PDA

View Full Version : Wristbands?

TLy963
02-18-2012, 05:02 PM
What is the function of the wristband? i have a pair laying around and im just curious since ive never used them before.

anhuynh16
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
**facepalm**

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/110127-federer.standard.jpg
Credits to NBC Sports

Maui19
02-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Also called sweatbands.

Seth
02-18-2012, 09:16 PM
From reading many of the threads in this sub-forum, the chief reason behind wristbands is to match them to various outfits in an attempt to look like any one of the Nike-sponsored players (Fed, Ralph, Delpony, etc.).

Amiright?

Sveinsson
02-19-2012, 02:18 AM
From reading many of the threads in this sub-forum, the chief reason behind wristbands is to match them to various outfits in an attempt to look like any one of the Nike-sponsored players (Fed, Ralph, Delpony, etc.).

Amiright?

Couldn't be more WRONG ;)

I use wristbands on both hands because I sweat so much. After about two hours of playing sweat is leaking through the bandana so I use the wristband on my left hand to wipe the sweat out of my face and the wristband on my right hand keeps the raquet from slipping from my hand.

But yeah, they also look cool and I use them to mach with my outfitts.

Bobby Jr
02-19-2012, 03:32 AM
I wear one on my racquet arm and it's not for any reason other than I like the support it offers. It is a long-term habit and now it feels weird to ever hit a ball without one on.

Sveinsson
02-19-2012, 03:41 AM
I wear one on my racquet arm and it's not for any reason other than I like the support it offers. It is a long-term habit and now it feels weird to ever hit a ball without one on.

Totally agree. Forgot to put a pair of wristbands in my bag the other day and besides the sweat running down my arms and into my palms it was a very weird and uncomfortable feeling hitting balls without wristbands.

Chyeaah
02-19-2012, 03:50 AM
Wristbands are for looks.

Towels are for when you sweat like a ......

bezs
02-19-2012, 05:14 AM

It helps to have something to clear some sweat off your face when minions like us don't have ballkids handing towels to us. :p

kingofstring
02-19-2012, 06:32 AM
I only use them when I play outside in the heat which is often but inside i dont sweat as much so I dont use them. Just my opinion.

Douggo
02-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Some of us sweat no matter where we play.

Seth
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Couldn't be more WRONG ;)

I use wristbands on both hands because I sweat so much. After about two hours of playing sweat is leaking through the bandana so I use the wristband on my left hand to wipe the sweat out of my face and the wristband on my right hand keeps the raquet from slipping from my hand.

But yeah, they also look cool and I use them to mach with my outfitts.

In all seriousness, I use wristbands for the sweat-wiping function. I am just amused at the lengths people go to acquire special wristbands. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I respect collectors for their passion.

I sweat like a pig, so double-length wristbands are a Godsend.

syc23
02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Never thought about this before but weird thing is that I always seem to play better when I wear a wristband.

kingofstring
02-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Never thought about this before but weird thing is that I always seem to play better when I wear a wristband.

That is all in your head my friend no clothes or shoes make you play better.

johnvujohn
02-19-2012, 01:53 PM
I tape my wrists and wear wristbands over the tape for support. My wrists are prone to a lot of sprains/injuries from playing drums; lots of whipping action going on with drums and tennis.

mikeler
02-19-2012, 01:56 PM
They are primarily used for wiping the cookie crumbs off your face.

Power Player
02-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Wrong. I hate wearing them, but they help keep my grip dry longer. Kind of a must down here. But if looks means having a wristband tan line, then yeah thats awesome. :neutral:

mikeler
02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Love the tan lines PP. Total chick magnet.

kingofstring
02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
^^^NO chicks love the farmers tan

y12.pats
02-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Pretty simple for me, with wristbands- grips last 2 weeks,
without wristbands- grip lasts 3 days. no brainer really and i do like the added benefit of not having to lift my shirt up to wipe my head

CHOcobo
02-20-2012, 06:41 AM
What is the function of the wristband? i have a pair laying around and im just curious since ive never used them before.

more like a sweatband.
in hot and humid weather while playing my sweat drips down my wrist and into the handle. gets very annoying. it helps me a lot. if you don't want yours can you give em to me?

syc23
02-20-2012, 01:59 PM

That's probably true ;)

chrisberchris
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
^^^NO chicks love the farmers tan

They do in Georgia

Tennis is everything
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I sweat like a pig, so double-length wristbands are a Godsend.

Fun fact 1394: Pigs don't sweat :-|

tennisjon
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Personally, I use the wristband to wipe sweat, to use a little bit as a wrist brace, and lastly to color coordinate. I don't hit nearly as well without them because I do use their support for my wrists. If I have tendonitis, then I will put a real wrist brace underneath.

Seth
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Fun fact 1394: Pigs don't sweat :-|

Everyone always reminds me of this. I just respect the idiom.

Chyeaah
02-23-2012, 12:09 AM
It helps to have something to clear some sweat off your face when minions like us don't have ballkids handing towels to us. :p

Just toss it behind on the doubles line.

If you feel like it pay a kid $8 an hour to fetch balls and get your towel xD

Overheadsmash
02-23-2012, 02:34 AM
I Always wear wristbands when playing a match - right one to wipe sweat off face, left one to wipe racquet hand on. During practice, no.

NJ1
02-23-2012, 07:47 AM
I wear two doublewide sweatbands whenever I play a match as they keep my hands dry and I use them to wipe my forehead and back of my hands. I never used to have a proper bag, just a racquet, balls and water so if I was relying on a towel the chances are I'd forget it.

I do not color code them to what I'm wearing (but am totally fine with people who do), most of mine are simple white and high% cotton. I'm used to the feel now, the only negative are the ugly tan lines.

Andreas1965
02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Just toss it behind on the doubles line.

If you feel like it pay a kid $8 an hour to fetch balls and get your towel xD

Yeah, toss the towel into the clay! Great idea ;)

robbo1970
02-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Always known them as sweatbands and for a reason.

Reducing sweat from the arm to the hand, wiping sweat from brow. They do also give a bit of wrist support.

As for fashion purposes...err no. I use plain black Nike ones because they are good quality and the colour is practical. They do not co-ordinate with anything else I wear.

BMC9670
02-27-2012, 05:13 AM

True, but in tennis your head is many times your most important weapon. Feeling good or comfortable mentally can go a long way. If clothes or equipment help you get there, all the better.

adidasman
02-27-2012, 11:06 AM
That is all in your head my friend no clothes or shoes make you play better. If it makes you feel better, and feeling better makes you play better, than it DOES make you play better - regardless of whether or not it's purely psychological. That's like saying believing you can win is "all in your head." Of course it is. You can be every bit as good as the guy across the net from you, and the reason he wins is that he believes that, when he's wearing his lucky wristbands, he can't lose. Do the wristbands "make" him win? No. But, if he believes they do, and he wins, does it matter???

adidasman
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
I Always wear wristbands when playing a match - right one to wipe sweat off face, left one to wipe racquet hand on. During practice, no. Weird - don't you sweat in practice?

kingofstring
02-27-2012, 12:02 PM
If it makes you feel better, and feeling better makes you play better, than it DOES make you play better - regardless of whether or not it's purely psychological. That's like saying believing you can win is "all in your head." Of course it is. You can be every bit as good as the guy across the net from you, and the reason he wins is that he believes that, when he's wearing his lucky wristbands, he can't lose. Do the wristbands "make" him win? No. But, if he believes they do, and he wins, does it matter???

I undrstand lucky stuff but just regular stuff is all in your head.

volleygirl
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Weird - don't you sweat in practice?

I thought same thing. Must only practice for very short period of time.

BMC9670
02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I undrstand lucky stuff but just regular stuff is all in your head.

A good example is one poster wrote that it feels weird to not wear a wristband since he usually does. Well, if you forget to pack them for a match and you feel "weird", it's a distraction.

Personally, if I don't have a new overgrip and a sweatband on my racket arm on a hot, humid day, I'm worried about the racket slipping. I've let a few fly. Distraction.