PDA

View Full Version : Lead tape keeps falling/flying off

Funbun
02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
I have a BLX Pro Staff 95, and because of the matte finish at the top, the Babolat lead tape tends to fall off rather easily. I've had strips flying throughout the court over the course of 2 hours of hitting.

Does anybody know of a way to keep them on? This is really annoying and I'm wasting money having to buy new packs of lead tape. Or should I use scotch tape or white squeeze glue to keep them on?

...or does Babolat lead tape fall off easily? Should I get the Gamma ones instead?

Seth
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a BLX Pro Staff 95, and because of the matte finish at the top, the Babolat lead tape tends to fall off rather easily. I've had strips flying throughout the court over the course of 2 hours of hitting.

Does anybody know of a way to keep them on? This is really annoying and I'm wasting money having to buy new packs of lead tape. Or should I use scotch tape or white squeeze glue to keep them on?

...or does Babolat lead tape fall off easily? Should I get the Gamma ones instead?

I feel like I've read about someone else being displeased with Babolat lead tape. I've never had any trouble with Gamma lead tape, for what it's worth.

movdqa
02-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree - go with Gamma.

cork_screw
02-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Tac a strip of double sided foam (thin gauge) tape, I think 3M makes one. And stick your lead strips on that. That or you might be able to lather on some rubber cement and that'll hold it on for a while. I don't know how long the stick will be. If you wanna go crazy. Go get a cheap mouse paper trap. Cut the glue from the trap and put it on the racquet. It will stick and will not come off, but magically if you wash it with soap the glue dissolves. It's designed this way for people who want to capture vermin, but want to rerelease them and not euthanize them. I hope this helped.

Chyeaah
02-17-2012, 01:47 PM
just put elec tape over it.

Funbun
02-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm actually going to experiment with cutting the lead into quarter strips this time (instead of just half strips) and putting them on both sides of the grommets. Apparently, a half-strip is just too wide, and I'm betting that the lead tape is falling/flying off because the ball hits it on off-center shots.

I'm gonna give it a go and see what happens. Has anybody opted for quarter strips on 17-18mm beam width frames instead? This kinda explains why the lead tape has always stayed on my K Blade 98; it had a wider beam width so the ball wouldn't directly hit it.

TaihtDuhShaat
02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm actually going to experiment with cutting the lead into quarter strips this time (instead of just half strips) and putting them on both sides of the grommets. Apparently, a half-strip is just too wide, and I'm betting that the lead tape is falling/flying off because the ball hits it on off-center shots.

I'm gonna give it a go and see what happens. Has anybody opted for quarter strips on 17-18mm beam width frames instead? This kinda explains why the lead tape has always stayed on my K Blade 98; it had a wider beam width so the ball wouldn't directly hit it.

1/4" is the way to go for that beam size.

Steve Huff
02-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I use the Babolat lead tape and have never had a problem with it. It's a little thicker. Maybe you're scraping it, or subconsciously rubbing it with your hands. I find it sticks very well.

Funbun
02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Haha I'm going to use quarter strips in conjunction with electrical tape; I'm just sick of it falling off, so why not just double reinforce it?

Chyeaah
02-17-2012, 03:19 PM
IMHO.

All lead users should use elec tape over it. You can get it in many colours to make the frame look better then grey. And Elec tape doesnt rip the paint off the racquet or leave sticky residue so its all a +.

brownbearfalling
02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
If you are placing lead tape at location between 11:00-1:00 just put it underneath the bumper guard on the out end of the frame.

Otherwise go with gamma lead tape. Killer USA lead tape is even stickier. I haven't had a problem with those two brands but I haven't used Babolat tape. I've read a few other comments about lead tape not sticking to pro staff 95s. Look on the bright side, at least your racquet will less prone to picking up dirt.

edman9898
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
I had trouble with the Babolat lead tape coming off as well.

PrinceMoron
02-18-2012, 02:07 AM
I buy a huge reel, 6 inch diameter. Trouble is getting it off, not getting it to stay put.

Captain Tezuka
02-18-2012, 03:08 AM
This is weird and interesting it's supposed to be customised at least I think that's what Wilson wanted to do with these new 2012 Pro Staffs and yet some people can't get the lead to stick on!?!? What did they think when they went matte? Also can two same racquets come in glossy and matte?

syke
02-18-2012, 03:26 AM
I have problems removing the gamma lead tape... Says pretty much..

movdqa
02-18-2012, 04:37 AM
> Also can two same racquets come in glossy and matte?

Yes, I have Dunlop Revelation Tour Pros in glossy and matte. They changed from matte to glossy one year.

You could always take a matte frame and put on a clearcoat layer.

goosala
02-18-2012, 07:21 AM
super glue

Funbun
02-18-2012, 11:05 AM
So I put on the electrical tape on the quarter strips, and they actually stayed on! No flying bits of silver and white.

Additionally, the racquet looks pretty beast with the black strips on the head. Other kids ask me what it is and I just say it's to keep the paint on lol

mxmx
02-01-2013, 03:03 AM
super glue

I have the same problem with my wilson blx surge - also has black matte paint...
To me super glue makes the most sense....except I'm not sure if it will damage the actual paint.
And this racket most definitely needs lead at 3 & 9...I'm just considering trying to find some cheaper sources of lead so when it does fall off, i can easily replace it.....like maybe golf pro shops will have better sticking or cheaper kinds?

txt858
02-01-2013, 02:37 PM
These have worked great for me.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_big/PSLT-1.jpg

mxmx
02-04-2013, 02:51 AM
I could not find tape such as this ^

okay...so i bought some golf lead tape instead for MUCH cheaper than other tape...and i cut it and slided it at 11 & 1 under the grommet. I would prefer lead at 3 & 9, but at least my lead tape is hidden and won't fall off :)

recreationalplayer
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
I use 1/4 wide Gamma a/no problem. Just make sure the surface of the racquet is dry and clean. Using additional tape and glue to hold it on will just add weight.