PDA

View Full Version : Power

Chyeaah
02-18-2012, 01:12 AM
What does everyone mean when they say "more power"?

Everyone Are you measuring the increase of power by

A) Lack of Control
B) How deep the ball goes into the court
C) How fast the ball is/comes off the racquet
D) Less spin to tame the power

Because sometimes when people say "increased" power they say it because they experience one of them and the responses aren't in sync, so thats why i don't really trust many reviews. imho increased power is really hard to rate, usually in oversized racquets its a lack of control and less spin, but it still might have the same power. I usually judge increased power how hard the ball is coming off the racquet but that still changes because of spin etc.

Compare a K90 to a APDGT, the K90 is more powerful, does this mean the ball comes off the racquet faster? Or do they judge if the ball is going deeper because it has less spin than the APDGT. TWU says the PDR is less power than the K90, and i hear people say that the PDR is a really high powered stick already. How come no one says the K90 is a super super high powered stick.

Maui19
02-18-2012, 02:30 AM
More ball speed off the racquet for a given swing speed.

Chyeaah
02-18-2012, 02:49 AM
But sometimes in the forums when people review sticks they say that the balls go deeper therefore more power. So this isn't true right? A less powerful racquet can hit balls deeper depends on the spin.

joe sch
02-18-2012, 04:05 AM
Powerful sticks are determined by stiffness, weight, headsize, and ballance. Players add weight and string selection setups including tension to change the power of a racket.

TennisMD
02-18-2012, 07:51 AM
But sometimes in the forums when people review sticks they say that the balls go deeper therefore more power. So this isn't true right? A less powerful racquet can hit balls deeper depends on the spin.

In any experiment, the more variables the less accurate the comparison. Here you have rkt power potential plus the variable of spin. If you go to TWU they compre rkts having only one variable, ie the swing speed the amount of spin etc are al the same so only the rkt gets calculated into the equation. As I recall the more speed the farther ball traveled in all situations.
this is why I like that site, scientific. Now certainly individual epxerience comes to play in reality as some rkts you maybe able to generate better rkt head speed, have better timing etc, but to answer what just the rkt does this site is pure. The rest your playing ability, your timing is all individual and here you need to demo, Start with TWU get the power, sweet spot, plowthrough, comfort(vibration frequency) lined up to what you think you want then demo. I would also vary the swing weights as I think an often underlooked feature is the right swing weight for your game, ie get the highest SW that a llows you to hit on time