PDA

View Full Version : The Moment when you realise

Chyeaah
02-18-2012, 01:56 AM
The moment when you realise the ball isn't spinning as much as you hoped for on your massive all out big swings.

dominikk1985
02-18-2012, 02:13 PM
then you are swinging in the wrong direction:D.

Chyeaah
02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
No. On TV you see nadals ball spin so much on slow mo.

Then when you hit, your ball spins the same amount as nadals ball in slowmo xD imagine non slowmo.. How does he get all his spin. I even tried the reverse forehand (so hard to time properly) but im not getting near enough spin for the ball to curve just a tiny bit.

Fuji
02-18-2012, 07:54 PM
It comes down to your technique and strings. Nadal would out spin 99% of the population with basic synthetic strings, but poly and gauge gives him that extra bite and control.

Timing is everything when it comes to hitting spin. The low to high motion creates all the spin in the world, but if the timing is off, it's no use!

-Fuji

Cheetah
02-18-2012, 09:33 PM
low to hi swing is a major component but it's not the only one. There's low to hi swing, timing, angle of racquet face at impact, laid back wrist and racquet in front for leverage, loose arm for max head speed, weight swift, wrist flick (by forearm pronation), upper body rotation etc, new poly strings, an aero pro (which is good for spin although i dont know why exactly), good plow through to dig into the ball before it leaves the strings, some lead at 12 to help accelerate the head. all these things timed precisely come into play. nadal's got it all.

OrangePower
02-18-2012, 10:54 PM
The moment when you realise the ball isn't spinning as much as you hoped for on your massive all out big swings.

That would be the same moment when you realize that your huge first serve is actually barely breaking 90mph...

dominikk1985
02-19-2012, 01:54 AM
racket HEAD speed is also very important. and with head I do not mean the handle but the tip of the racket. try to make the tip considerably faster than the hand by pronation and wrist action.

if you just rip the hand through you will generate flat shots. nadal has a steep swing path but the main reason for his spin is because he has the highest racket head speed of all players (fed might be close).

Cheetah
02-19-2012, 02:03 AM
I've heard more a few pros actually say they think almagro has the fastest racquet head speed.

dominikk1985
02-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I've heard more a few pros actually say they think almagro has the fastest racquet head speed.

we would need a measurement to confirm that which apparently never has been done. but he certainly does have a very fast racket, I dunno who really is the fastest.