PDA

View Full Version : Porsche and Wilson comparison

asifallasleep
02-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Unfortunately like many things, as time goes on, companies make their products cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. They old adage, "They just don't make them like they used to."

We get inferior products and the companies continue charging either more or the same money for re-marketed re-hash, but not as good as the original.

See the Porsche and Wilson comparison below:

K90 (Pinnacle of the series, a tank, well made, a classic) = Porsche 993 (Last hand made and air cooled 911. An indestructible tank. Collector's item)

BLX90 (Less raw feel, prone to paint chipping, attempt by company for more mass appeal, easier to use) = Porsche 996 (first mass produced Porsche, water cooled 911, cheaply made, less raw when compared to 993, numerous quality control issues including catastrophic RMS and IMS problems)

BLXPS90 (Materials feel even cheaper, frame not as solid, quality control weight issues all over the place, hollow pingy sound on impact, paint job shiny and "toylike", quick, light, made for mass appeal, made to be easier to use) = Porsche 986 (Not even a 911 but a cheap Boxster. Quick, light, fast, cheaply made, easy to drive, prone to RMS issues, terrible resale value, but made for mass appeal and sales).

Even the earlier K90's (K)arbon Black were superior to the later (K)arophite Black models.

El Diablo
02-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Umm, I think the analogy fails as you switch in your last full paragraph from the 911 to the Boxster, an entirely different model INTENDED to be cheaper, which is not the case with the progression of racquets you describe. Beyond that, most products are vastly more reliable and better made than they once were. (Are you old enough to remember problems with tuners, vertical hold, etc. on TVs?). Racquets generally feel less solid now than before because they are for the most part lighter, due to an aged consumer market that wants lighter sticks.

blipblop
02-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Just to play devil's advocate:

The K90 itself was a successor to the (Hyper Series) Tour 90 and n90. Unfortunately my knowledge of cars is not up to par to continue the analogy.

What consumers need to realize is that not every iteration of a certain racquet or line of racquest will be an improvement over its predecessors. But once in a while, each racquet company comes out with a special stick, one that is "the best of its breed" so to speak.

For instance: Wilson k90, Yonex SRD Tour, Volkl PB10, etc. Typically you can spot these racquets because they have good reviews, longer production/sale lifespans, and often times they sell at full price until end of production. In other words, they never go on "sale."

Based on this viewpoint, the way to shop would be not to buy every iteration of your favorite racquet, but to demo all different brands and models, read reviews, and stock up on the special ones when they come out. Mint k90's can fetch a pretty penny. =)

Harry_Wild
02-20-2012, 07:04 AM
If you have not notice recently; most all automobiles are built better and last longer then the earlier models before it!

Most tennis racket I feel are just painted much nicer then they were earlier on! Not sure I can comment on the built and performance but I think for the most part; they are better ..... generally speaking because of technology - computer design and computer manufacturing.

Sardines
02-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately like many things, as time goes on, companies make their products cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. They old adage, "They just don't make them like they used to."

We get inferior products and the companies continue charging either more or the same money for re-marketed re-hash, but not as good as the original.

See the Porsche and Wilson comparison below:

K90 (Pinnacle of the series, a tank, well made, a classic) = Porsche 993 (Last hand made and air cooled 911. An indestructible tank. Collector's item)

BLX90 (Less raw feel, prone to paint chipping, attempt by company for more mass appeal, easier to use) = Porsche 996 (first mass produced Porsche, water cooled 911, cheaply made, less raw when compared to 993, numerous quality control issues including catastrophic RMS and IMS problems)

BLXPS90 (Materials feel even cheaper, frame not as solid, quality control weight issues all over the place, hollow pingy sound on impact, paint job shiny and "toylike", quick, light, made for mass appeal, made to be easier to use) = Porsche 986 (Not even a 911 but a cheap Boxster. Quick, light, fast, cheaply made, easy to drive, prone to RMS issues, terrible resale value, but made for mass appeal and sales).

Even the earlier K90's (K)arbon Black were superior to the later (K)arophite Black models.

Ah 2 of my favorite things that I own:
PS85=964 (last of the old shape and suspension but raw!)
PS90=993 (finally a stable rear end that won't bite if you miss)
K90= 997 GT3 (power,handling,feedback)
BLXPS90= 991 (less feedback, more grip)

I will miss the K90 when I retire my last 3 frames and move on to a mid-plus lighter racquet. Then again it's like moving from a GT3 RS to a Turbo PDK, better power and easier to drive. :)

stormholloway
02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
As a 993 owner there is some truth to the analogy, however I love the new PS BLX 90. It certainly feels closer to the 85 in my hand. It's a lot softer than the K90 and 85, but I like the way it plays and think it's slightly lighter weight lends itself well to customization.

I don't at all hear the pingy response either. To me it's soft and crisp.

stormholloway
02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
If you have not notice recently; most all automobiles are built better and last longer then the earlier models before it!

Not in the case of 911. The 996 had numerous issues as did the 997 up until about 2005. There are many cases of complete engine breakages due to a design flaw.

The 993 holds up much better than the 996, hence why they're much more expensive than the 996 in aftermarket.