PDA

View Full Version : Head Racket Recommendation

PigPen
02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I am a 50 year old 4.5 player (used to be 5.0). I have a one-handed backhand and a semi-western forehand. I typically rally with a medium swing speed with medium spin on both forehand and backhand. I flatten out short bals with a higher swing speed. I also like to serve and volley and play quite a bit of doubles. I have had shoulder, wrist and forearm issues from either stiff rackets and/or strings.

I am looking for a solid racket with good plowthrough, responsive high in the head, less than 12 oz, excellent feel, lower swingweight than IG Rad Pro, simialr power to Donnay Pro One and more than 4 pts headlight.

I am currenly playing with a PSGT. Liked the frame with some lead at 12 at quite a bit on handle (11.8 oz) but thought it did not have the greatest feel.

Was thinking about the IG Prestige MP but was concerned it would be too low powered. If so, would I be able to compensate in the type of string or tension? What type of string / tension would be recommended for me?

Head experts, what do you think?

movdqa
02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Your own analysis is quite good. The Prestige is low-powered. Strings can help but you really need lead at 12 if you want some power while keeping static weight low.

Yes, the feel on the Prestige is great.

tymmh789
02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
I just switched to the prestige pro (youtek only version). It is a little stiff but I have had no pain at all even with a full poly. I don't know how open you are to other suggestions but the prince rebel is a really, really soft stick. I played with the original one with a full poly at 55lbs and never once had pain in my arm. I wouldn't let the headsize hold you back because head's 98inch racquets are very close if not the same as other companies 95inch racquets.

movdqa
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
If you have a history of arm problems, then I'd definitely go with the IG over the YT. I've used the YT since last summer and had some arm problems with it until I upped the static weight to my usual specifications. The IG is quite a bit better in the arm health department - at least it feels that way to me.

PigPen
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
How much lead would I need at 12? The frame is already near my under 12 oz. limit.

Disgruntled Worker
02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I'd go with either a Volkl Power Bridge 9 or a Dunlop 4D 300 Tour. Both rackets are relatively soft on the arm, have great feel and control, and are perfect pallets for customization.

drummerdan
02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I just playtested the IG Prestige MP today for the first time and it's an impressive racquet. It plays similar to my Volkl PB10 mid but a little stiffer, easier to maneuver and more forgiving. Yes, it's a low-powered racquet but I was able to crank it when I needed to. My arm is a little tired but no pain - so far.

jerryjin
02-20-2012, 01:16 AM
I would recommend the Head Youtek IG Radical Pro, Excellent racket

heninfan99
02-20-2012, 06:41 AM
I think the plow through on the IG MP is debatable but otherwise you'll love it.