PDA

View Full Version : How to overcome unbelievable pain!?

peoplespeace
02-18-2012, 02:38 PM
We all knom the (true)stories of people overcomming unbelievable pain or getting superhuman strength in moments of extreme crises. The mother lifting a car to save her trapped baby is legendary and could even be true (if it was small car). But today in the final of Qatar open Azarenka got injured in the middle of the second set and was obviously in extreme inhuman pain, several times she almost fainted with pain, but still she managed to keep playing, serving, running for drop shots and lobs and keep a straight face in between points. But when she won the last point she dropped her racket and fell to her knees, but gracefully, quickly got up to shake her opponents hand (Radwanske) who ungracefully didnt seem to have any empathy for her opponents ordeal. This amazing girl then staggered to the middle of the court to receive the ovation of the public.

My question is, how was she able to overcome the unbelievable pain for something like 30 minutes. Is it something one can learn or is it a gift she was born with??

tennis_balla
02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Adrenaline

peoplespeace
02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Adrenaline

Thought about that too, but it seemed unlikely for 30min straight. I mean, i dont think humans can produce so much adrenaline?!

LuckyR
02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Pain is a state of mind, not an actual thing. As such, those with a strong Mental Game in tennis, can block it out, if they choose to do so. This is often a bad idea though, since the pain is there for a reason, that is, to stop you from increasing the injury though overuse. A player (perhaps this case is not a good example) who turns a 2 week recovery into a career ending injury will regret "playing through the pain" for a single match win.

OrangePower
02-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Pain is a state of mind, not an actual thing.

No, pain is an actual thing - it's electrical stimuli being transmitted from a region of the body to the brain via the nervous system. That's why drugs can suppress pain (either by disrupting the transmission within the nervous system, or more commonly by blocking the receptors in the brain. Adranaline is a natural pain suppressant.

Back to Azarenka - maybe she took a pain killer?

kiteboard
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
She's a drama queen. FAinting against SErena, quitting matches due to nerves, breathing, panic attacks, a head case imo. Like Murray faking injury and running like a deer, some take advantage to psych themselves, the audience, and their opponents. It's all just a tactic with her.

dizzlmcwizzl
02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Azarenka, did get hurt (ankle) and did play through the pain. But I doubt anyone that watched the match besides the OP will refer to this injury as unbelievable pain.

She was favoring it but moving pretty well despite the injury.

sureshs
02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
ATP players would have retired. WTA players are much stronger mentally.

ATP100
02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
ATP players would have retired. WTA players are much stronger mentally.

LOL, this is actually true.

LuckyR
02-21-2012, 08:39 AM
No, pain is an actual thing - it's electrical stimuli being transmitted from a region of the body to the brain via the nervous system. That's why drugs can suppress pain (either by disrupting the transmission within the nervous system, or more commonly by blocking the receptors in the brain. Adranaline is a natural pain suppressant.

Back to Azarenka - maybe she took a pain killer?

OK, show me a bucket of pain.

r2473
02-21-2012, 08:47 AM

If this is what it takes to be "real", I guess there are many things that won't qualify.

But, since you asked:

http://scrapetv.com/News/Images/kfc%20bucket%20of%20chicken.gif

OrangePower
02-21-2012, 08:54 AM
^^^^^

LOL!

Although I must admit that at times I have cravings... even though I know I will pay for it with pain later!

OrangePower
02-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Right after you show me a bucket of internet. Oh, wait, the internet doesn't exist... :shock:

jjs891
02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
I agree that Azarenka is bit of a drama queen. If she was injured as badly as she seemed to be, there is no way that she could have come back next day and played as she did. I still think she's very good player though minus the shrieking.

LeeD
02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
She was in pain, yes.
Unbelievable? What, are you a sissy? If she can run, she can sprint and stop, and she can play TENNIS, for christs sake, she is in MINOR pain, that's all. And MINOR pain, she makes a big deal out of it to solicit sympathy from the crowd and her opponent.
Unbelievable pain is like a compound fracture with multiple breaks or the moment of giving birth!

LuckyR
02-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Right after you show me a bucket of internet. Oh, wait, the internet doesn't exist... :shock:

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/internet-map.gif

Ok so where is my bucket to put it in...

Getting back to the subject at hand, as I stated in my first post "pain is a state of mind". As it turns out: "it's electrical stimuli being transmitted from a region of the body to the brain via the nervous system" confirms my point or at the very least doesn't dispute it.

LuckyR
02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
If this is what it takes to be "real", I guess there are many things that won't qualify.

But, since you asked:

http://scrapetv.com/News/Images/kfc%20bucket%20of%20chicken.gif

That is actually a picture of potential pain, not actual pain.