PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure grip size?

JediAce
02-18-2012, 11:17 PM
I bought a used racket, but its grip is scratched off so I'm trying to figure out how to measure the size. It was listed as 3/8 but it feels a bit bigger than my other rackets so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

scotus
02-18-2012, 11:30 PM
You can wrap a measuring tape around the handle, but even if it is a bit off, it doesn't necessarily mean that the seller made a mistake.

Grip size is measured with the stock grip on the handle. However, some companies use a thick handle and a thin grip (e.g. Yonex). Now at some point the user would replace the stock grip with a different grip, and chances are you will feel that the grip size is much bigger than the listed size.

There are extra-thin and extra-thick replacement grips on the market, so you have some control over how to deal with this issue.

JediAce
02-18-2012, 11:55 PM
You can wrap a measuring tape around the handle, but even if it is a bit off, it doesn't necessarily mean that the seller made a mistake.

Grip size is measured with the stock grip on the handle. However, some companies use a thick handle and a thin grip (e.g. Yonex). Now at some point the user would replace the stock grip with a different grip, and chances are you will feel that the grip size is much bigger than the listed size.

There are extra-thin and extra-thick replacement grips on the market, so you have some control over how to deal with this issue.

It seems like that may be the case. I took off the grip and the pallet was labeled 3 with tk82 underneath it and S underneath that:

http://i.imgur.com/zfkIo.jpg

Any idea if this is the default pallet for a Head I. Prestige MP 3/8?

scotus
02-19-2012, 12:05 AM
No, it is not the default pallet.

i.Prestiges used TK57 pallets, and they would be grey.

The black TK82S pallet you see is the so-called Speed pallet. Those who want a more Wilson- or Prince-type of "square" shape handles rather than Head's traditionally rectangular handles tend to have their pallets changed to the Speed pallets.

But at least the size is correct.