PDA

View Full Version : kevlar?

lgbalfa
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
are current racquets still made with kevlar?

what was the benefit with this material?

thanks

CrackerJack
02-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Good question. Kevlar is a very tough, very strong material used to make bullet proof vests - its used to increase tensile strenth and stability. From memory i think the Pure Drive had kevlar in it at some stage. Also the K90 and every version before it had kevlar in its composition. The current PSBLX is all basalt according to the TW specs. No graphite? I find this a bit confusing. The slazenger pro braided has kevlar. Original head prestiges had Twaron which is an almost identical material to kevlar.

floydcouncil
02-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Good question. Kevlar is a very tough, very strong material used to make bullet proof vests - its used to increase tensile strenth and stability. From memory i think the Pure Drive had kevlar in it at some stage. Also the K90 and every version before it had kevlar in its composition. The current PSBLX is all basalt according to the TW specs. No graphite? I find this a bit confusing. The slazenger pro braided has kevlar. Original head prestiges had Twaron which is an almost identical material to kevlar.

Kevlar is mostly used for dampening factors, not increasing stiffness in a racquet.

Jack Romeo
02-20-2012, 06:19 AM
the original pro staff 6.0 had kevlar, right? and it's still being produced.

Fuji
02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Kevlar is a magical substance that all the GOATS use. It softens up a racket while giving it a bit more stability.

All hail King Kevlar!!!

-Fuji

Hidious
02-20-2012, 01:50 PM

Are you sure older Pure Drives and K90 had Kevlar? i've never heard of that. I'm aware a lot of older praised frames have it, like the Wilson 6.1 classic and Head also had Boron which is similar to Kevlar AFAIK. Also, older dunlop frames like the hotmelts and M-Fil are labelled as having a "kevlar yoke" in their composition. I like the feel of my M-Fils better than most recent iterations of the 200 line.

tennistiger
02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Boron is totally different, it is metal based. Zylon (Some Babolats, Yonex SRQ700 ) is nearly the same as Kevlar but from another brand.

CrackerJack
02-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Kevlar is mostly used for dampening factors, not increasing stiffness in a racquet.

I didnt say anything about increasing stiffness and I'm not sure about its dampening properties. I do know that it is a very strong material