PDA

View Full Version : Best racket for pushing? I want to win upcoming 3.0 tourney, so have decided to push.

DeShaun
02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
But current racket is only93 inches, so I need something bigger.

What's the best racket for playing endless easy defense?

LeeD
02-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Anything big and long, but you gotta hit with some underspin to control your depth on those minilobs you're planning to hit.
A conti all around grip works fine, but always remember to add some spin.

klementine79
02-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Prince exo3Tour100.

Although it's great for offense, it's defensive qualities are far superior. You can play with your opponents. It's a controlled frame with massive potential for spin.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and some Curtis Mayfield for pre-match music.

movdqa
02-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Prince Triple Threat Scream - great name - makes your opponents want to scream. 110 sq in, 27.5 inch length.

DeShaun
02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Prince Triple Threat Scream - great name - makes your opponents want to scream. 110 sq in, 27.5 inch length.

Ha ha, my buddy uses this racket. He mopped the floor with me in straights last week, first time in months. He was serving out of his mind, though, and that's really what won him the match. He always feeds off my pace well with that racket. I usually avoid giving him any, especially to his forehand side. That racket's excellent for counter-punching, you're right.

rofl_copter3
02-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Prince exo3 silver 115

Cup8489
02-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Ha ha, my buddy uses this racket. He mopped the floor with me in straights last week, first time in months. He was serving out of his mind, though, and that's really what won him the match. He always feeds off my pace well with that racket. I usually avoid giving him any, especially to his forehand side. That racket's excellent for counter-punching, you're right.

That thing serves bombs. Number 1 guy on my tennis team freshman year used it.. broke 110 with it easy. I dont know I've ever seen anyone serve as big, except some kid I met at regionals senior year who was just a prodigy to be honest.. and he could break 100 easy with a Prestige Mid.

Joehax
02-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Babolat y118

118sq head size!

Only $75 off TW

Chyeaah
02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
I thought you were pro like 4.5+. Well your either claiming that your 3.0 or your actually 3.0.

My question to you it why are you using a 390 gram racquet and poly at 3.0. Shouldn't people start using poly at high 3.5-4.0 when their technique is decent.

DeShaun
02-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I thought you were pro like 4.5+. Well your either claiming that your 3.0 or your actually 3.0.

My question to you it why are you using a 390 gram racquet and poly at 3.0. Shouldn't people start using poly at high 3.5-4.0 when their technique is decent.

Developing basic strokes all last (my second) year, I used only full beds of 16g nylon in a prestige pro while hitting often with a 4.0. After that, I went to the softer frame of the 93inch exo graphite, but the exo seemed so low-powered next to the PP, I began stringing the exo w/poly. I am nowhere near a steady 4.0; at best I'm a decent low 3.5.

I do have flashes of 4.5 caliber movement and aggressiveness, however, but nothing that I can sustain for more than a few points (except twice, when I was treeing for entire sets). Usually against tough 3.5s, once per set my serve will break down altogether, costing me two double-faults in one game.

Chyeaah
02-18-2012, 01:23 AM
lol i swear if you went to a more friendly stick you would pop straight to a 4.5 xD. Why not a 4 stripe POG? Heard it was way better than the newer one.

Captain Tezuka
02-18-2012, 03:02 AM
lol i swear if you went to a more friendly stick you would pop straight to a 4.5 xD. Why not a 4 stripe POG? Heard it was way better than the newer one.

So do you agree that the right racquet for you will most likely improve your game apart from working HARD on your technique?

DeShaun
02-18-2012, 11:44 AM

In the back of my mind it's always been there the idea that, as soon as I move up to a game improvement stick that my rating will increase, but for now all I want to do is continue to iron out any wrinkles on my stroke mechanics, by staying with what I'm swinging which arguably has cost me a match or two but encourages better technique than, say, if I were swinging a big bubba. Less athletic guys than myself who swing their oversized game improvement sticks and who practice and play only a fraction of the time that I do often manage to keep the score close against me, but while I admit that it can be annoying having to grind out wins against those fellows, I can see with my own eyes that it's their stick which is mostly responsible for the depth on their balls and the easy times that they seem to be having on defense. Tying into this, my personality is such that I do not play choose to tennis for the mere opportunity of simply running around outside and shagging balls all afternoon until my opponent finally overhits or nets one--I play to exhibit my racket skills, to put the point on my stick and end it punctually on my terms. So, for now it is better and keeps my enthusiasm levels higher that I am using a players frame-type setup even though I am not yet a solid tourney-level player.

Dave M
02-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I went to the softer frame of the 93inch exo graphite, but the exo seemed so low-powered next to the PP, I began stringing the exo w/poly. .

Poly if you find it low powered?Wouldnt you be better off going with a more powerful string?

DeShaun
02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Poly if you find it low powered?Wouldnt you be better off going with a more powerful string?

I wanted to be able to take bigger cuts, besides, gut was too expensive.

Chyeaah
02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
So do you agree that the right racquet for you will most likely improve your game apart from working HARD on your technique?

No.

Unless a 3.0 player is using a heavy *** players stick. You have to have extra good technique and power to use it, and when you have that your usually a 4.5. With a players stick like Prestige, it's harder to hit the ball back well unless your hitting in the middle and hitting quite hard. But it might be working for him. Probably is.

The only thing I fail to see is how are you 3.0 after 2 years of tennis?

DeShaun
02-18-2012, 01:57 PM
No.

Unless a 3.0 player is using a heavy *** players stick. You have to have extra good technique and power to use it, and when you have that your usually a 4.5. With a players stick like Prestige, it's harder to hit the ball back well unless your hitting in the middle and hitting quite hard. But it might be working for him. Probably is.

The only thing I fail to see is how are you 3.0 after 2 years of tennis?

I'm self-taught and do not have club membership/court access, live in Seattle where playing outdoors is not always possible, but since I was beaten in a 3.0 tourney this past summer, figure now I'm not much better than a very high 3.0/low 3.5 any given day.

all_backhand
02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Prince exo3Tour100.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and some Curtis Mayfield for pre-match music.

^This.

Secret stash, heavy bread
Baddest *****es in the bed.
I'm yo pusherman.

prjacobs
02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
There are a ton of 11 - 11.6 ounce frames you can demo from TW that have varying degrees of power and control. You've been playing with sticks that are traditionally less forgiving and in my experience, playing with everything from a 13 ounce mid to my 11.4 ounce leaded dunlop 4D 500 tour, you'll find quite a difference with a tweener frame.
I'd also recommend some lessons, if you can afford it. There's a great book called Think To Win, by Allen Fox, who coached Brad Gilbert @ Pepperdine. He basically says, that great defense always wins on the lower levels.
But.... everyone's different. Demo some player's and tweener frames and you'll know pretty quickly.

DeShaun
02-18-2012, 02:07 PM
^This.

Secret stash, heavy bread
Baddest *****es in the bed.
I'm yo pusherman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7-A9t3QjU#t=09m37s

DeShaun
02-18-2012, 02:16 PM
There are a ton of 11 - 11.6 ounce frames you can demo from TW that have varying degrees of power and control. You've been playing with sticks that are traditionally less forgiving and in my experience, playing with everything from a 13 ounce mid to my 11.4 ounce leaded dunlop 4D 500 tour, you'll find quite a difference with a tweener frame.
I'd also recommend some lessons, if you can afford it. There's a great book called Think To Win, by Allen Fox, who coached Brad Gilbert @ Pepperdine. He basically says, that great defense always wins on the lower levels.
But.... everyone's different. Demo some player's and tweener frames and you'll know pretty quickly.

I own a copy of "Think To Win."
Fox counsels me against self-identifying as an attacking player until I have a good transition game with solid volleys. He urges me instead to adopt a defense-oriented baseline style.
I experimented for a period with building a more defensive-minded approach to the game but lost too much overall enthusiasm by playing (what felt like) reactionary tennis, and so, I reverted back to taking swinging volleys from nomansland, and to running around backhands not out of fear of hitting them but solely in order to be able to rip another extremely fun forehand in going on the attack, whether or not my transition and volley games are solid enough yet.