PDA

View Full Version : Swing fan or swing resistance training device

highsierra
02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I remember seeing a guy carrying a swing resistance training device that's very similar to the ProActive F4 Golf Power Resistance Trainer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WML8CQ/). I also heard that there's a similar product called Swing Fan that can be attached to a racket. These are supposed to help develop faster swings. Anyone know where I can get either one?

Deuces Wild
02-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Wouldn't you get the same results from using a really heavy racquet?

highsierra
02-18-2012, 11:10 AM
No, these "fans" are different, they cause significant air drag in the direction of swing path. So it's somewhat different effect on the the form and what muscles are used.

Maui19
02-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Those devices will make you swing slower instead of faster. You want to train fast to increase speed.

seb23
02-18-2012, 01:12 PM
That looks stupid. You wouldn't get a pro using something like that. If you want to get stronger and hit with more power buy some weights and maybe some bands

ChicagoJack
02-18-2012, 05:05 PM
If you want to try this kind of thing, you could just go down to your local Goodwill store and pick up any old wood racket with a cover. Swing it with the cover on.

Arthuro
02-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I have to disagree. This swing fan is very similar to the device patented by Pat Etchenberry. You can google "etch-swing" if you would like. There was even a peer-reviewed article I found some time ago when I was thinking about purchasing one showing its effects on top athletes in swinging sports. I have actually used the etch swing and you can tell a feel a noticeable difference.

Additionally you will find that Federer used to train with wind resistance rather than weights. There is a great video on youtube about this that was posted previously.

Just my two cents.

highsierra
02-20-2012, 01:24 PM
I have to disagree. This swing fan is very similar to the device patented by Pat Etchenberry. You can google "etch-swing" if you would like. There was even a peer-reviewed article I found some time ago when I was thinking about purchasing one showing its effects on top athletes in swinging sports. I have actually used the etch swing and you can tell a feel a noticeable difference.

Yes, this is the thing I was talking about. Darn, it's $90 apiece!

Avadia
02-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Yes, this is the thing I was talking about. Darn, it's $90 apiece!

oh, come on! How hard would it be to mimic this thing for virtually no cost? Just attach a couple of pieces of flat plastic (say 110 to 130 sq. inches in size) on either side of a racquet face and you have a low cost wind resistance training device. For that matter, you could just stick a racquet cover on a racquet and swing it for a very basic version that would probably work just fine. This is not rocket science. Just wind resistance.

Hominator
02-21-2012, 06:32 AM

Additionally you will find that Federer used to train with wind resistance rather than weights. There is a great video on youtube about this that was posted previously.

Just my two cents.

I think I've seen Wozniacki warm up with the Etch Swing. It was either her or Jankovic. Can't remember.

prjacobs
02-21-2012, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't say this is taking the tennis world by storm, but if you want it, spend the $90.

http://etcheberryexperience.com/en/info/the_etch_swing

nickarnold2000
02-21-2012, 07:22 AM
The low tech and cheap way to help increase your swing speed is to place the racket head in a plastic bag and tie it off at the throat. If you want more resistence poke less holes in the bag with a pencil. I've found that you need to have some air flowing through the bag or the racket face will start planing.
I also use rubber bands and do isometric excercises - no need to spend $90! :)

gramdacious
02-21-2012, 08:17 AM
The low tech and cheap way to help increase your swing speed is to place the racket head in a plastic bag and tie it off at the throat. If you want more resistence poke less holes in the bag with a pencil. I've found that you need to have some air flowing through the bag or the racket face will start planing.
I also use rubber bands and do isometric excercises - no need to spend $90! :)

^+1. The rubber resistance bands are the way to go, much more versatile and can give the same benefits.