PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Racquet Bag Question

WilsonPlayer101
02-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Do you guys use only the brand name bag that your racquet brand is? For example, if you have a Head racquet do you use only a Head bag, either backpack or the traditional bag? Or do you use a Wilson bag or other brand that does not match your racquet.

I know the important thing is how well you play not if your bag and racquet match but I was just curious.

OrangePower
02-19-2012, 10:48 AM
That's funny because I was making fun of a buddy of mine last night for exactly this reason. He recently switched racquet brands and so went out and bought a brand new matching bag even though his old one is barely 6 months old. He was adamant that they have to match... which I find very silly and irrational. Why spend $80 for a new bag when the old one is perfect? Who cares if the brands match or not? Needless to say, mine don't match and I could care less :-)

eleventeenth street
02-19-2012, 11:02 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=407298

athiker
02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't have any Wilson racquets as I never cared for any I have demoed. I have a Wilson Bag. I liked the bag, so I bought the bag.

WilsonPlayer101
02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Orange, funny thing is I am in your friends position. I played with Wilson for years, from 1994 to 2010 and switched to Head. I bought a Wilson bag in 1994 for $35 when I got my Wilson Pro Staff 6.6 Tour Classic, Jim Courier. When I switched to Head I still used my Wilson bag. No big deal. I recently bought a used nBlade by Wilson which I like. Matches the bag. I found out that I think I play better with my Head Youtek Prestige MP so I am sticking to Head again. I do want a new bag, I want the back pack kind. I could use my old school back pack but I want a tennis back pack. I like the Wilson bags maybe better than the Head but if I get a new bag maybe I should get one that matches the racquet. I am not getting a new bag because I want to match my racquet but because as noted I want a new bag in the backpack style. So do I go with the Wilson because I like the bag better or go with the Head bag because it matches? Do I like the Wilson bag so much better that I get that or do I get the Head bag because it matches, anyway I only like it less by a little? Dilemma, Dilemma.

eleven, thanks for the link to the other discussion. I get from that, that it's okay to mix brands of racquets with bags and that it's not a big deal to do so. I like the light hearted discussion on the topic in that thread.

athiker, you might be doing what I might do. I do like Wilson racquets but my Head Youtek Prestige is my racquet of choice now but I like a Wilson bag so I might just do that and mismatch. Anyway, I am no pro so what does it matter?

I like these bags -

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Tour_Bag_Red/descpageBGWILSON-WTBRLBP.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Tour_Bag_Red/descpageBGWILSON-WTBRSBP.html

The one Head bag I like but I think I like the Wilson bags more -

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_Prestige_Series_Tennis_Bags/descpageBGHEAD-HPSBP.html

michael_1265
02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I buy a bag that works for me, and keep it until it wears out. Right now, that bag is a Head Combi from 2007. Unless you have sponsors giving you bags, coordinating bag with racquet is pretty damn silly.

movdqa
02-19-2012, 06:55 PM
I bought a Wilson bag when I was using Wilson but I liked the bag quite a bit on its own merits in terms of looks and functionality. I'm now using Head racquets (Prestige) and they go in the Wilson bag. Fortunately the color of the bag matches the racquets. I bought the bag about five or six years ago. Before that, I was using an Adidas bag that I got in the early 1980s. I still use that old bag on trips from time to time, to carry electronics.

minitraveller
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I've never matched my bags to my rackets. I just find a bag that I like and use that, although I tend to gravitate towards bags that are less 'popular', so they aren't as easy to get mixed up with others. I picked up a nice bag on a visit to China last year that so far I haven't run across in the states....it's a Chinese brand 'Ar*****'.

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-19-2012, 10:43 PM
it's something I haven't ever thought about, but then, I usually get given a bag with my player package, so..

the current Yonex one is the cheapest thing I have ever seen, too!

Andreas1965
02-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Call me stupid, but I do care. Bag/racquet must match (for me). Same with shirt/shorts and shoes (finally decided to stick to Under Armour apparel, so I can wear any shoe with that - it was tough with Adidas apparel and my beloved Asics GelRes shoes :( ).
I simply feel better, when everything is matching.

adamvann
02-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Used wife's Voelkl bag with Prince frames for a while but got the orange and black Prince bag for my birthday the other day. For apparel and shoes, Adidas all the way.

Chyeaah
02-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Call me stupid, but I do care. Bag/racquet must match (for me). Same with shirt/shorts and shoes (finally decided to stick to Under Armour apparel, so I can wear any shoe with that - it was tough with Adidas apparel and my beloved Asics GelRes shoes :( ).

Well, this is what happens when someone has a spoilt childhood or OCD. I usually go with the best and i don't really care if it doesn't match as long as its feasible.

Eg white shorts and brown top and multi colour shoes = no no no

So basically i really don't give a crap if it works.

I guess you also match your other stuff eg all the computers and phones are made by apple?

r5d3
02-20-2012, 01:06 AM

You wouldn't like me, then. Went out on Friday in Babolat shoes, Fila socks, Head shorts, Adidas shirt and Nike hat. I did have Head wristbands, so at least I matched one thing, lol. Oh yeah, also Volkl racquet and TW bag.

Chyeaah
02-20-2012, 01:24 AM
You wouldn't like me, then. Went out on Friday in Babolat shoes, Fila socks, Head shorts, Adidas shirt and Nike hat. I did have Head wristbands, so at least I matched one thing, lol. Oh yeah, also Volkl racquet and TW bag.

I don't like you as well. You wear adidas and Fila xD. The only good looking shirts these days is the hewitt AO shirt (love the back design) and the nike shirts.

Although if you turn up with all RF/Nike stuff endorsed by pros and you arent at least a 5.0-6.0, heaps of people will be laughing behind your back.

r5d3
02-20-2012, 01:53 AM
I don't like you as well. You wear adidas and Fila xD. The only good looking shirts these days is the hewitt AO shirt (love the back design) and the nike shirts.

Well, I don't tend to wear player shirts, because I'm a big man. With XXLT or XXXL shirts I find what I can, mostly the Nike DriFit's and some standard Adidas crews. Both very comfortable, especially the Nike's.

Although if you turn up with all RF/Nike stuff endorsed by pros and you arent at least a 5.0-6.0, heaps of people will be laughing behind your back.

Not sure I agree. It's like some guy showing up on the basketball court in a LeBron jersey. I don't expect that guy to be at least a D2 caliber player.

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-20-2012, 02:12 AM
yeah, i am a bit fo a joke with clothes. nike shoes, adidas socks, diadora shorts and a lotto shirt!

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Well, I don't tend to wear player shirts, because I'm a big man. With XXLT or XXXL shirts I find what I can, mostly the Nike DriFit's and some standard Adidas crews. Both very comfortable, especially the Nike's.

Not sure I agree. It's like some guy showing up on the basketball court in a LeBron jersey. I don't expect that guy to be at least a D2 caliber player.

although if a guy turns up with 6 matched racquets, I tend to expect 3.5 - 4.0 tops!

Chyeaah
02-20-2012, 02:51 AM
although if a guy turns up with 6 matched racquets, I tend to expect 3.5 - 4.0 tops!

No unless their like 5.5-6.0.

---

if your with full RF and all the RF equiptment, the better people will be like, ahahahaha another one of those fans that don't know how to play tennis.

Andreas1965
02-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Well, this is what happens when someone has a spoilt childhood or OCD. I usually go with the best and i don't really care if it doesn't match as long as its feasible.

Eg white shorts and brown top and multi colour shoes = no no no

So basically i really don't give a crap if it works.

I guess you also match your other stuff eg all the computers and phones are made by apple?
No, this happens when your job offers you decent income :mrgreen:
Most tennis stuff is equally priced. When ready to click the "order" button, why not put matching stuff in the basket?

And of course all my computers and phones are Apple products. And of course I buy a new IPhone each year. Why not? It's nice to have all the pretty things around me.

movdqa
02-20-2012, 05:18 AM
> No, this happens when your job offers you decent income

Or you have rich parents.

> Most tennis stuff is equally priced. When ready to click the "order"
> button, why not put matching stuff in the basket?

It depends on where you buy things.

> And of course all my computers and phones are Apple products. And
> of course I buy a new IPhone each year. Why not? It's nice to have all
> the pretty things around me.

My Phone is a 2003-era Motorola RAZR, but I have a lot of AAPL shares.

> 6x HEAD Youtek Prestige MP , Fairway Grip, Tourna OG

I was expecting 6xPT57A after the post above.

Andreas1965
02-20-2012, 05:31 AM
> No, this happens when your job offers you decent income

Or you have rich parents.

> Most tennis stuff is equally priced. When ready to click the "order"
> button, why not put matching stuff in the basket?

It depends on where you buy things.

> And of course all my computers and phones are Apple products. And
> of course I buy a new IPhone each year. Why not? It's nice to have all
> the pretty things around me.

My Phone is a 2003-era Motorola RAZR, but I have a lot of AAPL shares.

> 6x HEAD Youtek Prestige MP , Fairway Grip, Tourna OG

I was expecting 6xPT57A after the post above.
I guess at age 46 my parents would be quite amused if I asked them to buy me things ;)

If you're happy with your phone, why not? I like to have the newest gadgets, and there's no need to talk to my bank manager about my habits. So, I guess, I'm fine.

And them racquets... before the Prestiges I stuck to my trusty KBlades for over 3 years. Now I'm with the Youtek Prestiges, and since I like them very much, I bought 6 of them (2 new, 4 from the Bay). I'm a notorious string-breaker, 4-5 racquets per week have to be restrung.

I will never understand what the quality/quantity of someone's equipment has to do with the abilities on-court. When you have the money and like the stuff... go shopping! It's good for the economy ;) And btw.: I play 4th highest league in Germany. Don't know what USTA level I could have, we do not have anything like that here in Germany.

Can't help, but the word "envy" comes to my mind...

movdqa
02-20-2012, 05:42 AM
> I guess at age 46 my parents would be quite amused if I
> asked them to buy me things

Not really aimed at you. There are many teenagers on these forums that don't have to worry about money.

> Now I'm with the Youtek Prestiges, and since I like them
> very much, I bought 6 of them (2 new, 4 from the Bay).
> I'm a notorious string-breaker, 4-5 racquets per week
> have to be restrung.

I use full poly in my YTs so I don't need as many but I'm testing the IG Prestiges and so far, I think that it's a very good improvement over the YT - it's just that they are so hard to find right now. I'm not shy about spending a few bucks for racquets but I'm not big about matching bags - more interested in functionality. I never really liked the looks of the Head bags either.

> Can't help, but the word "envy" comes to my mind...

Tennis is a luxury sport; from paying for indoor court time (unless you live in a place with a nice climate and lots of public courts), to tennis balls, shoes, clothes, overgrips, lead tape to racquets. It's a lot cheaper to play basketball or football or many other sports where there is very little equipment relative to the number of participants.

Some people have a lot of disposable income to spend on tennis stuff and many don't. When people ask, I try to discern what they're really asking and what their situation is to make a recommendation given their parameters. I'll answer differently for racquetoholics that seem to have unlimited funds to someone on a budget.

BTW, the Pro Stocks are a lot of fun. You can get configurations that aren't possible with retail frames. There are also many nice collectables out there.

Andreas1965
02-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Tennis is a luxury sport;
I'm a long time bicycle racer. THAT is an expensive sport.

Competitive bike: approx. 5000 € (to be blown in one single big crash in a race :()
Gear, like shoes, helmet, apparel, sports nutrition: 500-1000 €
Wear an tear parts: about 500 € per year

Bike holidays, training camps, sums up to another 3000 €/ year.

New bike every 2 or 3 years. If you are racing, you'll be involved in crashes.

If you're not sponsored (to my luck I was), start saving...

WilsonPlayer101
02-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Looks like there is some tension between people here now regarding this question. To me if you want to have all matched stuff that is fine. If you don't want to have it fine. I was just curious about what people liked. I think most people here are fine with stuff that is not matched.

I guess for me after reading the input by you guys and after thinking about it I should go with a bag I prefer the best regardless of whether the brand matches or not. I think the Wilson bags I prefer over the Head bags so I will go with Wilson. And yes, I prefer Wilson bags over the other brands. It is nice though that the Wilson bags that I like match the color of my Head Prestige and if I decide to go back to my Wilson racquets, well the bag will match the racquets even though the racquets' colors don't match the bag.

As far as matching clothing with shoe. Well I wish I could do that but I have so many different brands that I normally don't match up. As long as I like the clothes and they are comfortable if they don't match fine. I love K-Swiss tennis shoes and have no K-Swiss apparel but lots of Adidas just say and Hurley and I wear them all together. I actually don't like the K-Swiss apparel as much as the Adidas stuff so I probably won't be buying K-Swiss apparel to match, and shoes I prefer K-Swiss over Adidas. Funny how things work out. But then again one day maybe I will all match up.

By the way, I play at public courts where people don't care if my bag and racquet or shoes and shirts and shorts brands match. Maybe if I was at some snooty club playing yes, but at the park no one minds if I do not match. Would be nice though.

bluetrain4
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I can't believe this topic comes up so regularly.

Deuces Wild
02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I start feeling self conscious if too much of my gear/clothing matches. As if I'm setting up a very high standard and raising people's expectations.

eleventeenth street
02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
i just play naked until the cops show up.

WilsonPlayer101
02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
i just play naked until the cops show up.

Hopefully you are a woman in your 20s or 30s in shape!

WilsonPlayer101
02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I start feeling self conscious if too much of my gear/clothing matches. As if I'm setting up a very high standard and raising people's expectations.

I know what you are saying. I don't want to look like I think I am a great player. I am not a great player. I am okay and I go out and have fun. So when I come in to the court with my Wilson combi bag I am afraid people might think that I think I am a great player only to find out I am not. I just want a nice tennis bag. I want a backpack style instead of using my combi but I think I will go with the Wilson bag since I prefer that over the Head bags.

WilsonPlayer101
02-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I can't believe this topic comes up so regularly.

Tried to do a search on this topic using the search function and even though this topic might come up a lot I get way to many results that are not even the subject of my search, that's why I had to start a new thread.

r5d3
02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
By the way, I play at public courts where people don't care if my bag and racquet or shoes and shirts and shorts brands match. Maybe if I was at some snooty club playing yes, but at the park no one minds if I do not match. Would be nice though.

Unless you play in the Hamptons, or Beverly Hills (or maybe Düsseldorf :) ) , people at clubs don't care what you wear either.