PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a strater!?

Xpherex
02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Tomorrow is the day. I will receive my final parts of the stringer I have bought.
It's a drop weight with ratchet, fixed clamps and 6 mounting points.
As I have broke strings on all my rackets. There is a lot job for me. I have watched most of the videos from Irvin (Mr10Stringer) with an exception for wood rackets, and read everything I could find about stringing. So before I will start stringing I want to make things clear about things I'm not sure and I would like to hear any other tips and ideas which I may forget.
I will start with my old Prince Synergy Edge Titanium however I couldn't find the exact racket on Prince site for stringing instruction but I found two rackets with almost similar name, but the specs and tension recommendation are the same and the ties looks to be correct for my racket as the wholes are a bit larger for ties.My question is mostly about crosses.
1. I tie the cross with starting knot at 5h on the M string and go to 8h (from outside of course) and tension it, and then got down until I finish. am I correct?
2. What If I do 50/50 the crosses will it damage my racket? what advantage will I have?
3. For how long should I tension the string before clamping it to get best results? main and crosses?
4. I read in some guide that crosses are recommended to tension 1kg less is that true?

My second racket is Head Dominion 660 (very old one)
I couldn't find any stringing instruction for this racket, this was usually strung with 1 peace but I don't know how it was strung originally. I can guess from the wholes where are the ties, so should I trust my eyes or there is better way to know?

Link to the prince instruction: http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/product.aspx?cid=193&ProductId=838

Steve Huff
02-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Who is "strater"?

Xpherex
02-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Who is "strater"?sorry, starter. lol

esgee48
02-20-2012, 04:40 PM
SP has these instructions:

Head Dominion 660 60-68#, 16x19, skip mains 7&9T 7&9H, start at throat, tie off mains at 6T, 1st cross 7H, last cross 7T, tie off cross at 5H & 5T. I'm guessing T=Throat and H=Head

I guess you could do a 1 piece as the older heads allowed it. It would be bottom to top in that case. Their instructions does say top to bottom.

As far as tighter or looser crosses, that depends on the player's wants. Some want tighter by 1-2#, others want looser by 1-4#.

As far as how long to maintain tension, it should just be done consistently. You would not want to tension the mains at 30 seconds and crosses at 10 seconds. If it were me, I would clamp as soon as the weight stops moving and is reasonably level (+/- 5 degrees.)

COPEY
02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
You'll probably want to bookmark this page (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172626) - quite a few very useful videos by Yulitle.

Overheadsmash
02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
You'll probably want to bookmark this page (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172626) - quite a few very useful videos by Yulitle.

I learned to string from Yulitle and Drakulie - both on youtube.

Get some synthetic gut to learn with - I learned with a whole bunch of regular gamma synthetic gut. Also, start with a really cheap racquet. My first attempts were with a Prince that was from 1993 and bought at Wal Mart or someplace like that. It was purple. Use a piece of junk - this way if you destroy it you won't feel bad.

Watch those videos, and practice! Stringing is fun - it's like therapy for me actually. I put on some music and string away.

Xpherex
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Esgee48 that's very strange as my dominion was never strung 18x19unless there are shared holes. I do not remember how it looked when I bought it as I was too young. Also the recommended tension is 54-64 I usually asked to string it @ 55 on a lockout. Could you post the link?

Copey, thanks he was already bookmarked.

esgee48
02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Link to SP:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090313053300/http://www.sptennis.com/patterns/FramesHead.html

Mea culpa, I see I meant to type 16x19 which is on the link.

Xpherex
02-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Well I strung today 2 rackets.
One as I've mentioned above prince synergy edge titanium with wilson extreme syn gut. all went "ok" well for a first time I guess it's ok but than suddenly before I was about to finish crosses, in a sudden the string of main broke, the one which closer to the tie. my guess was that this string got broke because it was bought in 2006. or it doesn't matter? I was stringing at 28kg btw.
than I left to my second racket Head Dominion 660, I strung it with spin poly 1.28 @M25kg,X25 and some why I found it easier, could be because It was my second one. ties are hard to get and I guess because they look to simple but harder with poly to tie but that's it overall except the feel of poly on the fingers while stringing and after. I have missed 1 cross on dominion but I will fix it next time.

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
According to Stringer's Digest, the Dominion 660 is 2pc only @60-68lbs. You can't always go by what's on the frame. Mfrs do change the recommended specs sometimes. USRSA stays on top of this.
24 or 25k seems reasonable for poly in this frame.
I could not find 'Edge' amongst any of the Prince models. Are there other markings on the frame?

esgee48
02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I suspect that the Prince Synergy Edge Titanium is a 'Walmart', 'Costco' or other big box specialty because I couldn't find this racquet anywhere either. :???:

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I just may have to send an email to Racquettech.com

Xpherex
02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I was stringing prince and other synergy's on prince site. as it seems from the specs to be same as written on the racket. and the wholes were bigger for ties

fortun8son
02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
As long as you have the right skips and tie-offs, you'll be fine
Older Prince racquets are pretty straightforward.

Xpherex
02-22-2012, 01:08 PM
As long as you have the right skips and tie-offs, you'll be fine
Older Prince racquets are pretty straightforward.even without reading the instructions it would be very hard to pull main string in cross grommet, so I guess it almost imposible to do a mistake. ties mostly seen because they are larger however I find a lot of damaged grommets (at least 1-2) were was made a wrong knote, or maybe not wrong just not as the instruction says.

2nd, I always mess up with the wilson pro knot, maybe because I'm using poly strings. I need to order synthetic, something more elastic.

3rd, weaving 2nd half of the racket becomes harder than the first half.

Xpherex
02-24-2012, 03:01 AM
My stringer grip over tightening the string sometimes, and damages it a bit. How can I avoid it? in what position should be the string gripper when I tension?