PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get old/broken strings out of cap grommet system?

jonahnaturals
02-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi all -

I have a Head Youtek IG Prestige MP, and would appreciate some guidance on how to best remove broken/old strings.

With a cap grommet, I find that it's harder to pull strings out after cutting them down the middle of the frame.

Is it best to pull each one out with pliers?

What's the best way to pull the strings out while minimizing risk of damaging the grommets?

Thanks very much.

rich s
02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I've usually just grabbed one of the ends with a pair of pliers and pulled it out....

esgee48
02-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I do not like CAP grommets. To remove strings that go thru the CAP, I cut them about 2 inches from the frame. Yank them out with a pair of pliers. I reduce chance of friction burns, etc. by leaving only a short piece of string. Strings that don't go thru the CAP are cut in the middle. I do not like to string racquets with CAP grommets!

Clintspin
02-21-2012, 03:04 AM
esgee48, you post was starting to sound like a good Dr. Seuss book.

Racquet-Priority
02-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Just grap them on one side with pliers.

What's the problem with cap grommets?

Irvin
02-21-2012, 06:01 AM
The strings make a loop on the outside of the frame I cut one side of that loop close to the grommet inside the frame and pull the other.

EDIT: Find the knot for the top cross and cut the top cross near the frame on the same side as the knot. Then cut the second cross near the frame on the other side, third cross on the knot side, etc...

Dags
02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
I push the strings so that they exit on the outside of the frame rather than pulling them through. Hold both ends with the same hand, and push.

With poly this is a piece of cake, and I don't have problems with most other strings. Every now and then I'll find a really soft multi that just doesn't want to push through the CAPS in which case I have to pull, but 95% of the time this technique works for me. Playing with a Prestige for the last 3 years gave me a lot of practice!