PDA

View Full Version : Switching to purestorm Ltd.

pe3brain
02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
So I have a friend who is willing to sell me 2 pure storm ltd.'s the 08 version for 80 bucks a piece if I want, and I am interested I am just wondering what to expect out of them, compared to my aerostorms, because I can't play with them right now due to snow :/

SlapShot
02-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Coming from the ASGT, you're adding a bit of weight and more flexibility.

I found the LTD to be whippy before I added lead to it, and even with lead, it was low powered. I had no trouble on the serve, but with groundies, I had to rely on placement more than sheer power. It's a fantastic touch frame though.

pe3brain
02-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I loaded my ASGT with lead at the 11 and 2 and one of the LTD's has some lead on the hoop, Can I still hit out though, because I love to be able to hit out on the ball and I am also reconstructing my forehand (changing my take to a loop rather than a straight take back) would this affect my play as well?

Power Player
02-20-2012, 11:15 AM
You are a 3.5 and you loaded an AST with lead? why??

I would not use the Pst ltd, as it is an advanced racquet ideally for experienced players with flatter and more classic strokes.

Get a modern tweener stick and dont put lead on it. Start there and get your game up to the 4.0 level. You will make things more difficult with the PST ltd.

You can hit out with any racquet, you just have to have proper technique. With the PST ltd, you will have to hit out all the time, and no 3.5, let alone 4.5 can do that and win consistently.

corners
02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
The feel of the PSL is good, but other than that it's the most gutless stick I've ever hit with. And it has the narrowest, smallest sweetzone of any non-wood stick I've tried. I'd look elsewhere.

pe3brain
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
You are a 3.5 and you loaded an AST with lead? why??

I would not use the Pst ltd, as it is an advanced racquet ideally for experienced players with flatter and more classic strokes.

Get a modern tweener stick and dont put lead on it. Start there and get your game up to the 4.0 level. You will make things more difficult with the PST ltd.

You can hit out with any racquet, you just have to have proper technique. With the PST ltd, you will have to hit out all the time, and no 3.5, let alone 4.5 can do that and win consistently.
3.5 is a self assessment I could be part of one dubs for my high school team, we might have an outside shot at state, I loaded up the ASGT because I it waas too whippy, unstable, and made my forehands too inconsistent, and when I added weight it helped give it more stability which was really nice but I tore my ACL mid july and just got cleared to play last thursday, and I one of my big problems with my racquet is it seems have like hot spots on the string bed.

Power Player
02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Ok, so if you havent played since July and you are possibly going to be a decent high school player, I don't see why you would hamper yourself with a PSt ltd.

pe3brain
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
I just want a more consistent forehand and the string bed response I'm getting from my current racquets are preventing that from happening and one of my friends who is really good was looking to sell a couple of them and wanted to see what to expect from them.

minitraveller
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
I just switched to regular Pure Storm GT's, coming from a Pure Drive Roddick GT. I love the feel of the PS's and can generate my own power, so don't miss that from the Roddicks. I've never played with the AeroStorms, but I am going to guess that the PSL that you're thinking about getting is going to feel quite a bit different and will have even less pop. You should definitely demo them before you agree to buy them. I'm thinking especially if you're going to play more dubs, the 95 head size of the Limited is going to make things more difficult for you. I'd wait until you get a chance to hit before making the decision to buy them.

minitraveller
02-20-2012, 11:53 AM
I just want a more consistent forehand and the string bed response I'm getting from my current racquets are preventing that from happening and one of my friends who is really good was looking to sell a couple of them and wanted to see what to expect from them.

Again, just my opinion, but, I'd concentrate on getting your technique secure enough that you can be consistent with your forehands with your current setup, rather than thinking a switch to a new, typically more demanding racket, is going to solve your consistency problems. Good luck!

Meaghan
02-20-2012, 11:54 AM
The other posters are right give yourself a chance to win. With the LTD you may beat your peers but you will have no chance taking a step up the ladder. This is a tough stick its got next to no power, infact I hit with a Head comfort edge a while back with an 81" head and it had more power and a bigger sweetspot!

GEt yourself a solid tweener type stick, PP above is hitting with the Pro Open, there's the vantage bc30, BB London, o3 white, there's a lot on the market and they will all be better suited than the PSL, they will also give you room to improve.

Also TB @60lbs is too much tension, you will kill the poly, I used to have it @58lbs and it lasted a match. I now string TB around 50lbs and I havent had any problems with control.

Oh and there's only one hotspot on a racket and thats the sweetspot!

thug the bunny
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
The PSL is probably one of the lowest powered sticks around, so you will be hitting full out most of the time, and if you don't have developed strokes you will be going through a pretty big learning and development period.

I actually did this with a PSL about 3 yrs ago. It took me about 4-6 months to learn how to use a full shoulder turn, unwind from the ground up, and most importantly develop the timing of a longer swing and incorporating a relaxed wrist lag that releases the weight of the racket at contact. A much different swing than what I had been using with big light stiff power sticks.

pe3brain
02-20-2012, 12:15 PM
The other posters are right give yourself a chance to win. With the LTD you may beat your peers but you will have no chance taking a step up the ladder. This is a tough stick its got next to no power, infact I hit with a Head comfort edge a while back with an 81" head and it had more power and a bigger sweetspot!

GEt yourself a solid tweener type stick, PP above is hitting with the Pro Open, there's the vantage bc30, BB London, o3 white, there's a lot on the market and they will all be better suited than the PSL, they will also give you room to improve.

Also TB @60lbs is too much tension, you will kill the poly, I used to have it @58lbs and it lasted a match. I now string TB around 50lbs and I havent had any problems with control.

Oh and there's only one hotspot on a racket and thats the sweetspot!
what racquet do you recommend then? I've already listed my problems with my current racquet do you need to know anything else?

Meaghan
02-20-2012, 12:40 PM
what racquet do you recommend then? I've already listed my problems with my current racquet do you need to know anything else?

You sound like a 3.5 who is looking to improve, I expect you have decent strokes and are looking to get more consistency in your game. The difference between the levels is consistency and maybe a big weapon of some sort. The PSL may give you a certain amount of control but if the stick is too much for you then it is only going to hurt your game.

Personally I think the key is to tame a powerful racket than to hit out all the time. But there is a balance to be had so its difficult to say which racket. Consistency comes in hitting full shots not at 100% but something more conservative, knowing you can up the pace when needed.

If I was a 3.5 with full strokes looking for consistency I would be looking at something with an 98-100" head, in the mid weight range 315-330g (that gives you room to modify a little) and that has a little flex around 60 -64ra that would suit a stiffer co-poly like tour bite.

EDIT: If I had to plump for a couple it would be the Yonex Vcore 98D or the Boris Becker London....

pe3brain
02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
what do you mean when you say plump?

Meaghan
02-20-2012, 01:24 PM
what do you mean when you say plump?

Sorry, british terminology.......plump ~ ' Go for'.....do your research, find a few rackets in your zone, always look to go under in weight so you can add weight if necessary. You obviously like a racket that doesn't have too low a swingweight as you add weight so it doesn't come thro so quick....that's good thinking. If you are happy with the balance of your aero storm then stick close to that, its amazing the way a racket feels with a couple of balance points difference than what you are used to.

You're on a journey mate, keep a mental note of what you like and what you don't.

c_hari_c
02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I had switched to PSL before and had it for 2 years before getting rid of them for the same reason mentioned in this thread by many people - low power. It feels dead to me. Try the Babolat Pure Storm Tour instead. It may work out better as it has more power and high swing weight. That's the reacket I am using now.

KenC
02-21-2012, 08:22 AM
I use the '09 GT version and like it much better than the non-GT version. I definitely recommend demoing that stick plus the GT version thoroughly before committing. If you don't put good weight transfer into your shots I would run away fast from this stick.

ryushen21
02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
What other posters here have said is pretty spot on. The PSL is a great frame. I love the feel and the control and everything that the frame has to offer but I would not play with it on a regular basis. I'm an upper 3.5/Low 4.0 and I can hit great in rally situations with the PSL but not in match play.

If you are wanting a consistent, control based frame, there are plenty of options out there for you. The new BLX 6.1 95 18x20 has easy power but also great precision, the Prestige MP lets you supply your own power but is possibly the greatest control racquet of all time, the Donnay Platinum 99, Radical MP, Black Ace 98...I mean the list goes on and all of those frames are easier to use and will provide you with better results than you would see out of the PSL.

The PSL just requires a very advanced and very focused high level player to consistently extract the maximum results. I think that I, and several other posters here, know some pretty high level players (4.0-5.5+) that are super consistent and still have issues with this frame.

Make a list of frames to try, demo and find one that you are happiest with.

Fuji
02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Awesome frame with A+ comfort and feel, but a bit too low powered. I played it stock for a while and it's so nice, but it was getting back when someone like me, (Flat/slice old school type player) was having problems getting out gunned with it. I couldn't even imagine playing a modern game with it. It's so nice, but way too low powered. Serving was awesome, but volleys were a bit dead and same with my forehand. Backhand was gold however.

-Fuji

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, I couldn't get any power with the damn things, and I hit pretty hard...

Nice feel, stable and all that, but I felt like I was playing with Orange balls!

Get yourself a nice control tweener lke a Bio 400 or a V-Core 98D, or just stick with Aero storm, what's so terrible about them, anyway?

SlapShot
02-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Nice feel, stable and all that, but I felt like I was playing with Orange balls!

I felt the exact same way - I didn't even notice it until I was goofing around with a Precision Response. With less input, I was getting much more output. At that point, I knew that I had to move on to something a little less demanding.

Pneumated1
02-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Personally I think the key is to tame a powerful racket than to hit out all the time. . . . Consistency comes in hitting full shots not at 100% but something more conservative, knowing you can up the pace when needed.

EDIT: If I had to plump for a couple it would be the Yonex Vcore 98D or the Boris Becker London....

Get yourself a nice control tweener lke a Bio 400 or a V-Core 98D, or just stick with Aero storm, what's so terrible about them, anyway?

I like this line of thinking. I used to think control, control, control. But then it dawned on me one day that the best players that I watch professionally, and even the better players around me, have learned the skill of controlling a mid-powerful to powerful frame. I don't see them trying to wring every last ounce of power out of an anemic raquet. I'm sure some do and can, but I'm 6'2", 175lbs, so a fraction more power helps me out.

I've hit a modified London for around a year, and the balance of control and pop are more than satisfactory. I'm also demoing a Bio. 300 right now with a leather grip, overgrip, 6 grams at 3/9, and head tape over the bumper, and this one is sublime, maybe the best balance of control and pop that I've found, but that is with modifications. You may consider it as well.

Huzzah
02-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I have finally let go of trying to perfect playing with the PSLTD. It can do great things, but it will break your heart when you can't get the power when you need it.

msalamon
02-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I've hit a modified London for around a year, and the balance of control and pop are more than satisfactory.

What is your London mod?

Pneumated1
02-22-2012, 12:24 PM
What is your London mod?

I've almost perfectly replicated the Dunlop grip shape with hockey tape on the pallet. I'll eventually post the details of such in a London thread for those interested.

On top of that, I have a leather grip, overgrip, 5-6 grams at 3/9, and head tape over the bumper.

I'm experimenting with putting half of the weight that I have at 3/9 in the throat, e.g., 3 grams for 6 grams at 3/9. I used this mod for quiet awhile, but I just recently removed it, and I find that the more flexible throat gives me a hint more control, although with the throat weight it plays a little firmer with more pop, as would be expected.

KenC
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
For those interested in this racquet, I should say that it is not a racquet that you string with some low powered poly at high tension. It is not a Pure Drive. This racquet works really well with comfortable multis in the low 50s, even in the higher 40s for tension. This gives the ball a lot more pace and spin and makes the racquet unbelievably comfortable to hit all day long with. Surprisingly, the serious control this frame offers is still there and in abundance at these tensions.

This is a very good approach for those with elbow and shoulder problems. Low powered frame strung low with a multi yields a very comfy hit and while it still never becomes a rocket launcher, it does produce enough power to easily hit long and even the back fence with ease.

Another thing to consider is how much power do you we need? I need just enough to hit hard and in. If I pick up a Pure Drive I can hit a little harder, but keeping the ball in becomes a serious challenge. I definitely am winning more matches with my PSLGT against 5.0 players than I ever could with a Pure Drive.

6-2/6-4/6-0
02-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I demo'd the PSLGT and the Dunlop Bio200 together. Of the two, I would take the Bio any day. It had better feel and power. I felt more connected to the ball, volleys were more solid and had better touch, and I could hit out better from the baseline. The Pure Storm had more of a dead feel and it didn't give me confidence in my shots because of the lack of ball impact feedback. Volleys felt weak and required a bit more swing to put them away, and from the baseline I could play my game (move the ball around until you get an opening to approach), but I never felt like I could take a big crack at the ball from the baseline if I had an open court and really have control of the ball.

If you are interested in moving to more of a player's stick, then it's certainly an idea worth testing out. But I wouldn't jump at the pure storm, and would recommend waiting until the weather is better and giving a few rackets a try to see what you really like.

li0scc0
02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
So I have a friend who is willing to sell me 2 pure storm ltd.'s the 08 version for 80 bucks a piece if I want, and I am interested I am just wondering what to expect out of them, compared to my aerostorms, because I can't play with them right now due to snow :/

Stick with the Aero Storm. Great racquet.
The Pure Storm LTD is intriguing, but I rarely see anybody use it effectively. On our local D1 team (top 50), one player, the #7 or #8 singles player, could not use it effectively and switched to the Aero Storm Tour GT...and is playing MUCH MUCH better. Another D1 player at a different school (top 40) used it briefly. He was the #1 or #2 player, and hated it. ONly used it a few months and switched back to his previous stick.
I think the racquet could be excellent for the right player. It FEELS great, and I ENJOY using it a lot. Results are terrible, though, for me. My rating drops 0.5 points immediately when I try using it. And I am used to using a 95 square inch 18x20 345SW 12.8 ounce Adidas Barricade Tour.

ryushen21
02-23-2012, 06:23 AM
And I am used to using a 95 square inch 18x20 345SW 12.8 ounce Adidas Barricade Tour.

You should have tried my 396g, 387SW AST.....

Back to the topic at hand. I still think, even after reading what everyone else has said, that you would be much happier going with one of the other current 18x20 MP frames. I'll give you my short list and reasons why....

IG Prestige MP - Has the exceptional feel that you are looking for combined with extreme precision. Provided that you don't string with full poly at high tension, there will still be enough power for you to easily hit hard but keep the ball in the court.

BLX 6.1 95 18x20 - Firmer feel than the Prestige but not harsh, more easy power on demand and great control. You can do mid-tension full poly and still retain most of the feel characteristics you want.

Dunlop Bio 200 - great feel and easy enough to customize up to your preferred spec. Not as good, IMHO, as the Prestige or the BLX but still a compeltely decent frame.

Kevo
02-23-2012, 11:41 AM
I really like the PSL. I have been using 3 of them since their release, and I don't really find it to be too low powered. On the other hand, if you don't have a fully developed swing, it's definitely not the frame for you. If you have a big fast swing, but can't control it, then the PSL might serve you well, but expect a learning curve and be ready to commit.

I agree with the post above that implied power can be over rated. You don't need to be able to hit a groundstroke 100mph to win points. 80mph is plenty especially if you have good control over your shots.

I'd also like to say that these frames have been excellent quality. I don't abuse my frames and only one of them has any appreciable court rash. Several of the guys I hit with regularly have had to have their frames replaced multiple times from cracking and my PSLs are still in good condition.

gloumar
02-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Awesome frame with A+ comfort and feel, but a bit too low powered. I played it stock for a while and it's so nice, but it was getting back when someone like me, (Flat/slice old school type player) was having problems getting out gunned with it. I couldn't even imagine playing a modern game with it. It's so nice, but way too low powered.
-Fuji

Hi, +1 fuji. Came to it from the aerogel200. Wanted to explore that 95 18*20 world...
I loved mostly the balance and flex of the Pure Storm Ltd, but true it was difficult to play, as I tried to play a agressive topspin game frome the baseline with it.
I loved the very good spin ability it had despite of the 18*20 pattern (due to flex and headlight balance I guess).
I can only remember good feelings and moments and how this racquet made me progress ! But I didn't win much matches lol ;)