PDA

View Full Version : Balls for clay

Joe Oldschool
02-24-2004, 06:07 PM
When I play on hardcourts, I use either the Penn Master's Series or the Dunlop Grand Prix. Although, I slightly prefer the Dunlop, both are excellent balls on hardcourts. They hold their pressure and their fuzz well (and play well for several sessions with a ball saver). Most important, both are available in my area for a reasonable price.

Anyway, spring is around the corner and I will be playing on clay more frequently. The above balls can sometimes be a little too heavy and too fuzzy for clay. Can anyone recommend a few balls that play well on dirt? Several recommendations would be appreciated, since I will then have to find out what's available in my area.

Thanks.

Deuce
02-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Stay away from Dunlop Grand Prix for clay/indoors. They have as much felt as other brands' Extra Duty Felt balls, and they 'fuzz up' considerably on clay.

Hey, Moe!
02-25-2004, 07:26 PM
The club I play and work at uses Pro Penn regular duty, and they work well. However, they are more expensive. I have a few friends who have clay courts in their backyards, and they buy Penn regular duty. They are inexpensive if you find them in the mega-stores. However, depending on geography, they may not be easy to find. I have had no trouble finding them reasonably priced in warm-weather mega-stores, but have had more trouble here in the Northeast. However, the larger sporting goods chains have them, and sometimes run a special.

Cypo
03-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Penn Championship are the standard here (where there is almost only clay and carpet).