PDA

View Full Version : Many racquets, sore stringing?

Bas
02-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I am going to string more racquets then I used to.
Got a contract for three days a week, 20 racquets a day to string.
Does anyone have good tips for sore fingers or something?
I might buy the cross stringer of Stringway also.

Irvin
02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Don't know why your fingers would get sore once you get used to it but this may help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ9T8fWs7Ws

dancraig
02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
I am going to string more racquets then I used to.
Does anyone have good tips for sore fingers or something?
I might buy the cross stringer of Stringway also.

That's going to be a lot of racquets.

drakulie
02-17-2012, 09:29 PM
One thing I could advise you to do is to wear a very comfortable pair of shoes, with comfy socks. You're feet will thank you at the end of each day. Also, you may want to invest in a padded place mat.

secondly, get your fingers ready by stringing 18X20 frames full poly to prepare the tips of your fingers.

Good luck. Happy Stringing!

tennis_pr0
02-17-2012, 10:04 PM
You fingers shouldn't get sore unless you are stringing alu rough in every racquet lol

bigmatt
02-18-2012, 04:28 AM
20 a day 3 times a week is not the worst. Your fingers might get sore the first couple of days, but you'll be OK after that.
Good luck.

Bas
02-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks so far.
I got the racquets on monday with the strings, and they I need to deliver them thuesday for 6:00 at the postal office (example) so its not too bad, I could split it up but I have other things to do aswell. How would you organize it? First all racquets with nylon, then all the racquets with poly? Or the other way around?

MAX PLY
02-18-2012, 11:22 AM
I suggest organizing by frame type--i.e., string all the BLX 90s, then the Head Prestiges, then whatever. You then don't have to adjust your machine as much. If 30 different frames, do the harder patterns first then the easier ones. Good luck.

Bas
02-18-2012, 01:29 PM
One thing I could advise you to do is to wear a very comfortable pair of shoes, with comfy socks. You're feet will thank you at the end of each day. Also, you may want to invest in a padded place mat.

secondly, get your fingers ready by stringing 18X20 frames full poly to prepare the tips of your fingers.

Good luck. Happy Stringing!

I am sorry but what is a padded place mat?

I suggest organizing by frame type--i.e., string all the BLX 90s, then the Head Prestiges, then whatever. You then don't have to adjust your machine as much. If 30 different frames, do the harder patters first then the easier ones. Good luck.

That's a good idea. Thanks!

rich s
02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I am sorry but what is a padded place mat?

http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?product=380

They are usually filled with a high density closed cell foam and prevent fatigue from standing on hard surfaces for extended periods of time.

Bas
02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks, are they available in other brands too? Since I am in Holland I won't know where to buy gamma.

MAX PLY
02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I think Prince makes one too. However, I am pretty sure that they are the same as kitchen mats, which should be available in many places, including, I suspect, the Netherlands.

stringwalla
02-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Don't know why your fingers would get sore once you get used to it

I have to disagree.

I've been stringing over 25-40 frames/day for over 20 years(but it's mostly syn-gut and multi's).
Tournaments still kill my fingers because it's all polys. Actually I'm sure it's the final "straightening" that gets me there.
I've only just recently recovered from Australia-

Irvin
02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
I have to disagree.

I've been stringing over 25-40 frames/day for over 20 years(but it's mostly syn-gut and multi's).
Tournaments still kill my fingers because it's all polys. Actually I'm sure it's the final "straightening" that gets me there.
I've only just recently recovered from Australia-

Have you tried the String Thing (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/String_Thing_String_Straightening_Device_Open/descpageSTRPRO-STRINGTHING.html)? There are also other methods that are easier on your fingers just not as quick.

stringwalla
02-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Irv,
I've seen that "string thing", but I'm skeptical that it can perform perfect "final straightening". Does it work?
One guy on our team uses this little flat plastic tool with teeth. He sits in his chair for at least a minute until everything is perfect.

I should come up with something before Miami next month-

Irvin
02-19-2012, 08:10 AM
I really have no idea as I have never used it but I would think it would. You are just rolling two wheels up and down each side of the string and that should straighten them out. Because there are teeth in the wheel it should also keep the crosses evenly spaced too.

I try to keep the strings straight as I go but that takes a lot more time. I straighten the one above the string I am tensioning. This is the only way I have found you can straighten the strings as you go. If you just push them up when you tension (or before you tension) the tensioned string above will push it down ever so slightly. The closer you get to the bottom the more smile you have. Here is a video on straightening strings as you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuQBrSgDHg&list=UURjgj1_5OIecsHhyC968nTQ&index=8&feature=plcp

When I get done the only real problem is on the outside mains where the clamps were walked down the racket.

GlenK
02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I straighten as I go using Irvin's technique above, but use the handle of my pliers (rubber padded) to straighten anything I missed once complete.

Then finish it off with the string thing. Yes it does work to get that final perfect touch on the string bed. It also let's you feel any varying gaps in the strings. If one of the little things won't fit down into the gap you know immediately it's not straightened correctly.

mikeler
02-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Never got the string thing to perform for me.

drummerdan
02-19-2012, 08:34 PM

Interesting. Is this from a club or "big box" store?

Bas
02-20-2012, 12:54 AM
It is for a internet store. I customize for them and when they have a customer for customization for 2 frames, they put in 18 other frames to string to make the shipping worth it.