Klip 17 at 57/59) ( trying to avoid poly). Also I might not be patient enough with the racquet...

sstchur
02-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Sstchur, I concur with everything you said about Fischer vs PK 7G.
PK 7G is not an improvement over Fischer. There are plenty of racquets better than either of those:
= Old Fischer Pro1 (red/silver, precursor to black Pro1, 330g) is better than the Fischer you are playing with (more solid, more stable, more powerful).
= Then, in no particular order:
Kneissl Red Star 2007-2009, Donnay X-Blue 99, Volkl Tour 10 (black and yellow), Vantage 95 RA63, Volkl C7.
There are probably some good ones among the current offerings from Volkl and Head -- have not tried any of those yet. Last year's offerings did not impress me much.

Interesting. I was hoping someone might chime in with a few "similar but better" frame suggestions.

The Donnays have always interested me but they seemed awfully expensive. I demo'd the TW reissue of the Pro One International and LOVE LOVE LOVED it. I was about to purchase but then heard that the grommets in it were REALLY REALLY weak, and TW did not have, or plan to get, any more, which was a deal breaker for me. Ultimately, I went with the Fischer instead.

I've heard good things about the Kneissl's but they are hard to come by.

I thought about trying some of the classic Head frames (some of them look like nice specs and are fairly inexpensive on TW).

sstchur
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM

I hit one of my "wow everybody sharp angle cross court backhand" returns from the ad side. But it was the only one I was able to muster in two outings. Mostly, I felt jammed on my returns, no doubt a product of not being familiar with the extra length yet.

sstchur
02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I have not tried it, but you may find that the lead tape helps your strokes but hurts your volleys. Obviously, if you have to suffer with one shot or other, you'll take the weaker volleys that you don't use as much.

Yes, I take weaker volleys over more stable, more plow through groundies. I may have to give this a shot and see how it goes.

eldub20
02-17-2012, 02:24 PM
I hit one of my "wow everybody sharp angle cross court backhand" returns from the ad side. But it was the only one I was able to muster in two outings. Mostly, I felt jammed on my returns, no doubt a product of not being familiar with the extra length yet.

I hit a lot of those angled cross court BH. I hit higher in the strinbed and was used to play with a nTour Two 105 which was 27.25" and just loved it but a bit too powerful, so the extra 1/4" was just a bonus for me and it felt good right from the start with full PLII. I never felt the need to add lead tape as I can rip returns from both sides and haven't felt it unstable against hard hitters.

Maybe some lead at 3, 9 & 12 could bring it closer to your Fischer specs (7HL) and feel more solid? Can't hurt to try it.

I hope you can make it work for you but if not & you ever decide to get rid of it, shoot me an e-mail.

eldub20
02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
With the nat gut setup the return on serve is long to often...I will try it with RIP strings as well.
I think its my problem as I have problem in handling racquet's SW and not the racquet itself. Also I have tried it with the initial poly and I liked better than with the current setup nat gut ( Klip 17 at 57/59) ( trying to avoid poly). Also I might not be patient enough with the racquet...

Sorry sstchur, not trying to highjack your thread...just trying to also help vergica.

Is it the SW that you have a hard time to handle or just the overall weight? I couldn't play 2-3 match a day in a tournament as it's too heavy stock for me...I was swinging a bit late has the match was going on and my shoulder was tiring to easily so I just removed some micro beads (weight) from the butt cap cylinder and now I feel like I can swing it all day.

Ramon
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
I tried some similar racquets and wrote my reviews here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413091

Have you tried the Pacific X Force Pro? It's based on the Fischer M Pro One 98. I liked it a lot myself but ended up getting the PK Ki 5x (the update to the 7G). I'm one of those that got the instant "Wow" factor when I first picked up the Ki 5. Maybe the PK's are just not your type of racquet.

vergica
02-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Sorry sstchur, not trying to highjack your thread...just trying to also help vergica.

Is it the SW that you have a hard time to handle or just the overall weight? I couldn't play 2-3 match a day in a tournament as it's too heavy stock for me...I was swinging a bit late has the match was going on and my shoulder was tiring to easily so I just removed some micro beads (weight) from the butt cap cylinder and now I feel like I can swing it all day.

It looks like the racquet doesn't allow me to perform my completly swing even at the start of play.It could be that my wrist can't handle it as I always have a final touch with it...which be caused by the length, SW, weight or age..:)

Too complicated..to answer it is SW or overall weight ( never the age) ?

sstchur
02-17-2012, 07:17 PM

No worries; discuss away my good friends. I'm getting plenty of good info from the thread, which is all I need. Might as well have some good info that can help others too, right?

sstchur
02-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I tried some similar racquets and wrote my reviews here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413091

Have you tried the Pacific X Force Pro? It's based on the Fischer M Pro One 98. I liked it a lot myself but ended up getting the PK Ki 5x (the update to the 7G). I'm one of those that got the instant "Wow" factor when I first picked up the Ki 5. Maybe the PK's are just not your type of racquet.

Yeah, I've heard about Pacific having bought Fischer, so I knew they'd be similar and I knew the X Force Pro was based on the mold of the Pro One 98, but is it that much different? I have 4 of the Fischers and I figure if I'm gonna switch, I wanna really switch, ya know? I mean, whatever I move to needs to really wow me and have whatever the Pro One doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong to assume it, but I just assumed that the X Force Pro wouldn't be all that different from the Pro One 98.

mikeler
02-18-2012, 04:10 AM
I did the same thing as the OP and just bought one since the specs were so close to the PST+ (non GT) I was using at the time. Surprisingly, the PSTs felt much heavier in the hoop. So specs don't give you everything that you need to know.

eldub20
02-18-2012, 04:53 AM
No worries; discuss away my good friends. I'm getting plenty of good info from the thread, which is all I need. Might as well have some good info that can help others too, right?

Completely agree!:cool:

Not sure what your 7G weight & balance are at now with the leather grip but by being more HL probably doesn't help it stability wise. You can remove some weight by removing the butt cap and taking out some of the microbeads from the butt cap cylinder.

Another thing I did with mine to reduce even more vibration is to remove the butt cap and stuff the handle with 5/8" backer rod foam, I noticed a good difference...anybody venturing that route needs to know that it's almost impossible to re-staple back the butt cap unless you have super strong staples...the handle part is quite stiff so I use 5 min. epoxy instead.

sstchur
02-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Not sure what your 7G weight & balance are at now with the leather grip but by being more HL probably doesn't help it stability wise. You can remove some weight by removing the butt cap and taking out some of the microbeads from the butt cap cylinder.

Another thing I did with mine to reduce even more vibration is to remove the butt cap and stuff the handle with 5/8" backer rod foam, I noticed a good difference...anybody venturing that route needs to know that it's almost impossible to re-staple back the butt cap unless you have super strong staples...the handle part is quite stiff so I use 5 min. epoxy instead.

Actually, instead of removing weight from the handle, I counter-balanced by adding lead to the hoop. I put a bit at 12 o clock and the majority at 3 and 9. Total weight now is around 361g or so. I think that's about 12.75oz

Gonna give it a try today. I also picked a demo of the Donnay X Gold something or other, and a Head Prestige. I will try them both out just for kicks and see if anything "wows" me.

michael valek
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
I know where 2007-2009 kneissl reds can be obtained. Mail me michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com

eldub20
02-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Actually, instead of removing weight from the handle, I counter-balanced by adding lead to the hoop. I put a bit at 12 o clock and the majority at 3 and 9. Total weight now is around 361g or so. I think that's about 12.75oz

Gonna give it a try today. I also picked a demo of the Donnay X Gold something or other, and a Head Prestige. I will try them both out just for kicks and see if anything "wows" me.

Hope you'll have a more positive experience this time around.

The Gold is one stick that I wish I could demo, seems to be 1 of the Donnay's in the weight range I like and more HL...Unfortunately TW won't ship demos to Canada and there is a very limited demo selection in my area. Just a couple of models from Wilson & Head, pretty much all game improvement racquets.

Curious to hear how it went this time around and would appreciate your impressions on the Gold.

sstchur
02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Hope you'll have a more positive experience this time around.

The Gold is one stick that I wish I could demo, seems to be 1 of the Donnay's in the weight range I like and more HL...Unfortunately TW won't ship demos to Canada and there is a very limited demo selection in my area. Just a couple of models from Wilson & Head, pretty much all game improvement racquets.

Curious to hear how it went this time around and would appreciate your impressions on the Gold.

Well, I just got back from playing some dubs. I started out playing with the Donnay Gold, but I wasn't able to stick with it. I really really wanted to, the weight and balance on this thing (just holding it and swinging ghost strokes) feels perfect.

But this demo was strung with a full bed of some poly (I'm not a fan of polys) and I just couldn't get past that. It felt really odd to me and I got no feedback, so unfortunately, I can't really give it a review.

I with the local shop would stop putting poly in all their demos. A basic synthetic gut is all you need. Polys ruin the demo process for me.

With respect to the 7g with more weight, I will post a follow up on that shortly :-)

sstchur
02-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Ok, so I put 10g of lead in the hoop. 2g at 12 o clock, and 8g (4 each) at 3 and 9. I also have a leather grip + overgrip, so the total weight on this guy is now about 12.75oz

SERVES:
Wow! Just wow. In fact, someone on the adjacent court say "I don't know how opponents even call your serve; it's so fast." Ok, she's a 3.5 lady (that's not a put down), but maybe the ladies are a little easier to impress when it comes to big serves. But still, I /was/ getting some pop on the serves. Still lacked consistency though. I would get jammed sometimes -- probably not tossing the ball high enough to account for the extra length of the frame. So I think I need to work on that ball toss and my timing. But serves were generally good, and that gives me hope that there is potential for this frame.

GROUNSTROKES:
Not bad when we were just warming up. Didn't get into many long really since we were playing doubles though, so a little hard to analyze. Backhand felt better than forehand (and forehand is normally the better shot). But I felt jammed more often on my forehand. And even though my backhand was better, I still sprayed shots a descent amount. Overall though, the added lead felt MUCH better. A lot more stability and plow though -- just a more comfortable hit. Still not quite sure I'm ready to say it's more comfortable than the Fischer, but it's close at least. I think my inability (so far) to adjust to the extra length is still throwing off my ability to give a fair analysis

VOELLEYS:
Definitely did not volley anywhere nearly as well with the extra weight. Felt like I was back to my old, poor-volleying self. I even flubbed a swinging volley, which is one that I usually make.

SLICES:
Didn't hit many slices, but did manage a few nice ones. Also tracked down a few drop shots and got a very nice, low, slice down the line reply.

MISC OBSERVATIONS:
Liking the stick much more with the extra weight. It's not too heavy overall. I didn't tire of swinging it or anything. Felt more solid, felt more stable. I liked it.

Problem now though is whether or not I want to commit to the 27.5" length and try to get used to it. I'm tempted now, after having put this extra lead at 3 and 9, to try the same with my Fischers (they already have some at 12 o clock) and see if that might be the sort of "missing piece" for my Fischers.

This is a tough one. The PK now feels like it has potential to be a "wow" stick for me. But I'm really really surprised by how much difference that extra .5" makes. I thought I would adjust fairly quickly, but I was very wrong.

Is it worth it? I dunno. Could I serve that big with the Fischer if I added more weight? Or is it really the length of the PK that's giving me that extra pop?

Do I want to bother trying still more frames? Head, Donnay? Or should I just keep it between the PK and Fischers?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Well, it's not all bad. Tinkering is part of what makes tennis so much fun! :-)

Ramon
02-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for your comments on the lead tape. I think I'm going to try that myself with the Ki 5x. I also noticed quite a difference with the extra length, which for me was only a 3/8" increase according to my measuring stick.

My first impression of the Ki 5x was that it really didn't need much lead if at all. The Ki 5 certainly felt like it needed it. It does sound like it's worth trying.

mikeler
02-18-2012, 07:44 PM
I'll say it again, it is only 0.5 inches longer but it takes a dozen matches or so to really evaluate whether it is for you. Don't think of it as an Apples to Apples comparison. Oops, sorry I forgot you were Microsoft...:)

sstchur
02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I'll say it again, it is only 0.5 inches longer but it takes a dozen matches or so to really evaluate whether it is for you. Don't think of it as an Apples to Apples comparison. Oops, sorry I forgot you were Microsoft...:)

Cute. What is the emoticon for "eye roll?" J/K ;-)

How long did it take you, and was there any particular overriding factor that made you decide in the end that the extra length was for you?

I like on serve. No doubt about that. Is that enough? Is it worth it? Should I learn to "tolerate" it on groundies, just so I can get the benefit on serve?

My better judgement would tell me no -- that if I give it sufficient, there should come a point where I actually /prefer/ the extra length (even on groundies).

What was the "magic moment" for you? What sold you, in the end, on the extra length?

scotus
02-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Those micro beads do not weigh much and are part of the Kinetic system that makes the 7G what it is.

I would strongly discourage this practice.

Magic of tennis
02-18-2012, 11:47 PM

Agreed. You can't decide which racquet is the one for you by just 3 hour playing.

I bought 2 different racquets to find out which one is right one for me.
One was Volkl x10 and the other one was Prince Exo3 tour. Both are great for arm. Anyway, in the begining I felt Prince exo3 was better for few months so I planned to buy another prince exo3 but couldn't find right grip size one. So, I kept playing both alternatively for another several months. One day after using volkl x10 for several days, I played with prince exo3 tour. I was shocked that the difference was so obvious. I don't know why I couldn't tell the difference for so many months.
Volkl x10 was clearly right one for me. The power coming from the raquet was superior to exo3 and I could handle heavy balls better.

scotus
02-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Agreed. You can't decide which racquet is the one for you by just 3 hour playing.

I bought 2 different racquets to find out which one is right one for me.
One was Volkl x10 and the other one was Prince Exo3 tour. Both are great for arm. Anyway, in the begining I felt Prince exo3 was better for few months so I planned to buy another prince exo3 but couldn't find right grip size one. So, I kept playing both alternatively for another several months. One day after using volkl x10 for several days, I played with prince exo3 tour. I was shocked that the difference was so obvious. I don't know why I couldn't tell the difference for so many months.
Volkl x10 was clearly right one for me. The power coming from the raquet was superior to exo3 and I could handle heavy balls better.

I have spent a lot of time with both EXO3 Tour and Organix 10 325g. These are some of the most comfortable frames on the market today.

The comfort of EXO3 Tour comes mainly from its flex. Organix 10 is a stiffer frame, but its comfort comes (besides heft and whatever the organix cellulose material may contribute) from the handle technology.

I have a 2-handed backhand, and I find that Organix 10 is definitely more comfortable than EXO3 Tour on my dominant hand (because it grips the bottom of the handle), but EXO3 Tour is more comfortable for my top hand.

My theory is that there is quite a bit of shock and vibration at the top of the handle on the Organix 10 but it gets absorbed/dampened/reduced as it travels down the Bio Sensor handle.

eldub20
02-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Those micro beads do not weigh much and are part of the Kinetic system that makes the 7G what it is.

I would strongly discourage this practice.

You must remember that we have discussed this in the past, you contributed to that thread. Look at posts #230 & 231 of this threadhttp://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372601&page=12

I've removed completely the butt cap cylinders of 2 of my 7Gs and never felt more shock to the arm than before & I have had my share of TE problems in the past...but we are all different and if you tried it without that butt cap insert and had a different experience than I did then I can only respect your opinion.

eldub20
02-19-2012, 06:57 AM
sstchur, glad to read it helped with the lead. :)

As others have said, when I go back to a 27" racquet like the 320X something is off and it takes me a little while to adjust. I find I can adjust within 30 min. of hitting, so maybe it's easier to go back to regular length after being used to 27.5" than the opposite??

Too bad you couldn't hit more with the Gold. :sad:

mikeler
02-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Cute. What is the emoticon for "eye roll?" J/K ;-)

How long did it take you, and was there any particular overriding factor that made you decide in the end that the extra length was for you?

I like on serve. No doubt about that. Is that enough? Is it worth it? Should I learn to "tolerate" it on groundies, just so I can get the benefit on serve?

My better judgement would tell me no -- that if I give it sufficient, there should come a point where I actually /prefer/ the extra length (even on groundies).

What was the "magic moment" for you? What sold you, in the end, on the extra length?

I was coming off a long break due to my elbow so I was using new strings and a brand new extended length stick. It just took me awhile to find the right contact point. My game flows from my serve, so I just figured give it some time and the groundies will come around and eventually they did.

Hominator
02-19-2012, 10:04 AM
I have spent a lot of time with both EXO3 Tour and Organix 10 325g. These are some of the most comfortable frames on the market today.

The comfort of EXO3 Tour comes mainly from its flex. Organix 10 is a stiffer frame, but its comfort comes (besides heft and whatever the organix cellulose material may contribute) from the handle technology.

I have a 2-handed backhand, and I find that Organix 10 is definitely more comfortable than EXO3 Tour on my dominant hand (because it grips the bottom of the handle), but EXO3 Tour is more comfortable for my top hand.

My theory is that there is quite a bit of shock and vibration at the top of the handle on the Organix 10 but it gets absorbed/dampened/reduced as it travels down the Bio Sensor handle.

I've recently replaced my Gamma Hi Tech replacement grip on my X10 325 with a Wilson Shock Shield grip. It's fantastic and seems to make a noticeable difference in vibration absorption. I like how it's heavy and firm, not mushy, allowing for great bevel definition. I think it's my new grip for all my frames.

mikeler
02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Those Shock Shield grips seem to be getting many good reviews.

Ramon
02-20-2012, 08:36 AM

I agree that out of all the racquets I demoed the Prince EXO3 Tour 100 and Volkyl Organix 10 325g were the 2 most comfortable. I put the Prince in 1st place for comfort, but I didn't spend as much time as you on both racquets because they didn't fit my game the way the other racquets did.

For now, the Ki 5x seems to be giving me plenty of comfort with full bed NXT. I'm going to start hitting without my magnetic tennis elbow brace. In fact, the focus of injury is starting to shift from my elbow to my shoulder because I'm whipping my arm so much faster now on the serve.

sstchur
02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Starting to feel like I might finally be grooving on the extended length stick.

I played for another 1 1/2 hours this morning. At first, I played with one of my Fischer, but (and this is just madness), it was a Fischer that I weighted up with a total of 48g (yes, you read that right).

It has a leather grip + overgrip, which I think added about 22g or so to the handle, and then I put 12g at 10 and 2, and 12g and 8 and 4, and 2g at 12 o clock.

Madness! Just madness! The thing was like 13 1/8oz. It was rock solid that's for sure. I was able to block back overheads and barely a flick of my wrist, but overall it was just too much weight. I also have a chronically bad shoulder so that didn't help matters.

I switched back to the 7g about 20 min in. I was hitting groundstrokes well, but something still felt "off." Even when thought I was hitting well and with control, I still /felt/ like I was lacking control.

After about 20 more min, I made a conscious decision to reset my grip to continental after every groundstroke (which is essentially the grip I use with my right hand for my 2hbh). And then for my forehand, I made a more conscious effort to use a slightly less western grip than I had been. This felt much much better. My shot penetrated more and felt more solid.

I've never been a huge fan of the "overly spinny" game anyway, so flattening out my shots just a tad not only felt more satisfying, but I felt a little more "in tune" with the 7g when I did this.

I think I'm gonna continue using it for now and see if I can really start to feel comfortable with it.

The only nag left in my head right now is if I should have given 3/8 grip a try instead of 1/2. I think 1/2 is my "correct" grip size based on "old school" standards (one finger fits between the space of your palm and fingers when wrapped around the handle), but I think I could be comfortable with 3/8 too, and the trend seems to be towards smaller grips these days, so that has me wondering if I should have gone that route...

eldub20
02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
ssstchur, good to hear you're starting to enjoy more hitting with the 7G. I use a strong eastern grip and the majority of my forehands are flat...once in a while I'll put a bit of topspin but I love blasting flat forehands with that stick. Keep us updated!

I broke 1 on Saturday right at 10 o'clock (not out of frustration), so bought a brand new 1 from TW & received it today...time to string and modify it for tomorrow's outing.

Cheers!

levy1
02-25-2012, 07:08 AM
So I finally got to hit with a brand new 7g. I've played a total of 3 hours with it, each in 1 1/2 hour chunks -- all doubles.

I originally strung it as
M: Big Ace Micro @ 58 (lock out)
X: Alpha Gut 2000 18 @ 58 (lock out)

This was for my first hit, and I didn't care for the string setup. I cut that out, and restrung with a full bed of Alpha Gut 2000 18 at M: 62, X: 59 (lock out), and I removed the PK grip and put on a TW leather grip.

My background:
I am about a 4.0. I have sound mechanics and strokes look good (at least that what's fellow players and the club pros tell me). Match toughness is a different thing entirely :-/

I'm very comfortable from the back of the court; I like to hit sharp angle forehands and I love going down the line with my 2hbh.

Net is a weakness for me, but I can manage if the opportunity to come in makes sense.

My serve comes and goes, but when it's on, it's on! And when it's on, my whole game "emanates" from my serve (if that makes any sense). When my serve is clicking, I feel like a baseball pitcher. I know just what pitch to throw and can mostly place it in the general area of the box I want. When I'm serving well, I'm usually doing everything (reasonably) well.

My normal stick is the Fischer Pro One 98 (SL, no tolerance) with leather grip + overgrip, and 2g of lead at 12 o clock. It comes it about 12 3/8oz.

MINI REVIEW (Fischer Pro One 98 vs Pro Kennex Kinetic 7g):

SERVES:
No doubt about it, the extra reach on the PK helped me get more serves in. Folks I was playing with claimed my second serve had more kick. However, I didn't feel as comfortable serving with the PK. Maybe I haven't yet adjusted to that extra length -- not sure. And even though, I was getting my serves in, I didn't necessarily feel like they had more pop (which I thought they would). Part of me feels like I lacked a bit of control serving with the PK.

Verdict: For now, I have to still give the edge to the Fischer. My serve feels "looser" and more relaxed with the Fischer.

GROUNDSTROKES:
This is a tough one. I don't use a one handed back hand, but I can hit one pretty well anyway, and sometimes just for fun I will unleash it if the ball is right in the strike zone. I did it a few times with the PK and it felt (as Penny Hartz would say) "amahzing."

With my 2hbh, I felt jammed sometimes -- again, maybe I'm not dialed into the extra length yet.

Forehand felt pretty good; maybe a tad less spin than I get with the Fischers. But the PK doesn't have anywhere near the same "softness" feel that the Fischer does.

Verdict: I really want to give it the PK, because when I "connected," it felt great. But the Fischers still felt a lot more "controlled." I had a lot more confidence in swinging with the Fischers.

VOLLEYS:
No contest here. I volleyed MUCH MUCH better with the PK. I'm not particularly good at net, but I hit some nice volleys with the PK. I even serve and volleyed playing dubs, and surprised myself with a few of the shots I pulled off. For some reason, I flub just about every volley I ever attempt with the Fischers.

Verdict: PK by a long shot

MISC OBSERVATIONS:
Despite being touted as very arm friendly brand, the Fischer is a considerably more comfortable hit than the PK. I have a little bit of arm soreness after playing with the PK (but for now I'm going to just assume it's the nature of trying something different -- and longer -- that accounts for that).

The Fischer "feel" is lacking in the PK, and the sweet spot in the Fischer seems to be larger to me (but maybe I just need more time to really get grooved in with the PK).

I haven't given up on the PK, but I am skeptical that it is THE racquet for me. Then again, I'm fairly certain the the Fischer isn't THE racquet for me either, but I've been using it for 2 years and have just gotten dialed in on it.

SEEKING ADVICE:
In the past 6 months of so I've tried:

Gamma T-7 (this was a re-try actually b/c I used about 2 years go as my main stick)
Gamma Tour 330X
Gamma Tour 320X
Gamma Tour 340X
Gamma T-6
Prince Exo Tour

None of them really did it for me. The T-7 and the Fischer Pro One are the two I've liked the most.

I have a friend who is of the opinion that when you demo a stick, you "just know" within the first hour or so. You can't keep playing with it for weeks b/c you will eventually "adapt" to it, for better or worse.

I'm not sure if I agree with that, but if he's right, that's precisely what happened to me with the Fischer.

What I'm seeking is... well, what everyone is seeking I guess. The elusive combination of power and control. I want a racquet that gives me good depth, but INCREDIBLY solid, INCREDIBLY stable, INCREDIBLY "cushy" feel. I need to feel that on EVERY shot, *I* am controlling the ball -- never the other way around.

The PK feels comfortable, but not exactly "cushy." And again, maybe I just need time to really get dialed in on it, but as of now, I can't really describe it as solid or stable.

Do any Kinetic users out there lead up their PK? And if so how?

Wondering if some strategically placed lead might do the trick. I'm scared to go off and demo still more racquets -- oh the things I could probably afford if I didn't spend all my money tinkering with tennis equipment! :-/

Anyway... feedback, suggestions, complaints... all welcome. Please let me know your thoughts.

I like my lead at the bottom of the butt cap. It seems to me to be a better balance and feel to the racket when I am done. There is not a trap door but I was able to modify three different models I own. When you take the grip off, remove the butt cap and pull the chamber with beads out you will see room to add weight. I have installed as much as 30 grams doing this. You have to add hot glue so you really want to know what weight you want to be at. I mash up the lead and use packing tape to place in on the bottom of the butt cap, then install the over grip until I find the weight I want to use.